Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Saw some build on reddit suggest an improvement over Sword Saint with a level of Scaled Fist, 2 Levels of Paladin, a level of Sorc, 3 levels of 2 handed fighter, some dragon disciple levels (4?) and rest in sword saint. The point was to have crazy defenses (cha to AC and Saves, plus Int to AC) on top of good 2 hander damage. But I'm not sure if Dragon Disciple levels are worth it. Thoughts?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A Sword Saint with 1 level monk dip already has impenetrable defences if you play semi-competently.
Now have a good, long look at all the Sword Saint abilities. Do you really think that anything you could gain from further multiclassing holds a candle to these abilities and their progression?

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Saw some build on reddit suggest an improvement over Sword Saint with a level of Scaled Fist, 2 Levels of Paladin, a level of Sorc, 3 levels of 2 handed fighter, some dragon disciple levels (4?) and rest in sword saint. The point was to have crazy defenses (cha to AC and Saves, plus Int to AC) on top of good 2 hander damage. But I'm not sure if Dragon Disciple levels are worth it. Thoughts?
The fact that the build includes 3 levels of two-handed fighter clearly shows that whoever suggested it never actually tested it in-game.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A Sword Saint with 1 level monk dip already has impenetrable defences if you play semi-competently.
Now have a good, long look at all the Sword Saint abilities. Do you really thing that anything you could gain from further multiclassing holds a candle to these abilities and their progression?

Well, cha to saves is nice. Also I guess 2 handed fighter's power attack bonus is a bit nice. But yeah - the extra buff duration is already a lot to give up.

The fact that the build includes 3 levels of two-handed fighter clearly shows that whoever suggested it never actually tested it in-game.

Finally found the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...t_is_the_tankiest_2_handed_build_in_the_game/

Seems like there's some shenanigans with 2 handed wielding which lets you get both 2 handed weapon damage, crane wing and ss int to ac bonus.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Now have a good, long look at all the Sword Saint abilities. Do you really thing that anything you could gain from further multiclassing holds a candle to these abilities and their progression?

Well, cha to saves is nice. Also I guess 2 handed fighter's power attack bonus is a bit nice. But yeah - the extra buff duration is already a lot to give up.
You need 15 fighter levels to get the power attack bonus. With 3 levels you get weapons and armors proficiencies, two bonus feats, +1 to maneuvers, and a joke feature that does nothing unless you charge.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You need 15 fighter levels to get the power attack bonus. With 3 levels you get weapons and armors proficiencies, two bonus feats, +1 to maneuvers, and a joke feature that does nothing.

Oh damn, I thought it'd add it on the first attack. Sounds like the build is terrible after all.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Finally found the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...t_is_the_tankiest_2_handed_build_in_the_game/

Seems like there's some shenanigans with 2 handed wielding which lets you get both 2 handed weapon damage, crane wing and ss int to ac bonus.
some guy on reddit said:
4 fighter for weapon spec and overhand chop.
FOUR levels for +2 to damage and half your strength bonus on charges is a joke.

Oh damn, I thought it'd add it on the first attack. Sounds like the build is terrible after all.
It only works with the single attack action or the charge action. It doesn't work with the full attack and it doesn't work with vital strike.

Yosharian

Arcane
Sorc and DD are a waste. 2HF isn't that good compared to continuing in SS, mostly - the reason you get some Fighter levels is to get better CMB and some bonus feats, but 2HF doesn't get to improve their CMB.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Well, cha to saves is nice.

I suppose.
Then again, when testing, I've found that the save that really counts vs enemy spells is Will. And by boosting Wis rather then Cha and going for Traditional Monk rather then Scaled Fist, you end up with roughly same Will as a Pala multiclass, still huge Fortitude ( I guess with buffs you could reach nearly 40) and only inferior Reflex - which never hurt me. And 2 levels is a hefty sacrifice.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Sorc and DD are a waste. 2HF isn't that good compared to continuing in SS, mostly - the reason you get some Fighter levels is to get better CMB and some bonus feats, but 2HF doesn't get to improve their CMB.

Yep, that's actually... nerfing your BAB.

Also wasting the unique SS "qualify for feats with SS levels rather then their BAB requirement" special.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Try using Hurricane Bow with Devourer of Metal. Enlarge him too.
Aspect of the Falcon and eventually Sense Vitals should help as well.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape

My pc calling dibs on devour atm.

I didn't know hurricane worked like that with Devourer. Interesting.

Which level 20 bonus is actually worth it? The classes seems to be frontloaded. You get a lot good stuff at level 1 and the fort save or die level 20 bonuses are meh

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
It only works with the single attack action or the charge action. It doesn't work with the full attack and it doesn't work with vital strike.

Tbf that ends up most of what you’re doing as a THF. The question is whether it works on AoOs/Cleave.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

My pc calling dibs on devour atm.

Which level 20 bonus is actually worth it? The classes seems to be frontloaded. You get a lot good stuff at level 1 and the fort save or die level 20 bonuses are meh

Level 19 Ranger ability is smooth as silk. As clunky as Swift actions are Free Actions are butter.

Desiderius

Patron
Never been a fan of THF, but they did give it the extra Weapon Training Feats in one of those patches.

Desiderius

Patron

Rangers laying the wood.jpg

Amiri is Ranger here too BTW.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Is it worth to dip 2 into eldritch archer for Ekun to get the extra attack at -2?

Not sold on pure ranger. A little behind damage wise when compared to my deliverer archer pc.

What is the Deliverer appeal? Throw a situational d6 or two around and people lose their minds. Think about what you lose compared to base class for God's sake. The EA is closer since Ranger is already a slow pet class so you're gimping Okbo, but that's not fatal.

What really hurts is losing your uptick from all your scaling abilities and spells and eventually Improved Quarry. If he is using Devourer and Deadly Aim that -2 isn't trivial either since you're relying on landing iteratives since ranged toons can change targets mid-full attack.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I've found that the save that really counts vs enemy spells is Will. And by boosting Wis rather then Cha and going for Traditional Monk rather then Scaled Fist, you end up with roughly same Will as a Pala multiclass, still huge Fortitude ( I guess with buffs you could reach nearly 40) and only inferior Reflex - which never hurt me. And 2 levels is a hefty sacrifice.

Getting your Saves high is a nice convenience but at the end of the day you can still critically miss. Best defense is a good offense. Also the game has many, many sources of Immunity/prevention.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
FOUR levels for +2 to damage and half your strength bonus on charges is a joke.

Basic Rule: never splash for mere stats or damage, game has sources of those coming out it's ears.

Exception: DC

Desiderius

Patron
I prefer actually hitting enemies. And making enemies much easier to hit for the rest of the party. Plus I don't see that much value in rapid early CMs without optimized CMB. On higher difficulties, they will stick somewhat reliably only on casters, particularly early on.

Free demoralizing feats from Fire are nice. But I've largely moved away from Dazzling. And Celerity is simply fantastic. 3-10 extra casts of Haste per rest, without wasting any spellslots? Yes, please. Sure it may only last 5 rounds at level 6... but you're free to almost spam it as needed. And its impact at low level... Well, for most characters it doubles the amount of attacks at low levels. Without sacrificing any AB. Nuff said.
I've rarely used Haste at low levels due to spellslot conservation. But Celerity? All the time. Can spend all Burn and my Bard/mage will still have some reserve spell slots in case of a boss fight or something.

Well if my toons aren’t hitting they hit the bench until they do. I may have chosen Harrim over her that playthrough IIRC so you could have a point. I’d imagine the DR would be pretty solid and she’d be comparable to regular TSS on early lvls otherwise.

The thing about the CMs is they don’t have to proc all the time since they’re tacked on to every attack for free. Like Okbo’s Trip but easier to boost. Would be good to have access to Magnetic when you really need it no doubt. That’s why I’m saying base Kin is probably better for her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom