Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

vazha

Arcane
Dragonkind is pure cheatery godmode though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
fact:
archer fighter is the best build
Not really. A fighter/vivisectionist or fighter/rogue on the other hand... Come on, with sneak attack being applied to ranged combat there is no point NOT getting at least a few d6s of sneak damage. Fighter8 or 12/Vivi or Rogue X will give you most of what you'd get goind a pure fighter but end dealing more damage AND having some added versatility.
If you can reliably trigger sneak attack at range, then yes, you want your ranged damage dealer to have sneak attack. The real problem with sneak attackers is that they don't have a way to reliably trigger sneak attack at range other than Improved Invisibility. Owlcat dropped the ball when they made it so that as long as 2 people are next to the target, it is considered flanked for everyone.
Yes they did indeed. And yes, apparently in pnp it works differently. But that's what we are talking about here, the computer game called Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Even with me warning you all every few pages, still people talk with Cael even when it is clear he is not playing this game and he is only shitposting on P:KM topics.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I have another question regarding the implementation of rules from pnp. Does Overhand Chop (level 3 Two Handed Fighter) applies to things like AoOs or cleaves? Pope Amole II in his YT Amiri build assumed that it did. But it's not supposed to work that way in pnp to my knowledge. But then many things in the game don't work as they do in pnp so maybe he's correct and Overhand Chop does indeed apply in the computer game to all kind of triggered attacks including cleaves and AoOs. Anyone has some insight? About the computer game implementation if that's not clear to "some" people.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have another question regarding the implementation of rules from pnp. Does Overhand Chop (level 3 Two Handed Fighter) applies to things like AoOs or cleaves? Pope Amole II in his YT Amiri build assumed that it did. But it's not supposed to work that way in pnp to my knowledge. But then many things in the game don't work as they do in pnp so maybe he's correct and Overhand Chop does indeed apply in the computer game to all kind of triggered attacks including cleaves and AoOs. Anyone has some insight? About the computer game implementation if that's not clear to "some" people.
I would say it works with Cleave but not AoO.
At 3rd level, when a two-handed fighter makes a single attack (with the attack action or a charge) with a two-handed weapon, he adds double his Strength bonus on damage rolls.
It all depends on what is considered an attack action in pathfinder PnP. I think standard actions like Cleave are attack actions, but I don't know if AoO count as one as well.

EDIT: After going through the rules on web pages, I would say attack actions would be any attack that is a standard action. It does not count Full round actions or free actions (which AoO are).

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Which weapons are best choice for DEX Two Weapon fighting?

Thinking probably double Kukri if Knifemaster, Rapier/shortsword if Rogue. Are weapon types represented somewhat equally?

Also, would a fighter/ranger dip be worthwhile? In 3.5 I rarely did it because there were other base classes/prestiges, but here nothing else sticks out.

Parabalus

Arcane
kukri knifemaster is death incarnate
And Nok Nok is already that, no need to have a main character be that as well.

I would suggest making a ranged rogue sneak attacker instead.

Well, with knifemaster as MC I can also get nearly all skills covered.

Have a build suggestion? In 3.5 ranged sneak attackers (rogues) were utter garbage, assumed that was the case here as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Have a build suggestion? In 3.5 ranged sneak attackers (rogues) were utter garbage, assumed that was the case here as well.
No, they made ranged sneak attack godly here. All you need is someone in melee engaging enemies and you can sneak attack those same targets with ranged attacks :D
And later you just cast Improved Invisibility on the ranged sneak attacker and he needs nobody to spread murder around the map :D

Serus

Arcane
Patron

It's not. Sneak attack from flanking works with ranged attacks here. And flanking itself is easier to get, no need for the 2 characters to be on opposite sides. Fighter/rogue with optionally a single level of Vivisectionist using a composite longbow should kick ass.

Ziggy

Scholar
how do you make an inquisitor good without monster tactician and whats the deal with the ranged paladin subclass

ArchAngel

Arcane
how do you make an inquisitor good without monster tactician and whats the deal with the ranged paladin subclass
Inquisitors are very good. Just use teamwork feats and Judgement well. Move around the map with Shield of Faith on and use Divine Favor at start of combat. If you got someone to tank for them, use a two handed weapon and offensive teamwork feats (like Outflank and bonus damage one). Also Dazzling Display works well because they get a Intimidate bonus with levels.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Inquisitors are very good. Just use teamwork feats and Judgement well. Move around the map with Shield of Faith on and use Divine Favor at start of combat.
Or the Sacred Smilodon archetype. No judgements but you have someone guaranteed to have your teamwork feats. And its damage output will probably surpass most of recruitable NPCs. Plus the inquisitor of curse.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Inquisitors are very good. Just use teamwork feats and Judgement well. Move around the map with Shield of Faith on and use Divine Favor at start of combat.
Or the Sacred Smilodon archetype. No judgements but you have someone guaranteed to have your teamwork feats. And its damage output will probably surpass most of recruitable NPCs. Plus the inquisitor of curse.
The problem with that build is that pets are overtuned in this game. Your character is now the pet and you are its support.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The problem with that build is that pets are overtuned in this game. Your character is now the pet and you are its support.
Exactly my point. :smug:

Parabalus

Arcane

It's not. Sneak attack from flanking works with ranged attacks here. And flanking itself is easier to get, no need for the 2 characters to be on opposite sides. Fighter/rogue with optionally a single level of Vivisectionist using a composite longbow should kick ass.

That's sounds great tbh. Slightly worried I'll run into a DR brick wall in the endgame / extremely costly arrows, is that a concern?

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's sounds great tbh. Slightly worried I'll run into a DR brick wall in the endgame / extremely costly arrows, is that a concern?
Game didn't implement arrows :D

Parabalus

Arcane

How much fighter would you recommend? in 3.5 it was mostly 4 levels, but here rogues also get many more bonus feats. Just one for martial proficiency?

Mostly thinking that if I take elf instead of human, I could skip fighter entirely, just go rogue 19/vivi 1.

ArchAngel

Arcane

How much fighter would you recommend? in 3.5 it was mostly 4 levels, but here rogues also get many more bonus feats. Just one for martial proficiency?

Mostly thinking that if I take elf instead of human, I could skip fighter entirely, just go rogue 19/vivi 1.
You can take two levels of non rogue because there is a feat that gives you +1d6 sneak attack boost.

Also make a lvl 16 character unless you plan to play solo. People are finishing the game with lvl 16 parties.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If I didn't care about the ranger's pet, I'd probably go 9 Eldiritch Archer / 1 Vivi or Rogue / 10 Arcane Trickster.

DR isn't a huge issue for an archer due to Clustered Shots, which test damage from all attacks in a round against 1 x DR, btw.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Eldritch Archer Magus 2 (for ranged spell combat and ranged spell strike)
Vivissectionist for the rest
- every ranged full attack (which can already produce your sneak dice) comes with the additional spell strike weapon attack (sneak dice) and the attached touch spell, say acid splash (also sneak dice)
-ultra stronk mutagen that stacks with everything else
- alchemist spellcasting that can also fuel arcane strike for even more dmg
- 3/4 bab

Just an idea, I have not tested this.

hell bovine

Arcane
Parabalus
Or just go pure vivisectionist. The ability to buff your party with the alchemist "spells" (which you can do as soon as you pick the infusion feat) outweights the benefits of a fighter/rogue, imo. Unless you plan to play solo, that is. (And tbh, I can't think of any downsides to the alchemist class.)

Parabalus

Arcane
Parabalus
Or just go pure vivisectionist. The ability to buff your party with the alchemist "spells" (which you can do as soon as you pick the infusion feat) outweights the benefits of a fighter/rogue, imo. Unless you plan to play solo, that is. (And tbh, I can't think of any downsides to the alchemist class.)

Vivisectionists have less skill points than rogues though. My main concern is getting all that I can here, I also lose Trapfinding for the perception bonus.

hell bovine

Arcane
Parabalus

Vivisectionists have less skill points than rogues though. My main concern is getting all that I can here, I also lose Trapfinding for the perception bonus.
Then go Indiana Jones, all skills plus high charisma plus the luck buff. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom