Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
is this a ploy to get infinitron to split thread again?
your ironman argument is shit because on pnp you can continue when baron/king dies.
dm can intervene on players behalf (get them abducted or improsioned rather than killed) or give them a brand new character (one of upcoming advisors or companion maybe).

also playing ironman on a game known to have a lot of bugs is a level of autism not even codex has seen before. maybe you want to tell us about how your ironman playthrough is going?
My ironman run is not going anywhere but my harder than P&P one is going well. You also missed the point.

That retard was saying it is stupid to play on harder than P&P stats ignoring that those stats exist for P&P( Ironman) runs so players don't die all the time.
Computer games where you load a game every time something goes wrong are way too easy to play on P&P difficulty setting.
In PnP you can make another character yet but you don't continue. Your next character does and that one needs to now fit into whatever situation you were in (and earn a position of power again). Not even near to loading a save and continuing where you died like nothing happened. Not to mention people savescum skill checks, results of decisions and other stuff.

As for DM intervening, that has nothing do with basic design of difficulty. D&D P&P is certainly not designed around DM saving players, it is designed around rules as written. All the DM rule changing and helping players is something that game designers cannot predict so they cannot design the game around that. Module designers can count a bit on that but cannot be sure (even if modules have parts where they ask DMs to "help").

The fact stands that monster and encounters are designed around players not dying as long as challenge rating is around party level. In a cRPG P&P stats just mean a weaker and easier game, nothing else.

Retards like Sykar are just like all the other Steam users that want their "true" PnP experience in a completely different medium without understanding anything about it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And just so you don't think I hate P&P, I have been a DM and a player of various D&D and other game systems for over 20 years. I played and ran the games with many different players. From very little combat to hardcore combat. From players and DM helping each other to parties where everyone was enemy of everyone else. With D&D most of the times both DM and players expected to be left to the luck of the dice, other game system had more often players and GMs that prefered a more roleplaying approach.

But none of that changes how the base game is designed and balanced. It is balanced for an invisible DM that does not do anything but run things by the rules. And such a DM also runs this cRPG. Except in this version players can overrule any happenings with a push of a button called Load a save.

I hope now that I explained it like you are 9 year olds you finally understand basic logic.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Burning Arc vs Acid Arrow vs Molten Orb. Anyone using any of those or just Scorching Ray?
Isn't scorching ray you need to aim to hit it? And burning arc is always hit? In pathfinder where some enemies have 40 AC, always hit beats scorching ray.

hell bovine

Arcane
this is like posting image of a game box to showcase it.
qmN6rr7.jpg

This better? You can see what game mode it is at the bottom right where I hit F5.
Is that a druid? Which archetype (if any)?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Burning Arc vs Acid Arrow vs Molten Orb. Anyone using any of those or just Scorching Ray?
Isn't scorching ray you need to aim to hit it? And burning arc is always hit? In pathfinder where some enemies have 40 AC, always hit beats scorching ray.
You can sneak attack with Scorching Ray. You can critical hit with Scorching Ray. Burning Arc is reflex save for half damage and Evasion lets you Reflex save for 0 damage.
In addition Scorching Ray is a touch attack, 90% of enemies have terrible Touch AC and you almost always hit them. I actually missed more Scorching Rays because of concealment than enemy AC (but luckily at lvl 5 you get a spell Echolocation that lasts 10 min per level and removes all concealment from enemies for character under that spell).

Efe

Erudite
your point was pnp = ironman.
living with consequences of your choices, both in combat and story, is not same as a game over screen which is what ironman is. you can do that while taking frequent saves.

as a reminder, his words:
As to stat bloat, I play core P&P rules essentially. I do not understand why anyone would want to play anything but core rules but to each their own
then you say
I hope you also play ironman rules because you know P&P is Ironman only. And P&P stats are designed for Ironman play.

he wasnt even against a difficult game, but rather wanted it in smarter ai, enemies optimized according to pnp rules and such rather than stat bloated wolves and shit.

Sharpedge i hope you dont get a game breaking bug

Sharpedge

Prophet
this is like posting image of a game box to showcase it.
qmN6rr7.jpg

This better? You can see what game mode it is at the bottom right where I hit F5.
Is that a druid? Which archetype (if any)?
It is a Defender of the True World druid. I am playing it because it is the only archetype of spellcaster I have not played with yet.

living with consequences of your choices, both in combat and story, is not same as a game over screen which is what ironman is. you can do that while taking frequent saves.

As to stat bloat, I play core P&P rules essentially. I do not understand why anyone would want to play anything but core rules but to each their own
then you say
I hope you also play ironman rules because you know P&P is Ironman only. And P&P stats are designed for Ironman play.

he wasnt even against a difficult game, but rather wanted it in smarter ai, enemies optimized according to pnp rules and such rather than stat bloated wolves and shit.

Thanks, I hope I do not either. Although in terms of "game breaking bugs" I have found the game to be quite stable during my last 2 playthroughs, so I think I will be ok.

Sykar

Arcane

Not quite. Technically Burning Arc is always a hit but it does allow a reflex save. Some enemies have really high reflex saves which make it unlikely to do more than 10d6 damage but 5d6 for the primary target instead. Then there are several classes with Evasion which avoid all damage on a save and then there is Improved Evasion on some classes where they always reduce the damage by 50%.
Scorching Ray is not a normal attack. It is a ranged touch attack which means it ignores most armor bonus. Hitting touch AC is usually very easy even for low BAB classes like the wizard and sorcerer especially if you have a little dexterity.

ArchAngel

Arcane

then you say

What is so confusing? He likes an easy game. I told him if he still likes easy game he should at least play Ironman like P&P. Are you people going to go full retard and claim P&P is not ironman? Ironman just means you cannot load a save and must always live with what happens no matter how much you don't like it.

Stat bloat is part of how difficulty is managed in PnP, it is normal way to make D&D/Pathfinder harder. Yea making things harder by giving enemies better AI is one way to do it, but DnD since forever was also balanced by adding new enemies, giving new abilities to existing enemies, buffing their stats or any combination of the above. And this is how this game is balanced and it is valid.

He obviously has no idea what he is talking about (or maybe he was never a DM/GM). Just stop arguing people if you don't really know how PnP works...

Sharpedge

Prophet
With the exception of act 1 and act 7, raising the difficulty isn't really noticeable at all. For most of the game, if you are the type of player who buffs by default at the start of each zone and then rests at the end of each map, you should have plenty of tools to deal with each fight. I would say that is the *1* thing pillars of eternity does better with regards to difficulty, by adding different types of enemies as the difficulty increases so you actually need to adjust your tactics a bit. It is too bad the baseline difficulty of the game is so unbelievably low and the encounter design so poor that the adding of new monsters to spice it up doesn't really save it. In pathfinder though, if they adopted the, "new monsters, new ai abilities" tactic for difficulty I feel it could really work.

Wolfe

Arbiter
How would one go about building a STR based Eldritch Knight that uses two handed weapons?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
How would one go about building a STR based Eldritch Knight that uses two handed weapons?
Like all EK builds a late bloomer I guess, but I would do Sorcerer 6(draconic bloodline)->4lvl of Dragon Disciple (+4STR, 2+AC medium BAB, 3/4 caster level)->EK10,
however you could also take CHA magus instead of EK which would have the advantage of progressing the draconic BL but you won't get high level spells (of course you won't need sorc levels then)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Like all EK builds a late bloomer I guess, but I would do Sorcerer 6(draconic bloodline)->4lvl of Dragon Disciple (+4STR, 2+AC medium BAB, 3/4 caster level)->EK10,
however you could also take CHA magus instead of EK which would have the advantage of progressing the draconic BL but you won't get high level spells (of course you won't need sorc levels then)
Cha magus would give him more BAB and ability to cast spells in light armor.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also ability to improve AB further via Arcane Pool enchancements. Early access to +5 and later even stuff like Bane and Briliant Energy (ignore enemy armor & shields).

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
if i go 1 thug / x archeologist, can archeologist pick crippling strike once get access to advanced talents?
If not, can I pick it if I add more thug lvls after archeologist unlocks advanced talents or it doesnt work this way?

Additionally, whats brutal beating DC? Or there isnt one? After all I'm doing max cha orcress, intimidating archeologist. Im trying to pick best number of thug lvls. I still consider this char to be enchantment caster so each lvl is big trade of. 1 thug is no brainer as it enables the build with insanely strong dazzling performance spawning attacks of opportunity.
Before anyone pitches in, I know that technically inquisitor can have higher intimidate but I dislike divine classes.
I'm not sure brutal beating even works, I think it's bugged. Dazzling Display is kind of underwhelming without Shatter Defenses, and is a fear with a shitty DC really worth sacrificing caster progression for? Lingering performance doesn't work with Archeologist's Luck, so that makes the class kinda shit imo.
You're better off going vivi 1/sorc/arcane trickster and taking accomplished sneak attacker. You get dex buff from vivi for touch attacks.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I meant that for the sorcerer character. Dazzling display => shatter defenses is good on melee chars, I use it myself on my thug 4/scaled fist 1/aldori defender 8/duelist 7.

For archeologist classes you could consider are 4 dragon disciple for STR, 1 thug if STR 4 if DEX, 3 or 7 two handed fighter, 2 paladin.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Go for Magus instead. Eventually you get casting Heavy Armor, for free. If you go Scion, you can take a Bloodline and use Charisma as your casting stat. Angelkin Aasimar get Str/Cha bonus, and you get access to the Wings feat.

I recommend the Arcane Bloodline.

Wolfe

Arbiter
I thought Magus is supposed to use one handers, something about touch attacks. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the system as this is my first time. Anyway, there's a Magus companion so I wanted to try something else.

I started as a human Fighter, 16/14/16/14/10/10, thinking of taking 5 levels of Wizard and then 10 of EK. What I'm aiming for is being able to buff myself in combat in order to increase "tankiness"/survivability and damage output, so Abjuration seems like the best fitting school for that. It's a shame that it seems I need to pick two feats in order to reduce spell failure chance when casting in armor, since Magus gets that for free.

Cael

Arcane
I thought Magus is supposed to use one handers, something about touch attacks. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the system as this is my first time. Anyway, there's a Magus companion so I wanted to try something else.

I started as a human Fighter, 16/14/16/14/10/10, thinking of taking 5 levels of Wizard and then 10 of EK. What I'm aiming for is being able to buff myself in combat in order to increase "tankiness"/survivability and damage output, so Abjuration seems like the best fitting school for that. It's a shame that it seems I need to pick two feats in order to reduce spell failure chance when casting in armor, since Magus gets that for free.
Mage Armour or Greater Mage Armour should obliviate that need on top of allowing you full Dex bonus, which is likely to push you past the AC that you will get from full plate.

ArchAngel

Arcane

No need to take levels of fighter, you just take martial weapons feat.
Another option is bard 7/EK 10.
Use Falchion as it has best base crit and when you reach lvl 10 EK you have 25% chance per attack to crit your enemies and get a free quicken spell use.
Bard does not have lots of spells or many offensive spells but it can still be useful (you can heal yourself with each free quicken).
Bard also gives you ability to cast in light armor, lots of skill points and bard song lvl 2 which is a free bonus. And it has better bab and life than a wizard.
And you can take Dragon Disciple levels if you manage to reach lvl 18 or more.
Take STR/Cha aasimar and pick up wings at lvl 11, free +3 to melee AC is very cool

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom