Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Discussion in 'Owlcat Games' started by Ruchy, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Blind-Fight is still an excellent feat because it gives you immunity to Gaze attacks

^ Top  
  2. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Does it? It didn't help in a fight vs Defaced sisters, their stat draining attack seem like some gaze attack to me.

^ Top  
  3. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Well, ok, let me rephrase: I have been told that it protects against Gaze attacks =p

^ Top  
  4. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Maybe it helps vs Wild Hunt, in any case that feat can be ignored by a EK character until lvl 15. Echolocation is a lvl 5 spell that makes most illusion defensive abilities pointless. And it lasts 10 min per level. Completely OP spell. Similar in usefulness to Communal Delay Poison.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Again, going Magus/ES doesn't really prohibit you from using two-handers - or better yet, using your chosen one-hander in a two-handed stance. If you have a good Strenght score and maybe later even Power Attack, its actually a decent option. You give up the ability to cast & attack in the same round, as well as the extra spellstrike attack - if you're using tough spells, for much higher damage per hit. Your unique magus weapon enchantments will still work fine two-handed, as will the Arcane Strike feat for extra damage.

Even better when you get the Transformation spell.

As for the EK, I don't think things will drastically change when you start taking EK levels. They will improve after EK level 10, when you get to quicken a spell after a melee crit I guess. Before that its a very gradual progress with slowly improving BAB (after tanking it with Wizard) and getting access to better spells, of course.

I'd advise to forget about heavy armor without Magus/Scion.

And yes, ES gets Sorceror-like spontaneous spellcasting, where you can pick spells on-the-fly. Since access to spell scrolls in very limited in P:K and the spell selection is also limited in general, its a very good deal.
    But standard Magus is even better for purpose of spell spamming and choosing what is needed on-the-fly: Has (Improved) Spell Recall, which lets him cast all spells he has prepared multiple times per day, Recalling them by spending Arcane Pool points as needed. This could be like extra 15 level 1 or 2 casts per day. A bit less for higher spell levels, but still an impressive number.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    A hybrid approach is possible. Overpowered items, as well as late-game abundance of touch-AC targeting attacks make it viable. If you're a lawful good monk you can use +5 dodge robes. With +8 AC bracers, that's already 13 AC - as much as a +4 fullplate, but with no Dex limit. Items can provide +8 to pretty much all stats, so that's another +4 Dex AC modifier and, in case of monk, also +4 Wis/Cha AC modifier. So that's way above max-enchanted fullplate, even with minimal stat investment. And it actually helps against Touch attacks!

I currently run a Strenght-based Vivisectionist who wears robes and trips enemies with his Fauchard and bites.
    Of course mutagen helps, but even without the extra 4-6 Dex and 4-6 Natural Armor (that I don't have yet), it should be somewhat viable. Particularly supported by the Mirror Image uber-buff.

^ Top  
  7. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Going two handed Dex route is also possible with that Elven Blade for two hands. I don't know if you can find an agile version later in the game so you also get a bonus to damage.

^ Top  
  8. user Learned

user
    Next playthrough will be an evil undead bl sorcerer with every necro spell, using that cloak for necromancy. With all the DC feats I can get. It's a shame you can't go full lich or install the oculus to your eye though.

^ Top  
  9. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Well, you COULD get 3 rogue levels for Finesse Training. But that's even more caster levels lost.

There certainly are Agile Dueling Swords though - and you can two-hand them. Or Scimitars (maybe fewer Agile versions).

^ Top  
  10. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Maybe a Dex based Eldritch Scoundrel is a better choice for this :D
    You get Magus type spellcasting but wizard list of spells and access to many rogue abilities.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    ^ Top  
  11. Wolfe Arbiter

Wolfe
    Ok, but is it worth giving up delivering a Shocking/Frigid/Vampiric Touch (for example) attack alongside a regular weapon attack in the same round? That's what I found to be super fun about Regongar, he would sometimes crit for 80+ at lvl 5, since the crit applies to the spell too.

EK doesn't sound that appealing then, as far as I know the game ends around level 16/17 with a party of 6 so I'm not waiting around for its potential to be unleashed that late. Having access to spells above level 6 is pretty good though.

^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Well you wanted a Two Handed hybrid. Since no such class exists directly only other realistic options is Magus. Yes Magus is very good at what ti does, it is just not meant to be played with a Two Handed weapon.

^ Top  
  13. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Well you don't actually use damaging touch spells all the time (I mean touch spells other then Touch of Fatigue).
    That's why I advised using a medium sized one handed weapon with two hands - and going one handed with Spell Combat when you want to cast (including Spell striking with a touch attack spell). Your weapon will be slightly smaller but you will be able to do both.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Wolfe Arbiter

Wolfe
    I've decided, that's what I will do, it seems to be the best of both worlds despite requiring a bit of micro.

^ Top  
  15. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Yosharian Magister

Yosharian
    Yes, I agree. I pick that feat up around that level.

^ Top  
  17. Sharpedge Learned

Sharpedge
    I don't think so. I was actually thinking of making one in excel for my personal use just because of the lack of one and my OCD when building characters.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    No cool weapon enchantments like Brilliant Energy, Bane or Keen at level 5. No cool abilities like Dimension Strike/Spell Recall (Improved). No Spell Combat. No Spellstrike. Not the same at all.

^ Top  
  19. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Ok but sneak attack and Opportunist Attack and Debilitating attack end up being more useful :)
    Also access to better spells like Lead Blades :)

And Dex to damage as well.

^ Top  
  20. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    ...or you can get most of these buffs from another party member, do a knife master/vivisectionist and enjoy much higher damage.

Magus is fairly unique in what it does. Half-rogue with some buffs less so.

But you did convince me it could be a fairly effective character.
    Personally I'd rather pick Vivisectionist for such purposes though. Gets full sneak progression and mutagen to boot. Can become crit/sneak resistant. Can make 3 full AB attacks at level 2. Also no Arcane Spell Failure.
    Admittedly looses on offensive spells (and mirror image) but... there are other characters in the party. And if you're combat focused, you're not likely to be an effective DC-caster anyway.

^ Top  
  21. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    Are we still talking about a Dex based two handed hybrid? :D
    Knife master kind of does not work with using a two handed Dex weapon :P

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Haplo Cipher Patron

Haplo
    Ok, I got a bit confused which version I'm answering to :P

Anyway, a Rogue/Vivi does work :P

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Arcane Sad Loser

ArchAngel
    I am trying to avoid using Vivi because it seems that subclass is answer to all questions :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Wolfe Arbiter

Wolfe
    When would it be the best time to take the levels of Dragon Disciple in a 1 Scaled Fist/X Eldritch Scion/4 Dragon Disciple build?

^ Top  
  25. Chaotic_Heretic Arcane

Chaotic_Heretic
    okay tried a pure vivisectionist upto lv12. dex all teh way. very fun especially due to feat flexibility of combat tricks. sneaky sneaky stabby stabby can also be easy and fun

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.