Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah that amulet is insanely powerful on an early game archer.

They can't actually update the game anymore because of licensing problems.

Yosharian

Arcane
BG3 has similar problems. There's an amulet that resurrects you once per long rest when you die, but you get put under a buff that makes you go berserk. Except you don't get the buff. So it's just a free rez. Lol

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
In this game you really need to check the web frequently.

I remember not using the "amulet of double crosses" before because the tooltip mentioned a seemingly annoying effect where you would be forced to attack your allies when they moved away from you. Turns out this isn't implemented in the game. Also the amulet tooltip says the extra 2d6 sneak damage only applies to melee damage. But it applies to ranged damage as well.

ITT, one of the best items for rogues and slayers as is.

I wonder how much else is bugged in this game. Should you ignore tooltips and descriptors entirely, using the wiki as reference? When exactly they stopped updating the game btw?
The artifacts take enough work to put together that they should be powerful. I like the downside theme but that one was too strong when it worked that way. It was a good change.

By the time you get it it’s a good reward but not gamebreaking.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Thinking barbarian-slayer for my MC for campaign, two weapon fighting, shield bash line. 10 levels in each, going one for one. Any thoughts or criticisms?

Doesn't sound bad. I think you'd want Beast totems, Animal Fury and a stance from barb, and TWF/Shield bash/ITWF on slayer? The progression feels kind of slow as you need 6 levels of slayer to actually be dual wielding well, which would mean level 12 if you alternated while leveling. I think it'd be better doing slayer levels first then barb.

I think you'd want Invulnerable Rager/Deliverer as your archetypes, and being NG (kind of want to maintain this alignment strictly since barb can't be lawful and you want damage bonuses against things not neutral/CG). You might also consider 12 slayer/8 barb for opportunist, dropping pounce from greater beast totem.

Barbarian

Arcane
Why not pure slayer? You already get an immense bonus to hit and damage as a pure class. Not sure if taking levels of barbarian gives benefit over the lost slayer levels.

Barbarian

Arcane
Wait does Slayer have same amount of feats as Fighter?
If you use talents for "combat tricks" then yes. He doesn't get the fighter features such as advanced weapon and armor training, the counterpart being study target and sneak attack.

Barbarian

Arcane
Prone enemies are getting a +4 bonus to armor class against ranged attacks. Is this a bug or a feature? I can understand the argument that someone laying on the ground is harder to hit, but only circunstancially.

I drop some fool with grease why is it more difficult to walk up close and crossbow him to the face? Walking up to the greased enemy with a melee weapon means having to pass a reflex check or becoming prone yourself.

Barbarian

Arcane
Also, unfair is excruciating first couple of levels but then becomes acceptable. First few levels your power creep is significant and the unfair difficulty "features" are flat attribute, ac and to hit bonuses to all enemies. I suspect these flat bonuses become less and less significant as the game progresses.

Barbarian

Arcane
Prone enemies are getting a +4 bonus to armor class against ranged attacks. Is this a bug or a feature? I can understand the argument that someone laying on the ground is harder to hit, but only circunstancially.

I drop some fool with grease why is it more difficult to walk up close and crossbow him to the face? Walking up to the greased enemy with a melee weapon means having to pass a reflex check or becoming prone yourself.

Also it doesn't activate sneak attack which is very silly.

Yosharian

Arcane
Wait does Slayer have same amount of feats as Fighter?
If you use talents for "combat tricks" then yes. He doesn't get the fighter features such as advanced weapon and armor training, the counterpart being study target and sneak attack.
Ah ye. Been a while since I built in PF. I guess Slayer is pretty good for Shield Bash then, especially since you can skip some feats using the Ranger stuff

Yosharian

Arcane

It's a feature in Pathfinder for ranged attacks

Yosharian

Arcane
Also, unfair is excruciating first couple of levels but then becomes acceptable. First few levels your power creep is significant and the unfair difficulty "features" are flat attribute, ac and to hit bonuses to all enemies. I suspect these flat bonuses become less and less significant as the game progresses.
This is why you should use the mod that fixes the game's inverted difficulty curve

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/193

It's no secret that on hard and unfair the early game is an absolute RNG dependant slog that gets far more managable from act 2 and onwards. The reason for this is because the modifiers applied to enemies at higher difficulties are static. On unfair the +4 to AC and attack bonus as well as the +8 to every stat are extremely impactful at level 1 and far less impactful at level 20 when the abundance of buffs and potential for min maxing overshadow them.

To correct this I have made it so that the modifiers scale with the level of your main character. At level 1 the bonuses will be very small, at levels 8-12 the bonuses will be around the same as vanilla and at level 20 they will be 50% larger in order to try and correct the games strong inverted difficulty curve. For the mod image you can see how AC scales with level in my mod (red) as opposed to the constant buff applied in vanilla (blue). The tutorial is no longer the hardest part of the game!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's a feature in Pathfinder for ranged attacks
Same rule as in DnD 3+ ed.

Barbarian

Arcane
This is why you should use the mod that fixes the game's inverted difficulty curve

It's no secret that on hard and unfair the early game is an absolute RNG dependant slog that gets far more managable from act 2 and onwards. The reason for this is because the modifiers applied to enemies at higher difficulties are static. On unfair the +4 to AC and attack bonus as well as the +8 to every stat are extremely impactful at level 1 and far less impactful at level 20 when the abundance of buffs and potential for min maxing overshadow them.

To correct this I have made it so that the modifiers scale with the level of your main character. At level 1 the bonuses will be very small, at levels 8-12 the bonuses will be around the same as vanilla and at level 20 they will be 50% larger in order to try and correct the games strong inverted difficulty curve. For the mod image you can see how AC scales with level in my mod (red) as opposed to the constant buff applied in vanilla (blue). The tutorial is no longer the hardest part of the game!

I'm playing on console so no mods.

Why not pure slayer? You already get an immense bonus to hit and damage as a pure class. Not sure if taking levels of barbarian gives benefit over the lost slayer levels.
More attacks from pounce and the bite mostly. You keep high BAB, rage base effects fairly closely mirror slayer progression. Rage is limited per day but you also don't have to hit first to get your AB bonus which can be hard against tough enemies

Extra slayer feats past the first few tend to be superfluous. e.g taking the third level of TWF to get an attack at -15 is kind of a joke and any of the first few rage powers are clearly better

Yosharian

Arcane

I'm playing on console so no mods.
Oh right

Desiderius

Patron
Thinking barbarian-slayer for my MC for campaign, two weapon fighting, shield bash line. 10 levels in each, going one for one. Any thoughts or criticisms?
Pick one or the other. The good stuff is in the back half of the class, and all your abilities scale by class level.

Desiderius

Patron

Because Grease is a first level spell.

You get more.

Desiderius

Patron
Slayer/Ranger Combat Style Feats unlocks Shield Master at lvl 6(!) or alternatively you can use it to get the two-weapon fighting extra attacks without the DEX requirement.

It's a very good plan, just stay Slayer so your Studied Target keeps getting better and you unlock the Advanced Rogue Talents. You even eventually get Improved Quarry (Free Action), but regular Quarry is decent with Swift Study.

I like Vanguard for Tactician, Uncanny Dodge, and eventually Vanguard's Bond gets to +2 for the team. +1 AoE isn't awful.

Beat Wrath with Vanguard Aeon MC.

Straight Barb scales well too with Reckless Stance and Inspire Ferocity.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Slayer/Ranger Combat Style Feats unlocks Shield Master at lvl 6(!) or alternatively you can use it to get the two-weapon fighting extra attacks without the DEX requirement.

It's a very good plan, just stay Slayer so your Studied Target keeps getting better and you unlock the Advanced Rogue Talents. You even eventually get Improved Quarry (Free Action), but regular Quarry is decent with Swift Study.

I like Vanguard for Tactician, Uncanny Dodge, and eventually Vanguard's Bond gets to +2 for the team. +1 AoE isn't awful.

Beat Wrath with Vanguard Aeon MC.

Straight Barb scales well too with Reckless Stance and Inspire Ferocity.

Not clear now - are you saying the twf dual class is a good plan or that it's better to start over as pure slayer?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom