Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt... these guys must be DMs in their time off :D
Most DMs don't wear the DMG around their necks like a collar. Russian ones, on the other hand, seem to pair them with concussions...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Btw, props to whoever suggested the Monk/Eldritch Scion/Dragon Disciple build.
Sounds like a good build. In a similar manner I made Valerie not suck and be worthy of being in an unfair party as well. F1->Chamonk 2->Scion 17 (abyssal for STR), couldn't survive Siroket but otherwise could tank and properly contribute most of the time.

Black dragon was underwhelming, basically my party didn't even lose HP. Ekun stacked anti-fey bonuses the entire game so the moment he uses the instant enemy spell he will start pouring large amounts of damage into any mob even if that mob had 70 AC vs ranged attacks. Apparently farting out acid clouds gives additional AC vs ranged attacks.

A lot of trouble I had with Siroket. She can hit for ~130 dmg on a non-crit. A crit with that axe of hers (x3) might just oneshot you right away. I basically gave up on expecting anybody except my main to survive the encounter and so it was. Mainchar solo'ed the entire 3rd wave but actually made it. Then again he had AC 78, which for instance meant 20ies weren't crits because crits don't get confirmed easily vs that AC. So unlike the others he actually had the time to use scrolls of heal on himself whereas others would just die too quickly to do even that. Having mirror image/improved invis on other characters in my party might have increased their life expectancy but it didn't prevent them from dieing quickly. Then there's the Siroket invulnerability problem. Hardly avoidable. For the benefit of the reader: there's one trick that makes this fight easier and solves the invulnerability problem. Start the fight with sending pets after Siroket (or summon some fodder) so she's busy for a few rounds then immediately kill the 2 erinyes before they kill you. Afterwards damage Siroket until she ports away. Pets/summons will be dead by then. Summon a new batch of fodder where the 2nd mob wave spawns and immediately run away with the entire party into the corridor from which you entered the area completely to the far end. When your summons have been killed the fight will end and you'll be out of combat. Then you can buff up. Getting out of combat also removes Siroket's invulnerability, so this method (distraction->run away->reset fight) can always be used when Siroket becomes invulnerable. Really good method of dealing with wave 2, once the 3rd wave has spawned Siroket won't become immortal again (unless she already is from wave 2). Buffed up or not, everybody died, main char solo'ed the rest of the fight. The end. Then I was afraid that I won't be able to leave the area because I'd now be overloaded, but for whatever reason (dead pets still adding their STR to carry weight?) I was able to leave nonetheless.

House is a terrible slog. I wish my Jaethal was immortal, unfortunately she really isn't. The room with the 4 mandragora swarms seems like the worst problem so far. Web, tar pool, slow etc seems to do nothing noticable. Undead fodder dies in seconds. Not in 20 seconds but more like in 2 seconds.
It was probably deadly earth which did the actual job in the outside area, not tar pool. Deadly earth as magma blast will deal half its damage as fire damage so it would be good vs ghosts too. Although the most painless way is to just go 2x mass heal. That removes at least 80% of their HP. Bring a stack of 50 mass heal scrolls before going to the house. Those swarms otoh have more than 300 HP each, high level evocation spells do very little damage even if maximized, I wonder if they gave them evasion. Not sure what I can do there. The only thing that helps is fiery body but anybody in my party who can cast this won't withstand the damage output of the swarms for more than a few seconds. I'll probably try deadly earth when I get home (does mass icy prison do anything against mandragora swarms?) and if that doesn't help I might just avoid that room.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Btw, props to whoever suggested the Monk/Eldritch Scion/Dragon Disciple build.
Sounds like a good build. In a similar manner I made Valerie not suck and be worthy of being in an unfair party as well. F1->Chamonk 2->Scion 17 (abyssal for STR), couldn't survive Siroket but otherwise could tank and properly contribute most of the time.

Black dragon was underwhelming, basically my party didn't even lose HP. Ekun stacked anti-fey bonuses the entire game so the moment he uses the instant enemy spell he will start pouring large amounts of damage into any mob even if that mob had 70 AC vs ranged attacks. Apparently farting out acid clouds gives additional AC vs ranged attacks.

A lot of trouble I had with Siroket. She can hit for ~130 dmg on a non-crit. A crit with that axe of hers (x3) might just oneshot you right away. I basically gave up on expecting anybody except my main to survive the encounter and so it was. Mainchar solo'ed the entire 3rd wave but actually made it. Then again he had AC 78, which for instance meant 20ies weren't crits because crits don't get confirmed easily vs that AC. So unlike the others he actually had the time to use scrolls of heal on himself whereas others would just die too quickly to do even that. Having mirror image/improved invis on other characters in my party might have increased their life expectancy but it didn't prevent them from dieing quickly. Then there's the Siroket invulnerability problem. Hardly avoidable. For the benefit of the reader: there's one trick that makes this fight easier and solves the invulnerability problem. Start the fight with sending pets after Siroket (or summon some fodder) so she's busy for a few rounds then immediately kill the 2 erinyes before they kill you. Afterwards damage Siroket until she ports away. Pets/summons will be dead by then. Summon a new batch of fodder where the 2nd mob wave spawns and immediately run away with the entire party into the corridor from which you entered the area completely to the far end. When your summons have been killed the fight will end and you'll be out of combat. Then you can buff up. Getting out of combat also removes Siroket's invulnerability, so this method (distraction->run away->reset fight) can always be used when Siroket becomes invulnerable. Really good method of dealing with wave 2, once the 3rd wave has spawned Siroket won't become immortal again (unless she already is from wave 2). Buffed up or not, everybody died, main char solo'ed the rest of the fight. The end. Then I was afraid that I won't be able to leave the area because I'd now be overloaded, but for whatever reason (dead pets still adding their STR to carry weight?) I was able to leave nonetheless.

House is a terrible slog. I wish my Jaethal was immortal, unfortunately she really isn't. The room with the 4 mandragora swarms seems like the worst problem so far. Web, tar pool, slow etc seems to do nothing noticable. Undead fodder dies in seconds. Not in 20 seconds but more like in 2 seconds.
It was probably deadly earth which did the actual job in the outside area, not tar pool. Deadly earth as magma blast will deal half its damage as fire damage so it would be good vs ghosts too. Although the most painless way is to just go 2x mass heal. That removes at least 80% of their HP. Bring a stack of 50 mass heal scrolls before going to the house. Those swarms otoh have more than 300 HP each, high level evocation spells do very little damage even if maximized, I wonder if they gave them evasion. Not sure what I can do there. The only thing that helps is fiery body but anybody in my party who can cast this won't withstand the damage output of the swarms for more than a few seconds. I'll probably try deadly earth when I get home (does mass icy prison do anything against mandragora swarms?) and if that doesn't help I might just avoid that room.
Evasion doesn't work on spells that don't give a Reflex save. That is why traditionally, spells like Acid Rain, Holy Word/Blasphemy, Ice Storm, Wail of the Banshee, etc., are considered to be better than normal Reflex-save attack spells.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Evasion doesn't work on spells that don't give a Reflex save. That is why traditionally, spells like Acid Rain, Holy Word/Blasphemy, Ice Storm, Wail of the Banshee, etc., are considered to be better than normal Reflex-save attack spells.
Well, WoTB might still be a reasonable try against the swarms, if they take damage from it. Good idea, worth an attempt at least, 2x wail+ deadly earth might be enough to remove at least most of their HP.
Holy word etc is fairly useless in this game, any opposition for which you might want it will have more HD than you.

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Well, WoTB might still be a reasonable try against the swarms, if they take damage from it. Good idea, worth an attempt at least, 2x wail+ deadly earth might be enough to remove at least most of their HP.
Holy word etc is fairly useless in this game, any opposition for which you might want it will have more HD than you.
Holy Word is generally only good in PnP. In CRPG, you tend to run into things with a Final Fantasy style of monsters (i.e., things with multiple times your HP and HD). That said, a well-constructed Holy Word bomber in 3.5 is a DM's nightmare as it is a Core build with an inflated caster level (+6 at an absolute minimum, more with equipment shenannigans). Becomes worse if the Complete series is allowed, which is fairly common.

As for bugmaker, well, you know what I think of its numbers inflation nonsense.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd rather not use Kalikke because Deadly Earth doesn't do anything against ghosts (immune to bludgeoning), which represent half of the fights in the House.

Could pick Fire 3rd and do Magma Deadly Earth. And, if level 17, Cloud is a possibility (although still would need some energy in the mix to avoid mundane immunity).

Shadenuat

Arcane
The room with the 4 mandragora swarms seems like the worst problem so far. Web, tar pool, slow etc seems to do nothing noticable.
Last time I played web/anything that forces 1/2 speed + Slow (because it's Will affecting, you can probably Heighten it) + basic fire spells + kiting did the trick. They take x2 damage vs. Fire which overrides them passing their save vs. spells. I basically kited in real time with one character while others did their thing. On Unfair they should have a lot more HP than that, I think we're talking 600+.
You can also tank by simply re-casting Heal on your tank to restore stats.

Artisan items, you might have old bug where if you upgrade their houses they don't bring stuff

Longswords you didn't look well enough there is +2 and +3 before Pitax

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
Oh yeah, the mandragora swarms, that was funny. I had invincible Jaethal tank all 4 for 5 minutes whilst Ekun was peppering them from a distance. Deal 25 damage, fast healing 15. Repeat until dead :salute:

Shadenuat

Arcane
The room with the 4 mandragora swarms seems like the worst problem so far. Web, tar pool, slow etc seems to do nothing noticable.
Last time I played web/anything that forces 1/2 speed + Slow (because it's Will affecting, you can probably Heighten it) + basic fire spells + kiting did the trick. They take x2 damage vs. Fire which overrides them passing their save vs. spells. I basically kited in real time with one character while others did their thing. On Unfair they should have a lot more HP than that, I think we're talking 600+.
Is that ability damage or drain? heal does not remove drain.
It is temporary STR damage iirc

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think I killed them in a similar way. Sirroco on top of it all as well :D

hell bovine

Arcane
Somehow Jaethal has become invincible in my game, she can't go below 20 something HP. Honestly, it's fine by me, I've stopped caring by this point after fighting 1000 copy-pasted packs of Wild Hunt mobs and ghosts.. I just want to be done with the House. The companion bit was great but after that everything fell apart, I'm bored and no longer having fun.

How to shoot yourself in the foot after 5 chapters, demonstrated by yours truly, the Owlcats.
You can actually skip the key search and instead dimension door to the room where the lady of the house resides.

Wolfe

Arbiter
LOL, that's funny, I won't do it however because I've learnt the satisfaction of self-flagellation.

Kidding, that's good to know but it's a bit too cheap for my taste. I've found one of the three keys so far.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Does anyone know what is the highest Attack Bonus in the game for the enemies? I am trying to guess what is the maximum possible AC that one should have.
I think I saw someone attacking with +47 bonus on challenging difficulty.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Does anyone know what is the highest Attack Bonus in the game for the enemies? I am trying to guess what is the maximum possible AC that one should have.
I think Siroket has the highest. As far as I recall she has 46 to hit, 50 on unfair.
unknown.png

If you want to tank enemies safely, you need ~55 touch AC and ~70 normal AC.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
So displacement >>>> AC???
Exactly, you got it right all along. Having 50% concealment (i.e. getting hit anyway half the time) is perfectly safe. And the higher the BAB and the number of attacks of enemies, the safer it becomes. Pretty much anything >>> AC.
But the pinnacle of safety will displacement provide when you're facing mobs with feats like improved precise shot (like wild hunt archers). These are the times when the displacement / mirror image wheat will separate from the high AC chaff. I've seen that separation with my own eyes.

I've seen some noobs on the Codex claim that high AC + high saving throws are and always were the best form of defense. Those people are wrong. I've seen people claim making sure enemies can hit you only when rolling a 20 (5% of the time) is better than displacement (50%). Wrong again. 50 % > 5%, so displacement wins.

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
Exactly, you got it right all along. Having 50% concealment (i.e. getting hit anyway half the time) is perfectly safe. And the higher the BAB and the number of attacks of enemies, the safer it becomes. Pretty much anything >>> AC.
But the pinnacle of safety will displacement provide when you're facing mobs with feats like improved precise shot (like wild hunt archers). These are the times when the displacement / mirror image wheat will separate from the high AC chaff. I've seen that separation with my own eyes.

I've seen some noobs on the Codex claim that high AC + high saving throws are and always were the best form of defense. Those people are wrong.
On classes where it is hard to achieve high AC I am inclined to agree, however on any class where you allocate points into wisdom or charisma, achieving high AC is simply a case of placing a single level into monk. Ironically that makes casters the best at surviving (as well as dealing damage) since they can quite easily buff themselves up to over 70 AC, using tools like Legendary Proportions and Seamantle.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've seen some noobs on the Codex claim that high AC + high saving throws are and always were the best form of defense. Those people are wrong. I've seen people claim making sure enemies can hit you only when rolling a 20 (5% of the time) is better than displacement (50%). Wrong again. 50 % > 5%, so displacement wins.
original-25942-1427414325-9.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
But the pinnacle of safety will displacement provide when you're facing mobs with feats like improved precise shot (like wild hunt archers). These are the times when the displacement / mirror image wheat will separate from the high AC chaff.
Seeking Weapons ignore any concealment and I believe it's implemented for their bows. So it's not even 50 turning to 20 with 2 rolls (or however feats work meforget) if they had say IBF but 0%. (IPS I don't believe counters total concealment at all)

Last edited:

Sharpedge

Prophet
I think Siroket has the highest. As far as I recall she has 46 to hit, 50 on unfair.
unknown.png

If you want to tank enemies safely, you need ~55 touch AC and ~70 normal AC.

Yep. At this point, the best strategy seems to be hit first, hit fast and hit once.
I think you are missing the sarcasm from posters above (which I am choosing to ignore). No, you want both. It is quite possible to stack enough AC for everything and it doesn't really take much effort either. I could have covered the last 7 in this image, but I went into the fight the moment I reached it instead of waiting until I had what it would take to cover the rest, because I wanted to do it immediately. Also, in the case above, illusion spells won't help you anyhow since Siroket will hit you through mirror image and displacement due to reasons pointed out in the posts above mine.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-kingmaker/posts/2417223

Physical Rewards Status Update and Shipping Issues FAQ (Bonus: Collector's Edition Unboxing Video!)
Posted by Owlcat Games (Creator)

Dear Pathfinders,

First things first: we are finally reaching the end of our shipping campaign! This week we've shipped the last batch of regular boxed editions - around 200 copies. As for Collector's editions, there are about 300 of those left. Our estimate is that 99% of all physical rewards should arrive to their rightful owners in about a month, with the majority arriving in two weeks. If you suddenly realized that you had purchased a regular or Collector's boxed edition and forgot to give us your address - no worries, we'll send you your stuff! More on that later.

We are deeply sorry that it took us so long to deliver your physical rewards. Even though we knew that manufacturing and international shipping are quite complicated affairs and did our best to plan accordingly, we were unable to anticipate some of the pitfalls, and as a game developer, we didn't have a person on board who had the necessary experience to warn us in advance.

Another reason for this delay was that some of our manufacturers were unable to meet the deadlines that we had initially agreed upon. We do not wish to shift the blame on anyone - it was an otherwise perfectly productive and harmonious relationship, and we should have planned in more time for such a turn of events. Still, we have to admit that this didn't exactly help things out either.

Finally, a whole host of problems came about because we weren't shipping from Europe or North America. To our knowledge, we are the first Russian studio to offer extensive physical rewards on Kickstarter, and in a way, we had to break new ground, dealing with unique customs and international import law issues along the way.

Shipping Issues FAQ
All throughout the shipping campaign, we've stayed in contact with you via our e-mail and social media, as well as the comment wall on Kickstarter, and we have received many appalling reports of damaged boxes, packages held in customs, extra taxes and fees and other shipping-related problems. We wholeheartedly apologize for any frustration that these or similar issues might have caused you, and we'll do our best to remedy them. Here's a quick FAQ for you:

Q: I've just remembered that I haven't entered my shipping info on your site! Is it too late to get my stuff now?

A: Of course not! Just log into your account on owlcatgames.com and enter your shipping info there. Be sure to let us know via team@owlcatgames.com! We'll send you your stuff as soon as possible.

Q: My physical rewards have arrived in a subpar condition (damaged box/broken miniature/missing items...)!

A: Please, send an e-mail to team@owlcatgames.com, attach photos of the damage and describe what's wrong. Be sure to include photos of the packaging and the exterior of the box. We'll send you a replacement.

Q: The customs office is holding my package.

A: Send us an e-mail to team@owlcatgames.com, describe the issue you're having and attach scans of any communications you've had with the customs office.

Q: The customs office or shipping company is charging me extra fees for the shipment!

A: This is one of the issues that arose due to us shipping directly from Russia. Some countries' laws demand that a tax be paid for imported goods if the cost of said goods is higher than a certain designated amount. We are deeply sorry for this. As a token of our gratitude, we'd like to offer you a free download of the Premium Digital Edition of our studio's next game, including all the special in-game and out-of-game digital rewards. Your name will be included on a special list so that we can inform you when our next title is revealed, give you access to the beta, and send you your keys as soon as the game is released. Just send us an e-mail with the scans of the invoice you received.

Q: My issue is not on this list!

A: Don't worry, we'll come up with something! Just send us an e-mail (yep, you guessed it, team@owlcatgames.com), and we'll see what we can do. While we try to monitor the comment section on Kickstarter, only sending an e-mail guarantees that your issue will be addressed in the quickest and most efficient manner.

Bonus Video: Unboxing a Collector's Edition!
So, with business stuff out of the way, we can finally show off a little something we filmed a few days back! Ever wonder what our Collector's Edition carboard box looks like, and what it has inside? Well, wonder no more - here's an unboxing video for you! We hope you like it!

Wolfe

Arbiter
For those who have finished the game, how long do I have left considering I've found one of the three keys? Chapter 7 included.

Sharpedge

Prophet
For enemies like Siroket its best to cast icy prison and then fall asleep, but that is complete killjoy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom