Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow bard can give you a +2 and the enemies a -2.

I'm not using Linzi this playthrough and I've noticed that you do hit a wall a bit in trying to pass skillchecks the rest bonus and inspire competence really are needed.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
While I'm glad that you won the fight and that you got great experience from the game, I am kind of puzzled. Trolls are strong, but not very bright brutes; you fought them before the Trobold; you know that will is their weakest saving throw. So for me it would have been quite obvious to take a caster with lots of spells targeting will saves.

Because of my setup Octavia was the only real caster I had, and she was focused on transmutation (acid) and fire rays. Fire didn't hurt the trolls, so acid was all I had, and her haste stuff of course. I did have bless, cat, bull, haste and all that other stuff going, but Tristian didn't have many enemy nerfs or crowd control stuff. Linzi was doing all of that until 5 minutes beforehand. If I lost the fight a half dozen more times I would have gone back to town and planned it better, but it was a fun challenge beating it how I was.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow bard can give you a +2 and the enemies a -2.

I'm not using Linzi this playthrough and I've noticed that you do hit a wall a bit in trying to pass skillchecks the rest bonus and inspire competence really are needed.

All partywide (key):

lvl 5 - Courage gives +2 AB/+2 Dam (competence, unique effects only available to Barbs AB only via Lethal Stance and Archer's Gloves)
lvl 6 - Fascinate CC half (or more) of enemies each fight, can keep both up with Lingering Performance
lvl 7 Good Hope +2AB/+2 DAM/+2 skills (morale, so stacks with Courage, more or less group Heroism), Slow (group stagger = no iteratives, move or act)
lvl 8 Dirge of Doom -2AB/-2AC/-2 DAM/-2saves for all enemies

so net +6 and group CC just from those 4 levels.

Desiderius

Patron
While I'm glad that you won the fight and that you got great experience from the game, I am kind of puzzled. Trolls are strong, but not very bright brutes; you fought them before the Trobold; you know that will is their weakest saving throw. So for me it would have been quite obvious to take a caster with lots of spells targeting will saves.

Because of my setup Octavia was the only real caster I had, and she was focused on transmutation (acid) and fire rays. Fire didn't hurt the trolls, so acid was all I had, and her haste stuff of course. I did have bless, cat, bull, haste and all that other stuff going, but Tristian didn't have many enemy nerfs or crowd control stuff. Linzi was doing all of that until 5 minutes beforehand. If I lost the fight a half dozen more times I would have gone back to town and planned it better, but it was a fun challenge beating it how I was.

Really should take Harrim over Tristian too since he has quest ther and has big bonus v trolls.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Really should take Harrim over Tristian too since he has quest ther and has big bonus v trolls.

Yeah I'm not sure if I can still take him and the alchemist there for quests or not, but I don't like to meta-game. I like to play things out naturally if I can, so when I met the archer and he was like "let's go" and I got a warning about my town's stats, I just went for it. I'm not complaining about the challenge, I enjoyed it.

Erebus

Arcane
All partywide (key):

lvl 5 - Courage gives +2 AB/+2 Dam (competence, unique effects only available to Barbs AB only via Lethal Stance and Archer's Gloves)
lvl 6 - Fascinate CC half (or more) of enemies each fight, can keep both up with Lingering Performance
lvl 7 Good Hope +2AB/+2 DAM/+2 skills (morale, so stacks with Courage, more or less group Heroism), Slow (group stagger = no iteratives, move or act)
lvl 8 Dirge of Doom -2AB/-2AC/-2 DAM/-2saves for all enemies

so net +6 and group CC just from those 4 levels.

I was under the impression that, if you started a new bardic performance, the effects of the previous one immediately stopped. Can you get the effects of both at the same time thanks to Lingering Performance ?

Yosharian

Arcane
I was under the impression that, if you started a new bardic performance, the effects of the previous one immediately stopped. Can you get the effects of both at the same time thanks to Lingering Performance ?

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. But in Kingmaker, the previous performance is not cancelled. However, LP would still be a must-have feat even without this bug, because it really stretches your Bardic Performance rounds over the course of an adventuring 'day'.

Desiderius

Patron

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work. But in Kingmaker, the previous performance is not cancelled. However, LP would still be a must-have feat even without this bug, because it really stretches your Bardic Performance rounds over the course of an adventuring 'day'.

It's clunky enough to actually pull off - often precluding you from casting the spell you were counting on - that I'm fine with it working this way. You spent the feat on Lingering (you're already feat starved since you need a lot of help to deal decent damage/land your spells), you should get the benefit.

The power is how many unique group-wide effects you have.

Desiderius

Patron

Yeah I'm not sure if I can still take him and the alchemist there for quests or not, but I don't like to meta-game. I like to play things out naturally if I can, so when I met the archer and he was like "let's go" and I got a warning about my town's stats, I just went for it. I'm not complaining about the challenge, I enjoyed it.

It's not metagaming. The game tells you which companions have quests in certain areas. It's a good idea to just follow that, plus it adds variety to the game. Ekun, Harrim, and Jub all have a quest there. Those three and Linzi could clear the whole dungeon on unfair on their own.

Desiderius

Patron
So you would suggest taking lingering performance and extra songs on bard?
Fuck Extra Songs. Lingering Performance is a must-have feat for bards.

Linzi starts with Extra. MC Bard can't afford it, but Lingering is a must. They finally fixed Archaeologist so that it works on his song, which is why I'm back playing. My first MC finally works as intended.

Desiderius

Patron
Harrim isn't metagaming hotshot. I'm the only one who uses half his abilities and he's still a pain in the ass to keep alive.

Yosharian

Arcane
Basically just get used to activating Inspire Courage and then deactivating it as soon as it comes online. (Unless it's a boss fight of course.) That way your rounds last a hell of a lot longer.

Efe

Erudite
do you actually micro songs to spend 1 use per 3 rounds or just turn it on and off immediately?

Yosharian

Arcane
do you actually micro songs to spend 1 use per 3 rounds or just turn it on and off immediately?
Press the button, press it again as soon as it comes online. Sometimes takes a moment because your bard might be in the middle of doing something else.

If the fight lasts longer than 3 rounds then repeat.

Desiderius

Patron
Press the button, press it again as soon as it comes online. Sometimes takes a moment because your bard might be in the middle of doing something else.

If the fight lasts longer than 3 rounds then repeat.

It doesn't go nearly that smoothly, especially on the earlier lvls when turning on a song is a standard or move action. Even after you get Irovetti's Armor and it's supposed to be Free Action the game often takes its sweet time.

Main benefit is starting combat with Courage + Dirge/Fascinate up for a round or two.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's not metagaming. The game tells you which companions have quests in certain areas. It's a good idea to just follow that, plus it adds variety to the game.

Just FYI, you can take them there after clearing it out with no issues, takes like 2 minutes.

Desiderius

Patron
It's not metagaming. The game tells you which companions have quests in certain areas. It's a good idea to just follow that, plus it adds variety to the game.

Just FYI, you can take them there after clearing it out with no issues, takes like 2 minutes.

No, it takes traveling across the map and back, which for you could be two years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom