Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Irovetti's Armor does nothing for Bardic Performance

Singing Steel Breastplate

Singing Steel.jpg

Are you saying it's bugged?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No, it takes traveling across the map and back, which for you could be two years.

You're one of the most smells-his-own-farts guys I've met on here, and for the RPG Codex that's saying something. It's on the way to other shit, it's no big fucking deal. If you play a game by planning everything out in advance and always doing it the optimum way, you're kind of a bore.

Desiderius

Patron
You're one of the most smells-his-own-farts guys I've met on here, and for the RPG Codex that's saying something. It's on the way to other shit, it's no big fucking deal. If you play a game by planning everything out in advance and always doing it the optimum way, you're kind of a bore.

All that planning it took to read the fucking quest where Harrim asks to go to the Dwarven Ruins. It's on the way to exactly nothing - it's way out on the corner of the map. Take the L for once - the point of the game is to have fun continuously sucking less. Right now you suck at KM - we all did.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
All that planning it took to read the fucking quest where Harrim asks to go to the Dwarven Ruins. It on the way to exactly nothing - it's way out on the corner of the map. Take the L for once - the point of the game is to have fun continuously sucking less. Right now you suck at KM - we all did.

"The time limits in Kingmaker are no big deal!"

"YOU MUST DO THE OPTIMUM ROUTE AT ALL TIMES OR YOU SUCK!"

Can't have it both ways dude. There's stuff in that corner I haven't done yet, and more importantly I've got tons of time left according to every in-game piece of information. If somehow that ruins my game later, despite the trolls being done and 100+ days left on the timer for the curse, then the other thread is right and it's a poorly designed game I'll mod in the future. Simple as that. Either way, your repeated replies to "I'm having fun" with "WELL YOU COULD BE DOING X AND Y MORE OPTIMALLY" make you look like an Autism Junior Achiever Badge prize winner.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All that planning it took to read the fucking quest where Harrim asks to go to the Dwarven Ruins. It on the way to exactly nothing - it's way out on the corner of the map. Take the L for once - the point of the game is to have fun continuously sucking less. Right now you suck at KM - we all did.

Can't have it both ways dude. There's stuff in that corner I haven't done yet, and more importantly I've got tons of time left according to every in-game piece of information. If somehow that ruins my game later, despite the trolls being done and 100+ days left on the timer for the curse, then the other thread is right and it's a poorly designed game I'll mod in the future. Simple as that. Either way, your repeated replies to "I'm having fun" with "WELL YOU COULD BE DOING X AND Y MORE OPTIMALLY" make you look like an Autism Junior Achiever Badge prize winner.

The problem is really, who are having quest where is mentioned so its not that hard to be optimal, especially in Trobolld.

I am not sure about Ekkun, but you can do Harim's by revisitting Trobolld later. It used to soft-lock you but the Dev updated so you can revisit Trobolld.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem is really, who are having quest where is mentioned so its not that hard to be optimal, especially in Trobolld.

I never said I didn't realize Harrim and Jubilost had quests there. I just didn't care at the time, and it all worked out fine. Even if I lost those quests, they're not companions I'm really using, so whatevs. I'm not anal about this stuff, that's the point. Playing to game the system is boring.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess some people here overreacting a bit because they know where "not caring" about companion quests will lead in the end.

Consequences to decisions are cool aspects of RPGs, and living them out without gaming the system for a better results is what makes them interesting. If it breaks the game like a Sierra adventure then it's bad design, but otherwise I wouldn't want to game the system to get a better outcome. That sounds insanely boring to me. I could have let the troll boss go to save myself a half-dozen reloads, but I wanted to play the story my way. I could have gone back to town and gotten Linzi and equipped different stuff, but I'd rather keep giving it a go and feel great when I succeed. It's all about how you enjoy games I guess, some people obviously are in it more for perfectly planned character builds and 100%'ing things or whatever, but I've never been that guy. There are quests I haven't done in my favorite games of all time, because I haven't naturally come across them yet.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
DalekFlay My definition of fun is doing everything in the most optimal way possible and finding (or at least reading) about new ways to do so. If you disagree with such definition then you are, obviously, a heathen who needs to be burned at the stake.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

It's not that you're ignorant (we all are more or less, which is a great thing about the game), it's that you know things that aren't so. Repeatedly.

You don't have more things to do in that corner because there aren't more things to do in that corner (until Bart, maybe, superlate). Taking the companions the game itself recommends is not gaming the system, it's the exact opposite.

There's a difference between minmaxxing and figuring out how to remove Blindness so you don't spend the whole game flatfooted and missing half your attacks. That was evidently such a problem that Owlcat not only had to nerf the Technic League fight but the Blindness effect itself to make it eventually expire. I'd rather people get a decent handle on how the game is designed to be played (which itself subverts a lot of the minmaxxer bullshit) so they don't have to keep nerfing basic shit going forward.

Desiderius

Patron
I never said I didn't realize Harrim and Jubilost had quests there. I just didn't care.
I guess some people here overreacting a bit because they know where "not caring" about companion quests will lead in the end.

My guess is that the designers intended different companions to be used for different encounters, which is a nice way to keep some spice in the game. Whether out of habit, convenience, or not getting the pretty overbearing hint most people tend to stick with one party and Porky their way through. Even if you go that way there's irreplaceable EXP you get from the Companion quests themselves.

Desiderius

Patron
DalekFlay My definition of fun is doing everything in the most optimal way possible and finding (or at least reading) about new ways to do so. If you disagree with such definition then you are, obviously, a heathen who needs to be burned at the stake.

Pour encourager les autres!

Desiderius

Patron

Consequences to decisions are cool aspects of RPGs, and living them out without gaming the system for a better results is what makes them interesting. If it breaks the game like a Sierra adventure then it's bad design, but otherwise I wouldn't want to game the system to get a better outcome. That sounds insanely boring to me. I could have let the troll boss go to save myself a half-dozen reloads, but I wanted to play the story my way. I could have gone back to town and gotten Linzi and equipped different stuff, but I'd rather keep giving it a go and feel great when I succeed. It's all about how you enjoy games I guess, some people obviously are in it more for perfectly planned character builds and 100%'ing things or whatever, but I've never been that guy. There are quests I haven't done in my favorite games of all time, because I haven't naturally come across them yet.

Nobody is telling you to game the system. You're hallucinating that.

Time is the essence of KM, but it's 95% carrot, not stick. The game will play smoother the better you manage KM, but you won't lose the game once you figure out how Bald Hilltop works.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow Valarie is not much different than Octavia.

Getting drunk and talking about how much of a hoebag and how my character reminds you of some guy you used to bang isn't erotic, it is even worse that she pretends to be a good girl.

Lucky I'm two timing this human toilet with Kanerah.

Waifu scholar really is a fraud if he likes Valarie.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You don't have more things to do in that corner because there aren't more things to do in that corner (until Bart, maybe, superlate). Taking the companions the game itself recommends is not gaming the system, it's the exact opposite.

I think you're incapable of understanding the point of view of not caring what you're supposed to be doing, or what the best way to handle an encounter is, as long as you're getting by just fine your own way. Which is cool dude, people play games differently. Just cool down on the "you are not playing right!!!" autism replies.

Desiderius

Patron

I think you're incapable of understanding the point of view of not caring what you're supposed to be doing, or what the best way to handle an encounter is, as long as you're getting by just fine your own way. Which is cool dude, people play games differently. Just cool down on the "you are not playing right!!!" autism replies.

I've understood all that from the very beginning. I'm a teacher and a parent - you don't think I haven't seen that horseshit a thousand times?

If you didn't care you wouldn't make shit up that isn't true. Repeatedly.

I'm intimately familiar with using the pretense of apathy to protect against the possibility of ever appearing pathetic - it's a plague that afflicts the entire society, none more so than game design where it drives the perpetual faceroll.

For what, the third? fourth? time, we're all pathetic our first time through. It's that sense of accomplishment from becoming less pathetic that makes great games worth playing, and replaying, and what Sawyertard games are missing since they're terrified of triggering people like yourself.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Speaking of which. How is your playthrough coming along? Desiderius

Hitting the sweet spot where things really take off. Just made lvl 7.

Big one for Val, who's taking a break until Ekun finishes Troll Trouble:

Val lvl 7.jpg

Val lvl 7 part 2.jpg

Dweomercat payback, saves me from ambush:

Dwermercat Save.jpg

This may mean Teleportation Circles before Season, lucky break:

Big Divine Boost.jpg

I took the 500 BP this time, we'll see how it works out.

MC doing his thing:

Sneaky MC.jpg

Desiderius

Patron
its not that hard to be optimal, especially in Trobolld.

It's entirely possible that Harrim isn't optimal for new players, who often need the margin for error provided by Tristian's healing. The trade-off being the week or whatever you blow getting back there for Harrim's quest.

Being forced into figuring out how to make Harrim productive in that quest (if you want to get it done all at once) goes a long way to making you a better player in general.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you didn't care you wouldn't make shit up that isn't true. Repeatedly.

Your autistic optimization stuff aside, what am I making up? Troll king fight happened just as I described it, situation was just as I described it, etc. etc. I have no idea what you're referencing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom