Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Has anyone ever tried the Faterender?
vOdCZA0.png
Its ability seems extremely powerful. The base damage is only 1d8 (however, if you fight with 2 weapons, you usually have even less than that) and I don't like the 20x3 critical. However, 1d10+Strength on each secondary attack is a big deal. Am I missing something?
That looks fun in theory. Never used it though.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
vOdCZA0.png
Its ability seems extremely powerful. The base damage is only 1d8 (however, if you fight with 2 weapons, you usually have even less than that) and I don't like the 20x3 critical. However, 1d10+Strength on each secondary attack is a big deal. Am I missing something?
Honestly I don't know, ask Hap he's the weapon expert

I made you a build based on it two weeks ago.

Half-Orc gets it with Martial. You can either go Vivi since you don't crit much (making Sneaks relatively stronger than maxxing d8s with Lead Blades for instance) or Freebooter 10 so you can get Combat Style Two Weapon, Lead Blades, and can stack max STR instead of worrying about DEX. In any case high attack builds benefit from Barb 10 and Pounce to get all those attacks in. BooterBarb is also full BAB so gets up to 18 damage on Power Attack.

Bane is Move and Pounce is Standard so go together like hand in glove.

Erebus

Arcane
Jaethal is pleasantly machiavellian as a Curator. She only values art as a way to manipulate people.

Go fuck yourself. That's not pleasant, that straight-up Decline.

Machiavelli himself would be both disgusted and mystified by such an attitude.

C'mon, let's be realistic, the rulers of the Renaissance (such as the Medici or Louis XIV) were patrons of the arts mainly because it contributed to their fame. They may have enjoyed art in itself, but it wasn't their main motivation.

Desiderius

Patron
Jaethal is pleasantly machiavellian as a Curator. She only values art as a way to manipulate people.

Go fuck yourself. That's not pleasant, that straight-up Decline.

Machiavelli himself would be both disgusted and mystified by such an attitude.

C'mon, let's be realistic, the rulers of the Renaissance (such as the Medici or Louis XIV) were patrons of the arts mainly because it contributed to their fame. They may have enjoyed art in itself, but it wasn't their main motivation.

I'm being as realistic as a heart attack. You said only and pleasant.

Both Machiavelli and the ambitious thugs who imprisoned him would find that disgusting. They knew as well as any that their motives were mixed, not simply base, and certainly wouldn't have found those moved by the base alone pleasant, nor fools who imagined that was all there was to life out of some misguided nihilistic gnosticism.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
vOdCZA0.png

Half-Orc gets it with Martial. You can either go Vivi since you don't crit much (making Sneaks relatively stronger than maxxing d8s with Lead Blades for instance) or Freebooter 10 so you can get Combat Style Two Weapon, Lead Blades, and can stack max STR instead of worrying about DEX. In any case high attack builds benefit from Barb 10 and Pounce to get all those attacks in. BooterBarb is also full BAB so gets up to 18 damage on Power Attack.

Desiderius knows what he's talking about.

And he also already stated the opinion on Faterender and compared it with Vanquisher. I think the same: kinda cool, flavorful, but ultimately inferior to other end game weapons.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
vOdCZA0.png

And he also already stated the opinion on Faterender and compared it with Vanquisher. I think the same: kinda cool, flavorful, but ultimately inferior to other end game weapons.
Just to understand, what's an example of an end game weapon?

Desiderius

Patron
If you put the work in it's not necessarily inferior, it's just narrower since you need to put all that work in. Ultimately it's also just damage. My favorite endgame weapons change how the game is played.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
vOdCZA0.png

For example the already mentioned Vanquisher greataxe (obtainable around level 12...or even 7 if you really cheese it).
+5, +10 slash damage PER Hit (multiplied on crits!) - essentially 11-22 base damage, extended crit range 19-20/x3 (17-20/x3 with imp. Crit).

Redeemer longsword +5 Holy, Fire, destructive increased crit multiplier 19-20/x3, casts Transformation.

Mastery fauchard: +5, +5 CMB, bonus hit on landed Combat Maneuver (no attack roll needed; note with the Bite trip cloak, you can trip several times per round in addition to normal attacks...); permanent Freedom, immune to Trips and Bullrushes (not that anyone uses them).

These are just examples.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
vOdCZA0.png

For example the already mentioned Vanquisher greataxe (obtainable around level 12...or even 7 if you really cheese it).
+5, +10 slash damage PER Hit (multiplied on crits!) - essentially 11-22 base damage, extended crit range 19-20/x3 (17-20/x3 with imp. Crit).

Redeemer longsword +5 Holy, Fire, destructive increased crit multiplier 19-20/x3, casts Transformation.

Mastery fauchard: +5, +5 CMB, bonus hit on landed Combat Maneuver (no attack roll needed; note with the Bite trip cloak, you can trip several times per round in addition to normal attacks...); permanent Freedom, immune to Trips and Bullrushes (not that anyone uses them).

These are just examples.
Okay, so we are talking either about weapons with an impressive unique ability (a bonus hit on each successful combat maneuver) or with a noticeable bonus to damage (on an already "pumped" weapon thanks to the increased multiplier/extended range). Moreover, all these weapons can be two-handed, so you get everything you can out of you Strength bonus and Power Attack.

During all my other playthroughs I mostly ignored weapons and items in general, because usually it's not an aspect I care about. However, this time I tried to pay attention to them as much as I could and these are the ones that stood out to me:
- Tormentor: a +5 falchion that applies a stacking -1 penalty to saving throws on each hit;
- Obliteration: a +5 earth breaker that applies a stacking -2 penalty to AC on each hit;
- Allslayer: a +5 keen shortsword that completely ignores damage reduction;
- Edict: a +4 dagger that applies a -3 penalty to will saves;
- Thundering Claw of the Bear God: a +4 shock thundering scimitar that adds the shock and thundering properties to every natural weapon of the wielder and its animal companion and cast a single Call Lightning for 5d6 damage on a critical hit, both from the scimitar and natural weapons.

These are all very particular weapons (the last one above them all) that, even if certainly inferior on every numeric value if compared to Vanquisher/Redeemer, manage to make me want to use them.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Obviously this is a pointless discussion because who cares about weapons when I can cast my maximized empowered polar rays/horrid wiltings that ignore spell resistance.

Desiderius

Patron
These are all very particular weapons (the last one above them all) that, even if certainly inferior on every numeric value if compared to Vanquisher/Redeemer, manage to make me want to use them.

Yes, I believe this concept to be at the heart of the entire design. And since many of these weapons (and similar items in general) are largely produced by artisans they're the main payoff of good kingdom management. The problem of course being that the Hurr, Durr Stoopid Minigame Sucking at Game = Game Sucking crew then never makes it to the heart of the game and you end up with bad reviews. My sense is that is why they seeded the lategame/Depths with similar items.

Desiderius

Patron
Obviously this is a pointless discussion because who cares about weapons when I can cast my maximized empowered polar rays/horrid wiltings that ignore spell resistance.

I do because you only get three of those per rest which leaves you short a couple orders of magnitude.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
vOdCZA0.png

These are just examples.
Okay, so we are talking either about weapons with an impressive unique ability (a bonus hit on each successful combat maneuver) or with a noticeable bonus to damage (on an already "pumped" weapon thanks to the increased multiplier/extended range). Moreover, all these weapons can be two-handed, so you get everything you can out of you Strength bonus and Power Attack.

During all my other playthroughs I mostly ignored weapons and items in general, because usually it's not an aspect I care about. However, this time I tried to pay attention to them as much as I could and these are the ones that stood out to me:
- Tormentor: a +5 falchion that applies a stacking -1 penalty to saving throws on each hit;
- Obliteration: a +5 earth breaker that applies a stacking -2 penalty to AC on each hit;
- Allslayer: a +5 keen shortsword that completely ignores damage reduction;
- Edict: a +4 dagger that applies a -3 penalty to will saves;
- Thundering Claw of the Bear God: a +4 shock thundering scimitar that adds the shock and thundering properties to every natural weapon of the wielder and its animal companion and cast a single Call Lightning for 5d6 damage on a critical hit, both from the scimitar and natural weapons.

Yes, those are situationally interesting also. However I'd only really use the Allslayer.

Stuff like stacking save penalty on hit sounds interesting... But then you realize that 95% of the mobs shouldn't survive a full attack from a two-hander. Most of the rest should fall soon afterwards... So generally those are pretty moot.

Thundering Claw sounds interesting, but has small damage dice for a non-light weapon, no crit boosts and would be much less effective then the alternatives.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

I do because you only get three of those per rest which leaves you short a couple orders of magnitude.
I agree, I tend to spend the minimum number of slots required each fight, to keep running without rests as long as I can. I am going through the Castle of Knives and I think I used Horrid Wilting only three times in the entire playthrough. Probably also because I don't like damaging spells that much.

Yes, those are situationally interesting also. However I'd only really use the Allslayer.

Stuff like stacking save penalty on hit sounds interesting... But then you realize that 95% of the mobs shouldn't survive a full attack from a two-hander. Most of the rest should fall soon afterwards... So generally those are pretty moot.
Yeah, I'm probably thinking only about the Spawn fight, since even a full attack with a not so optimal weapon like Ruin is enough to take down almost anything.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Hitting criticals with big weapons is amazing and all, but to me nothing beats the feeling of the sporadic critical Enervation:
9gOfgvK.png
After 18 negative levels, Burble's DC is 18. :incline:

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah, I'm probably thinking only about the Spawn fight, since even a full attack with a not so optimal weapon like Ruin is enough to take down almost anything.

My thinking is colored by my main playthrough having MC ranged and Ekun destroying everything before melee even gets to start their full attacks, so I'm somewhat biased there too.

That's why I was doing a Combat Maneuver playthrough on Challenging/Hard (including Hard KM) to turn down the damage on both sides. If they ever fully support CMs or a mod comes out which does so I'll finish that playthrough.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
A Paladin/Monk with Ruin against the Spawn of Rovagug is hilarious. Fully buffed, with an additional attack from Haste and one from Flurry of Blows, this is the result of the first full attack:
oboOyRC.png
Without any crit (it's a quarterstaff, so it's very unlikely to get one), she halved the Spawn HP dealing a grand total of 694 damage.

Desiderius

Patron
A Paladin/Monk with Ruin against the Spawn of Rovagug is hilarious. Fully buffed, with an additional attack from Haste and one from Flurry of Blows, this is the result of the first full attack:
oboOyRC.png
Without any crit (it's a quarterstaff, so it's very unlikely to get one), she halved the Spawn HP dealing a grand total of 694 damage.

Next time bring Harrim's Destructive Aura along for another 200 or so.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
oboOyRC.png

Next time bring Harrim's Destructive Aura along for another 200 or so.
Destructive Aura would have added 7 damage to each attack (so 42 in total), if I'm not mistaken. I'm level 18 and I already have Good Hope active.
Still, domains in this game are very well implemented, most of them offer very incisive features and, at least for me, it's always hard to decide which one to choose.

Yosharian

Arcane
Honestly there aren't many decent quarterstaves for physical damage. Twin Serpents is the best one but only because it bypasses DR completely

Ruin is alright I guess, just a little boring

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
I think I'm going to start running some physical DPS tests on like a 10000 hp npc or something

Wanna find out how these weapons actually perform

What AC should I use for the test?

Yosharian

Arcane
First test is done

tested using Professor Pain, 10000HP enemy, Shaken to induce Sneak Attacks, only miss on a Critical Miss, all relevant buffs active

Faterender
1:36
Redeemer/Allslayer
1:36
Vanquisher
1:46
Vanquisher/PA no Sneak dice
2:25
Redeemer/Redeemer
1:21
Blinding Light/Blinding Light
1:34
Graveyard of Giants
1:57
Graveyard of Giants/PA no Sneak dice
2:46

Interesting how Faterender and Redeemer/Allslayer are so closely matched.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom