Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
And that is exactly what Pathfinder: Kingmaker does.

Nowhere is it implied at any time that not doing companion quests can end in a no-win scenario later on.
In fact, most of the endgame areas practically REQUIRE foreknowledge of the encounters in order to prepare for them.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well after all the patches you get easy replacement parachuted in at the front door, so less of an issue now. Sounds annoying at launch though for sure, and that makes all the complaints I see make more sense. Somehow I only lost companions I didn't give a shit about, which ideally should be the way it goes. Valerie sticking with you no matter what is a life saver for me though, since I failed her quest and rely on her a lot.

Onionguy

Educated
Kingmaker's companions are obnoxious. They all sound like some overacted cartoon characters. Listening to them gave me constant Critical Role recollections. Even the worst ones from bg2 feel more natural then that shit. The lengths to which some of you go with this game's defense is ridiculous. Kingmaker has many merits, but the general tone and the companions are not one of them. We will see if any of it is changed in the sequel, but I doubt it.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nowhere is it implied at any time that not doing companion quests can end in a no-win scenario later on.
Well, you take some of them in your party to fight together. You spend several years of in-game time with them. Some of them have positions at your court as advisors. Every quest starts from some request or plight of the companion, it is always explicit. You ignore all (or most) of their plights for all those years, but you do not send them away and continue using them in quite dangerous situations.

In this case their decision to abandon you when your kingdom is on the brink of destruction is totally justified, and if the player does not see it then the problem is not in the game.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Kingmaker's companions are obnoxious. They all sound like some overacted cartoon characters. Listening to them gave me constant Critical Role recollections. Even the worst ones from bg2 feel more natural then that shit. The lengths to which some of you go with this game's defense is ridiculous. Kingmaker has many merits, but the general tone and the companions are not one of them. We will see if any of it is changed in the sequel, but I doubt it.

That's not defense, it's offense. Why do you need to pretend we're shills? We've had all sorts of critiques, we just disagree on this one.

The Mary Sues start out obnoxious (as they are in every other game out there), then get their comeuppance, that's the point. Linzi's comeuppance is a little too Slavic for my taste, but if she grates on you you do have something to look forward to.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
People say they want C&C then bitch about the C. I can get being annoyed by Val, but to say her mechanics are bad or whatever is just ignorance of the game. She has four dominant builds.

It's not a blobber, these kinds of games are designed around companions now, this one I've belatedly figured out can be owned by tailoring different companions for different chapters. Bitching about having to use companions is akin to bitching about a sonnet having 14 lines.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
People say they want C&C then bitch about the C. I can get being annoyed by Val, but to say her mechanics are bad or whatever is just ignorance of the game. She has four dominant builds.

It's not a blobber, these kinds of games are designed around companions now, this one I've belatedly figured out can be owned by tailoring different companions for different chapters. Bitching about having to use companions is akin to bitching about a sonnet having 14 lines.

What are those 4 val builds?
I guess:

1. Fighter/Stalwart Defender
2. Fighter/Sorceress/Eldritch Knight
3. Uuuuh, Fighter/Freebooter?
4. No Idea

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>The lengths to which some of you go with this game's defense is ridiculous.
We're all capable of criticizing the game. It just so happens that there are disagreements on the merits of those criticisms. But by all means, you're entitled to your pompous opinion.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron

I guess:

4. No Idea
Bard Valerie.

Yosharian

Arcane
FINALLY someone else who thinks this

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron

I guess:

4. No Idea
Kinetic Knight Valerie.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The wriggling man fight went from maybe the hardest thing in the game for me to super easy once I loaded Octavia up with acid spray AoE whatever. Was not built for AoE at all until that fight. He went down like a chump to that and a couple Harrim AoEs before he even summoned a third beast.

I don't think this Nyrissa dungeon near the end is hard or even obnoxious. It's pretty good. Too long, but everything in this game is. The fact there's a short bonus chapter after this is mind-boggling. Game is way too long.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>The fact there's a short bonus chapter after this is mind-boggling.
What did he mean by this.... You don't even need to do it. You can skip it and go straight towards the credits. The fact that it's there, is nice. As it allows players to enjoy their level 20 power against end game mobs. You also get to experience a nice boss fight that is simply amazing.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What did he mean by this.... You don't even need to do it. You can skip it and go straight towards the credits. The fact that it's there, is nice. As it allows players to enjoy their level 20 power against end game mobs.

Well maybe I won't experience it. We'll see, I'm gonna make the decisions I feel my character would either way. I only know there's another mini-chapter because of people casually mentioning it. I don't know anything about it really.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sure. In any case, that last chapter was a highlight for me. Final boss fight was great, and worth experiencing at least once.

If I don't get it maybe someday I'll reinstall, load a save somewhere and make the right decisions to play that and also play the Varnhold DLC. I'm ready to move on right now though.

Desiderius

Patron
FINALLY someone else who thinks this

TBF, I just realized I've been playing with the sound turned down the whole time so yeah the voices can get annoying I guess.

Desiderius

Patron

I guess:

4. No Idea
Kinetic Knight Valerie.

1. Feyspeaker Double Smilodon (this was so ridiculous I lost interest before even getting to the Val as Displacer Beast part. Greater Invis/Displacement on Smilodon pet was soloing the game.)
2. Evocation Bard (Tower Shield + Dodge + Toughness meant she was fine on the front lines where she owned with her cone spells vs Fortitude - weak save for late game mobs)
3. Kinetic Knight (Whirlwind Bowling Infusion OP)
4. TSS9 whatever

Currently on Oracle with Battle Mystery as I've moved to modded to prepare for Wrath. Reliably informed that Sylvan Sorc is pretty sweet too, but I hate to burn the Tower Shield.

Desiderius

Patron
And that is exactly what Pathfinder: Kingmaker does.

In fact, most of the endgame areas practically REQUIRE foreknowledge of the encounters in order to prepare for them.
And that is beyond bad game design.

Such as? Yeah, of course replayability is a strength of the game so you'll definitely be much stronger forewarned but I have difficulty imagining anything impossible for a well-prepared party on normal.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sure. In any case, that last chapter was a highlight for me. Final boss fight was great, and worth experiencing at least once.

Well I didn't see much choice. I killed you know who and it sent me right on to the next chapter. Not sure what goes straight to credits there.

Last chapter seems neat though, and hopefully fast.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I did it! I did it! HOLY SHT! I FUCKING DID IT! That encounter just shaved 10 years off of my back! Holy FUCK! So many attempts, all utter failures on Unfair. But this time, on Hard, I managed to do it!

7lLFKZB.png

yEyDubF.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom