Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, you're a badass :O Apologies mate, didn't realize I was in the presence of such an Alpha Male

edit: not such an alpha male after all. I see you edited the fuck out of your post to explain away your misnomer lol

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
I do not think that you can avoid being dependent on RNG in early (at the very least, not sure about later) Unfair.
On any other difficulty you can stack the odds in you favor bigtime. Not on Unfair. Or, if there is a way, I do not see it. Early Unfair looks like trolling by the developers to me.

Grunker, Necro should be fine for damage-dealing AoE on higher levels (lvl6 for spells and on iirc). I have not used Necro on Unfair, though. I am more of a Debuffer Wizard type of player myself.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I do not think that you can avoid being dependent on RNG in early (at the very least, not sure about later) Unfair.

You can if you go all-out on the cheese. At least fairly early on. But I like trying to make off-kilter builds work. Or well, somewhat off-kilter - can't gimp myself too much on unfair I think.

Grunker, Necro should be fine for AoE in higher levels (lvl6 for spells and on iirc). I have not used it on Unfair, though. I am more of a Debuffer Wizard type of player myself.

Never built a necro in P&P either so thought I would see how high I could push the DCs. But IIRC from my RTWP-playthrough, AoE damage becomes less important later on *except* for waaaay late where it becomes alpha omega against those pesky swarms?

Trashos

Arcane
Well, I would say that AoE is always useful (and in a full party there should always be an AoE member), but it definitely makes one's life much easier from Ch5 on.

Trashos

Arcane
Not to mention that people who are complaining about trash mobs late are usually the ones who tend to not use AoE spells. There are some awesome AoE spells on high levels, and Owlcats were kind enough to provide us with the content to use them.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
On any other difficulty you can stack the odds in you favor bigtime. Not on Unfair. Or, if there is a way, I do not see it. Early Unfair looks like trolling by the developers to me.

By around level ten you can get there. Nothing cheesy about it - you just choose redundancy over spike power and employ the tools you're given. Even Image isn't a failsafe since the harder mobs late have True Seeing, but then you have a toon who can Dispel that and you're good.

Jae13Inqowning Devourer.jpg

The great Arms Race ala BG2 Mage battles.

Well, I would say that AoE is always useful (and in a full party there should always be an AoE member), but it definitely makes one's life much easier from Ch5 on.

I've come around on that. Definitely a useful part of a good player's toolkit. Plays to the strengths of Tristian's build in particular.

Desiderius

Patron
If only you were as good at creating stringent definitions as you are at following web builds I think you'd be a Peak Human!

Some people play an imaginary game, you're talking to an imaginary person. I'll still be here when you're ready for the real.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
shit with the V button.
My goal is to get such autopause settings that I do not need the "V" button. So far I'm almost there, used "V" in only 2-3 fights on the alpha strike phase.

"Ablative armor". I have written it to you, haven't I?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Never built a necro in P&P either so thought I would see how high I could push the DCs. But IIRC from my RTWP-playthrough, AoE damage becomes less important later on *except* for waaaay late where it becomes alpha omega against those pesky swarms?

Stormbolts alone are (almost) all you need to clear whole rooms of enemies. If anything, aoe damage only becomes stronger as the game progresses.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Stormbolts alone are (almost) all you need to clear whole rooms of enemies. If anything, aoe damage only becomes stronger as the game progresses.

Wanna cheese? Pick the maximize and empower rod and cast a few cloudkills, then a kineticist casts deadly earth + cloud and then the sorcerer/wizard casts a few sirrocos. An cleric / druid casting polar midnight can also help a lot.

Just picture the damage. the 3x empowered maximized cloudkill will deal 9~18 CON damage depending on the saves PER TURN, and the sirrocos will dumb the mob to the deadly earth ground with it. Even end game mobs like jabberwock die in a couple of seconds with that strategy. For earlier levels, animate dead + cloudkill is a amazing combo too.

anyway, reached LV 8 on ch 1.

GpvSvd5.jpeg

creH5pk.jpeg

I an enjoying a lot the "Sage Sorcerer". For solo players, be able to have INT means that you can train more skills and it increases the soloability.

Desiderius

Patron
I was just talking about chucking a Fireball with Lesser Maximize for the Spider Ambush in Womb. But of course Tristian brings other things to the table as well.

No need for nuke and kite hoping for good rolls if you’re part of a solid team.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You have a full party. From a strategic perspective someone should take on the AoE responsibility.

I mean, nothing is stopping a necro-focused sorcerer from throwing in a fireball now and again ;)

Indeed. Or picking Arcane Trickster tricks. Would help greatly those Fingers of Death, Horrid Wiltings and such. Although that's maybe a little more painful for a sorc.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Anyone play the TB with a controller yet? I'm wondering if it's plug-n-play or we'll have to use a trash Xpadder, which I'm never going to do ever if that's true.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Anyone play the TB with a controller yet? I'm wondering if it's plug-n-play or we'll have to use a trash Xpadder, which I'm never going to do ever if that's true.
During the game intro there is a mandatory pause where the game asks to press a button either on the keyboard or on the controller. I think it determines the input device at that time, and then works through Windows API (XInput.dll or something).

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I know that when you choose angelic aspect and then poli into dragon, you end up a dragon with angel wings, which might as well be the coolest thing I have ever seen in a videogame ever, but I have never tried druid shapeshift from an Asimar.
Yep, it works folks. A smilodon with angel's wings is no problem. A shambling mound with the same is there too. It looks and works as it should, which means - looks weird. Fun stuff.
Tried to theorize a build for a shapeshifting feyspeaker aasimar-angelkin. You can make the bastard real tanky. With one level of scaled fist (duh) he has high AC/touch AC/Mirror Image (and even it's own blur, displacement, greater invisibility or greater heroism). The saves aren't great but ok. His own damage is meh but it's doubled by the pet. The 1/2 BAB sucks though. Ah and magic fang works on yourself when shifted. Didn't knew this, I never played a druid before.

This thread is now officially a poll of people who can and cannot use autopause.
Oh but they do. They just don't like it.

And a traditional short question. Shambling mound has two slam attacks. They do 2d6 of damage* each and it doesn't increase with size, unlike most other natural attacks. Works as intended according to PnP or is it another small oversight by devs ?

*normal attacks not the ability.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
And a traditional short question. Shambling mound has two slam attacks. They do 2d6 of damage* each and it doesn't increase with size, unlike most other natural attacks. Works as intended according to PnP or is it another small oversight by devs ?

Here's the PnP rules.
Natural attacks by size.png

Slam attack damage should increase by size, but Shambling Mounds already deal the damage for Gargantuan size despite being Large. I can't figure out the reason at the moment. In contrast, Vampire Slam attacks deal 1d4 damage, as they should. I'll admit I'd never thought about it before, and I'll chalk it up to a weird corner case rule interaction. If it came up in one of my games I'd houserule that a Gargantuan Shambling Mound deals 4d6 damage, as per Tail Slap progression, but that'd be just me.

Desiderius

Patron
One of the benefits of shifting is that most forms don’t care about BAB. You get all your iteratives up front and they’re not -5 per. You need that Magic Fang (Greater, or Amulet) because unlike pets you don’t get free scaling Enhanced Attax.

Which is a pain for Feyspeaker (I.e. Val) because they never got around to giving them CHR-based Natural Spell.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
You're right, I didn't catch this, You need 13 wisdom for the feat. Damn. Combined with lack of spontaneous summoning (not a huge deal but still) your shifter feyspeaker will be relegated to mostly buffs. At least with additional spells from fey magic he has a good selection of those.

Desiderius

Patron
You're right, I didn't catch this, You need 13 wisdom for the feat. Damn. Combined with lack of spontaneous summoning (not a huge deal but still) your shifter feyspeaker will be relegated to mostly buffs. At least with additional spells from fey magic he has a good selection of those.

Yeah, I mean if you’re Shifting that means your action economy is attacking anyway so no big loss. I ended up tanking, Dazzling, and casting unshifted (Frigid Touch is a good one) with Val until lvl 13 when she got Smilo form. You’re really not doing much damage shifted until you get Fearful Aspect anyway, and by that point getting +4 WIS for Natural Spell is easy.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Anyone know the exact difference between moderately and much tougher enemies? I see Unfair selects the former by default, but I'm considering turning it up to max

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom