Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Someone in the chat asked her why there's no "dismiss spell" in the game, and her answer was "oh, yeah, that would be helpful... let me write it down. I don't know why we haven't that in the game yet, maybe it's too hard to implement".

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Someone in the chat asked her why there's no "dismiss spell" in the game, and her answer was "oh, yeah, that would be helpful... let me write it down. I don't know why we haven't that in the game yet, maybe it's too hard to implement".
That "someone" was me. I watch their live streams a lot. I usually distill your (the participants of this thread) autism into 1 or 2 ideas, and try to subtly pass them on. They, generally, pick up on stuff. Like this one.

Plus... their streams can be a lot of fun. Especially when this item dev hosts them. She can be really charismatic.

Shadenuat

Arcane
oh yeah just fixing continious spells with a dismiss spell which only works out of combat like 99dc dispell.
I remember I wrote them that into message system too in a year a
when did game come out?
yeah same year when monk abilities were still bugged
unless they still are and it's this year...
all signs of my progressing dementia.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
That "someone" was me. I watch their live streams a lot. I usually distill your (the participants of this thread) autism into 1 or 2 ideas, and try to subtly pass them on. They, generally, pick up on stuff. Like this one.

Plus... their streams can be a lot of fun. Especially when this item dev hosts them. She can be really charismatic.

Tell them to add Piranha Strike as a prereq for Cornugan Smash/Dreadful Carnage to save Regill's whole build.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Turn-based is much more fun in this game. Too many trash mobs for that mode tho

I've never felt that way. Maybe because I used many more aoe spells and spell like abilities (like Kineticist Blade Whirwind) then in real time - with more optimal placement too. The game never felt sluggish or slow, even during trash-fights - at least the spellcasters accomplished much MORE in a given round.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Turn-based is much more fun in this game. Too many trash mobs for that mode tho

I've never felt that way. Maybe because I used many more aoe spells and spell like abilities (like Kineticist Blade Whirwind) then in real time - with more optimal placement too. The game never felt sluggish or slow, even during trash-fights - at least the spellcasters accomplished much MORE in a given round.

Well, I'm not that far yet, but The Old Sycamore area feels pretty trashy, even with sped up animations. Maybe it's because I'm playing on unfair so I miss alot which draws out the fights.

Select fights are waaaaay more fun than on rtwp with all the complexity going on, but I could do without stuff like 7x of those leopard-type enemies. It's an excersise in Entangle/Grease patience, especially if I get unlucky and miss a bunch so I have to reload and watch 7 enemies walk slow through entangle again :P

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Kingmaker does have too high encounter density and too many trash fights. Particularly in certain areas (City of Eyes... ugh). But that's also true in real time.
And once you have some good aoe potential, you can clean trash quickly in Turn based.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't think it's true in realtime, but then again I've always been miffed at criticism of trash fights in RTWP. I mean, trash encounters are typically so fast there that's it not a problem. I even had no issues with Derp Road.

But on TB PF:K it's a bit much currently. But I guess you're right that once I get some AoE it'll get better. My team isn't really geared towards AoE though. I'm planning on running (keeping in mind I like to build off-kilter stuff...):

MC - Monster Tactician w. Fauchard
Harrim - Druid (maybe a monk level thrown in)
Jaethel - Sage Sorcerer with necromancer DC-stacking focus. Boneshaker looks p. delicious tbh
Rengongar - Eldritch Archer
Kanerah - Dreadful Carnage Hospitaler
Nok-nok - Unsure, though maybe Vivisectionist just because running unfair without an alchemist seems a little masochist

Delterius

Arcane
TBH Haplo is right. Make use of the toggle. Turn based can be much more fun, it adds weight to every small action you take. But that is as long as the fight isn't just 'wait until the damage dealers to their thing'. And if anything, when I get to, say, the Stag Lord at the end of Chapter 1 turning it into a turn based game adds gravitas to that 'boss fight'. You even get to really listen to the battle theme.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You have a full party. From a strategic perspective someone should take on the AoE responsibility.

I mean, nothing is stopping a necro-focused sorcerer from throwing in a fireball now and again ;)

Web + Spike Growth is also an option. Should be covered, no?

Just will never access to groundshaking AoE stuff. And once I get to the late-late game I'm gonna have to shake up the party anyways, I think. All those swarms ain't geared towards off-kilter builds, especially not on Unfair.

Desiderius

Patron
If you’re reloading it’s not a trash fight.

Turn down the difficulty or git gud. I mean if you’re attacking Reflex saves with first level spells on Leopards you have no business playing Unfair whether you make them hold still for you or not.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Autopause is one thing but you’ve never really taken a fight apart piece by piece until you’ve Zaprudered that shit with the V button.

Desiderius

Patron
If you’re reloading it’s not a trash fight.

By that logic the same fight can be a trash fight or not for the same person based on whether he rolls poorly or not :lol:

If you're relying on the RNG you already suck.

Of course if you're talking about ch 1 Unfair that's different, but then there are no trash fights there for anyone. Really for 99% of the playerbase there are no trash fights on Unfair at all because there is always the tradeoff of using per rest resources or not. Trash fights by definition take no attention or resources just time.

No Rest Vordokai.jpg

When you get to the point where you don't need to burn resources on regular fights your reward is a Kingdom running on all cylinders.

It's not trash fights people are complaining about - it's the amount of resources, attention, and risk it takes them to dispatch the fights which in other games are trash.

Welcome to post-faceroll gaming. It's great.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom