Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Wunderbar

Arcane
how fucked am i?
the game puts your kingdom management skills to a test in one of the later chapters, and if your stats aren't good, then you are pretty much fucked. You still have enough time to level them, but there would be no room for mistakes.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Is Varnhold's Lot worth picking up?

I got it. It starts right after the quests I need to wrap up so it felt like I needed it since I enjoy the game. Skipping the other DLC.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is Varnhold's Lot worth picking up?

I got it. It starts right after the quests I need to wrap up so it felt like I needed it since I enjoy the game. Skipping the other DLC.

Beneath the Stolen Land is pretty good too.
While played inside the main story it's not an endless procedural rogue-like shit, but a pretty cool 15-levels dungeon with some interesting encounters and decent loot.
So it's kind of classic dungeon crawling experience, Icewind Dale style.
And the final battle is one of the hardest in the game, especially as you can optionally fight
both the silver dragon and the spawn of Rovagug
at the same time.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That sounds like something I might pick up on sale but I needed this to feel like the story was complete when I beat it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Note there is some new feats/abilities for certain classes in the DLCs.
For example Feral Wings for Vivisectionists or Advanced Weapon Training options for Fighters.
Think those come with Varnhold however, so your should be fine.

And of course Kineticist classes and Tiefling races (which are very good for many builds). This is from the 1st DLC. Also the twins are cute :)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I'm not a huge Tiefling fan so I think I can skip her even though she looks cute. Maybe when it is on sale.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
So, ehm, i got this free on epic. I wanted to know how to make kingdom management as much relaxed as possible, i don't mind mechanics spoiler, sinc ethis part of the game doesn't interest me. I don't want to fail quests for time limit and some timed quests are already giving me anxiety (i'm in the spider cave at the beginnin gof the game right now). So how to play at relaxed pace without worrying about time limits and kingdom management?

Set ruler managed events to 1 day. Set Kingdom management to "Effortless" in game settings. Forget about that bullshit and enjoy the good parts of the game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/36

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Note there is some new feats/abilities for certain classes in the DLCs.
For example Feral Wings for Vivisectionists or Advanced Weapon Training options for Fighters.
Think those come with Varnhold however, so your should be fine.

And of course Kineticist classes and Tiefling races (which are very good for many builds). This is from the 1st DLC. Also the twins are cute :)
It's a bit unseemly that you can be a throuple with two demonic sisters. There are two romance options that involve multiple partners in the game and the other involves getting fucked in the ass by a chaotic evil orc. That I consider Kingmaker a wholesome experience (relative to Wrath) is a sign of the times.

naleth

Novice
This is an excellent game but I had trouble to finish it - it is just too long for its own good.

It was the first time when I have been playing pathfinder system and I was amazed by it. The options available during character creation and during each level up are excellent. The fights are interesting, the skills and spells are plenty and there is this great feeling that they give real impact on the fight and that they are really diverse. Also, I liked itemization which is rather rare in modern games that like to shower the player with random items +2% in one stat vs +3% in other stat. Kudos for Owlcat.

I even liked the dialogs and side missions, even though they seem to be the most controversial. But after 170h of playing (I played every fight turn based) I just started The Twice-Born Warlord act which seems to be like in the middle of the game (or am I mistaken?). It is ridiculous because finishing entire BG2 with ToB took me 190h and PF:K seems to be almost twice as long.

Right now PF:K belongs in my book to quite rare species of games that at the same time I couldn't finish but I still really enjoyed. It is a pity because I really like to finish games I have played and pathfinder system together with its implementation in the game is excellent. I hope that Owlcat will at some point release some game that is as strong mechanically but is more concise. Looking at the play times of PF:WofR it looks like unfortunately it is nowhere near being shorter.

Wunderbar

Arcane
But after 170h of playing (I played every fight turn based) I just started The Twice-Born Warlord act which seems to be like in the middle of the game (or am I mistaken
are you playing it exclusively in TB mode?

This is an excellent game but I had trouble to finish it - it is just too long for its own good.....

....But after 170h of playing (I played every fight turn based) I just started The Twice-Born Warlord act which seems to be like in the middle of the game (or am I mistaken?). /QUOTE]

This is about when I start to lose interest. It's my least favorite part of the game. It felt like pure filler to me.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
This is an excellent game but I had trouble to finish it - it is just too long for its own good.

I've spent a significant amount of time in this game and am yet to finish it. I want to move on from it now so I'm forcing myself to, but I know what you mean. I've often wondered why I abandon my playthroughs around level 13 - 14 to start again and I think what it comes down to is reinforcement.

In operant conditioning the removal of reinforcement is called extinction, and the end goal of extinction is the cessation of a given behaviour. In RPGs the most potent reinforcer is character progression - levelling up. Because of how much Kingmaker's level progression slows down after level 9 you're playing for days after that without levelling up at all. So you experience extinction of your desire to continue that playthrough. But the game is still awesome, so you return to the early game, starting a cool new build. Then you're levelling again, getting that reinforcement again.

I guess I should say "I", rather than "you" here, but I've heard from a lot of other people who have put a lot of time into this game and never finished it and I think this is why.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, the pacing is a little off. A lot of the time spent is for useless crap like camping, travel and dialogue cutscenes too.
Do I have to watch the camping sequence every time? Do my characters have to move that slowly on both the world map and the area map? Why isn't there a bloody fast forward button?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The strongest reinforcement for me is the story and exploration. Level ups are rare in the late game anyway.

However, even here most of the players are hell bent on removing the Kingdom Management, thus shortening exactly those two aspects.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
To be fair, the kingdom management part does have some questionable design choices behind it that conflict with other parts of the game.
- Game has a time limit
- You need to quickly explore and finish quests
- You also need to return to capital every couple of weeks to solve problems, thus wasting time and stopping you from finishing the quests

-You need to rank up your stats or else the kingdom will fall
- Ranking up takes up two weeks of your time because apparently ranking up the kingdom forces you into a stasis chamber that you can't leave from, meaning that once the two weeks are up a lot of bullshit has occurred without you knowing about it.
-Did I mention there's a time limit?

-You need to use advisors
-You have few candidates for advisors.
-These candidates can only do very specific jobs for...reasons.
-The game will take them away from your as part of the main quest line, meaning that will now have no advisor for a particular role, and no one to fill it because despite having 6 idle candidates, none of them want the job. For reasons.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom