Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah Leopard AC is fucking nuts for the hardest part of the game (early).

Well, hardest unless you use my mods!
You mean the builds?
No I mean the mod list I suggest using
Never seen that list, sorry! Can you link it?
I wouldn’t use mods (other than a buff manager) until you get a good feel for the base game.
I wasn't gonna use it. I wanted to be kind and look interested!

I love to lose because I'm bad at games.
Haha. I appreciate the interest, it's true that the mods do alter the experience but not so much that it becomes a different game or anything - in my opinion they only add to the enjoyment. Especially the buff mod, good lord.

Litmanen

Educated

You mean the builds?
I wouldn’t use mods (other than a buff manager) until you get a good feel for the base game.

Haha. I appreciate the interest, it's true that the mods do alter the experience but not so much that it becomes a different game or anything - in my opinion they only add to the enjoyment. Especially the buff mod, good lord.
And I've appreciated your help. But I'm sure that your mods go along well with your builds, that help to have a strong character (and group).

Me... I've chosen an Inquisitor. That should already tell you I don't know how to properly have overpowered characters. More, also in live session, I never never never know what will happen next to my champion: never planned a talent, skill, perk, combat ability in order to obtain something in 3/4 levels. I usually follow the feelings and in the end I have very underpowered champions who do stupid but funny stuff.

Oh, and tactically I'm WEAK!

So, I think the hardcore difficulty will be a good challenge for me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Also inquisitors are fucking insane. I finished my unfair run with an inquisitor archetype that doesn’t have access to their most powerful abilities

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Play inquisitors like traditional paladins. High level doesn't mean much unless you are a sacred huntmaster and want your level 20 pet, and even then, 16 levels of inquisitor is enough. Use the free levels to up your BAB. I completed my one and only run with a sacred huntmaster 16/paladin 2/stalker 2, IIRC. BAB 16, level 20 pet, Heal spell, uses the longbow, usually, but switched to that crazy heavy flail that give -1ac and saves for every hit for the spawn of whatzis.

Yosharian

Arcane

You mean the builds?

And I've appreciated your help. But I'm sure that your mods go along well with your builds, that help to have a strong character (and group).

Me... I've chosen an Inquisitor. That should already tell you I don't know how to properly have overpowered characters. More, also in live session, I never never never know what will happen next to my champion: never planned a talent, skill, perk, combat ability in order to obtain something in 3/4 levels. I usually follow the feelings and in the end I have very underpowered champions who do stupid but funny stuff.

Oh, and tactically I'm WEAK!

So, I think the hardcore difficulty will be a good challenge for me.
Inquisitor is pretty decent, you'll do fine I think

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Leopard will naturally have high Mobility so you may want to put pts in it every level up to pass Mobility checks for your team.
Pets level up on auto in unmodded Kingmaker, Desi :) You can't choose where their skill points will go.
Why can't you all be like Daidre?

When she pwns my weak shit she's always *right*!

Desiderius

Patron
The thing about Huntmaster in particular is that you share your teamwork feats with your pet and since ranged teamwork feats weren't implemented you're pretty much priced into melee.

Definitely want Outflank which incentivises using a weapon with a wide crit range and eventually picking up Improved Critical Feat to double it. Tandem Trip is nice for your Leopard so you can put the Trip Cloak on your main and take the Trip line feats.

You won't be super tanky yourself but need to be near your pet to get the most out of these. Let the Leopard tank and stand behind it once it has aggro. By midgame Divine Favor/Power and Bane Weapon will really up your offensive output.

Other key spells for Inquisitor:

Expeditious Retreat (other Divine casters don't get this)
Castigate (like Hold Person but can target anything, apllies Shaken even on made save)
See Invis, Communal (combined with your Perception bonus you'll be able to detect almost anything)
Prayer (until your offense comes in lets you free up Cleric to cast something else)
Resist Energy/Delay Poison Communal (free up spell slots for Cleric)
Burst of Glory (temp HP are good action econ, stacking AoE bonus)
Restoration
Divine Power (turns on your offense, scales up to +6/+6)
Castigate, Mass (great vs ambushes where you don't have a chance to get buffs up)
Righteous Might (not as good as Frightful Presence, but Inq doesn't get that)
Chains of Light (unaffected by Spell Resistance)
Dispel Magic, Greater
Inspiring Recovery

Desiderius

Patron
Firing this bad boy up for the first time in years to double check Sacred Huntmaster info and damn.

Really was a helluva game.

NotSweeper

Educated
Really was a helluva game.
I've been recently mulling over whether PFKM is as good as my initial assessment of it. I did basically stop my playthrough after dealing with Armag. It's extremely flawed in the sense that it's just simply too long and by chapter 5 I was like "can we just finish this already."
Then I ran into this little gem randomly on youtube.

Doubt is for faggots. PFKM IS one of the greatest RPGs to ever be created, and fuck anyone who says otherwise.
I'm starting a new playthrough.

Litmanen

Educated
Hi guys, so, I'm doing my first (and surely last, I never replay a game, sorry) playthrough.

I have just advanced to the third level and thinking to bi-class Jaethal because with my Leopard (I'm an Inquisitor), Amiri and Valerie, I feel she isn't THAT necessary in the front line. But, with her abilities she is not that "necessary" also in the back line.

Now, it would be easy to go on the web and look for builds, but it's something I don't like to do. I don't want to make her perfect. I want to make her my way.

And so, now we come to the true problem: I have never understood bi-classing. Never done that in my life and I play RPGs, D&D and Pathfinder since 23 years, more or less.

How does it work? I mean: beside being a sociopath and know the rules by heart so that you can precisely know when and how to byclass a character - and I'm not - how could I help myself in this situation?

I was thinking to make her a Sorcerer or a Wizard (since I don't have true badass damage dealing magic in my group). Or maybe a Magus or a Kineticist or Alchemist just because I like their names. Better BEFORE or AFTER she leveled the third level? (I think it's better after 'cause now she is picking the solo tactics feat that is honestly amazing)

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Hi guys, so, I'm doing my first (and surely last, I never replay a game, sorry) playthrough.

I have just advanced to the third level and thinking to bi-class Jaethal because with my Leopard (I'm an Inquisitor), Amiri and Valerie, I feel she isn't THAT necessary in the front line. But, with her abilities she is not that "necessary" also in the back line.

Now, it would be easy to go on the web and look for builds, but it's something I don't like to do. I don't want to make her perfect. I want to make her my way.

And so, now we come to the true problem: I have never understood bi-classing. Never done that in my life and I play RPGs, D&D and Pathfinder since 23 years, more or less.

How does it work? I mean: beside being a sociopath and know the rules by heart so that you can precisely know when and how to byclass a character - and I'm not - how could I help myself in this situation?

I was thinking to make her a Sorcerer or a Wizard (since I don't have true badass damage dealing magic in my group). Or maybe a Magus or a Kineticist or Alchemist just because I like their names. Better BEFORE or AFTER she leveled the third level? (I think it's better after 'cause now she is picking the solo tactics feat that is honestly amazing)
You're going to get more companions than you can fit in one group. Since your MC is an Inquisitor Jae is going to duplicate a lot of things you bring to the table so may not be a great fit for your team.

That said *do not* multiclass her. *Everything* in base Inquisitor gets better with class levels and she'll be very strong by midgame as a pure Inquisitor.

Litmanen

Educated
You're going to get more companions than you can fit in one group. Since your MC is an Inquisitor Jae is going to duplicate a lot of things you bring to the table so may not be a great fit for your team.

That said *do not* multiclass her. *Everything* in base Inquisitor gets better with class levels and she'll be very strong by midgame as a pure Inquisitor.
Yeah, but since I'll be the Inquisitor anyway, I was thinking about multiclassing her to have a bit of variability.

"I refuse to look up advice on builds but give me some advice on this build please"
Come on, it's different and you know it. To go and look for made up builds, from level 1 to level 30, intended to be "game-breaking" since they use the rules' weaknesses, is one thing (and I'm not talking about your builds, I haven't seen them).

To ask: "look, I know nothing about multiclassing but would like to do it by myself, even if shitty (because, be sure, I will multiclass that bitch). So: what are general <rules> about multiclassing and then I will manage it at the best of my stupid ideas?"

It's completely different.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

She starts at Level 1. You either choose to go along with Inquisitor Levels and just have a duplicate or you can Multi-class her since level 2. As Desi said she is still a pretty strong character in general as a full Inquisitor, but if you are not looking to replay the game and want to bring her AND don't want to overlap with your MC then just do it at Level 2. She has decent WIS, STR. If you are going to multi for Martial you can probably postpone it until Level 5 to get Bane? Not sure if its worth it. Your Divine Favor will also be +2 at Level 4 which for important fight will negate the 3/4 BAB when you go for 5 Level in Inquisitor.

Considering she has 16 WIS and the basegame doesn't have Druid companion and she has Neutral alignment, you can probably go for Druid just for novelty. Missing one level sucks a lot as a Druid though but it's not unplayable. Your Animal Companion will be 1 level lower unless you burn a Feat for it. Or alternatively you can go for Domain although I am pretty sure taking animal companion is still better

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Inquisitor should stay pure mostly imo

Same for Wizard or Sorc

Yeah they are best as pure class. That being said if the guy REALLY REALLY don't want to have overlap picking Fighter/Ranger at Level 5 or going Druid at Level 2 is probably the best for Jaethal?

Litmanen

Educated

She starts at Level 1. You either choose to go along with Inquisitor Levels and just have a duplicate or you can Multi-class her since level 2. As Desi said she is still a pretty strong character in general as a full Inquisitor, but if you are not looking to replay the game and want to bring her AND don't want to overlap with your MC then just do it at Level 2. She has decent WIS, STR. If you are going to multi for Martial you can probably postpone it until Level 5 to get Bane? Not sure if its worth it. Your Divine Favor will also be +2 at Level 4 which for important fight will negate the 3/4 BAB when you go for 5 Level in Inquisitor.

Considering she has 16 WIS and the basegame doesn't have Druid companion and she has Neutral alignment, you can probably go for Druid just for novelty. Missing one level sucks a lot as a Druid though but it's not unplayable. Your Animal Companion will be 1 level lower unless you burn a Feat for it. Or alternatively you can go for Domain although I am pretty sure taking animal companion is still better
To make her a druid was another idea. I don't think to make her a melee fighter, anyway. For that, I have already "plenty" of them. I was more looking for a "crowd controller", maybe?

Same for Wizard or Sorc
Mine will stay pure. But ssince now I need something different for my party, I'm thinking to multiclass her. Then, I can replace her with something more useful, why not?

Same for Wizard or Sorc

Yeah they are best as pure class. That being said if the guy REALLY REALLY don't want to have overlap picking Fighter/Ranger at Level 5 or going Druid at Level 2 is probably the best for Jaethal?
Let's say I'm not looking at what is "best for her" but what is best for my party at the moment, since sometimes I really struggle not having "area spells".

Yosharian

Arcane

To make her a druid was another idea. I don't think to make her a melee fighter, anyway. For that, I have already "plenty" of them. I was more looking for a "crowd controller", maybe?

Same for Wizard or Sorc
Mine will stay pure. But ssince now I need something different for my party, I'm thinking to multiclass her. Then, I can replace her with something more useful, why not?

Same for Wizard or Sorc

Let's say I'm not looking at what is "best for her" but what is best for my party at the moment, since sometimes I really struggle not having "area spells".
Just use the respec mod already

Litmanen

Educated

Same for Wizard or Sorc

Same for Wizard or Sorc

Just use the respec mod already
Naaaaaaaaah. Never respecced in my whole life!

You make choices = you pay them.

That's why also for the builds I'm asking for suggestions but then I will do "my way". Because right or wrong, it will be funny to play "paying" your choices like you do in a true D&D session.

Litmanen

Educated
Respec mod 4 life. 90% of the appeal of these games is build porn, why limit yourself to buildporning one character
Because I don't find the buildporning.... porn.

I understand that for some this can be (a big) part of it, but it's not a part of the fun for me.
I love to overcome challanges, I love to make choices and then pay (or be rewarded by) them. I love to explore.

Mostly, I think that my "problem" is that I love to play making mistakes. Not because I love to be wrong, but I love to do things how I feel them at the moments.

So, in the case of Jaethal, probably I will make her a Wizard or a Druid and I will not optimize whatever, not "on purpose" but because it was the best I can do in that moment.

And then to play with a /very probably) shitty character, for me it's the big part of the fun. Because I have to overcome challanges with what I have/I am. And if I repeat a fight 10 times, when I win it it wholesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom