Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter Update #74: Turn-Based Mode Beta

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The Definitive Edition of Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be out next month, but you won't have to wait that long to try out the new turn-base combat mode. Owlcat have decided to release it as a beta update on Steam. The new Kickstarter update has the details on how to install it.

[​IMG]

Pathfinders,

It is less than a month until the release of Pathfinder: Kingmaker Definitive Edition for PC and consoles. With this update comes turn-based mode and a number of fixes. In preparation for this, we are launching a beta for 2.1! In this test, you will be able to play in the turn-based mode. We have put a lot of work into it and now we are ready to present it to you. We hope that you will love it and share your thoughts about it.

If you find any bugs you can report them using the in-game bug report feature by pressing F11. You can use the same tool to provide feedback to us - just choose the “Suggestion” option under the text window.

You can find how to join the beta-test here.

Patch notes are here.
    The rest of the update looks pretty decent too.

• incline x 9
    • Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    And why are they doing this? To get people interested in WotR?

First of all, TB/RTwP isnt a major problem in PFK, the kingdom management and other feature bloat is. Secondly, while I prefer TB you cant just graft it onto the game and expect everything to work, the game just wasn't intended to be played that way.

• Disagree x 8
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Terra Learned

Terra
    Console release is soon, TB will almost definitely be easier to digest via a controller than RTwP. That's the real reason it's getting added.

• Agree x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • incline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Pillars of Eternity 2 plays much better in TB mode than RTwP.

• Agree x 9
    • Disagree x 3
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Erikkolai Learned

Erikkolai
    I hope they'll let us rotate buildings before placing them in the city builder. Hopelessly optimistic perhaps...

So many otherwise perfect layouts have been ruined because I haven't been able to rotate the 2-field wide buildings like the Courthouse or Park (they only adjust themselves if placed on 2 isolated squares away from the main grids).

:negative:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    Because the turn-based MOD was an absurd/huge success and people didn't shut up about it in every forum, Steam, Reddit, anywhere.

• Yes x 10
    • incline x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Pink Eye Monk

Pink Eye
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Look at these awesome changes for monk!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The biggest one is
    >Monks can now correctly activate two style strikes after level 15.
    This essentially means that you can now go hammerblow + defensive spin. Or leg sweep + defensive spin. Really anything with defensive spin, since defensive spin is broken and works regardless if you have a weapon equipped.

• incline incline x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I ignored this game due to being RTwP. Is this game good? Is it worthwhile for someone who heavily prefers turn-based?

• Yes x 11
    • No x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Pink Eye Monk

Pink Eye
    I'd say so. Pathfinder: Kingmaker Turn Based Mod is not as good compared to the tactical goodness of Chalice 2. However it's fine for what is. Just don't go in expecting the AI to be good, as the AI is quite stupid and makes questionable mistakes all the time. Furthermore, unlike Chalice 2, Kingmaker has a lot of encounters that are very easy. Basically a lot of trash encounters. The encounter design varies in quality in Kingmaker. You can get some really good encounters that make you go wow. Then you get some really bad encounters that make you question why the developers even bothered. But if you're looking for deep system in which you can craft your own builds and have them tested, then Kingmaker is that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. The Avatar Learned

The Avatar
    If its anything like Deadfire turn-based mode, this is going to get old fast. There's just too many encounters in Kingmaker, and its just going to take way too long to slog through them in turn-based.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    you can turn it on and off at will

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Actually, it was. Pathfinder is based on a table-top roleplaying system which came into existence out of OGL dnd, both of which ARE meant to be played in TB.

• Yes x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dr Schultz Savant

Dr Schultz
    I can't help but think that slapping a TB mode on top of a RTwP encounter design/A.I. is a perfect recipe for a disaster.
    On the other hand, given that in PF the TB mode can be turned on/off at will, theoretically, a smart player could breath trough the trash encounters in RtwP and opt for the TB mode during the more demanding fights.
    This COULD actually work.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    • The Reduce Person spell was affected by Spell Resistance. Resolution: fixed.
    • The True Seeing spell was affected by Spell Resistance. Resolution: fixed.
    Finally!

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Hedge Wizard Totally not Auraculum

Hedge Wizard
    Could anyone with access to the beta confirm whether or not the UI for the PC version was also changed?

^ Top  
  16. Goldschmidt Educated

Goldschmidt
    The codex will now jerk their penises really hard now as soon as tb is in

• butthurt x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    As if I ever needed a special reason to do that!

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Imagine how long it will take to go through all those shit encounters with turn based mode... Adding this to the game without completely redesigning the combat encounters is just as stupid as when Pillars of Eternity did it.

• Brofist x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Thonius Prophet

Thonius
    Recently replayed it with TB mode. I would say it's similar time due to less reloads due to less chaos. No more reloads because you webbed your own guys and shit like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    The length of my playthroughs with the turn based mod is comparable to those without it. You lose some time micro-managing every action, but you also gain some thanks to a more efficient use of your abilities.

The first time I installed the mod I intended to use the TB mode for hard encounters and boss fights and the RTwP one for mundane encounters, but I ended up playing through the entire game with the TB mode on because it's just so much more fun to me and it really doesn't require more time. However, this was true for the mod because it had some very useful options to speed up animations and I don't know if the official mode will include something similar.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lagole Gon Arcane Patron

Lagole Gon
    I'm trying to come up with a witty shitpost about Bartholomew being bugged in completeley new turn-based ways!

^ Top  
  22. Hedge Wizard Totally not Auraculum

Hedge Wizard
    They should've also go with the punch and implement, officially, their own version of the "Call of the Wild" mod - especially since the creator has also included traits, as well as the ability for any class to choose a god (which is a big deal, since the deity you choose does add some unique dialogue options).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Acrux Novice

Acrux
    The TB mod is so feature rich, I really doubt that Owlcat's version will have most of the options available in the mod.

^ Top  
  24. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    :what:
    What the fuck, 20 gigs for the update.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    10 of them are bugged and will be patched out immediately, just you wait and see.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.