Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker now on Kickstarter

gallandr0

Novice
Patron
What is with the multiple typos and broken english in the graphics with baked in typing?
7870e119735c437f406273e7880997a1_original.jpg

sstacks

Arcane
*rewrites headline as "To the shock of no one, Pathmaker Kingfinder is on Kickstarter"

They may need the money for expanded gameplay, but note that the game will be made either way. A lot of this is for PR, which bugs me when KS is used that way... it crowds out projects that can't get made without KS.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Despite the quick depletion of the Early Bird tiers, the campaign doesn't seem to be exactly booming. Maybe after the mainstream press has noticed.
It is not doing worse than Gollop's Phoenix Whatever kickstarter and they managed to fund their game as well. The kickstarter is almost at 150K already, they will manage it.

Just how involved is MCA in this project exactly? Is he just writing 2 companions and some quests or is he actually doing something substantial this time around?
Well being a narrative director implies that he is coordinating everything which is about story and narrative.

Is he blind? :|

YplYp2a.png
no he is high as fuck on opiates

edit: Okay I don't know it for a fact obviously, its just an educated guess.

Also I could give a fuck- I don't care what people do with their own bodies, and I believe drugs should be legal. I am even am opposed to most prescription laws, so its not a moral statement on my part to make the guess I made.

I wish the guy well, and will be buying the game. I think it is likely to be more fun the PoE because of the combat. I hope the other kingmaker stuff is fun, although I don't have high hopes for it. As long as the combat is good and the itemization decent, I think the game could be one of the better if kickstarter RPG's, not that it is much of a contest. Anything more than that and I will be very happy.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I said this won't get to 2 million but as it is even 1 million is too much.

lul, seems like not even Avellone can help when you're selling Generic: The Sunday Morning Cartoon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
*rewrites headline as "To the shock of no one, Pathmaker Kingfinder is on Kickstarter"

They may need the money for expanded gameplay, but note that the game will be made either way. A lot of this is for PR, which bugs me when KS is used that way... it crowds out projects that can't get made without KS.
I wonder if you said that during D:OS2 KS or Shadowrun:HK KS or Battletech KS...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
0998a2e5113db2f613e7315605495d75_original.gif

That isometric looks an awful lot like Baldur's Gate (with PoE interface). Too similar, in fact. I suspect I am being baited. I mean look at those 'move here' marks on the ground. Seeing those makes me want to roam The Sword Coast again right now!

Btw, do we have any kickstarted adventure or rpg so far that didn't end up as a either a massive disappointment or vaporware?

Shadowrun Returns and (especially) Dragonfall were good.
D:OS is awesome, even though the story is pretty bad. I suggest playing it in co-op, where the story does not matter that much.
I have not played Thimbleweed Park, but all opinions I have seen (and that I trust) have been positive.
Pillars of Eternity has only been disappointing for me due to massive expectations - it is a decent game overall (I am yet to play The White march, supposedly it is better than the original campaign).
Also, Undertale. :troll:

D:OS 2 and Banner Saga 3 used Kickstarter for PR reasons too. Since Kickstarter allows it, I do not see a reason why people would not use the platform this way.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That isometric looks an awful lot like Baldur's Gate (with PoE interface). Too similar, in fact. I suspect I am being baited. I mean look at those 'move here' marks on the ground. Seeing those makes me want to roam The Sword Coast again right now!
Yes it does look a lot like BG which is probably what they were aiming for. And in KS comments they said the camera is fixed (like IE games).
Also in that gif you can notice how the group does not move like robots (a tiny complaint PoE received by some people here).

Backed, in hopes of a fun game with interesting mechanics.

It's RTwP, but at least we can hope for the former. I liked 3.5 edition rules, so I'm hopeful that it'll at least feel a bit like Pathfinder. $25 for about 40 hours of moderate entertainment is a risk I'm willing to take.

I find the kingdom management intriguing, and I hope it's done right, and not merely as a gimmick as seen in other games *coughPoE*

I prefer TB of course, but I can overlook that if the other aspects of the game are strong. I did with BG etc.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
the story and quests have been expanded by RPG writer Chris Avellone

Having MCA write a couple of npcs and quests isn't enough to save a game, as POE has shown well enough. A game where he was lead designer or at least lead writer would be a different story.

This isn't the same situation. By "expanding story and quests", they don't mean that he's adding some of his writing to a CRPG primarily written by other CRPG writers. He's expanding the PnP module that they're adapting, apparently as the lead writer.

I don't think it's sunk in with some people that this is a PnP module adaptation. It's like if Avellone was the lead writer for TTOEE.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
I don't think it's sunk in with some people that this is a PnP module adaptation. It's like if Avellone was the lead writer for TTOEE.

That was the main reason that game failed unfortunately. Modules are not easy to translate into a computer game.

Deleted member 7219

Btw, do we have any kickstarted adventure or rpg so far that didn't end up as a either a massive disappointment or vaporware?

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun: Dragonfall (spun out of a DLC for a Kickstarter RPG, so it counts)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
The Banner Saga
Divinity: Original Sin

Grim Dawn was well received by ARPG fans. Also, think Broken Sword 5 was well received by fans after both parts were released but I haven't played it.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun: Dragonfall (spun out of a DLC for a Kickstarter RPG, so it counts)
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
The Banner Saga
Divinity: Original Sin

Grim Dawn was well received by ARPG fans. Also, think Broken Sword 5 was well received by fans after both parts were released but I haven't played it.

:prosper:

Fireblade

Erudite

Underrail or Grimrock weren't crowd-funded so no, I'm afraid not. KS is just a nest of superficial mediocrity and naive optimism.
Underrail opened up pre-orders 3 years in advance of release, to raise funds. Pretty much the same thing as crowd-funding in practice, although it was more of a D:OS/D:OS2 style situation where the game was going to happen either way, just enabled improvements. Obviously it wasn't on KS specifically, though.

Rev

Arcane
I said this won't get to 2 million but as it is even 1 million is too much.

lul, seems like not even Avellone can help when you're selling Generic: The Sunday Morning Cartoon.
Avellone has been on so many campaigns and games, and about half of those were lackluster (WL2, T:ToN, BG: SoD), that his presence doesn't mean very much today, so of course his name alone won't sell this game.

It will reach at least its initial goal anyway, but I don't think it will get much more than that (maybe 700-800k).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That isometric looks an awful lot like Baldur's Gate (with PoE interface). Too similar, in fact. I suspect I am being baited. I mean look at those 'move here' marks on the ground.

They're blatantly capitalizing off nostalgia. And that PoE interface is pure cancer. Enough signals for me to forget about this game.

Dyspaire

Cipher
If there was a steady stream of IE-ish games that had tolerable combat (yes, even a decent RTwP system will do), that used long-established rule-systems and attempted to let me play through some good stories in familiar and comfortable settings, that would be just fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom