Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

hexer

Oh thank god it's not retarded! Glad that was sorted

Also, is there a way to access Kingdom manager if you are on the road? I assume you don't have to trudge all the way back to town but I might be wrong

You can, an icon of Kingdom pops up in lower right corner when you're inside the borders of your kingdom.
But you can't skip days unless you're in the capital city.

My friend is playing as a Chaotic Evil character, and there are some pretty interesting changes to the kingdom
The king's bust in the center of the city is replaced by gallows

people getting tied up on wooden posts or just straight up crucified

Guards replaced by thugs collecting taxes from citizens

Hehe, yes! They increase Stability by +1 so my towns usually have 3 or 4 of those :lol:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ekun quit my party entirely. Good riddance, I don't need another animal companion (I actually am not happy about that at all, what a dick)

I feel stupid for asking this question, but I just got into the kingdom building interface and did some tasks, etc. However, I seem to not see the option to build any buildings - do I need a specific advisor? I haven't got a treasurer yet.

Codex Year of the Donut
I feel stupid for asking this question, but I just got into the kingdom building interface and did some tasks, etc. However, I seem to not see the option to build any buildings - do I need a specific advisor? I haven't got a treasurer yet.
while in the kingdom building interface click on your town, you'll get the option to 'enter' it(vague, I know.) Click it.

Suicidal

Arcane
I think this game would have been significantly improved if they went the IWD/ToEE way and just gave you full party creation at the start. The character creation is very good with so many options and opportunities to make weird shit. But the you start meeting your companions and they're a generic standard bard, generic standard barbarian, generic standard cleric, wow so exciti- zzZzzZz. Not to mention that some of them have bad stats for their job (like the 14 STR barbarian, what the fuck is this shit).

Codex Year of the Donut
I think this game would have been significantly improved if they went the IWD/ToEE way and just gave you full party creation at the start. The character creation is very good with so many options and opportunities to make weird shit. But the you start meeting your companions and they're a generic standard bard, generic standard barbarian, generic standard cleric, wow so exciti- zzZzzZz. Not to mention that some of them have bad stats for their job (like the 14 STR barbarian, what the fuck is this shit).
It's weird, some of the companions have excellent stats(e.g., Jubilost) while others are trash.
They should have just let you pick their stats/etc., when they join your party.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
you say she's a standard bard but actually she has crap stats and is specialized in goddamn crossbows

Clink

Educated
Well, just curious - so what is the general agreement for the time being? Is it worth to buy it and play it right now or is it better to wait until they have fixed all their bugs?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bah, character creation/progression is so good, I think I’m going to start over and reroll with a better build now that I’ve got a better feel for the game. I know the companions are suboptimal, but you can always multiclass them. Wondering if I should make an elven magus—trading that extra feat for the magic bonuses may be worth it. Plus, an elven sword saint can use the starting rapier even if I focus on something better like an estoc. OTOH, elven sword saint can’t start with fencing grace like a human sword saint. I’m torn.

A lot of people have been dismissive of much of the writing, and it’s definitely somewhat inconsistent, but a lot of it is pretty good. I thought the whole sequence with the Stag Lord’s childhood hut was great, for example. Love the voice acting for the nature spirit lady—one of the few times I listen rather than read. Really liked just about everything with the bandits and the technic league and the kobolds.

The companions can be pretty hit or miss, but the story and the quests are pretty engaging. While I wasn’t expecting lots of great C&C, I’ve been very pleasantly surprised. You can tell that Owlcat took MCA’s advice seriously on branching narrative design. As much as I love anything written by Chris Avellone I think this high level consulting stuff is a fabulous use of his talents, at least when the developers take him seriously. Of course, it helps when the actual developers are really good and really committed to replicating the feel of pen and paper as much as they can.

Question: I grabbed Harrim in the ancient tomb, but I wanted Jaethal. However, at the start of the fight, she didn’t actually join my party, she just jumped into battle and quickly died because I couldn’t level her up. Has anyone else had this issue? I didn’t want to waste my rez scroll so I reloaded and picked the dwarf.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Well, just curious - so what is the general agreement for the time being? Is it worth to buy it and play it right now or is it better to wait until they have fixed all their bugs?

You can buy it now and get a feel for character creation and the early areas, to know what kind of character you really want, if you are a notorious re-roller like me and many others here. But I would wait for awhile for patches before going to deep in the game as it seems there is a fair bit to be fixed.

On the other hand they may do a tactical nuke on the difficulty to please the drooling masses, so maybe now is the time if you want the pure incline experience...

I think writing shines in random notes and other small inconsequential bits, like the fisherman's story in that silverlake village.

Also, stack up on rations before going into the Valley of the Dead, dungeon there is a meat grinder and you can't go back till you finish it.

Btw, encountered another bug, mild spoilers so beware:

Amiri's companion quest Blood Calling, she needs to check out on her lady friend, but I didn't find her during the assault and when the main quest progressed further I couldn't get back to the camp. So essentially Amiri is stuck in limbo now, she's absent from capital and unreachable on the map.

And another bug, regarding the scripted rails nonsense, after Valley of the Dead, you'll be prompted to check out Candlemere Tower again (among other things). Well, don't. Go to the Inconsequent Debates first. Otherwise you'll just waste time and nothing will happen (thankfully it's not gamebreaking, just annoying af)

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur
Party members should always have more or less the "recommended" stats, like what a DM would pick for an experienced player. I'm mostly talking about Jeanne d'Arc here, but Amiri isn't that much better. Or anyone else.
It's trying to do the Baldur's Gate thing, I guess, where you had characters with really wonky stats. Well guess what, Coran is a fighter with 14 strength and 12 constitution, because he has 20 dexterity to make for it by being the best bowman in the game with Kivan. Kagain is a "tanky" fighter with 20 constitution, but he's easily hit since he only has 12 dexterity, which you can rectify with the 18 dex gauntlets that drop at the very start of the game. NWN games actually addressed this problem and made the companions pretty good.
If you really want to add flavor, a fighter with 7 points worth of charisma with a gimped strength and barely any dexterity is not the way to do it, when she really has nothing else to compensate it with. Durhh she can take hits with her shield real good. And she can't be made into a paladin. What's left is making her a druid, and accepting that one lost level?

But that doesn't fix her problem, not really, which is that every D&D game needs a strong warrior character, hopefully more. I don't think I'm talking out of my ass. Baldur's Gate has Minsc, Kivan, Ajantis. Baldur's Gate 2 has Minsc, Keldorn, Anomen, Korgan, Valygar. NWN has Daelan. NWN 2 has Khelgar. MotB has Okku. Here we have a fighter and a barbarian that quite literally cannot hit a goblin.

Valtiel

Scholar
Want so much to play this but i've been burned by deadfire launch state with its non existing difficulty, see you again when most patches are out.

Wonder if JES is playing this

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They changed Amiri's stats around (from her iconic character sheet) for some reason.

They swapped her racial str bonus onto con and gave her toughness instead of power attack. I guess to make her more tanky?

Codex Year of the Donut
They changed Amiri's stats around (from her iconic character sheet) for some reason.

They swapped her racial str bonus onto con and gave her toughness instead of power attack. I guess to make her more tanky?
That makes her even worse. They should just make her default weapon have a 6ft range.

bataille

Arcane
Does it have a progressive agenda? I was kinda worried about the companions.

Is the encounter design carefully considered or is it "place a bunch of enemies together"? Are there respawning enemies?

Might consider this after I know the answer to those questions.

The good thing about some 'progressive agenda' in the game is that it isn't treated as the central moral axis; it's merely a choice that the devs propose you make. So there are a few companions who are promiscuous (both are chaotic, mind you), and you have the option to rudely (as well as politely, of course) reject their advances. Roleplay all the way!

Besides, I don't think that Octavia's and Regongar's writing comes from the same place as western devs' (e.g. dragon age), seeing how the companions cover the whole spectrum or different temperaments, moral codices, etc. Just remember the elf from DA:O. Unlike that one, you can threat Regongar to punch him in the face for making sexual advances, lmao. The DA:O elf was an obvious statement a la "you better like this, bigot!"

Ravn7

Educated

I would definitely prefer to set companion's stats myself. For the sake of the story and consistency some companions could have their class set from the beginning (or a limited choice like in PoE2) but the rest should be up to the player.

And that should be the standard these days.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
The PoE2 style of having a couple selectable class/dualclass things was a clever way of having premade characters with flavor, while not trapping you into having to play a specific type of hero yourself to support the gaps there.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I would definitely prefer to set companion's stats myself. For the sake of the story and consistency some companions could have their class set from the beginning (or a limited choice like in PoE2) but the rest should be up to the player.

And that should be the standard these days.

Generally I agree, though it makes sense for iconic characters to have fixed stats, as they tend to be representative of a particular class build or design.

Iconic Amiri is pretty much a standard barbarian built for hitting things hard, which goes well with her taste for oversized weapons.

I don't really get why Owlcat changed her starting build around. Other than I guess to make sure players were guaranteed a more tanky martial at the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom