Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Does it have a progressive agenda? I was kinda worried about the companions.

Is the encounter design carefully considered or is it "place a bunch of enemies together"? Are there respawning enemies?

Might consider this after I know the answer to those questions.
Progressive agenda - yes, a little. The first two strong frontline combatants NPC you meet in the game are two stronk wahmen. There is literally cuckoldry being defended by one character, and so on. But it's not as bad as it sounds - as in, there is not too much of it so it's bearable. But YMMV.

And here I thought the snowflakes on the forum finally started taking their daily valium to ease their anxiety about inevitable sjw end of the world.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What about cooking? I don't see a skill like that, so I assign my char to do it and he fails 50% of the times. And it feels like there's no healing happening when that happens (I'm talking about healing due to resting, not casting).
press "manage" lol. remove all chars from their roles and pick one, you will see what affects what. cooking is Knowledge: World

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The difficulty spikes are off.
79EA384A5D7977101093EA5A3EEABA7A421ACFDF

It took me 3 minutes to kill this bitch. All party members are permanently blind (4 of them actually). AC37 *sigh*

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I move the timer to 8 hours and it says "spells are recovered" and "your party will not rest". Afterwards, I don't have my spells. I try resting for 9, same thing.

REEEEEEEEEEE.

This game is extremely unintuitive.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
most of the healing from resting comes from healing spells, so sleeping in the wilderness for a long time is actually worse than sleeping two times for a short amount of time. baldur's gate just assumed you'd be using your spells every time they recharged, but in their infinite wisdom owlcat made it so they just cast any spells you have left when you go to bed; if you have non left, you're resting and healing solely from normal recovery.
I didn't played DnD game where they didn't use spells on rest for a while. (At worst they added option in menu, if you wanted auto cast them, but they typically enabled it by default.)

On the other hand last time I was small enough to actually try to rest after majority of combats and recover all spells was BG I, and IWD. They were countering that by spawning random low XP worthy opponents.
PnP core equivalent would be so easy though... I'm not sure how well the game is going to hold up if you trivialize the combat.

They could just add normal mobs. Not give every joe bandit extra PC class levels, free feats, and stat buffs. Seriously, I don't know if the devs didn't understand this or they didn't care, but random jaggoff minions are not supposed to have PC levels.
That's what smart GM would do. (or at least average GM) Obviously, trying two weeks to make decent PnP adventure, writing a lot of text and trying to create decent settings, just as a training to get avoid major pitfalls. Looks like they didn't bothered. Rememember when writing proper adventure, you need to remember some ecosystems and how they whole world is working. For example know common enemies in area, and how dangerous some roads are. Including ecology, and ecosystems. And also politics and economy. And think about how in real situation some rules like that rule about flat-footness actually work.

Well, it's not that difficult. "And at road you randomly encounter group of kobolts walking towards raid." "What's a size of normal kobolt raiding party?" 1. competent GM: "about 10, but they don't wanna to risk stuff they are moving to bigger target, so they asked only for 10 g. Thought it irks some of theirs group because you look like easy target." A group which is kept in poverty screams loudly. Paying kobolts would be as harsh for them as for some kobolts not kill them and take theirs weapons and armor.

Remember in some societies gold was scarce. And one gp bought a lot.
(Also in a lot of RPGs, mages are scarce.)
(Also competent GM finds valid reason why fire bombs are not lying around as a common loot, and why even indestructible magical items are scarce.)

Codex Year of the Donut
The difficulty spikes are off.
79EA384A5D7977101093EA5A3EEABA7A421ACFDF

It took me 3 minutes to kill this bitch. All party members are permanently blind (4 of them actually). AC37 *sigh*
give valerie sunder armor, set it to autocast(because she won't be hitting shit with her terrible strength score anyways)

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
It's been a while since we've had a game where all the enemies don't just die when you press the awesome button of your choice.

I mean, sure...but if you're here and complaining about that? Fuck outta my face and off this site, turdlings!

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here is some basic tactics.

Clear the camp without ringing the alarm,kill the fucking bear while in the cage,kill all the bandits and named idiots around the camp and lastly just park your people from the right side on the high ground. Also you can poison his wine

What I've done:

-cleared zombies
-talked to bandit chick outside, she wanted to rush in, I said wait for my signal
-snuck in through gap in fence
-Talked to the second in command, got a special Lore check to mention a god, he agreed to help me
-Killed the group of bandits to the south (exhausting most spells) and then the ones in front of the gate (they were easy)

Now there are three bandits to the east and a bigger group to the north. The three to the east are near a wolf pen, I have to keep my distance. When I aggro any of the three, all of them come at me. The alchemist has to be killed ASAP, as does the Brawler (barb). They all take quite a few hits and the hit rate is very low (35% ish). The barb is easy to hit but has lots of health. Whichever two I kill first, the third alerts the whole camp.

Theoretically I can rush the alchemist and incapacitate the other two with laughter/hold person while I whack at them but it's heavily RNG. And you know what, those fuckers never fail their will saves.

I've done every quest I've come across, and explored all the dungeons and other named locations, and I need several thousand more xp to level. If there is a secret area somewhere I can gain more xp I'm all ears.

If you're on higher difficulties give up on stuff that takes a saving throw; they get a flat bonus and your party members are already suboptimal. focus on buffs and damage unless fighting thigns that are already stupid, ie trolls

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Uh... well, some attacks will lower a character's DEx or STR or whatever. It heals if you rest enough. ok??
What attacks? Where is this displayed?

I also have Permanent Dexterity penalty to 2 chars already. How do I heal that? Not with rest? The tooltip on the debuff is empty.

Jinn

Arcane
I also have Permanent Dexterity penalty to 2 chars already. How do I heal that? Not with rest? The tooltip on the debuff is empty.

You need to use either a restoration spell or restoration potion on that character.

Codex Year of the Donut
Here is some basic tactics.

Clear the camp without ringing the alarm,kill the fucking bear while in the cage,kill all the bandits and named idiots around the camp and lastly just park your people from the right side on the high ground. Also you can poison his wine

What I've done:

-cleared zombies
-talked to bandit chick outside, she wanted to rush in, I said wait for my signal
-snuck in through gap in fence
-Talked to the second in command, got a special Lore check to mention a god, he agreed to help me
-Killed the group of bandits to the south (exhausting most spells) and then the ones in front of the gate (they were easy)

Now there are three bandits to the east and a bigger group to the north. The three to the east are near a wolf pen, I have to keep my distance. When I aggro any of the three, all of them come at me. The alchemist has to be killed ASAP, as does the Brawler (barb). They all take quite a few hits and the hit rate is very low (35% ish). The barb is easy to hit but has lots of health. Whichever two I kill first, the third alerts the whole camp.

Theoretically I can rush the alchemist and incapacitate the other two with laughter/hold person while I whack at them but it's heavily RNG. And you know what, those fuckers never fail their will saves.

I've done every quest I've come across, and explored all the dungeons and other named locations, and I need several thousand more xp to level. If there is a secret area somewhere I can gain more xp I'm all ears.

If you're on higher difficulties give up on stuff that takes a saving throw; they get a flat bonus and your party members are already suboptimal. focus on buffs and damage unless fighting thigns that are already stupid, ie trolls
the higher difficulties are just stupid
it's not more challenging to simply make it impossible to use any of your offensive abilities because their defenses are so insane that you can't kill anything sans waiting to roll a critical hit
it's just annoying and stupid

Cael

Arcane
the higher difficulties are just stupid
it's not more challenging to simply make it impossible to use any of your offensive abilities because their defenses are so insane that you can't kill anything sans waiting to roll a critical hit
it's just annoying and stupid
There are people who proudly talk about the Heart of Fury difficulty of IWD... Bloody masochists.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

Just keep resting.

EDIT: And honestly you tend to need to make camp from party-whining so much while traveling it's pretty natural to just let these things heal on their own.

Cael

Arcane
Guys, terminology!

There are things that do stat damage. These are permanent until healed, whether it is by resting (1 per 24 hours of rest) or the spell restoration. I don't know if lesser restoration exists in this game, but if it does, that is your go to for healing stat damage (restoration is for negative levels due to cost).

There are also things that do stat penalties, and these go away after a while without you doing anything. Touch of Idiocy and Touch of Fatigue are two good examples.

Codex Year of the Donut
Guys, terminology!

There are things that do stat damage. These are permanent until healed, whether it is by resting (1 per 24 hours of rest) or the spell restoration. I don't know if lesser restoration exists in this game, but if it does, that is your go to for healing stat damage (restoration is for negative levels due to cost).

There are also things that do stat penalties, and these go away after a while without you doing anything. Touch of Idiocy and Touch of Fatigue are two good examples.
stat damage is definitely healed by resting
it will even tell you when it happens in your log

Cael

Arcane
Guys, terminology!

stat damage is definitely healed by resting
it will even tell you when it happens in your log
I know. The way they are using stat penalty and permanent stat penalty was doing my head in trying to figure out what they were on about.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik

You need to use either a restoration spell or restoration potion on that character.
Is this real? I don't believe it. There was nothing telling me I needed to rest to avoid a permanent injury. If this is true, then this is the stupidest design I've seen in an RPG.

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Put the game on a lower difficulty if you want to clear permanent stat damage on rest and stop whining.
You can also just switch that specific feature on, if you want. I forget what it's called but there's an option to clear all permanent debuffs on rest, just turn it on and your issue is solved

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Is this real? I don't believe it. There was nothing telling me I needed to rest to avoid a permanent injury. If this is true, then this is the stupidest design I've seen in an RPG.

It's actually attribute damage and you heal approx 1 point of it per rest, if you look at the rest sliders there's a point where it says attribute damage which is like 12 hours of resting?

It's actually a fine gameplay mechanic but the name "permanent damage" is just retarded

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom