Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'd like to try the demon path, does anyone have any idea for an interesting melee build for unfair?

Demon is the strongest as an Int stacker caster, if you want to play a melee build you are better off playing another path.
The game isn't incredibly difficult if you know what you're doing.
So if something is not ultra-optimal, nothing will happen.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd like to try the demon path, does anyone have any idea for an interesting melee build for unfair?

Demon is the strongest as an Int stacker caster, if you want to play a melee build you are better off playing another path.
If endless damage loops on a melee demon are not optimal, I don't know what is.

At least when you get to apply them to the enemies.

Edit: Are you mistaking demon with Azata by any chance? Those are really sub-par as melee characters.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Something with good Standard Actions to go with Move Teleport. Demon Rage uses Rage Powers (from Barb for instance). Inspire Ferocity doesn’t preclude casting on rest of team.

Cleaving/Vital Primalist would probably be pretty good.

Claws/Gore go well with a caster since it gives you 3 attacks without needing to worry about (low BAB) iteratives. Demon can get high DCs so could just teleport then cast (Cones or Touch spells especially). BFT should be good.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane

Bro. Are you serious right now? Demon hits very hard. The only issue it has is being limited on resources.

Yosharian

Arcane

If endless damage loops on a melee demon are not optimal, I don't know what is.

At least when you get to apply them to the enemies.

Edit: Are you mistaking demon with Azata by any chance? Those are really sub-par as melee characters.
Man even without Kalavakus you hit really damn hard.

Desiderius

Patron
For Unfair Mad Dog with Leopard would probably be most painless, though as Daidre notes you can also get the Leopard from a companion.

We tested Hagbound and if Vile Curse is using the right stat now it works well with Demon.

I’m playing Polymorphed (with Mythic Poly) Instinctual Warrior and its solid. Straight up IW should also be good.

Yoomazir

Educated
Man, it's too bad that my 60+ lores and knowledges MC can't automatically solve those dogshit puzzles.
For the Owlcuck that has a boner for puzzles: make a fucking puzzle game and get it out of your system already.

Rhobar121

Scholar
For Unfair Mad Dog with Leopard would probably be most painless, though as Daidre notes you can also get the Leopard from a companion.

We tested Hagbound and if Vile Curse is using the right stat now it works well with Demon.

I’m playing Polymorphed (with Mythic Poly) Instinctual Warrior and its solid. Straight up IW should also be good.
I was wondering about the vital strike 11 rowdy / 9 vivi or 20 two-handed figter (both should be similarly strong).
I'm just not sure if vital strike makes any sense on Unfair.

Does wide sweep work with a vital strike?

Desiderius

Patron
Vital Strike
:deathclaw:
It's a Standard Action to go with Move Action Demon Leap.

Why wouldn't it make sense on Unfair? It lets you get all your damage in at full BAB. Only problem would be getting enough Feats. I'd take a look at Primalist. I really like using Demon Rage to supplement regular Rage. Inspire Ferocity's been a nice boost for my Archers.

Demon also does this:

Abyssal Host.jpg

Not sure how bad this actually is since it doesn't affect infra (less troops also means more resources for infra) which is what makes you strong in ch5 when the Mythic bonus also kicks in. Looks like you also get a dialogue option that gives you a free super general.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Minagho crit miss save.jpg

Ha ha ha, eat it Minagho, fuck yeah!

Seelah crit miss fort save.jpg

WTF RNG's broken, Owlcat sux!

(Bad Tankard summon is bad)

Mounted Combat fail.jpg

Daeran not ready for prime time on the Mounted Combat feats yet. Should have just taken Outflank or caster feats earlier.

Daeran 10 Sound Burst Stun.jpg

Mythic Evo Focus *really* good on Divine Caster, especially a spontaneous one. Archers missing on MC from Bit of Luck Mythic 1 ability (3 uses of Mirror Image) and Dark Veil purchased in Kenabres.

Bit of Luck prevents Enervation.jpg

Here Bit of Luck prevents Enervation. Instinctual Warrior gets the Blind Fights for free, so already immune from Gaze, Bit of Luck covers Enervation so frees up Death Ward slot.

Seelah 10 38 AB crit.jpg

Tank Seelah can still hit hard when she needs to.

Seelah 10 51 AC.jpg

Or turtle up (this is without Fighting Defensively up yet)

Wolf 10 Trip 45 CMB.jpg

Daeran's Wolf's CMB coming along nicely

IW Demon 10 37 AB vs Staunton.jpg

Some work to do on damage end but AB/AC getting up there. He has Mythic Shatter so this hit established flat-footed for team, not that it buys you much vs heavily armored Stauton.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Lol the “stern and vigilant” General Demon gets via unique dialogue choice at beginning of ch3 not only has no unique abilities, it has zero experience and no abilities at all (unlike the Generals you can hire) other than the one all melee Generals start with - Dispersal of Forces - that doesn’t work.

So much vaporware.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Election over, we won, I can finally sit down with WotR again etc. but... why do I have some sort of global spell failure in Grimwood (Greybor dragon hunting map)? It seems to be undocumented - no effects on my buff bar and the spells don't actually say the fail, they just make the sound and wiff.

It doesn't happen until after summoning the dragon.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Lol the “stern and vigilant” General Demon gets via unique dialogue choice at beginning of ch3 not only has no unique abilities, it has zero experience and no abilities at all (unlike the Generals you can hire) other than the one all melee Generals start with - Dispersal of Forces - that doesn’t work.

So much vaporware.
Huh, I never got a demon general in my demon playthrough.
What is it? Mage/Warrior/Archer?

Desiderius

Patron

So much vaporware.
Warrior. Saving 6000 finances at that pt is good, but don’t really want a Gen with no abilities.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

So much vaporware.
Warrior. Saving 6000 finances at that pt is good, but don’t really want a Gen with no abilities.
Same with the swarm general (only one you could take)... 0 experience.
Hope they fixed it.

I feel like I fucked up by taking rangers instead of marksmen. I mean, it probably doesn't matter, the crusade stuff isn't exactly hard, but I really hate the fact that I picked rangers. I didn't understand the question at the time! I thought I was getting a single stack of units and I already had rangers, so I picked them.

Had I known all my archers were being converted to this option I would have chosen better.

But, my main general has fireball, so it doesn't really matter. Still, I should be winning these battles EVEN HARDER!

Also, how the hell are you supposed to deal with the enemy generals that nuke down your archer stack without the heal spell? Just like... accept the losses or something? Like a loser?

Finally, someone please inform me what units I should have in my armies. I have two generals, one with rangers, clerics, shield guys, a couple paladins, and some kind of shitty mages that cast magic missile. The other has hellknights, champs, the basic cavalry unit, and the 10 marksmen I got at some point. The second general is also a mage and has scorching ray or whatever, so she does ok killing strength 5 armies.

Also also also, I would like some advice on my party composition. I currently have zen archer MC, zen archer lann, camella, nenio, seelah, and uh... oracle dude. I originally put mr oracle into the party after woljif took off like a punk, but I"ve gotten accustomed to all the healing spells...

Everyone has a bow or xbow except seelah and her horse, who are the tanks. Nenio's there mainly for haste and some other buffs, although fire snake comes in handy sometimes. Camella will occasionally use hampering hex or evil eye if I remember they exist when I need them. Oracle boy heals seelah constantly during hard fights, and everyone else between fights. I play in RTWP mode, after abandoning my first playthrough I played mostly in turn based, which I found just excruciatingly slow. Also, is it just me or is cackle basically useless in RTWP mode? I can't even tell if it ever goes off... do move actions work properly in RT mode?

Desiderius

Patron
Read your abilities?

Rangers are fine. Marksmen are glass cannons so can have trouble vs enemy generals (or stacks that can get to your backline) until you get a good rez.

Combine caster units with your caster general since it gets abilities that buff them. Likewise melee with melee General since it gets Close Combat ability to buff them (and bigger Heal Tent).

Every general eventually gets a Heal, but you can also stack Clerics high for that.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I'm thinking of resuming my first playthrough which is lich -> legend, and I could use some suggestions for build.
Currently it's 14 Brown fur / 3 lore master, CL 16 due to me picking loremaster before they patched it. Going up to at least CL 28 for level 10 spells seems mandatory and no reason to not go 20 BFT for some of that. I've also more or less decided on 2 alch for cognatogen, but beyond that I'm stumped.

For larp reasons I'd prefer no cleric/oracle/sorc/druid stuff (but I can compromise if there's something really cool), and alignment is neutral evil.

I think the build will be strong/op regardless, so I'm mostly asking to see if there's something cool to pick up. Considering student of war 2 just because converting int to ac will be lulzy.

Read your abilities?

Rangers are fine. Marksmen are glass cannons so can have trouble vs enemy generals (or stacks that can get to your backline) until you get a good rez.

Combine caster units with your caster general since it gets abilities that buff them. Likewise melee with melee General since it gets Close Combat ability to buff them (and bigger Heal Tent).

Every general eventually gets a Heal, but you can also stack Clerics high for that.
Both my generals are caster generals because it's objectively the best choice, and it's not even close.

My question was really, what are the best units to use and try to stock up on? Obviously the basic units should be stocked up as much as possible, which mercs should I try to stock up on? Should I split archers between generals or just keep the biggest stack possible on one?

Desiderius

Patron
I feel like I fucked up by taking rangers instead of marksmen. I mean, it probably doesn't matter, the crusade stuff isn't exactly hard, but I really hate the fact that I picked rangers. I didn't understand the question at the time! I thought I was getting a single stack of units and I already had rangers, so I picked them.

Had I known all my archers were being converted to this option I would have chosen better.

But, my main general has fireball, so it doesn't really matter. Still, I should be winning these battles EVEN HARDER!

Also, how the hell are you supposed to deal with the enemy generals that nuke down your archer stack without the heal spell? Just like... accept the losses or something? Like a loser?

Finally, someone please inform me what units I should have in my armies. I have two generals, one with rangers, clerics, shield guys, a couple paladins, and some kind of shitty mages that cast magic missile. The other has hellknights, champs, the basic cavalry unit, and the 10 marksmen I got at some point. The second general is also a mage and has scorching ray or whatever, so she does ok killing strength 5 armies.

Also also also, I would like some advice on my party composition. I currently have zen archer MC, zen archer lann, camella, nenio, seelah, and uh... oracle dude. I originally put mr oracle into the party after woljif took off like a punk, but I"ve gotten accustomed to all the healing spells...

Everyone has a bow or xbow except seelah and her horse, who are the tanks. Nenio's there mainly for haste and some other buffs, although fire snake comes in handy sometimes. Camella will occasionally use hampering hex or evil eye if I remember they exist when I need them. Oracle boy heals seelah constantly during hard fights, and everyone else between fights. I play in RTWP mode, after abandoning my first playthrough I played mostly in turn based, which I found just excruciatingly slow. Also, is it just me or is cackle basically useless in RTWP mode? I can't even tell if it ever goes off... do move actions work properly in RT mode?
Cackle is Close Range while Hexes are Medium so you have to pay attention to your positioning.

Mounted Seelah shouldn’t need much healing. Make sure you’ve got Shield of Faith from Daeran and Barkskin from Cam on her Mount since it can’t wear rings and wants Amulet of Mighty Fists. Use Barding on Horse as well.

Use Daeran’s Channeling when you do need healing but he can do a lot more than heal. Mythic Spell Focus Evocation makes his Archons Aura better as well as spells like Sound Burst, Arrow of Law, and Holy Smite/Order’s Wrath. There’s equipment that can give him Elemental spells as well.

Nenio’s best spells are the AoE Illusion spells Color Spray, Rainbow Pattern, Phantasmal Web, and Phantasmal Putrefaction. Pay attention to what Feats and abilities characters have and take advantage of them.

You need somebody else in melee snd Cam works well there with Reduce Person and Fencing Grace. Make sure to use her Enemies Bane ability - it’s really good.

Evil Eye is pretty redundant with Hampering Hex (which works on everything since its not Mind-affecting). If you retrain her you can replace it with Iceplant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom