Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Parabalus

Arcane
I never skip the defense, I just do the whole map (other than post-defense Market Square, of course) before I trigger the defense. Then it's a quick trip to kill the nabasu and maybe the vrock and then grey garrison time.
It's kind of dumb now since you can just walk by Faxon and the demons at the Tower (as long as you trigger the columns) to get the Bow and Armor before Defense, but once Defense is done at lvl 6 it's trivial to hop back to Tower to finish off Faxon and pick up some EXP and items to sell. Post Defense there's no time limit so on higher difficulties I save everything SW of Gwerm until after Defense to do it fully buffed anyway.
You might as well kill him before.
If you chose a good option in shield maze, you get a buff that makes the whole fight much easier. You still need protection from energy to survive fireball (300g).

By the way, storyteller's artifacts shouldn't require resources?
I remember you had to get 5 magic essences at the premiere, now for some time it only requires one, which means you can make the covenant of the inheritor in 1 act.
A similar problem is with other artifacts.

You could get it at release too, there are 5 essences in C1.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Why? I get more EXP from the Mobility/Column checks, the guys the columns kill, the Intimidate check, and killing the Templar that spawns. I get to items early anyway without having to blow the 300g, which I what I'm there for.

One (two?) of which are in Garrison, which is too late. I tried to get it in Act 1 recently and it wasn't available. Are you sure it only takes one now?

Desiderius

Patron
Lol, Nenio's been randdomly bugging out and not moving unless moved manually then the image is a big blur.

Edit: it was trying to render both her forms simultaneously (hadn't been to Ruins yet). Eventually snapped out of it.

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
Why? I get more EXP from the Mobility/Column checks, the guys the columns kill, the Intimidate check, and killing the Templar that spawns. I get to items early anyway without having to blow the 300g, which I what I'm there for.

One (two?) of which are in Garrison, which is too late. I tried to get it in Act 1 recently and it wasn't available. Are you sure it only takes one now?
300 gold is nothing. Spending those 2-3k gold makes it much easier to complete most of the content in act 1 before stay of execution. It's free exp that allows you to reach level 5 quite quickly.
The weapon you get for killing him allows you to easily kill shadows in the market.
Finean requires Woljif to be recruited, so I don't do that until fairly late in Act 1.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Blightmaw is tough when you go there with no arcane casters so you can't cheese his low reflex, playing at core difficulty and I had two deaths killing him, didn't have raise dead scrolls either so there goes the two scales of terendelev. In hindsight not having at least displacement was a silly decision, let alone no haste and no web/grease.

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Beat areshkagal. Is she on the easier side compared to other "big" bosses encounter or my team (all level 20) is just overpowered at this point?

Main strategy is have aivu just auto dispel, daeran spam channel energy, and the MC summon tons of shit with brazen whip and all the summon augmenting feats/abilities and items on top of life bonding frienship. They just melt the multiple copies aresh summoned. The longest part in the fight is waiting for the pit of fuin to wear off because dumb marilith is trapped there and i cannot trigger the last phase of the fight.

For reference, the hardest fight so far in my playtrough is mephistoteles. It actually forced me to turn rhe difficulty from core to normal.

razvedchiki

Magister
the strategic map would be more enjoyable if it was more challenging like the crpg combat part is.
having enemy armies attacking your outposts more frequently, or your armies starting with 6 unit cap would be a step on the right direction.

Yosharian

Arcane
I dunno if this has been mentioned before. I vaguely remember it being discussed. Anyway: if you take the Wolf-Scarred curse, you get 3 bites. Every time the curse increases its damage, it doesn't actually increase the damage, it just gives you an extra bite!

Also, curses seem to be scaling incorrectly. Characters that dip curses are only meant to get half progression when they take classes that aren't curse classes, yet I'm getting the 15th-level upgrades for the curse while only having a 1-level dip in the curse class.

Desiderius

Patron

300 gold is nothing. Spending those 2-3k gold makes it much easier to complete most of the content in act 1 before stay of execution. It's free exp that allows you to reach level 5 quite quickly.
The weapon you get for killing him allows you to easily kill shadows in the market.
Finean requires Woljif to be recruited, so I don't do that until fairly late in Act 1.
The Kukri? You still get that if you tip over the columns. If you've got the patience to do most of Kenabres without Wolj on high difficulties you're a better man than I. The EXP difference just isn't worth it.

Blightmaw is tough when you go there with no arcane casters so you can't cheese his low reflex, playing at core difficulty and I had two deaths killing him, didn't have raise dead scrolls either so there goes the two scales of terendelev. In hindsight not having at least displacement was a silly decision, let alone no haste and no web/grease.
Best thing against Blightmaw is unlocking your Mythic Path first. The Banner debuffs him.

Rhobar121

Scholar

The Kukri? You still get that if you tip over the columns. If you've got the patience to do most of Kenabres without Wolj on high difficulties you're a better man than I. The EXP difference just isn't worth it.

Best thing against Blightmaw is unlocking your Mythic Path first. The Banner debuffs him.
I'm not sure if kukri works, marching terror definitely doesn't.
As for clearing most of Act 1 in a 4 man party, it's not a big deal. Last time I was saving up spell slots so much that I ended up most of the market with half my spells.

What is most important is a good tank that can only survive on long buffs like barkskin and mage armor.
The pet is of course the best. Both Lann and Wenduag are ideal for this purpose.

The first few fights in the market are very easy and do not require much tactics. It's just important not to fight more than one group of enemies at a time. In this area, the most difficult is the fight with the group in the middle where there is a gnome fighter.
After clearing the entire area (except ember), you should create a bridge to the other side.
It is important that all athletics checks are successfully completed otherwise it will be much more difficult because of the debuff.

Fighting the bugs is very simple, just send the pet in front, the other group will be killed by the NPC if you get close enough.
Fighting in the center of the market is easy if you have remove fear, otherwise there is a bit of rng.
Just stay away from the clerics until you kill all the melee.

Fighting the swarm is long but easy. The easiest way to do it is with a single character.
Seelah is perfect for this. Take off her armor and give her a glaive.
The fight is trivial, just hit once and then run away until the next turn. Because swarms are slow, you can do it without any threat.

The fight against the bugs is very easy, the second group will be killed by the npcs if you get close enough.

The fight with 3x Abrikandilu can be quite difficult and if you don't feel up to it, you might as well leave it for later.

The next fight is a group of cultists near the temple. The wizard is the most dangerous here, if you manage to kill him within 2 turns you win, otherwise he will kill your pet.

It is best to start the fight with Vermlek from the back. You place a pet next to it so that it can't cast inflict wounds then eliminate the wizards (they are easier than the previous one).

Then you purge ghouls, bugs and a small group of demons.

If you managed to kill 3x Abrikandil you can go down and then clear the first group of enemies. To make the whole fight easier, you can lead them to the npc.

At this point, you have cleared most of the market without rest.

Estrod's tower is also simple as long as you made a good choice in shield maze.
First you use the columns to reduce the number of enemies and then finish off the rest.
With the weapon you can go back and kill the shadows.
Of course, you can also start with Estrod Tower, and that will probably be more optimal.

What can be problematic is the quest with Nienio (you can't skip this shit). This requires some luck because the enemies will start attacking your character right away.
Nienio, of course, I immediately sent to the tavern.

If you made it, congratulations, you can finally rest for the first time.
Then you can go to Daeran's mansion (after the fight he doesn't automatically start a conversation so you can not finish the quest).
On your way back, you can also visit the Silken Thread Atelier.

FreeKaner

Desiderius what is some other classes that can do mounted combat well aside from cavalier? I was doing a longspear charge build with order of the sword, it deals a lot of damage on charge (can crit about 200 with demon path by act 3 & level 10) but I want a less charge focused one because I felt I only dealt damage on charge despite being somewhat tanky.

Is sword & board mounted combat good? Not as focused on charge (ofc charging when possible is still good), Seelah on horse seemed really good too. I wonder if there are other alternatives to more staying in melee and dealing damage archetypes (maybe with trample)?

Rhobar121

Scholar
Desiderius what is some other classes that can do mounted combat well aside from cavalier? I was doing a longspear charge build with order of the sword, it deals a lot of damage on charge (can crit about 200 with demon path by act 3 & level 10) but I want a less charge focused one because I felt I only dealt damage on charge despite being somewhat tanky.

Is sword & board mounted combat good? Not as focused on charge (ofc charging when possible is still good), Seelah on horse seemed really good too. I wonder if there are other alternatives to more staying in melee and dealing damage archetypes (maybe with trample)?
You don't need a shield if you're mounted, enemies attack the horse first (at least most of them).
A 2h weapon would be a much better choice.

FreeKaner

You don't need a shield if you're mounted, enemies attack the horse first (at least most of them).

I know, but there is a feat that gives shield AC to horse, which seems quite good. Between the mounted combat mobility check and that horse gets very hard to hit unless you get bogged down. Two-handed build is good for charge of course.

Yosharian

Arcane

I know, but there is a feat that gives shield AC to horse, which seems quite good. Between the mounted combat mobility check and that horse gets very hard to hit unless you get bogged down. Two-handed build is good for charge of course.
Lmao. It's fucking terrible on a martial build.

Humbaba

Arcane
Longspears aren't particularly bad, my halfling vital strike deliverer used longspears to hide behind the tank and that worked great.

Fuck shields, fuck AC and fuck mounts, mounts are the biggest achilles' heel if there ever was one, gets focussed to hell, drops your ass on the ground and you'll get aoo'd to death while trying to get up. AVOID.

FreeKaner

Doubt, stacking AC works wonders on a horse, especially when you can stack without any penalties on the horse itself.

Longspear sucks ass, use a real weapon

Why? What is the difference between any other 3x crit multipler two hander? Also iirc the capstone for 3x charge only works with longspears (since there are no lances in the game).

Longspears aren't particularly bad, my halfling vital strike deliverer used longspears to hide behind the tank and that worked great.

Fuck shields, fuck AC and fuck mounts, mounts are the biggest achilles' heel if there ever was one, gets focussed to hell, drops your ass on the ground and you'll get aoo'd to death while trying to get up. AVOID.

Didn't happen to me, my horse had near 40 AC and was very hard to kill already by act 3. Getting dismounted sucks of course but AI doesn't dismount you often because it doesn't cast reflex save prone abilities that often. Not sure how it was before but despite not building particularly as a tank my character was extremely hard to kill. Really could just charge in and hold half the enemy in any given encounter. Daredevil horse also gets immune to flanking so it is even better.

Rhobar121

Scholar

That +2ac (+3 with shield focus) is really not worth it.

Yosharian

Arcane

Doubt, stacking AC works wonders on a horse, especially when you can stack without any penalties on the horse itself.

Why? What is the difference between any other 3x crit multipler two hander? Also iirc the capstone for 3x charge only works with longspears (since there are no lances in the game).

Didn't happen to me, my horse had near 40 AC and was very hard to kill already by act 3. Getting dismounted sucks of course but AI doesn't dismount you often because it doesn't cast reflex save prone abilities that often. Not sure how it was before but despite not building particularly as a tank my character was extremely hard to kill. Really could just charge in and hold half the enemy in any given encounter. Daredevil horse also gets immune to flanking so it is even better.
Bro it is not challenging in the least to get a pet up to very high AC. you do not need to take a giant dump on your damage output just to give your pet +2 AC lmao

longspear has a crit range of 20 do i really have to explain why this weapon is bad? Gendarme's capstone works with any weapon and is far, far better in every way than base cavalier.

And it's better to go 15 levels in the class then add something else, anyway

Desiderius

Patron

(a) Haplo and Daidre and probably Yosharian have the most powerful Mounted builds. If you play a Mounted MC you can usually set up combat to open with a Charge so that helps you get them in. Haplo uses Travel Domain + Domain Zealot to reposition for additional charges.

(b) Board is unnecessary mounted. You get attacked occasionally but not enough to make it worth it. Seelah's fine mounted but not really playing to her strengths or the strengths of Mounted Combat. Divine Weapon Bond is really good and works well making up for the malus of a Tower and/or Fighting Defensively (she starts with Dodge so one level of Monk can also get her Crane Style as well if you want). I find that Seelah a much more satisfying use of her talents. The item that makes her Smite AC Sacred will let her tank *almost* everything and she can get pretty tanky with the +3 Tower early.

(c) Mounted Daeran in contrast (vis Nature Second Mystery) is just a great fit since it takes care of his Curse and Friend of Animals makes his Mount much more resilient (plus it gives him some good spells)

(d) Mounted Combat Feats can end up very good (especially the Saves one - pretty much mandatory with the Relic that gives Mount +6 STR) but take awhile to get there (there's a +10 Mobility belt at HK camp) so not worth taking early. In TTT you can get full attacks even when Mount moves but it takes 14 ranks in Mobility to unlock.

Urban Hunter, Divine Hound, Mad Dog, Sohei, Sacred Huntmaster, Nomad, and Arcane Rider all have their own quirks but are fun to play. Pets with Trips can set up some nice synergies with riders who have AoOs.

Desiderius

Patron
Gendarme's capstone
Lol. Yosharian you should really just play DLC1 exclusively so you can live in the endgame fantasyland in your head full time.

Gendarme's pretty boring but hey if you need a splash with some Feats knock yourself out. Soloers gonna solo.

If you go Mounted Shield with a Tower it's +5. Getting knocked off your mount is a good way to wipe so it's hardly useless. Depends how much damage you need out of that character but you're already getting a nice boost from Challenge damage so a Mounted Shieldbasher doubling up Challenge damage and boosting her Mount's AC won't be awful. And there's a couple bashing shields with good procs.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Bro it is not challenging in the least to get a pet up to very high AC. you do not need to take a giant dump on your damage output just to give your pet +2 AC lmao

longspear has a crit range of 20 do i really have to explain why this weapon is bad?

All 3x crit weapons have crit range of 20. That is the trade off, which I think is worth in a charge build to frontload your damage on crits to secure a oneshot, especially on a nat20 against high AC enemies (near oneshot zacharius). It basically means you can kill most anything whenever you get a crit charge. As stated it is not for consistent damage it is for charge. Also unless I am mistaken, in wrathfinder only longspears gets the 3x charge damage benefit of cavalier capstone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom