Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
What do you know, both Desiderius' Drahonheir Scion Dazzling Display bug and Yosharian's Mighty Charge bug appear to have been squashed?
Nice job, Owlcats!
Now I've got my Chaotic playthrough ready to follow Lawful.

Lawful Aeon: Seelah, Reg, Lann, Sos, Nenio with LG Spawn Slayer Aeon MC

Chaotic Demon: Wend, Wolj, Ember, Aru, Cam with CN Scion Demon MC

No Divine caster will be interesting.

Rhobar121

Scholar
a) This still requires spending 2 feats and 1 mythic feat on a character who is hungry for feats anyway.
Sosiel has a lot of much better choices. With the impossible domain alone you will get many more bonuses.
b) About 90% of the dangerous enemies in this game are demons, which tend to have quite a high SR.
c) In the game you actually have a lot of items for SP, the problem is that you have other characters that need them more.
d) So to make the character not useless for most of the game you have to practically remake it from scratch?
e) Oracle is better for what you want to do. Practically from the 1st act you have access to items that give you free spells.
You can easily get both red salamander and stormlord resolve which give you tons of good evocation spells.
Oh for fuck sake.

a) Yeah, that's why I typically don't take them up front or at all depending. Moot now since I've just respecced him to get them in place of the weak Feats he starts with, and I've got Piercing Rods for Prayer. The Mythic doesn't do much until later on anyway so it makes more sense to hold off on it to get there with late game nukes in vanilla.

b) Again with the abstractions pulled out of your ass. The things I use Sound Burst on are often not even Demons. Cultists and Votaries are a threat he's well-placed to take out. That's his role until endgame nukes come in. And yeah Archon's bypasses all that Demon SR and sets them up for Nenio AoE enemies only control.

c) They get more plentiful as the game goes on. Sos has two other good action econs until then (one Full/Standard, the other Swift), but Archon's doesn't use any econ at all, Prayer buffs my team regardless (and is no Save so even getting thru half the SR is fine) and Sound Burst as we've been over is for Human casters or other things with low SR anyway.

d) If your Sos is useless that's a you problem. Vanilla he focuses on attacking (with self-buffs), buffing, Archon's debuff, domain, and controlling casters until Spell Pen comes in later. That's... alot. Main reason for respec is simply that this team already has two Heavy wearers and no Medium so just wanted a conventional Cleric. Prayer goes from meh to good, Arrow of Law turns on, and Burst gets more targets. Marginal improvement but nothing like what FreeKaner is describing. He's not there to Dismiss bosses.

e) You have no idea what you're talking about. Sos already *has* good Evo spells in this setting. That Ring is anything but free and three's a lot of items I want to buy (especially modded with Piercing Rods and the like). This is the same issue with EK and Impossible Domain. You guys stack five parallel action economies* on one character instead of making any one of them good and think you're doing something. That's the same mistake I came to the Codex to make and Daidre rightly pwned me for it.

* - Archon's is so good because it takes no Action Econ at all.
In the game you have a 6 characters. so you don't need everyone to do dmg, especially if one character can make the others much more effective.
Recently I showed how very useful community domain is especially for enemies that cast CC like blasphemy.

Domains are extremely powerful, but you usually have very limited choices. There's a reason why Erasil is the strongest possible picks in Kingsmaker.
I'll keep saying this, but Guarded Heart doesn't change anything in the action economy because you mainly use it BEFORE the fight.

Enemies like normal cultists cease to be a serious threat from the end of act 1.
The only typical human enemies I know are the minimally problematic barbarians in Wintersun.
Votary is a bit of a different matter. They appear quite late in the game, while in Drezen they are deadly dangerous, unless you go to the ivory sanctum early, they are not very dangerous after that.
They still have pretty good saves though.

Gargoyles in act 2 that are actually pretty weak against sonic burst, but I don't know if there is anything else.

Really good spells come quite late and require spell penetration.
I don't count blade barrier because it's still extremely buggy.
Dearan has pretty much the same spells as Sosiel (1 level later), plus of course those spells he gets for items.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The truth is that owlcat employees are a bunch of incompetent morons who can't even get their own code in order.
Yes, surely. Never mind that they created 2 best isometric RPG's after Baldur's Gate or (tentatively) after Dragon Age: Origins.

And before that Mishulin and some other higher-ups created Silent Storm. Only Phoenix Point came close to the level of simulation made in this 20 years old game.
If in a patch they can break something that worked properly for a year, then you definitely have to be talented. I would forgive it if they fixed it after 2-3 days but no.
I bet something like quality control is a concept that Russians don't understand.
As well as, say, Mark Zuckerberg. "Move fast and break things", huh? Helped him to become a multi-billionaire alright. So unless Owlcat Games are developing software for Moscow subway signals I'm OK with their QA process.

However, in the end you will all suck it from Owlcat's, because no one west of the Oder will create anything remotely that ambitious and good in the next 5 years. Until the woke crisis in the West is somehow resolved.
Coincidentally, Zuckerberg wasn't the person who "borrowed" FB concepts from his friends in college, or maybe was it someone else?
Zuckerberg was lucky with FB but his next brilliant ideas including metaverse and VR shows that he is not very good at managing funds.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The truth is that owlcat employees are a bunch of incompetent morons who can't even get their own code in order.
Yes, surely. Never mind that they created 2 best isometric RPG's after Baldur's Gate or (tentatively) after Dragon Age: Origins.

And before that Mishulin and some other higher-ups created Silent Storm. Only Phoenix Point came close to the level of simulation made in this 20 years old game.
If in a patch they can break something that worked properly for a year, then you definitely have to be talented. I would forgive it if they fixed it after 2-3 days but no.
I bet something like quality control is a concept that Russians don't understand.
As well as, say, Mark Zuckerberg. "Move fast and break things", huh? Helped him to become a multi-billionaire alright. So unless Owlcat Games are developing software for Moscow subway signals I'm OK with their QA process.

However, in the end you will all suck it from Owlcat's, because no one west of the Oder will create anything remotely that ambitious and good in the next 5 years. Until the woke crisis in the West is somehow resolved.
Coincidentally, Zuckerberg wasn't the person who "borrowed" FB concepts from his friends in college, or maybe was it someone else?
Zuckerberg was lucky with FB but his next brilliant ideas including metaverse and VR shows that he is not very good at managing funds.

One of the Q themes was that the CIA stole the FB software from someone else (not the guys who tried to sue him, someone else, some other obscure startup guy), tweaked it for intel use and gave it to Zuckerberg. So basically he was responsible for the initial college version of FB, but the version that became the FB we all know and love wasn't his.

I always thought that was one of the more plausible Q things :)

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am OK if FSB stole the Pathfinder code from some obscure Western developer and tortured Chris Avellone to write for Kingmaker.

However, I am very much in doubt that there are lots of good ideas worth stealing from the West nowadays.

Yosharian

Arcane
Looks like Bubbles is having some life issues. His response to his BubbleTweak mod breaking with EE has apparently been 'Yes, so don't use my mod'

da fuck

Hopefully the buff mod doesn't suffer a similar fate because i don't think i can stand to play an Owlcat game without a buff mod anymore

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Buffing up before a fight is half the fun of the game, especially earlier on when per round spells are shorter and you have less resources to spare (I try to rest as little as possible, no rest during grey garrison, drezen etc.)

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Also, I find it exciting to apply buffs depending on caster levels of the casters and the spell's duration. Like, after the 6th level Delay Poison, Communal has to be cast after applying 10 minute per level buffs, but not before.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
That is what happens when mod developers abandon Nexus as a universal mod repository and slink away into murky hideouts.
Nexus did that.

Mod finder works great.
Yes, I know about itsy-bitsy feelings of the great creators who are mod developers. I think Vek17 is the worst offender. Well, various unpleasant wishes are, probably, not good even on Codex, so I will not elaborate.

However, I will not install any mod other than from Nexus.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
That is what happens when mod developers abandon Nexus as a universal mod repository and slink away into murky hideouts.

They mostly hang out on the modding section of the Owlcat Discord.

The new hotness is to use Mod Finder, the modders on the Discord use github mostly, and Mod Finder gets the updates immediately from github. Nice interface too, and it has a few buttons that make life easier (so you can access info about the mod easier).

Yosharian

Arcane

The new hotness is to use Mod Finder, the modders on the Discord use github mostly, and Mod Finder gets the updates immediately from github. Nice interface too, and it has a few buttons that make life easier (so you can access info about the mod easier).
Wtf is Mod Finder?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Wtf is Mod Finder?

https://github.com/Pathfinder-WOTR-Modding-Community/ModFinder#-latest-release

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
That's exactly what I meant by "murky hideouts". Also, I am banned from Owlcat Discord.

In addition, I do not like that Mod Finder is a mod itself. If it had been a standalone Windows application I would have considered using it. However, with the state of Owlcat's QA I do not want to pollute the game's memory with anything.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
a) This still requires spending 2 feats and 1 mythic feat on a character who is hungry for feats anyway.
Sosiel has a lot of much better choices. With the impossible domain alone you will get many more bonuses.
b) About 90% of the dangerous enemies in this game are demons, which tend to have quite a high SR.
c) In the game you actually have a lot of items for SP, the problem is that you have other characters that need them more.
d) So to make the character not useless for most of the game you have to practically remake it from scratch?
e) Oracle is better for what you want to do. Practically from the 1st act you have access to items that give you free spells.
You can easily get both red salamander and stormlord resolve which give you tons of good evocation spells.
Oh for fuck sake.

a) Yeah, that's why I typically don't take them up front or at all depending. Moot now since I've just respecced him to get them in place of the weak Feats he starts with, and I've got Piercing Rods for Prayer. The Mythic doesn't do much until later on anyway so it makes more sense to hold off on it to get there with late game nukes in vanilla.

b) Again with the abstractions pulled out of your ass. The things I use Sound Burst on are often not even Demons. Cultists and Votaries are a threat he's well-placed to take out. That's his role until endgame nukes come in. And yeah Archon's bypasses all that Demon SR and sets them up for Nenio AoE enemies only control.

c) They get more plentiful as the game goes on. Sos has two other good action econs until then (one Full/Standard, the other Swift), but Archon's doesn't use any econ at all, Prayer buffs my team regardless (and is no Save so even getting thru half the SR is fine) and Sound Burst as we've been over is for Human casters or other things with low SR anyway.

d) If your Sos is useless that's a you problem. Vanilla he focuses on attacking (with self-buffs), buffing, Archon's debuff, domain, and controlling casters until Spell Pen comes in later. That's... alot. Main reason for respec is simply that this team already has two Heavy wearers and no Medium so just wanted a conventional Cleric. Prayer goes from meh to good, Arrow of Law turns on, and Burst gets more targets. Marginal improvement but nothing like what FreeKaner is describing. He's not there to Dismiss bosses.

e) You have no idea what you're talking about. Sos already *has* good Evo spells in this setting. That Ring is anything but free and three's a lot of items I want to buy (especially modded with Piercing Rods and the like). This is the same issue with EK and Impossible Domain. You guys stack five parallel action economies* on one character instead of making any one of them good and think you're doing something. That's the same mistake I came to the Codex to make and Daidre rightly pwned me for it.

* - Archon's is so good because it takes no Action Econ at all.
In the game you have a 6 characters. so you don't need everyone to do dmg, especially if one character can make the others much more effective.
Recently I showed how very useful community domain is especially for enemies that cast CC like blasphemy.

Domains are extremely powerful, but you usually have very limited choices. There's a reason why Erasil is the strongest possible picks in Kingsmaker.
I'll keep saying this, but Guarded Heart doesn't change anything in the action economy because you mainly use it BEFORE the fight.

Enemies like normal cultists cease to be a serious threat from the end of act 1.
The only typical human enemies I know are the minimally problematic barbarians in Wintersun.
Votary is a bit of a different matter. They appear quite late in the game, while in Drezen they are deadly dangerous, unless you go to the ivory sanctum early, they are not very dangerous after that.

Gargoyles in act 2 that are actually pretty weak against sonic burst, but I don't know if there is anything else.

Dearan has pretty much the same spells as Sosiel (1 level later), plus of course those spells he gets for items.
Sigh. Game isn’t played in vague abstractions. Lets look at particulars.

Of course Guarded Hearth is good. Here’s the four questions you have to answer:

(1) Do you need it? Outside of Unfair don’t need the AB. On Unfair other than some optional fights there it depends on rest of party, but optional fights aren’t really optional. It’s good there in a way that isn’t easily replaced but if I’ve got a Bard/Skald still might not need it since bonus is now Competence.

Hearth is a spiking ability, but Sos already has abilities like Touch of Good and Divine Fortune which (along with his self buffs) let him spike effectively and help the team to do so.

Saves tho no question are great if you can make the tactics (Full Action default) work. Which leads to next question.

(2) Can you get it somewhere else? Yes. Pure ZA Lann is a great source of pure damage (and can spike himself with Perfect Strike and Ki Attack), but as you note that may not be something you need. Sosiel himself can fulfill some of that function without giving up his Swift Domain action econ by using Cleric self-buffs and Divine Fortune to make him a good fighter. And of course for most people MC is a good source of damage as well.

That frees up Lann to pick up a Domain thru something like Sacred Huntmaster which then lets him make Hearth Swift with Zealot since he didn’t have to blow a Mythic getting the Domain in the first place, solving the Full Action problem.

Of course easiest place to get it is on MC where you can design a whole build around it. I don't think Reg gets Impossible (?) but would also be a good home since he doesn't need Abundant or Spell Focus/Pen Mythics.

(3) What does it cost Sosiel to get it? This is the main factor. If you're taking Impossible at M1 you're not getting Abundant (12 spell slots! plus delaying Improved Abundant) or Domain Zealot which turns off half your action econ. If you take those two at M1 and M2 then Impossible Community at 3 you're not getting Improved Abundant and have missed out on Hearth for 4 levels where it would really come in handy (Unfair is hardest earliest) and you miss out on Improved Abundant which is eight (very good!) slots and 12 at lvl 11. That doesn't even get into Mythic Evo and eventually Spell Pen. He has the most crowded set of Mythics he really wants compared to the other options that for some reason you keep ignoring.

(4) How does it affect Sosiel's Action Economy? This is more a question for Madness which you want to use a lot. But even on Hearth putting down a Hearth and pulling really isn't a viable approach on some of the hardest fights where it's better to take the fight to the enemy. Taking Impossible before Zealot makes you better for one fight but significantly worse for the rest. Combining Hearth and Zealot (at high cost) can work ok but again you can't look at the Hearth benefit in a vacuum but have to compare it to the Touch of Good/Luck that would otherwise be taking that Swift. That's often enough if you put it on your best attacker.

Lol on your MC with +9 Bestow Grace. C'mon man it will make you less vulnerable there but hardly a full solution, especially Unfair. You're going to need Immunity or tactics to be safe even with Hearth. Later on it will be great to get you into crit miss only range granted.

Not the case, and Community doesn't even give Cleric any new spells. Game's not one-dimensional, all depends on what you need. Harrim's two Domains ended up being great in P:K even though they looked bad at first glance.

Kabriri Cultists in Lost Chapel, Shadow Votaries in Drezen, Druid/Ranger at Wintersun, Cultists in Ivory Sanctum. If it can cast it's a threat, and sometimes if it can shoot. Fort is typically weakest save and saves can be debuffed. The extra +4 DC makes a big difference. When Demons start being a bigger threat is the same time the Spell Pen kicks in (and you get Evo Cloak from Sanctum).

Most Gargs have high enough SR that Burst is unreliable against them, plus Sos is good so vulnerable vs Smite Good. Gargs section of ch2 might be a good time to give him a blow.

Smite/Wrath is good vs Demons once you have the Spell Pen since it gets full damage plus debuff/mez. Hellfire, Arbitrament, Stormbolts etc...

Daeran only has the same spells as Sos if he picks them at level up though he gets more casts since Spontaneous so more Mythic options. He's a *much* worse fighter though and doesn't get the Swift Domain buffs. They're doing vastly different things. Nuke rings are ok but raw nukes need Meta to really be good and starting fight Staggered is massive nonbo with Full Action spells. You can just pick the good Divine nukes anyway. I do use Electric Bracers with Unholy Max Rod on him sometimes tho.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Nexus did that.

Mod finder works great.
Yes, I know about itsy-bitsy feelings of the great creators who are mod developers. I think Vek17 is the worst offender. Well, various unpleasant wishes are, probably, not good even on Codex, so I will not elaborate.

However, I will not install any mod other than from Nexus.
When Holic jumped my shit in CotW forum I changed my approach. Authority flows from authorship. These guys (along with Mish) are the best so I follow them. If Nexus drove them away maybe Nexus should reconsider some life choices.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Desiderius I still don't understand why you insist on using Guarded Hearth ad-hoc. It is an ultimate metagaming buff, and, I think, it can even survive a cutscene. We are not playing table top here, we have Save/Load. You know where everybody is and where they will come from. And the radius is quite good. You can even cast Invisibility on Sosiel so he can put the circle without harassment, as it is not considered an attack (I think). So IMHO casting it during the fight is... how to say it politely... ill-advised.

However, if I am to challenge myself to forget everything after reload Nenio-style - then I would not use Guarded Hearth at all.

When Holic jumped my shit in CotW forum I changed my approach. Authority flows from authorship.
See, that's the difference. No one jumped anything for me, and I do not like deep changes in the game mechanics anyway. The only mod I was considering was BubbleTweak, and the main part I wanted is the statistics page. So for me those arrogant bastards hold no authority.

Desiderius

Patron
I do not like deep changes in the game mechanics anyway.

Even Dark Codex isn’t that deep and TTT is mostly bugfixes and bringing certain things in line with PnP. In some cases making game harder. Most of the Homebrew stuff on Modfinder is just adding classes like CotW. I’m not using those yet or the broken ones. TTT is highly configurable so you can pick and choose what you like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom