Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Yosharian

Arcane
Another thing: I thought Wide Sweep worked in a very wide area of effect? It's only 5ft. according to the tooltip. That's really small.
Yes, its rather small. Might have been more on release, but it's been fixed/nerfed. Still a very powerful effect that absolutely decimates some encounters.
Apparently there is some unusual interaction with Cleave/Great Cleave? Not sure what it is but it would be troublesome for me to get Great Cleave. Or to get Cleave/Cleaving Finish early

Yosharian

Arcane
Holy Devotee's WrathLongswordThis +3 holy longsword counts neutral enemies as evil. It also allows its wielder to count neutral enemies as evil upon using Smite Evil ability.

How useful is this? Are there any very annoying enemies that are Neutral?

Yosharian

Arcane
So this is weird. I'm seeing a +4 Untyped damage bonus vs a prone enemy here. Dunno where it's coming from. Only my cavalier is getting it.

Yosharian

Arcane
So I did some DPR calculations comparing:

18-20/x2 weapon (e.g. Falchion, Scimitar, Fauchard)
vs
20/x4 weapon (i.e. Scythe)

Using a damage value of 100, and using crit chance calculated with the Flawless Belt + Keen, and taking into account +2 crit multiplier from Lethal Accuracy & Mythic Imp Crit:

18-20/x2: 100 -> 400, +300 damage, 300 x 40% = 120

20/x4 weapon: 100 -> 600, +500 damage, 500 x 20% = 100

so the 18-20/x2 weapons win in terms of average damage, which is expected, but it's mighty close.

But here's the thing: Fortune hex exists, and so does Brilliant Inspiration, and so does Perfect Strike, which my build happens to have.

When you calculate using triple advantage, e.g. Fortune + Perfect Strike, you get critical chances of 48.8% for 20/x4 weapon, and 79.4% for 18-20/x2.

With these percentages, 20/x4 actually outdamages 18-20/x2 on average.

18-20/x2: 100 -> 400, +300 damage, 300 x 79% = 237

20/x4 weapon: 100 -> 600, +500 damage, 500 x 49% = 245

But you didn't think it would end there, did you? Check this out, I tested Perfect Strike, Brilliant Inspiration and Fortune hex all together:

scythe.jpg

Yeah, that's right. I'm rolling FIVE DICE and taking the highest. Of course PS only lasts for one hit, and BI decays once you get a 20. But still. This is nuts. Don't ask me how this works - I'm getting an extra die from somewhere.

This means, for situations where you are really stacking the dice and trying your best to get that crit off, e.g. on a boss, 20/x4 is actually better than 18-20/x2 for damage. Like, potentially way better.

Of course there are other considerations such as Outflank procs. And some bosses are immune to crits. And also having Reach is probably still the most effective way to increase your damage. But still. This is nuts.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So yeah looks like I'm rolling with scythes
If you can get crit range wide enough and advantage you can make AB/AC not matter with Bless Weapon (although Fortification becomes an issue).

Desiderius

Patron
I also use challenge against mobs that matter, which is morale to attack but I guess the +2 to saves don't hurt either way.
Seems like Lion fits better with the archetype*, and Mythic Dazzling to trigger the Good Hope so you don't need the Heroisms. Hope gives damage bonus that Heroism doesn't.

* - especially since you don't have Bard/Skald so even the spammable Competence bonus will be relevant. Even the late Shield Bonus is nice for your mount. Only problem is getting a little swift-clogged, but Charge and Demonic Charge is already kind of a nonbo. Standard Bearer Banner was always on for me in DLC and stacked with other Morale Bonuses.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Here Desiderius does this satisfy you better:

image.png

I like sword order because of the extra feat and raw bonuses to damage, the good hope last for your charisma modifier rounds, so it does happen but not for long.

Also charge and demonic charge aren't nonbo, demonic aspects give a lot of bonuses to charge, and demonic charge is good for positioning for charges.

Desiderius

Patron
Here Desiderius does this satisfy you better:

image.png
Looking good. Now get Big Game Gloves and Hampering Hex on the target and you're home free. Entangle's pretty easy too. And of course Crusader's Edge should be no brainer.

For the King/Mark of Justice for the big lulz (I know you don't have Seelah for Mark but I'd think that Lion would be perfect for that archetype).

For the King vs Deskari.jpg

I like sword order because of the extra feat and raw bonuses to damage, the good hope last for your charisma modifier rounds, so it does happen but not for long.

Also charge and demonic charge aren't nonbo, demonic aspects give a lot of bonuses to charge, and demonic charge is good for positioning for charges.
CHR modifier rnds should be rest of combat. Move with Demonic, Mythic Dazzle with Standard = debuff bad guys/buff team. Swift For the King and go off. Plus the early ability can just be spammed pre-combat.

You can Move teleport with Demonic and still Charge as Standard? Lol I guess. I've been using Demonic to jump into heat of battle. I thought Haplo was using Swift teleport because Charge is Full Action outside of surprise round.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Nobility domain is what catches my eye there, maybe I could take that on Sosiel.
Reg can get it, and his Aura is more stacking Morale. Both also buff AC. Plus his dialogue is a lot better. Sos has his hands full with Advantage/Touch of Good already.

Inspiring is mind-affecting, and doesn't stack with other Insight Bonuses (like True Strike). Chainmail of Dragonfly is +2 Insight AB and does stack.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Another thing: I thought Wide Sweep worked in a very wide area of effect? It's only 5ft. according to the tooltip. That's really small.
Yes, its rather small. Might have been more on release, but it's been fixed/nerfed. Still a very powerful effect that absolutely decimates some encounters.
Apparently there is some unusual interaction with Cleave/Great Cleave? Not sure what it is but it would be troublesome for me to get Great Cleave. Or to get Cleave/Cleaving Finish early

Nothing that unusual (although maybe there was on release).
Its just that with tightly packed enemies each strike is damaging everyone around... and with cleaving finish/improved... there's even more pain to spread. This tends to cascade a bit, particularly when you get some crits in.

Mobility and Wide Sweep:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So this is weird. I'm seeing a +4 Untyped damage bonus vs a prone enemy here. Dunno where it's coming from. Only my cavalier is getting it.

This was always the case, since Kingmaker, Yosh.
Prone means -4 AC vs melee attacks (and +4 AC vs ranged).

Desiderius

Patron
Caster Pal Seelah (sort of) getting there:

Seelah Arrow.jpg
Seelah 13 debuff.jpg

AoE Sicken is relatively rare effect. Whisper also buffs Good characters (MC and Sosiel):

Whisper bonus.jpg

Tank Seelah definitely getting there (-14 malus lol):

Tank Seelah big malus.jpg

Check out the phat intiative. Pics still on Hard. Can now buff her Archon's by 4 DC and other spells by 2 with items from Labyrinth.

Yosharian

Arcane
Man, this guy on Reddit put me on full blast. Had to write a novel to defend my builds. It's my own fault I guess, I should have done the descriptions so that people understand them.

Checking my phone at 3AM was such a huge mistake sigh

Humbaba

Arcane
Very happy to see that performance in Alushinyrra has been noticeably and greatly improved.

The Camellia romance so far is pretty smutty and cringe. More so than Wenduag's romance even.

Trickster feat Mobility 2 is actually quite fantastic, if you're willing to do the microing to make most of it. My vivisectionist only gets 2 attacks a round so in between swinging, I can just have him move in an out of engagement range like a yoyo and trigger sneak attack aoo's on the enemy, vastly increasing the effective number of attacks. It also means that he can safely run through any melee front line to get at the enemy mage or archer, while also getting to slash at people's ankles as he sprints past.

FreeKaner

My charge immediately tripping a Vavakia because he failed an intimidate check on my attack thus CMB targetting his flatfooted AC is really funny chain of interactions. I am sure it is not meant to be this way on tabletop and the flatfoot only applies on next attack after but I am not going to complain, Cavalier needs some help anyway.

Yosharian

Arcane
My charge immediately tripping a Vavakia because he failed an intimidate check on my attack thus CMB targetting his flatfooted AC is really funny chain of interactions. I am sure it is not meant to be this way on tabletop and the flatfoot only applies on next attack after but I am not going to complain, Cavalier needs some help anyway.

Cavalier needs some help anyway.

:philosoraptor:

Desiderius

Patron
Vanilla is missing some things but gives you others. TTT/Dark Codex has tabletop Shatter where you have to hit full AC to turn it on but also Mythic Shatter where one character can do it for whole team. And since turning it on requires that full AC hit you kind of need to.

Opens up a lot of Feats for companions with classes that need them.

Desiderius

Patron

People get thrown off by classes where you can’t see everything you get on the original sheet.

FreeKaner

The class is not bad, but somewhat too reliant on charge in a game where charge is janky as hell. There are other classes out there who do as much attack & damage as cavalier on regular full attacks without needing to charge. I have to admit though the mighty charge interaction with shatter defenses is exceeding my expectations. As such demon actually synergizes really well with it too, because of aspect of schir and kalavakus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom