Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Saying the Str modifier its a small part of overall damage is rather bold.
And wider crit range in a vacuum is the same damage increase as increased crit multiplier of bows.

Of course, we don't live in a vacuum, plus Mythic Improved Critical is a thing, so the extra teamwork procs and Mythic Critical are a small plus for crossbows.
What it means is that you're not getting the same bang for the buck on STR-bonus that you would on two-handed melee or things like Elk/Bismuth (!) because you don't get the Power Attack multipliers at range.

Strong Bismuth.jpg

When I said do the math I meant it literally since we can see the damage breakdowns now. I’ve been disappointed on Aru xBow damage before but so maybe Yosharian is right.

Yosharian

Arcane
Looks like they hotfixed GMW stacking with existing bonuses. Which is weird because I never saw a patch go live and yet it's not working now

Edit: wait never mind it is working now and persisting through a reload. Weird...

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Good news everybody, you actually DO get to kill your companions, but only the good aligned ones plus Big Reg. They all die in 2 hits. Ember saying that she still loved me hit me right in the feels though.

Swarm even makes Threshold a cakewalk. Not even Robertson is a threat.

obvv39r.png

OwO whats this, never seen or heard of this before. Is it not mentioned because its useless (doesn't combine well with anything?) and I just never noticed it? Or is this something new?

Humbaba

Arcane
obvv39r.png

OwO whats this, never seen or heard of this before. Is it not mentioned because its useless (doesn't combine well with anything?) and I just never noticed it? Or is this something new?

Think it's new actually, I also just noticed it on my most recent and current playthrough.

Another thing I've noticed is that they buffed the shit out of the Storyteller at threshold. He's now slinging spells left and right and polymorphing vavakias and shit, before all he did was cast piercing scream and die.

On further consideration I guess that feat isn't THAT good. If you want more reach on a normal weapon you can just take Ex weapon prof: Fauchard to get reach and a better weapon at the same time. So this is only useful either if:

A. You already have a reach weapon and want 15' reach. Which... reach is great but this feels excessive if you're already buffing size. Maybe it's great if you want more reach but you're instead minimizing size either for the dex/AC or to ride a pet.
B. You are specifically building a character around using a specific non-reach unique weapon. Which I find incredibly metagamey and would never do, though I'm guessing a lot of people in this thread do it.

Yosharian

Arcane
Finished the Midnight Isles, finally. Well, the Act 3 part anyway. What a fucking terrible DLC. So. Fucking. Boring.

If it wasn't for the phat loot I would not have done any of this retarded shit.

Anyway, I started Blackwater. Is this meant to be what everyone has been complaining about this whole time? These guys are fucking easy.

Presumably it gets much more difficult further in? Otherwise I am really struggling to see what the fuss is about.

Desiderius

Patron
On further consideration I guess that feat isn't THAT good. If you want more reach on a normal weapon you can just take Ex weapon prof: Fauchard to get reach and a better weapon at the same time. So this is only useful either if:

A. You already have a reach weapon and want 15' reach. Which... reach is great but this feels excessive if you're already buffing size. Maybe it's great if you want more reach but you're instead minimizing size either for the dex/AC or to ride a pet.
B. You are specifically building a character around using a specific non-reach unique weapon. Which I find incredibly metagamey and would never do, though I'm guessing a lot of people in this thread do it.
It helps non-reach attacks (like Raptor claws for instance) acquire new targets without moving, so you can kill multiple things with one full attack.

It was always available to Urban Hunter archetype. Is it now just a vanilla Feat?

Desiderius

Patron
Finished the Midnight Isles, finally. Well, the Act 3 part anyway. What a fucking terrible DLC. So. Fucking. Boring.

Anyway, I started Blackwater. Is this meant to be what everyone has been complaining about this whole time? These guys are fucking easy.

Presumably it gets much more difficult further in? Otherwise I am really struggling to see what the fuss is about.
It was originally bugged so that mobs were Lightning-immune, which didn’t go so well with Lightning being one of the two things that can turn off their regen.

It’s easy for you because you saved it for last. Not so easy for people who go there as soon as it unlocks.

IllusiveBrian

Novice

A lot of people don't understand how regeneration works, so there's that. Even if they understand how it works they may not put two and two together with getting a call lighting wand before the first fight and every enemy dropping shock weapons. On my first playthrough the demon mob's AC felt high, although either they nerfed it or on subsequent playthroughs I've just made better parties.

It helps non-reach attacks (like Raptor claws for instance) acquire new targets without moving, so you can kill multiple things with one full attack.

It was always available to Urban Hunter archetype. Is it now just a vanilla Feat?

Yeah I guess it works for stuff like Bite/claw/etc builds. Seems hilariously inappropriate to have 10 foot range on those.

It does seem to be a vanilla feat, only requirement is BAB 6.

Desiderius

Patron

Yeah I guess it works for stuff like Bite/claw/etc builds. Seems hilariously inappropriate to have 10 foot range on those.

It does seem to be a vanilla feat, only requirement is BAB 6.
The one thing that had it in P:K was that Athach in Lothlorn. It was a real pain because casters half a screen away would trigger AoOs and he hit HARD. Probably good with a Disruptive Fighter or Arcane Bloodline Bloodrager.

Fauchard is fine but costs a Feat and selection is limited/expensive. Wider Sweep seems good or just Greater Axe.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Greater Kalavakus Marauder has 59 AC, that's really not that high and flat-footed it's 43, my dudes are hitting that on a 2 or better. Granted I am level 14 but even at level 9 I was destroying Blightmaw with exactly the same tactic. I don't see the issue.

Well, I'll push on and see what happens deeper in.

Desiderius

Patron
There’s a difference between spiking on a boss and fighting a roomful of dudes with those stats, or more to the point several rooms.

Yosharian

Arcane
Fuck me this is Kingmaker swarms all over again. Not only was Blackwater not very challenging, but it was actually really fun. Compared to the Midnight Isles this place is fucking heaven. At least it's interesting.

It boggles my mind that people complain about this place like it's another HATEOT or something.

Side note, Dimensional Ride is turning out to be the best thing ever.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yeah, its also really good for small/tiny Dex melees. Helps eliminate their biggest weakness.

And yeah, the feat being limited to level 12 Urban Hunters before was clearly a bug.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
obvv39r.png

Think it's new actually, I also just noticed it on my most recent and current playthrough.
Its not new, but it was bugged to be locked behind a single archetype of an unpopular class.

Humbaba

Arcane
After 413 hours my very last playthrough has ended and now I'm officially done with the game. Swarm is very cool, sadly it's also kinda half baked like all late game paths. It's also completely OP, which is nice, I don't think any other rpg let's you be that fucking overpowered as to rival godmode.

I have now no reason to post in this thread anymore. Goodbye!

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Greater Kalavakus Marauder has 59 AC, that's really not that high and flat-footed it's 43, my dudes are hitting that on a 2 or better. Granted I am level 14 but even at level 9 I was destroying Blightmaw with exactly the same tactic. I don't see the issue.

Before the DLC3 you could only be lvl13 at Blackwater, and only if you did it last, exept the Ivory Sanctum.
Most people did it at 11/12 because they had no idea and 2 levels is a yuuuuge difference (and also it was nerfed compared to release).
(Also now there's the DLC1/DLC3 items).

On my first playthrough the demon mob's AC felt high, although either they nerfed it or on subsequent playthroughs I've just made better parties.

They were nerfed, even if i don't know what kind of nerf.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Before the DLC3 you could only be lvl13 at Blackwater, and only if you did it last, exept the Ivory Sanctum.
Most people did it at 11/12 because they had no idea and 2 levels is a yuuuuge difference (and also it was nerfed compared to release).

I've now only started playing DLC3 for the first time (in Act IV).
And on 2 last characters I've only went to Blackwater after level 14.
Why make it more difficult then necessary?

Finish most of the Act content, Ivory Sanctum and only then go to Blackwater...

Yosharian

Arcane
I still don't think it's that hard for level 12. It's basic tank and spank using Shatter Defenses to beat their AC.

If you aren't using SD then that's perfectly ok but you have no right to complain about enemy AC. Just lower the difficulty.

As I said I was beating this kind of AC at level 9, it doesn't make THAT much difference.

Let's be honest people complained about it because they didn't know how to deal with regeneration.

Yosharian

Arcane
Grunker check out this bite build from Reddit

Primalist 10(Serpentine/Draconic)/Mutation Warrior 5(Natural Weapon Training)/Sohei 1/Crossblooded Sorcerer 1(Serpentine/Draconic)/Dragon Disciple 2/Oracle 1(Nature's Whispers/Wolf Scared Face)

I don't really understand the Draconic bloodline though, maybe he doesn't know about the DD bug where you don't need one

Yosharian

Arcane
Some tweaking I think this is a better build:

Motherless Tiefling race (+1 bite)
Close to the Abyss mythic ability (+1 gore)
Mutation Warrior 9: Feral Mutagen (+1 bite), Weapon Training for two weapon types (Natural + any weapon), Feral Wings
Sohei 1: (+1 attack from Flurry)
Stigmatized Witch 1: Iceplant hex & Lizard familiar (+5 AC with ring), Wolf-Scarred Face (+3 bites)
Bloodrager 1: Serpentine bloodline (+1 bite)
Crossblooded 1: Serpentine bloodline (+1 bite), Draconic bloodline (access to DD)
Dragon Disciple 2: Dragon bite (+1 bite), +2 STR, +1 AC
Instinctual Warrior 4: WIS-to-AC, Uncanny Dodge (I wonder if Demonic Rage turns on both rages?), Animal Fury rage power (+1 bite)
Demonslayer 1: FE - Evil Outsiders
TWF Daggers: 4 attacks (BAB 16) + 5 offhand attacks (Hasty Eradicator)
Haste (+1 attack)
Extra Rage Power: Lesser Fiend Totem (+1 gore)

Total: 22 attacks per round

Now I just need to figure out how to tag something nasty onto these attacks to make them actually hurt...

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

I've now only started playing DLC3 for the first time (in Act IV).
And on 2 last characters I've only went to Blackwater after level 14.
Why make it more difficult then necessary?

Finish most of the Act content, Ivory Sanctum and only then go to Blackwater...

What are you trying to say here, he was wondering why people complained about Blackwater difficulty, what's "fake news" in what I said?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom