Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
right around launch

Playing Owlcat games at launch and complaining about bugs is like parking your ferrari in the hood and complaining that it gets stolen

I completed that place at release week as an Azata, with a heavy melee party, without much problems. Only last boss bugged 2 times but other than that I killed everything smoothly.
Game had a much better release than Kingmaker's, though that's not really an achievement.

I played Kingmaker after 6 months and then again after a year, and the 1 year after release of Kingmaker was significantly less buggy than my current playthrough of Wrath. So many things are just simply not working with my builds (or work differently than they should). I constantly have issues like my Sohei losing and gaining attacks.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Holemaker is much more interesting than anything else, but still, it's not exactly insane damage is it.
+50% damage not good enough for you?

Of course need to trigger it first... but 3 chances to trigger are better then 1.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Holemaker is much more interesting than anything else, but still, it's not exactly insane damage is it. And I just don't see how this guy is staying alive in melee unless he's mounted.

In my experience Reach and Last Stand is enough. It's not like mounts add that much survivability anyway.
You seem to have no idea...

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Holemaker is much more interesting than anything else, but still, it's not exactly insane damage is it. And I just don't see how this guy is staying alive in melee unless he's mounted.

In my experience Reach and Last Stand is enough. It's not like mounts add that much survivability anyway.
Yeah I can't say I agree with your statement there Grunk, mounts are fucking OP

Yosharian

Arcane
Holemaker is much more interesting than anything else, but still, it's not exactly insane damage is it.
+50% damage not good enough for you?

Of course need to trigger it first... but 3 chances to trigger are better then 1.
Hmm ok you got me curious. Where do you get Holemaker, again?

Edit: hmm apparently it's in Act 4. I guess it could work, shield bash TWF is so feat intensive though

Edit2: nah this is shit. Bites/Gores count as multiple damage types and thus... wait for it... benefit from NOTHING when vulnerability to piercing is applied.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah I can't say I agree with your statement there Grunk, mounts are fucking OP

Educate me, senpais

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Let's be honest people complained about it because they didn't know how to deal with regeneration.
It was quite hard to deal with regeneration when most of the things that were supposed to deal with it didn't work and the only thing that actually stopped it were adamantite weapons, of which you would be lucky to have found 2 by that point, and then had the random foresight to bring them along.

And at the time most people haven't yet figured out/come to terms with how ridiculously overbloated AC would get in the game, so no one was thinking of building daisy chains of half a dozen feats just to be able to hit things. Before blackwater, the standard D&D vidya gnome plan of wear good gear, cast some basic buffs plus haste worked on everything. And going there early in the chapter was the wall where the full extent of owlscat's autism dawned on you.

That is not mentioning that the place was indeed nerfed since launch.
When MWG stacked that also turned off the regen.

Yosharian

Arcane
A mount can quite easily get 80+ AC lategame and it's possible to boost their saves significantly. And they have automatic Evasion

IllusiveBrian

Novice
Edit2: nah this is shit. Bites/Gores count as multiple damage types and thus... wait for it... benefit from NOTHING when vulnerability to piercing is applied.

Well yeah, piercing and piercing/slashing/blunt are two different types of damage. You gotta think like a computer man.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sooo some conclusions from initial testing:

1. MW 9 is not worth it. You don't get to benefit from Flurry twice. MW 7 might be viable...
I'm kind of surprised you expected this one to work that way. Flurry has always been +1 main hand attack like haste. So you'd get the benefits of a second weapon training... when you put that other weapon type in your main hand. ;)

I say kind of because you note some other weird beneficial bugs, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that you would've been right.

Yosharian

Arcane
I solved this puzzle according to the wiki (don't laugh, I fucking hate these puzzles) but nothing happens? Am I missing something?

coreoftheriddle.jpg

Edit: DUH I just saw the mistake. Godammit I HATE THESE THINGS.

Can you get to Place of Execution in Act 3?

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
A mount can quite easily get 80+ AC lategame and it's possible to boost their saves significantly. And they have automatic Evasion

(and Haplo)

80AC will still be oneshot by the first nat 20 on Unfair due to double damage (and there will be multiple of these each enemy turn due to the high number of attacks). You really can't be in melee without Last Stand in my experience. Do you have double damage turned off, or is your experience different? I have a feeling it's either that or your builds might just be way better than mine and you kill stuff fast enough you don't get one-popped as often. Or maybe your movement is better than mine?

I'm definitely playing this game again, and when I do it'll either be with really shitty builds on Core or just on Unfair without double damage.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

(and Haplo)

80AC will still be oneshot by the first nat 20 on Unfair due to double damage (and there will be multiple of these each enemy turn due to the high number of attacks). You really can't be in melee without Last Stand in my experience. Do you have double damage turned off, or is your experience different? I have a feeling it's either that or your builds are just way better than mine and you kill stuff fast enough you don't get one-popped as often.

I'm definetely playing this game again, and when I do it'll either be with really shitty builds on Core or just on Unfair without double damage.
Well, if you are only worried about getting hit on high rolls, chances are you're not getting hit that often and the mounted combat feat can possibly negate up to one hit per round which would significantly boost survivability.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

(and Haplo)

80AC will still be oneshot by the first nat 20 on Unfair due to double damage (and there will be multiple of these each enemy turn due to the high number of attacks). You really can't be in melee without Last Stand in my experience. Do you have double damage turned off, or is your experience different? I have a feeling it's either that or your builds are just way better than mine and you kill stuff fast enough you don't get one-popped as often.

I'm definetely playing this game again, and when I do it'll either be with really shitty builds on Core or just on Unfair without double damage.
Well, if you are only worried about getting hit on high rolls, chances are you're not getting hit that often

Not the case. There will be multiple enemy nat 20s enemy turn in most relevant fights.

and the mounted combat feat can possibly negate up to one hit per round which would significantly boost survivability.

I think Mounted Combat is bugged. I see it work very rarely.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
What’s your Mobility?

Works fine here, but only once per round. Staggered opponent only attacks once per round so you’re good.

If you’re getting attacked that much you’ve got a lot of room to improve not just on AC or rocket tag but simply using things like Difficult Terrain and Stagger/Entangle.

Desiderius

Patron
That isn't high enough.

Mounted Combat check Unfair.jpg

This is lvl 14/M4. Unfair (one-shots can happen but aren't the rule).

I have no builds. The above is a lvl 14 Vanguard Aeon Riding (lvl 11) Bismuth. TTT means I have to burn 3 Feats just to get what vanilla gets for free (Full attacks with Mount move) at 14 ranks in Mobility. One of them does let you get two Mobility checks per round.

Player movement isn't nearly as important as controlling enemy movement. Of course corpses get no moves at all. Nenio spamming Phantasmal Web is my favorite but there are a lot of options (TTT codes the Nauseate as correctly non-Poison but even the enemy only Web can be a big help).

This all applies to non-bosses. Bosses take a different approach as do unique enemy types, but those tend to come with specific weaknesses.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
What’s your Mobility?

34 and 40 on the relevant characters.

Like Desiderius wrote, this ain't anywhere close to enough to avoid hits on Unfair. It can still help avoid enemy spell effects, though.
I guess its difficult to have enough Mobility to avoid attacks on Unfair, that needs really dedicated builds (like Mobility Tricksters - but they use different mechanics).

Still, buff the mount so it has good AC, Concealment, try not to end your turns next to breathing and uncontrolled enemies... that'll go a long way.

I play rocket tag TBH. My characters don't have high AC... and mounts have only somewhat higher. But I try not to let the enemies live long enough to hurt me. Enemies generally don't survive my charges (when I can make them). CC helps too.

It's risky, I'll admit it. Sometimes I wonder if Unfair is suitable for me. But so far, I manage.

Yosharian

Arcane

(and Haplo)

80AC will still be oneshot by the first nat 20 on Unfair due to double damage (and there will be multiple of these each enemy turn due to the high number of attacks). You really can't be in melee without Last Stand in my experience. Do you have double damage turned off, or is your experience different? I have a feeling it's either that or your builds might just be way better than mine and you kill stuff fast enough you don't get one-popped as often. Or maybe your movement is better than mine?

I'm definitely playing this game again, and when I do it'll either be with really shitty builds on Core or just on Unfair without double damage.
1. Who plays with 2x damage on, that shit is fucking retarded.
2. Protective Luck makes getting Nat 20'd extremely unlikely.

Unfair is a retarded difficulty level because the extra stats that enemies get makes it very challenging and an interesting puzzle to solve for optimizers, and then the 2x damage just comes along and takes a giant diarrhea shit all over that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom