Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Delterius

Arcane
the difficulty options consist of hiring a mage general for easy mode tbh

which is even better since that thread seems consisted of people who think they can't merge soldiers into a single army or can't use their ridiculously excessive gold to strengthen the crusade. none of which they'd have to learn if they just hired setsuna shy

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

which is even better since that thread seems consisted of people who think they can't merge soldiers into a single army or can't use their ridiculously excessive gold to strengthen the crusade. none of which they'd have to learn if they just hired setsuna shy

Average gamer is retarded and only plays a game once, news at 11.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

"Difficulty is decreased if you make good decisions" is an RPG staple, but the thing about below-average/average players is that they're incapable of making good decisions unless the game outright tells them (and sometimes not even then).

Delterius

Arcane
"Difficulty is decreased if you make good decisions" is an RPG staple, but the thing about below-average/average players is that they're incapable of making good decisions unless the game outright tells them (and sometimes not even then).
true but even in the wrath subreddit it's common to make fun of someone who doesn't know the game and says it's stupid and unbalanced when they are playing on core or above.

the crusade mechanics are pretty straightforward and if you approach an rpg with the mindset that anything that isn't as barebones as bg1 is bloated with tacked on features then i dunno what to say tbh. there's even threads of people saying the mythic paths are tacked on and frustrating because it leads them to build classes a certain way. it gets to a point where you have to ask yourself if you want to play wrath or something else.

i was watching the darrah retrospective on DAI and interestingly enough that's the reason they cut the entire military aspect from the game: they felt that having your soldiers occupy the land and you fight over fortifications and such - the things they showed to hype people in pre release events - was tacked on and taking over the story they wanted to tell. and so leading the inquisition became the DAI war table. which i don't hate nearly as much as some people, i think it's good flavor. but it sure sucked ass compared to the bolder vision they initially held.

which is probably why owlcat is so interesting to me. they really don't compromise with themselves or reality. they're releasing their, what, fifth DLC and it's the first one with guaranteed mass appeal.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Crusade mode difficulty only affects resources, recruits, and keeping the game from ending if your morale gets too low. There's no way to tune the difficulty of the actual fights which would be an impenetrable barrier for a lot of people if they had kept it as is. Lot of complaints here about the difficulty as it is now, people didn't want to get filtered by an obnoxious tacked-on minigame https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...why_on_earth_are_there_no_crusade_difficulty/

Will no one think of the porr black chilluns with no internet?!? Enough of the self-defeatist Soyerist elitism.

C'mon. People look things up or go on forums and get help if they have to. In fact I think that's part of the appeal of the harder games since it forces people out of their (depressing) protective cocoons so they'll get some of the social interaction they don't know they need. Maybe they'll even end up in a special place like the Kotex and make lifelong friends and colleagues.

I give good players shit for falling for clickbait memes but they do set a floor that prevents people getting filtered like some used to back when hint lines cost 25 cents/minute (and that was real money).

Desiderius

Patron
Anybody able to get TTT to load yet? Maybe Modfinder is the problem?

ArchAngel

Arcane
The suits always wuss out. Same thing with Deadfire. Once they fixed the faceroll sales recovered.

Zoomers are whiny children but they enjoy getting together to figure out hard shit. Look at escape rooms. Gotta give ‘em a chance to do their thing.

Crusade mode difficulty only affects resources, recruits, and keeping the game from ending if your morale gets too low. There's no way to tune the difficulty of the actual fights which would be an impenetrable barrier for a lot of people if they had kept it as is. Lot of complaints here about the difficulty as it is now, people didn't want to get filtered by an obnoxious tacked-on minigame https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder...why_on_earth_are_there_no_crusade_difficulty/
That is why there are such things as difficulty levels.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't see what's the problem with crusade mode at all. All you need is a doomstack on both sides of the map and you're fine. I guess the morale mechanic was a bit vague and some people unknowingly fucked themselves over.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't see what's the problem with crusade mode at all. All you need is a doomstack on both sides of the map and you're fine. I guess the morale mechanic was a bit vague and some people unknowingly fucked themselves over.
The problem is that it is too easy and for braindead people.

Desiderius

Patron
Crusade mode is repetitive, boring, and not challenging.
HoMM is proof of concept. They undermined themselves with the faceroll. Many such cases.

Turns out you only need one.

As for the whiners, people lie.

Especially to themselves. Only spergs/children believe them and even children start to catch on at a young age if their parents didn’t pay for an expensive education to fry their brains.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

Average gamer is retarded and only plays a game once, news at 11.
Average gamers buy what great gamers tell them to. Make great games for great gamers and rake big cash for your suits.

Win-win-win-win

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do the regular difficulty settings actually affect crusade battles? I don't know, but if so, it would be annoying to have to keep switching back and forth all the time, and if they're already playing on the easiest setting then there is no hope.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Do the regular difficulty settings actually affect crusade battles? I don't know, but if so, it would be annoying to have to keep switching back and forth all the time, and if they're already playing on the easiest setting then there is no hope.
I don't think they do since Crusade has its own difficulty option which is basically crap.

skaraher

Cipher
Also 70% of crusade relic are garbage and some of them are grossly overpowered, and you won't guess which ones without meta knowledge.

I decided to stock up stoneskin and greater invisilibity scroll to clear the gargoyle. I also have a dimension door-Mass just in case to revert to good ol' cheese if the plan go awry. :smug:

skaraher

Cipher

Your gold is best spent buying items from the ridiculous inventory of the DLC Chaplain (which reset at each act) to fully equip your party with +5 and +6 items. :smug:

:balance::mca:

Part of the reason why Act 2 is the last challenging part of the game and in Act 3 you mostly watch numbers go up and ennemies explode in various ways.

Desiderius

Patron
Also 70% of crusade relic are garbage and some of them are grossly overpowered, and you won't guess which ones without meta knowledge.

I decided to stock up stoneskin and greater invisilibity scroll to clear the gargoyle. I also have a dimension door-Mass just in case to revert to good ol' cheese if the plan go awry. :smug:
Bane of Spirit is the only one grossly overpowered, but only on TB I think, plus it's a pain to activate a zillion times a turn, and the HP payment has gotten a couple dudes killed.

Damage packets OP (Eye for an Eye and Tribal Armor) but that's a bug. They're basically more buildarounds than you could ever try out but there's not time to get them all anyway so you pick and choose a few each playthrough. That's a good thing. Could use less redundancy granted.

As for cave Gargs aren't Demons so don't have Demon Immunities....

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
if they're already playing on the easiest setting then there is no hope.
Jesus, this is what happens when people* don't have kids. They're acting like children they should be treated the same way. If you reward whining you get *more*, not less. They're not helpless idiots they're sociopathic griefers who enjoy jerking devs around and getting them to wreck their games because devs are spergs who don't get social dynamics.

How did D:OS I and II sell for Larian? You think this hypothetical idiot could handle Voidwoken fight? Alexander/Wurm? *Ship battle* for God's sake?

But, but they'll ragequit and give us bad reviews! You think D:OS I was easy? They bought D:OS II didn't they?

* - and every other species of organic life, it's not some déclassé lifestyle choice

skaraher

Cipher

Bane of Spirit is the only one grossly overpowered, but only on TB I think, plus it's a pain to activate a zillion times a turn, and the HP payment has gotten a couple dudes killed.

Damage packets OP (Eye for an Eye and Tribal Armor) but that's a bug. They're basically more buildarounds than you could ever try out but there's not time to get them all anyway so you pick and choose a few each playthrough. That's a good thing. Could use less redundancy granted.

As for cave Gargs aren't Demons so don't have Demon Immunities....
I was also thinking of the x6 Maximize rod (Was it Twisted Sensation ?) that you can get at the very beginning of the act. Also Rovagug greataxe is generally considered as very good.

Gargs don't have daemon immunity but they have immunity to Grease and Web, which severely limit CC ability.

Desiderius

Patron
Those are first and second level spells, and they're not enemies only either. A nightmare in the cave. Cave is lvl 7. Even subpar Bards and Skalds (and your gishes) have 3rd level spells by then. Cam has a very special one that other Divine classes don't get.

Read your spellbook.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
if they're already playing on the easiest setting then there is no hope.
Jesus, this is what happens when people* don't have kids. They're acting like children they should be treated the same way. If you reward whining you get *more*, not less. They're not helpless idiots they're sociopathic griefers who enjoy jerking devs around and getting them to wreck their games because devs are spergs who don't get social dynamics.

How did D:OS I and II sell for Larian? You think this hypothetical idiot could handle Voidwoken fight? Alexander/Wurm? *Ship battle* for God's sake?

But, but they'll ragequit and give us bad reviews! You think D:OS I was easy? They bought D:OS II didn't they?

* - and every other species of organic life, it's not some déclassé lifestyle choice
A lot of people genuinely have difficulty understanding role playing games, e.g. Josh Sawyer's QA testers, people paid to test games for a living https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...te-march-expansion-thread.100006/post-4409223

Looking at the achievements 12% have completed Wrathfinder, but only 1.6% have completed it on Core or higher. A tiny minority are Pathfinder experts who would believe the game isn't hard enough (these would be people who populate gaming forums).

People who play the D:OS games can set the difficulty to suit their own level of skill and not suddenly get blocked by a mandatory minigame with a large set of new things to comprehend in order to succeed.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The issue with Crusader mode is that it is a badly designed "HOMM game". The council stuff are fine, I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it in KM. Big issue is that there is fundamentally no interesting decision being made in the tactical crusade mode regardless of difficulty. I didn't even get Mage General until my 3rd one in Ch 5. In HOMM against high difficulty AI or another person, your turn to turn, where to go, what to build, etc matters. There is no such thing in tactical Crusade mode. If you hit a wall, you skip days. That's it. The reward for doing well is probably being able to get sekrit ending and that's that. The "events" stuff are kinda nice on paper but who give a fuck if you got 10 Monk from event when the game is balanced around using stack of hundreds to kill stuff? And as heroes/generals have deployment limit on stack, you ended up parking them and just cluttering the UI.

OMG I got a cool Silver Dragon from the event. Wait there is no way to increase its number besides using Chapter 5 Tactical Spells that has 30 days cooldown?

Looking at the achievements 12% have completed Wrathfinder, but only 1.6% have completed it on Core or higher. A tiny minority are Pathfinder experts who would believe the game isn't hard enough (these would be people who populate gaming forums).

People who play the D:OS games can set the difficulty to suit their own level of skill and not suddenly get blocked by a mandatory minigame with a large set of new things to comprehend in order to succeed.

Can someone clarify how exactly the difficulty related achievements work? Is it the kind of thing where if you touch the difficulty even once during a campaign you lose any difficulty-based achievement, or if you set it back before the end of the game it will trigger the achievement? I ask because often even if a game is well-balanced I'll end up decreasing difficulty just to get through very long and tedious areas quicker. If that invalidates achievements then these stats really aren't a great metric. I'd guess that a lot of people did this in the almost universally reviled HatEoT for Kingmaker. I didn't just because my party was vastly overpowered at that point but I'm sure lots of people were like "fuck it I just want to see the ending".

Also remember that custom difficulty will mess up your achievement metrics. In fact I think every game I've started with Wrath has been on a custom difficulty, it's only my first game of Kingmaker where I stuck to straight core rules the whole time. And I'm still not sure that I didn't touch the difficulty at least once sometime in that first campaign, even if not with then intent to make the game easier but just because sometimes a button looks interesting to press during the course of a 60-80 hour game. EDIT: Actually, I never played on core rules because I always had character retraining on. And if you play on below core you have to have "auto level up" on for companions, I'm guessing 90% of players playing below core end up turning that off because that's just dumb. So yeah, any kind of difficulty-related stats are worthless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom