Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hmm a crusading mounted inquisitor sounds badarse.
Can I still melee effectively with a Sacred Huntsmaster, pick heavy armour and dualclass into hellknight? Or maybe hellknight signifer just to the free proficiency, though the lack of a key ability is a downside.
Dunno why Owlcat forgot to put that in.

Can I do Law Domain as a Sacred Huntmaster and still do the cheese strat?

Sure you can. I'd definately skip Signifier though, it brings nothing of value here (guess keeps inquisitor spell progression... but you'll eventually get those spells, in limited quantities and slower progression, as an Aeon).
Unless you install the mod that brings Catechesis. Then it could be worth it (but then I'd go with Sanctified Slayer, which is IMO better).

And yes, you can use Law Domain and pick Impossible Domain: Animal. In fact both inquisitors of apropriate deities and Godclaw Hellknights can access the Law Domain.
Though while it has its uses, its not the strongest one (mostly used on Trickster Mythic Path, of all things - to generate auto-crits on "11").
I guess its decent for heavy-duty tanking. If the enemy can't hit your tank with "11", you can ensure its misses.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Hmm, so new plan -
Same idea as before, except with a Sacred Huntsmaster of Asmodeus, pick up heavy armour, pick up Impossible Domain : Animal, 10 levels into hellknight for those armor buffs and axiomic weapons, do Aeon path, do Devil path, purge heretics along the way.

A pity about the Hellknight Signifer, but if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Maybe I'll do some variation of wizard or magus into signifer and become a lich for another run

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Might want to invest in Intimidation with the HK AND Inquisitor bonuses (Charisma for it and Smite Chaos, Intimidating Prowess focus with Str focus), Fearsomeness Discipline from Hellknight.
Then Weapon Focus, Dazzling Display, Shatter Defenses, Power Attack, optionally Cornugon Smash, maybe Dreadful Carnage. And Combat Reflexes & Ever Ready Mythic Ability.

Aarwolf

Learned
Do Westerners not have glasses?

I know that in Moscovia that must me groundbreaking idea, but here we like playing our games from comfy couches on our 70+'' TV's. And that's why we have wireless keyboards and mouses or gamepads for plebeians.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Sanctified Slayer could make a fine sword & board character.
No it wouldn't, unless you're willing to wait until level 16 for the good combat style feats. I wanted this exact build and tested it in my last run (that predictably completely bugged out), the archetype is either bugged or shit by design.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
No it wouldn't, unless you're willing to wait until level 16 for the good combat style feats. I wanted this exact build and tested it in my last run (that predictably completely bugged out), the archetype is either bugged or shit by design.
Yeah, you don't get good Combat Style access and need high Dex for bonus offhand attacks (and mostly pick them with regular feats), but hey, bonus talents/feats are bonus feats, right? Still helpful.
As well as sneak attacks and Studied Target bonuses for both hands - also offhand shield bash attacks.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Ah, so its voluntary? As in, we don't have to do submit data. That's good.

Are you going to add Catechism to the Hellknight Signifer? The lack of it kind of makes that class pointless in both in terms of gameplay and lore.
There is not much of an incentive to be a divine caster and a signifer, as you lose so much of your progression without that key ability. Which is a pity, because it seems that lorewise clerics do become signifers.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, you don't get good Combat Style access and need high Dex for bonus offhand attacks (and mostly pick them with regular feats), but hey, bonus talents/feats are bonus feats, right? Still helpful.
As well as sneak attacks and Studied Target bonuses for both hands - also offhand shield bash attacks.
Yeah, but inquisitor gets the good shield bashing stuff through normal feats late as well, so I envisioned that first combat style feat as a cornerstone of my build. Just warning people about it, even though it's likely that it is shit by design (and not like it being a bug changes anything in case of wotr).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, but inquisitor gets the good shield bashing stuff through normal feats late as well, so I envisioned that first combat style feat as a cornerstone of my build. Just warning people about it, even though it's likely that it is shit by design (and not like it being a bug changes anything in case of wotr).

Well, definately by design. The special Combat Style feats can only be taken on Slayer Talent levels (and you need to follow their progression if you want access to the higher Tier ones). Which Sanctified Slayer only gets at level 8.... and then 16, 17 and 20.
Can still spend those Talents on Combat Tricks, Weapon Focus, Unbalancing Trick, Intimidating Prowess or something.

Max Damage

Savant
ngqimYG.png
:shredder:

Gargaune

Arcane
Hey guys.
EULA wasn't updated recently, and here you can find all the relevant info:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1184370/discussions/0/3464975249574323150/
In a nutshell, the only information we collect is voluntarily submitted reports from our players, including their computer specs, cause we need them to sort out the bugs.
Thanks for pitching in here, it's appreciated. So I take it that the EULA's terms have always been the same, but you chose to get explicit user approval post-launch? Two questions:

1) Could you confirm that, per your post above, your game does not ever transmit any user data unless at the point the user elects to submit a bug report?

2) Could you provide a link to the EULA that one may consult prior to purchase? I'm having a little trouble tracking it down on the GOG or Steam storefronts, I might like to give it a skim for myself when I have time.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
So here's what I'm thinking -
Since this is a game about going on crusade, I'm going to assume fanaticism is going to be appropriate. Which means some warhammer level of purging.
So, with that in mind :

Champion of the Faith archetype,
Deity : Asmodeus (for the mace, also edgy devil boi)
Spec into Hellknight Signifier, join Order of the Godclaw
Take Aeon Path, then Devil path

Commit war crimes along the way.

That should make a sufficiently edgy boi whilst still being somewhat logical thematically.
I wanted to go Zon Kuthon but Godclaw doesn't cover him and if I'm playing a crusading fanatical warrior priest I might as well go Godclaw.

I like your game plan in theory.
Although personally I'd hesitate before nerfing my character by going on an inferior late-game path.
Like Cyberarmy wrote, Aeon itself can be very much a "Judge Dread" type character. And late game Aeon is insanely strong (though it starts slow).
For Aeon - and particularly non-inquistitor Aeon - I recommend installing TableTop Tweaks mod - including the Mythic Reworks module. Otherwise the Aeon Bane is a very limited resource for non-inquisitors.

Mechanics-wise, Warpriest is one of the classes that really reward staying (mostly) pure.
Your weapon damage, Smite damage, Blessing effects all scale based on class levels.
So going for HK Signifier would be a purely RP choice, resulting in a weaker character overall.
There's a mod that adds the missing Catechesis Signifier class feature - that could at least allow to continue progressing Domains on an inquisitor / cleric or Mysteries on an Oracle. But I doubt it works for Warpriest Blessings, much less CotF Smite.

Although now that I think about it, there is a bit of anti-synergy with your class and path choice. Both Aeon and Warpriest invividually have crowded Swift Action economy (Aeon Bane, Swift Action regular and Aeon Mythic Spells, Fervor Swift Action Spells, Swift Blessings, Smite). Adding the 2 together means you will be unable to use half of your best features in most fights (and by the time your battle-ready, most battles will be mostly over).
Also, it may not be a huge issue, but there will be a large overlap between your class and Mythic Path spellbooks. Although spells from Mythic spellbook will be gained much later and will scale much slower.

As much as it pains me to write this, as I love BOTH your class and path choice, I recommend that you either change the class - maybe to a Judgement-less inquisitor (to avoid overcrowding Swift Actions) - like a Sanctified Slayer OR the Mythic Path (lich would have a different vibe - and to realize its full potential you should be a full arcane caster and merge the spellbooks for hyper-speed spell and Caster Level progression - but its definately not lacking).
Alternatively do some martial Godclaw Hellknight character, obligatory with Fearsomeness Discipline to make the enemies scared shitless when you engage them

Alright, alright, alright you phaggots need me to come in and save you from the negative theorycrafting demon again.

Let's look at Hellknight Signifier:

Signifier Orders.jpg

Signifier Abilities.jpg

Why would I even want to play it?

(1) It gives you a Hellknight Order. This is the distinguishing feature of the Prestige Class.

That includes the (a) Godclaw Order AoE Morale bonus to AC/AB/Dam that Reg gets. Morale AC is very rare. Morale AC that's AoE and scales to +3 and also effects AB and Damage is nuts.

(b) Scourge ability is no save/SR and scales to -4. (c) Chain scales to +4 CMB if you want to doing Haplo tripping shenanigans. (d) At fifth level Nail gives +4/+4 passive versus Demons. (e) Rack ability triggers on crits and DC scales by lvl instead of lvl/2.

(2) Unlike Magus you can cast in Heavy at character level 6 (more like 7 since that's when you get Armor Mastery).

(3) Unlike EK you get full spell progression. Let me repeat: FULL SPELL PROGRESSION.

(4) Also unlike Magus you get Armor Training which is effectively straight up AC and you lose speed penalty.

(5) Other stuff is ok but anything that duplicates a spell frees up a spell slot and also lives through Dispel effects. (6) Untyped Persuasion bonus may be relevant.

Only downside is pretty narrow playstyle that can take full advantage, but if all the retard EK Gishes would play Signifier instead I think they'd have a much more satisfying experience.

If you want your takes to suck less:

Read and test

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Since this is a game about going on crusade, I'm going to assume fanaticism is going to be appropriate. Which means some warhammer level of purging.
So, with that in mind :

That should make a sufficiently edgy boi whilst still being somewhat logical thematically.
I wanted to go Zon Kuthon but Godclaw doesn't cover him and if I'm playing a crusading fanatical warrior priest I might as well go Godclaw.

Although personally I'd hesitate before nerfing my character by going on an inferior late-game path.
Like Cyberarmy wrote, Aeon itself can be very much a "Judge Dread" type character. And late game Aeon is insanely strong (though it starts slow).
For Aeon - and particularly non-inquistitor Aeon - I recommend installing TableTop Tweaks mod - including the Mythic Reworks module. Otherwise the Aeon Bane is a very limited resource for non-inquisitors.

Mechanics-wise, Warpriest is one of the classes that really reward staying (mostly) pure.
Your weapon damage, Smite damage, Blessing effects all scale based on class levels.
So going for HK Signifier would be a purely RP choice, resulting in a weaker character overall.
There's a mod that adds the missing Catechesis Signifier class feature - that could at least allow to continue progressing Domains on an inquisitor / cleric or Mysteries on an Oracle. But I doubt it works for Warpriest Blessings, much less CotF Smite.

Although now that I think about it, there is a bit of anti-synergy with your class and path choice. Both Aeon and Warpriest invividually have crowded Swift Action economy (Aeon Bane, Swift Action regular and Aeon Mythic Spells, Fervor Swift Action Spells, Swift Blessings, Smite). Adding the 2 together means you will be unable to use half of your best features in most fights (and by the time your battle-ready, most battles will be mostly over).
Also, it may not be a huge issue, but there will be a large overlap between your class and Mythic Path spellbooks. Although spells from Mythic spellbook will be gained much later and will scale much slower.

As much as it pains me to write this, as I love BOTH your class and path choice, I recommend that you either change the class - maybe to a Judgement-less inquisitor (to avoid overcrowding Swift Actions) - like a Sanctified Slayer OR the Mythic Path (lich would have a different vibe - and to realize its full potential you should be a full arcane caster and merge the spellbooks for hyper-speed spell and Caster Level progression - but its definately not lacking).
Alternatively do some martial Godclaw Hellknight character, obligatory with Fearsomeness Discipline to make the enemies scared shitless when you engage them.

Did you try Devil before calling it inferior to Aeon? It keeps all aeon abilities and spells, and Devil abilities on paper looks very good.
Also Aeon bane is just a toggle, not a switft action, and I never found myself out of Bane rounds at least during my playthrough without being an inquisitor.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So, with that in mind :

Alternatively do some martial Godclaw Hellknight character, obligatory with Fearsomeness Discipline to make the enemies scared shitless when you engage them.

Did you try Devil before calling it inferior to Aeon? It keeps all aeon abilities and spells, and Devil abilities on paper looks very good.
Also Aeon bane is just a toggle, not a switft action, and I never found myself out of Bane rounds at least during my playthrough without being an inquisitor.

I did not. However it switches the path just as the Aeon becomes brokenly strong. I've never seen anyone before claim that going Aeon -> Devil isn't a nerf power-wise.

As for Bane, sounds like your using mods, perhaps TTT Reworks. Vanilla Bane is Swift action. Also quite limited in rounds when you're not an inquisitor.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
So, with that in mind :

I did not. However it switches the path just as the Aeon becomes brokenly strong. I've never seen anyone before claim that going Aeon -> Devil isn't a nerf power-wise.

As for Bane, sounds like your using mods, perhaps TTT Reworks. Vanilla Bane is Swift action. Also quite limited in rounds when you're not an inquisitor.

I did not try either, mostly because of the reputation of having no content/reactivity, but most people swear is quite strong, with mythic 10 ultra strong, even though you could basically use it on DLC1.

Regarding the bane, no mods, I like to play vanilla, the game as it is, playthrough was like ... 4 months ago. No switft action, just a toggle on the quickbar, like a shifter minor aspect, maybe it's one of your mods instead?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So, with that in mind :

I did not try either, mostly because of the reputation of having no content/reactivity, but most people swear is quite strong, with mythic 10 ultra strong, even though you could basically use it on DLC1.

Regarding the bane, no mods, I like to play vanilla, the game as it is, playthrough was like ... 4 months ago. No switft action, just a toggle on the quickbar, like a shifter minor aspect, maybe it's one of your mods instead?

Yes, one of my mods changes Aeon Bane into a toggle... (and Aeon Gaze to Swift Action from Free).

And MR10? Who cares about those 20 minutes? Not that it would make it better then MR10 Aeon...

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Aeon bane is toggle in vanilla. If you guys play with mods that basically change the game in a completely different thing at least double check before giving advices.

volklore

Arcane
Some of the TTT changes (like improvements to aeon action economy) ended up being implemented by owlcat later as far as I read in the patch note, and some stealthily. It's a bit hard to keep track off because the mod author doesn't really update his changelog based on it.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Aeon bane is toggle in vanilla. If you guys play with mods that basically change the game in a completely different thing at least double check before giving advices.
Isn't shifter aspect a swift action lol? I played child of the manticore wendu in vanilla and I am pretty sure toggling the minor aspect on cost a swift action. Also Bane works differently to aspect. if Aeon bane works like inquisitor bane and they do because they stack rounds/day on inquisitor aeon, you can't toggle it out of combat, nor would you want to since it's rounds/day rather than minutes per day (for shifter) meaning you will take the swift tax 1 round for toggling it.

Shifter Aspect​

At 1st level, a shifter gains her first aspect—a category of animal to which her body and soul have become supernaturally attuned. She can shift into her aspect’s minor form for a number of minutes per day equal to 3 + her shifter level. The duration need not be consecutive but must be spent in 1-minute increments. Shifting into a minor form is a swift action, while ending the effect is a free action that can be taken only on the shifter’s turn. Until a shifter reaches 9th level and gains the chimeric aspect class feature, she can assume only one minor form at a time. Shifting to a new aspect (or aspects, in the case of chimeric aspects or greater chimeric aspects) ends all minor forms currently manifested. The minor forms of aspects are not polymorph effects, and the shifter does not lose the benefits of a minor form while affected by polymorph effects.

As the shifter gains levels, she gains more aspects; she gains her second aspect at 5th level, a third aspect at 10th level, and a fourth at 15th level.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Some of the TTT changes (like improvements to aeon action economy) ended up being implemented by owlcat later as far as I read in the patch note, and some stealthily. It's a bit hard to keep track off because the mod author doesn't really update his changelog based on it.
Only vanilla improvement to Aeon action economy I'm aware of, is changing Gazes from Swift Actions to Free Actions. Which TTT actually reverses (to make Banes Free, but Gazes cost a Swift - however activating more then 1 Gaze, if your MR permits, doesn't eat additional uses in TTT - Vek used the "Judgement" mechanics for that).

Yosharian

Arcane
It is a huge mistake for Owlcat to balance specific mythic paths around Swift Actions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom