Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Gargaune

Arcane
It's probably nothing more than a CYA (cover your ass) clause added to make sure their user-metrics (which you can disable) and bug-notification process (which you can choose not to submit) are covered.
The EULA is mostly to wipe your ass with anyway, nothing in there is enforceable. Even in the US it rarely gets any traction, cases like Nintendo's joy-con debacle are the exception rather than the norm.

If people are so damn scared of it, why hasn't anyone simply launched a wireshark and looked at what is uploaded by WoTR? Takes 30 seconds to download and install.
My guess is that you don't hear anything outside of the evil "EULA" contract because there's jack shit to worry about. And until anyone can (EASILY) prove it, this is the last thing I'll worry about.
Not sure that makes it better. Even if the data collection were benign and in place from the start, unilaterally amending a sales agreement post-purchase to okay a third-party dataminer and the right to sell info further is the textbook definition of a "dick move." Though it could explain why Owlcat have been mum about their top GOG review, they couldn't just come out and say "don't worry guys, we were already mining your data, we just failed to tell you about it in the initial terms." I have to wonder, did they just forget to spell it out in the launch EULA, or did they deliberately postpone its inclusion precisely because they expected there being at least one customer bored enough to read the damned thing? Either way, no go.

While EULAs are largely regarded as unenforceable, they continue to operate as "the law of the land" because, realistically, people aren't going to challenge them in court over the cost of a software package, so business big and small get away with stuff from Owlcat surveying your registry to Microsoft's automatic updates shoving ads into your Start Menu. So no, whichever way you turn it, it was an awful move and once the genie's out of the bottle, it's hard to cram the little fucker back in there, especially in what's still a competitive market.

Priest

Novice
I just started this game recently and the writing already somewhat turns me off. I mean "Baphomet"? Seriously? Couldn't they come up with something original? Not an hour into the game and someone considers it their duty to mention their sexual orientation. The settings and dialogues feel uninspired and childish. I wasn't ready for that.

That makes me wonder, which CRPG has the most unique setting and writing that requires at least three digit IQ to comprehend? I've only played PoE1-2 and D:OS2

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Not sure that makes it better. Even if the data collection were benign and in place from the start, unilaterally amending a sales agreement post-purchase to okay a third-party dataminer and the right to sell info further is the textbook definition of a "dick move." Though it could explain why Owlcat have been mum about their top GOG review, they couldn't just come out and say "don't worry guys, we were already mining your data, we just failed to tell you about it in the initial terms." I have to wonder, did they just forget to spell it out in the launch EULA, or did they deliberately postpone its inclusion precisely because they expected there being at least one customer bored enough to read the damned thing? Either way, no go.
Forgotten, switched to different tools, requiring more data to troubleshoot, changed legal situation, etc... . Your guess is as good as mine and I haven't seen anyone make an effort to find out.
As for why they don't come out and explain it, as if any answer (including saying that they'll remove it) won't just add more oil to the fire. You can blame the reliable overreaction of gamers for this.
While EULAs are largely regarded as unenforceable, they continue to operate as "the law of the land" because, realistically, people aren't going to challenge them in court over the cost of a software package, so business big and small get away with stuff from Owlcat surveying your registry to Microsoft's automatic updates shoving ads into your Start Menu. So no, whichever way you turn it, it was an awful move and once the genie's out of the bottle, it's hard to cram the little fucker back in there, especially in what's still a competitive market.
That goes both ways, why are you scared they'll "add they'll own my cat" to the EULA when you know they won't/can't sue you for still having cats anyway.

And all this FUD for meaningless posturing about this one game? When you're not clearing your cookies while hopping between websites, use a smartphone or a modern OS (IOS or Windows >7), then your ass-cheeks are already being spread data gathering wise.

Last edited:

Priest

Novice

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure but the writing is still off. PoE was more mature
Pathfinder doesn't have any Very Serious Sawyeresque writers, just people who love Forgotten Realms and queer content.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I just started this game recently and the writing already somewhat turns me off. I mean "Baphomet"? Seriously? Couldn't they come up with something original? Not an hour into the game and someone considers it their duty to mention their sexual orientation. The settings and dialogues feel uninspired and childish. I wasn't ready for that.

That makes me wonder, which CRPG has the most unique setting and writing that requires at least three digit IQ to comprehend? I've only played PoE1-2 and D:OS2
Don't play Pathfinder WOTR for its writing. Plain and simple. If you want "unique setting" and decent writing then try Planescape Torment, Mask of the Betrayer, Arcanum, Dark Sun games.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

Considering your tastes, you should stick to POE1, and probably fortnite, or call of duty.
Baphomet has been a demon lord in Dnd since...Gary Gigax put it there in the '80s.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
especially in what's still a competitive market.
"Competitive market?" Really?

Pray, tell me what you are going to play that is like Wrath but not Wrath. Kingmaker is from the same studio you hate so much. Deadfire was not good, and it is old now. Wartales are good, but very different, with a different theme. The same is true for Disco Elysium, which is not that fresh either.

So what? Divinity: Original Sin 3? PoE-1? Wasteland-3? Which competition in old-school isometric CRPG do you see on the market?

I mean - you can play Call of Duty and consider it Wrath's competitor, for sure.

volklore

Arcane
Well, first 2 Acts are stellar.
Act 3 changes the pacing, is different, but packed to the brim with content, so I'd say its still excellent, just different.
Act 4 changes the pacing again. Is pretty original. Has its quirks, isn't perfect, but I'd still rate it pretty high.
In Act 5 things go downhill fast.
I'd love act 2 to pieces if it wasn't for drezen. I like all the other maps, but drezen drains the soul out of me. The citadel is a cool dungeon but I would love it more if it there was a tempo break between it and the siege map.
I really love act1,3 and 4 though. That's mainly because, contrary to kingmaker, the crusade/kmanagement has no point in this game since it isn't tied to rest restriction/separate from the RPG gameplay. Act3 is a great free roaming act with cool content all over the place, but the crusade shit breaks the adventuring pacing for no tangible impact on the actual RPGing, so I tend to prefer 1 and 4.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Act 3 changes the pacing, is different, but packed to the brim with content, so I'd say its still excellent, just different.
Act 4 changes the pacing again. Is pretty original. Has its quirks, isn't perfect, but I'd still rate it pretty high.
I'd love act 2 to pieces if it wasn't for drezen. I like all the other maps, but drezen drains the soul out of me. The citadel is a cool dungeon but I would love it more if it there was a tempo break between it and the siege map.
I really love act1,3 and 4 though.
For me Drezen is the highlight of the game...

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
You can start the Drezen siege from three different entry points. Also, advice from a (possible?) traitor is probably not the best one.

volklore

Arcane
You can start the Drezen siege from three different entry points. Also, advice from a (possible?) traitor is probably not the best one.
I know you can, it doesn't change the map drastically though. You can get to the giants pretty fast from the front door too. I should do the release the queen pheromones version once though. Haven't done that yet... but I ain't sure filling the place with swarms will improve it :D

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
I know you can, it doesn't change the map drastically though. You can get to the giants pretty fast from the front door too. I should do the release the queen pheromones version once though. Haven't done that yet... but I ain't sure filling the place with swarms will improve it :D
It reduces aerial bombardment from the giants because, well, they are dead, and swarms can't use the catapults.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Its not. But it is the fastest way to recruit Arue, if you care and have done her hidden mini-puzzle.
And to get behind the first fortifications faster.

In order to minimize the time spent there, Regill's route is probably best - but then you're forced to take him into the party - which may or may not be good for you. And if you do it the quick way, you're loosing out on some serious xp, and maybe loot too, so...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm thinking of playing this after I finish Dead Space.
Apparently there's Warpriests and Hellknights in this game.
Can I do Warpriest into HellKnight Signifier on a Lich Mythic Path? There's something so hilariously edgy about that combo that it sounds like it could be fun.

Max Damage

Savant
tuX5HTT.png
I surely love cryptic "squint your eyes" puzzles.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can I do Warpriest into HellKnight Signifier on a Lich Mythic Path? There's something so hilariously edgy about that combo that it sounds like it could be fun.

You can go Aeon then Devil for more edge but Devil path is motly lackluster.

I surely love cryptic "squint your eyes" puzzles.

It'll be even worse with larger of those...

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There are advenced paths that you can choose near late game. Aeon to Lich is not possible since they are both "vanilla" paths, though Aeon itself is kinda Judge Dredd enough. It'll give you more than enough "IM THE LAW" vibes and delete things from existance.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I really love act1,3 and 4 though.
For me Drezen is the highlight of the game...

I would argue Ivory Labyrinth in Chapter 3 is one. Room and encounter design is still pretty nice topped off with a fun boss.

But yeah when your game peaked around half-way there are a lot of issue with your game

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah I use that mod too. Life's too short to spend half of it squinting at difficult-to-see symbols in videogames.

It's a shame because the puzzles themselves aren't all that bad, it's just the QOL of the mechanics of trying to solve them that's really annoying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom