Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It seems that the Aeon is designed for inquisitors. Aeon bane stacks with inquisitor bane and I don't see too many swift actions so far? Gazes seem to be toggles, and this is vanilla.
Not really, Inquisitor is as good as any other Aeon class
I meant more that inquisitors get more mileage out of aeon because of the stacking bane. Of course every other class would be fine, its just that Inquisitors seem to get an extra benefit.
Not really because Aeon Bane only really matters in the tough fights, and in those fights you have enough rounds.

All Inq gives you is the ability to use it a few more rounds per day which is useless because resting in this game is really not an issue.
As an Aeon inquisitor, soon you can use Bane in nearly every fight. And its not insignificant, particularly with the upgrades.
And do you really need to Dispel mooks that you're gonna one-shot anyway?

The last thing I needed in trash fights was Dispel-on-hit, what I needed was more consistency in my attacks, i.e. not rolling 1s, so that the steamroll never stops.

Maybe this is a build design thing *shrug* I guess weaker builds could use more Aeon Bane rounds
Aeon Bane is also more damage.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
More damage more gud.
Make metal club hit 'arder.

Dammit, I should have gone Aeon barbarian. Just a big dumb Conan type dispensing justice the barbarian Numerian way.

One thing I liked about Kingmaker was the sheer glut of build options they throw at you, and Wrath gives you even more build options.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Just to re-iterate, at lvl 11 Scorching Ray triggers Aeon Bane 3 times. I’ve used this on Monk (Student of Stone playthrough).

Obv caster can make greater use unless it’s been nerfed since. Bettering Blast, Hellfire Ray, etc…
Of course. Although damage-wise ray caster Angel is better: +4d6 Holy Sword per projectile (can be Maximized!) AND 5-7d6 from Sun Marked per projectile (maybe can be Maximized as well?)

What's a kineticist like? I found a diadem for them a while back. Are they like monks who can use spells or something?

Not at all like a monk, they are basically dedicated forever ray/nuke spammers craft their own unique attacks. Can pick from a bunch of elements, forms (think ray vs blast vs explosion vs. pulsing AoE), and attach riders like knockdown or blind to these depending on element. Depending on element you can also hit touch AC which makes them super reliable (though touch AC elements deal less damage). They can also empower/maximize/etc their attacks and have a sort of reserve that allows them to do even more impressive stuff a limited number of times per day depending on their CON.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect that maces might be a little shit. Its not that I'm doing poorly with them, its just that I think there might be better weapons.
Still better than picks though, which seem kind of rubbish.

The game is pretty good about supporting a lot of weapon types but the number of weapon types is still way, way too high for them all to see action. Can always respec. One way to do it is to pick a weapon that a companion you won't be taking uses, since companion weapon types are obviously itemized pretty well.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
CthuluIsSpy I have a challenge for you.

Subscribe to chat.openai.com. Switch to the paid level to use ChatGPT 4 instead of 3.5. Try to ask the chat every question you want to ask here. Follow its orders and see what happens.

I know that people seem helpful and supportive, but, seriously, your questions are perfect for the AI.
Depending on element you can also hit touch AC which makes them super reliable (though touch AC elements deal less damage).
Blue Flame?

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
Or you could just skip the thread if game related questions annoy you so much, especially since nothing about kineticist is explained intuitively through level up screen, and there're no kineticist companions in WotR.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I don't know what the exact trigger is, but there's an event where a Hellknight Delegation comes over and makes you a full member, complete with a free Adamantine +3 armour.
That's awesome. I think I did ask Regil about it sometime in act 2, but I suspect putting points into hellknight triggers it too.

My guy has some drip. Those sun glasses and the hat is pretty stylish.

E507011DFE8EBE63280DA9E3B59A6477DB8AEB31

You even get a Hellknight helment, even though it looks like a normal steel helmet in the inventory screen. I used that golem to make that +4 initiative helmet with the plume to look like it.
Even in Wrath you gotta have fashion souls.
2777DA28EC2BD3CB3E6546E211263BE022FFB6F3

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Just to re-iterate, at lvl 11 Scorching Ray triggers Aeon Bane 3 times. I’ve used this on Monk (Student of Stone playthrough).

Obv caster can make greater use unless it’s been nerfed since. Bettering Blast, Hellfire Ray, etc…
Of course. Although damage-wise ray caster Angel is better: +4d6 Holy Sword per projectile (can be Maximized!) AND 5-7d6 from Sun Marked per projectile (maybe can be Maximized as well?)

Desiderius

Patron
What's a kineticist like? I found a diadem for them a while back. Are they like monks who can use spells or something?

Not at all like a monk, they are basically dedicated forever ray/nuke spammers craft their own unique attacks. Can pick from a bunch of elements, forms (think ray vs blast vs explosion vs. pulsing AoE), and attach riders like knockdown or blind to these depending on element. Depending on element you can also hit touch AC which makes them super reliable (though touch AC elements deal less damage). They can also empower/maximize/etc their attacks and have a sort of reserve that allows them to do even more impressive stuff a limited number of times per day depending on their CON.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect that maces might be a little shit. Its not that I'm doing poorly with them, its just that I think there might be better weapons.

The game is pretty good about supporting a lot of weapon types but the number of weapon types is still way, way too high for them all to see action. Can always respec. One way to do it is to pick a weapon that a companion you won't be taking uses, since companion weapon types are obviously itemized pretty well.
Unlike other games of this type there is limited upside to specializing compared to the flexibility afforded by using best available.

I think devs did this to make Martial Proficiency relevant. On a non-martial I might burn a Feat on Exotic and specialize, but often with Martials I won't so I can stay open to best available.

Kineticist is probably the hardest archetype to master. I left it until last in P:K for this reason. A LOT going on. Main distinguishing feature is not needing to rest much if at all.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or you could just skip the thread if game related questions annoy you so much, especially since nothing about kineticist is explained intuitively through level up screen, and there're no kineticist companions in WotR.
The first place I ask any questions is ChatGPT. It is more reliable, more interesting, more creative, and more useful than any forum that is out there. Especially considering the fact that the AI was trained using all those forums.

Skorpion

Educated
The first place I ask any questions is ChatGPT. It is more reliable, more interesting, more creative, and more useful than any forum that is out there. Especially considering the fact that the AI was trained using all those forums.
So why are you here oh stupid one? I tried to ask chatgpt but it just said "who?"

vazha

Arcane
If I want to play a purely martial class (such as barbarian for example), what archetypes would be available for them and how gimped would that kind of build be?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
If I want to play a purely martial class (such as barbarian for example), what archetypes would be available for them and how gimped would that kind of build be?
Hmm, its not that its bad. Mad Dog and Instinctual Warrior are actually both very solid archetypes.

Trouble is that Primalist Bloodrager is Barbarian+, while a Skald is arguably the best buffer for martial focused melee parties - providing Rage effects and Powers for the whole party and making barbarian a little obsolete.
But if you don't plan to bring a Skald along, a barbarian can be a solid class on its own.

vazha

Arcane
Hmm, its not that its bad. Mad Dog and Instinctual Warrior are actually both very solid archetypes.

Trouble is that Primalist Bloodrager is Barbarian+, while a Skald is arguably the best buffer for martial focused melee parties - providing Rage effects and Powers for the whole party and making barbarian a little obsolete.
But if you don't plan to bring a Skald along, a barbarian can be a solid class on its own.
Tell me more about primalist please?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Well, he's a bloodrager, gets spells, including buffs quickcast whenever he rages, and Bloodline powers, with possible niceties like increased attack reach, while also having full access to barbarian Rage Powers - and can actually pick more of them then an actual Barbarian when trading Bloodline powers for them. Some of the most popular bloodlines include Arcane for defensive buffs and Serpentine for more reach. You can choose a second one with a Mythic Ability. TTT also has Aberrant for even more reach.

There's also the fact that Paladin and Ranger (Demonslayer) are high BAB classes with both spellcasting and unique powers specifically designed to destroy evil outsiders. And they'll get a pet. Though you will get decent stand-ins as companions.

It's basically just a barbarian with level 4 arcane casting and a bloodline. Makes base barbarian obsolete.

Last edited:
Kineticists are weird, but solid. The biggest problem is navigating their builds without meta-knowledge. They're Paizo's attempt/solution to the warlock, mechanically speaking. They're primarily blasters, but they get CC particularly for water and earth elements. Water also gives some interesting support similar to a hospitaler paladin. They can even raise dead. Earth gets most of the attention due to deadly earth and trip infusions which are very reliable screen wipes. To empower their blasts with various AoE and modifiers, they have to accept "burn", which is unavoidable non-lethal damage. The class incentives burn not just to power up blasts, but by providing a myriad of bonuses through something called elemental overflow. Off all the archetypes, I found Dark Elementalist to be my preferred. They use INT instead of CON as their primary stat, and I like how they handle Burn. I've also found that I can get incredibly high skill bonuses on any Kineticist, but especially as Dark Elementalist. They made a decent skill monkey support, and excellent use of menace feats.

They start slow, and they can be a bit dull, but get undeniably powerful by around level 10. Most of the time they play like a mage who has infinite mid-tier damage spells. Once you get wall or deadly earth infusions, the game becomes trivial.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Well, he's a bloodrager, gets spells, including buffs quickcast whenever he rages, and Bloodline powers, with possible niceties like increased attack reach, while also having full access to barbarian Rage Powers - and can actually pick more of them then an actual Barbarian when trading Bloodline powers for them. Some of the most popular bloodlines include Arcane for defensive buffs and Serpentine for more reach. You can choose a second one with a Mythic Ability. TTT also has Aberrant for even more reach.

I did a deep dive on this question during my Demon playthrough and it's not *quite* that straightforward but I've been playing LotRO with my kids for a couple months so no longer can remember why.

Daidre will be showing up any minute now to give me a well-deserved talking to.

IW specifically was nice with Demon especially now that they've fixed some of the buggy polymorphing and natural attack stuff. Biggest problem is that Danger Sense is bad* so you kind of want the Archetypes that trade that for something. Stacking DR is a little underrated I think since it precedes Unfair damage-doubling especially with the d12 hit dice. Straight Barb Amiri was the last build I tried in P:K but it surprisingly owned with Inspire Ferocity and her DR and high HPs shrugging off hits that would have been more of a problem on other toons.

Fast movement = longer Charge range and Uncanny Dodge = more AoOs and less vulnerability to Sneaks or losing the initiative roll the turn after the Charge.

* - there are some fights in DLC where you're better off just triggering the trap so who knows

Last edited:

rojay

Scholar
Earth gets most of the attention due to deadly earth and trip infusions which are very reliable screen wipes.
Can confirm because deadly earth breaks the game when you get it, which I think is level 11?

Maximized, empowered deadly earth is absurd. Not many things last more than two turns, and anything that doesn't fly/levitate is going to be stuck in it for at least two turns. Getting to that point is sort of a slog, but a kineticist can still contribute with the right feats.

I killed the dragon. I enjoyed the climax. my skill monkey auto-succeeded all checks. I liked how classic it felt, hunting a dragon that is terrorizing the kingdom. I paid Greybor his pocket money to retain him even though I don't travel with him. I'm over 600K gold at this point, which is absurd. I hope I get to spend it soon. I have all of the western accessible map cleared except for one fort. There are several places pinged on my map that I can't seem to path to. I appear to be running out of things to do but I still haven't hit Mythic 4. Annoying.

Desiderius

Patron
Buying mats to upgrade to towns (and constructing bldgs in them) can eat some of that gold. You're going to need that infra for Ch 5. Ch4 has good items to buy too.

You can get M4 about halfway thru ch 3 if you want.

Desiderius

Patron
Earth gets most of the attention due to deadly earth and trip infusions which are very reliable screen wipes.
Can confirm because deadly earth breaks the game when you get it, which I think is level 11?

Maximized, empowered deadly earth is absurd. Not many things last more than two turns, and anything that doesn't fly/levitate is going to be stuck in it for at least two turns. Getting to that point is sort of a slog, but a kineticist can still contribute with the right feats.

How are you beating the DCs/CMDs on high difficulties?

scytheavatar

Scholar

They are the most fucking OP class in the game, don't play them. Think of playing a Kineticist as like using Diplomacy in HoM&M3, don't do it as it trivializes the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom