Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
- Unique items drop like candy.
I wish....

Not many truely unique items in the game.
And the Devs actually nerfed one of the very few unique weapons.

Saravan

Savant
This game’s combat is so fucking overrated.
Hmm, I actually believe the combat, builds and some groundbreaking moments mostly summ up the positives of this game. So it begs a question: what is a good combat according to you? In which game you saw it?
- Encounter spam. Even too much for RtwP design.
- Positioning don’t really matter beyond basic tactics.
- Barely any use of terrain or environment.
- Prebuff spam.
- Most choices to solve encounters are made before combat begins rather than during.
- Stat bloat difficulty.
- Faux class/subclass diversity (e.g. slayer).
- Gay companions.

Wish there was a modern ToEE. Rogue Trader is designed with TB in mind so that’s positive at least.

Edit: btw, I didn’t post in this thread, the gay mods moved the post.

So many ways to say you suck at it.

Maybe at your age this isn’t the game for you.
This is the exact argument you made almost 2 years ago and it’s still just as retarded. What’s wrong with the combat has nothing to do with difficulty.

Anyways I didn’t post in this thread to begin with it, apologies for disturbing your jerk off session with Haplo.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm, I actually believe the combat, builds and some groundbreaking moments mostly summ up the positives of this game. So it begs a question: what is a good combat according to you? In which game you saw it?
- Prebuff spam.
- Most choices to solve encounters are made before combat begins rather than during.
- Stat bloat difficulty.
- Gay companions.

Wish there was a modern ToEE. Rogue Trader is designed with TB in mind so that’s positive at least.

This is the exact argument you made almost 2 years ago and it’s still just as retarded. What’s wrong with the combat has nothing to do with difficulty.

Anyways I didn’t post in this thread to begin with it, apologies for disturbing your jerk off session with Haplo.

And you’re still wrong as anyone who has mastered the game knows. Don’t presume to pass judgment on a game you haven’t bothered to learn how to play.

This isn’t a journo site.

Desiderius

Patron
- Prebuff spam.
- Stat bloat difficulty.
- Gay companions.

- unique items are gated behind the (knee-jerk) hated Crusade management and still aren’t nearly as unique as, say, Deadfire

- the game gets too long, but at the intended level of difficulty non-boss encounters are intended to be painlessly managed with sufficient pre-planning as to relative resource use. If you burn your resources on pretty pictures of big crits instead of resilience and end up with re-loaditis that’s on you

- positioning and making use of the abilities you have to take advantage of it is a huge part of getting to where those fights are a breeze rather than a slog. You have the same abilities Shadow Votaries have to gain that advantage. Use them!

- there are classes that make extensive use of terrain. Have you played Forester? Maybe if you were making use of Favored Terrain bonuses on the companion that comes with them you wouldn’t suck so much at positioning.

Of course like typical Russians the implementation doesn’t match the design so Favored Terrain bonuses don’t progress as they should so you may have a point here.

- Soyerism. Managing/learning buffs is fun. There are easy mods to automate the ones you want to use regularly, but the skill is in figuring out which ones you need when and how valuable those slots are for other things, as has always been the case for this type of game. If you fall for the armor/shields/martials suck meme that could be your problem. Using the item slots/abilities you have = less need for buffs.

- you solve them during by not sucking at killing shit that needs killed

- those splatbooks aren’t filled with tables of poetry. Quantification is baked into the genre. Additional abilities and number of enemies is also adjustable and can change the nature of the fights.

Players already neglect the abilities they have that work on other dimensions than the common stats, so it’s natural for devs to focus on those that players pay attention to for difficulty purposes to avoid the nerf mobs.

Natural but wrong. Bloat is an accurate but insufficient description for employing a wider scale to make room for the greater granularity that progressive difficulty levels require. As abilities are mastered the player’s own bonuses progress on that scale. MMO-ification of that process into one-dimensionality isn’t just a dev-side problem.

- there is nothing faux about it. Again, if you were using the positioning resources the game gives you then you’d be complaining a lot less about encounter spam and have an appreciation for what Slayer uniquely brings to the table. You’re not using half the class. If you’ve induced this general complaint it’s likely you are oblivious to most of them.

Name a class/archetype and I’ll give you a rundown of the unique niche they were designed to fill and in almost all cases manage to do so with the replayability due to different ways combat (and not just combat) plays out that they bring to the table.

- tge ghey also not just dev-side issue

Saravan

Savant
All your arguments boil down to ‘get good’ because you don’t actually have any arguments. Nowhere did I say the game is too hard and it’s irrelevant to discuss this, yet all you do is repeat the same tired point endlessly.

By unique items I do not mean only the ones found by crusade or made by base building. You find unique items everywhere and way too much. By Drezen I already had a full page of unused items. It’s ridiculous and overuses the concept.

Positioning does not extend further than basic tactics (range in back line, get AoOS builds in the thick of things etc). Stop pretending like it’s some advanced gameplay.

If favoured terrain is the best example you got of encounters utilizing terrain and environmental elements then I understand why you are clueless on this topic.

Prebuff spam is boring banal shit that amplifies the fact that encounters are solved before combat rather than during. This makes encounters feel stale and rigid, there are rarely situations where you have to make decisions on the fly.

Encounters are spammed to the point that combat gets unremarkable. I had to force myself to finish the game. I got insanely bored after Wintersun. This has nothing to do with difficulty.

A lot of classes and subclasses provide fake depth. If the only difference between two slayer subclasses is a single passive that doesn’t warrant it to be a separate subclass. There are a lot of subclasses like this in the game.

As for bloat, this game’s combat is the definition of bloat in everything. Item drops, stats, encounters and minor tweaks to classes being designated as a new ‘subclass’. Even currency reaches a ridiculous point as early as post-Drezen having millions upon millions of gold.

Desiderius

Patron
This is fair. I can agree with most of it.

Though there’s more to the different classes and subclasses (and positioning) than you think the game is also too solvable which obviates the need for those distinctive features.*

This is to some extent due to the nerf bat that comes in response to the kind of criticisms you favor. Stat bloat/too many encounters are typical of people who struggle to handle them. There’s a flood of items due to people over-focusing on one weapon type instead of using their proficiencies (or understanding why some classes don’t have them and what they get in exchange). The ones there are aren’t nearly unique enough.

Your own critiques could benefit from the criticism you give the game.

* - which class/archetype are you talking about and what passive? The irony is that the one archetype to which this criticism applies also got memed into people’s brains as the only “viable” one.

Saravan

Savant

Though there’s more to the different classes and subclasses (and positioning) than you think the game is also too solvable which obviates the need for those distinctive features.*

This is to some extent due to the nerf bat that comes in response to the kind of criticisms you favor. Stat bloat/too many encounters are typical of people who struggle to handle them. There’s a flood of items due to people over-focusing on one weapon type instead of using their proficiencies (or understanding why some classes don’t have them and what they get in exchange). The ones there are aren’t nearly unique enough.

* - which class/archetype are you talking about and what passive? The irony is that the one archetype to which this criticism applies also got memed into people’s brains as the only “viable” one.
Example of bad subclass design: spawn slayer (change study to basically a copy-paste passive of rangers)

Example of good subclass design:
Brown fur transmitter (fundamentally changes how Arcanist plays)

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
- Prebuff spam.
- Stat bloat difficulty.
- Gay companions.

Accurate.

Desiderius

Patron

Example of bad subclass design: spawn slayer (change study to basically a copy-paste passive of rangers)

This is what I mean. Why do people insist on making broad statements then when you ask for an example it turns out they’re simply clueless about the actual game.

Spawn Slayer still gets Study. It also gets an ability (that naturally doesn’t work last time we checked) that gives an *additional* bonus that Ranger doesn’t have access to. No Ranger gets favored enemy against Darrazand, Melzamera, Nahyndri, Great Wurms, that one Ecorche, and Korrazawhatever.

On the other hand no Favored Enemy bonus that you’d take applies to so few mobs, so the two abilities are distinct. The question is whether that distinction is relevant and of course it is since those are some of the highest AC mobs in the game. Doubly important if you’re trying to land CMs (which have more support in Wrath) since it helps overcome the size CMD bonus.

What does it give up? That’s more important than it looks too. Swift Study seems like a small price to pay but there’s no ability I think I’ve used more than I used Swift Study in my TB Vanguard run through Unfair. Study turns on automatically when you land a Sneak but that requires:

(1) landing your first attack without Study Bonus

(2) a mob vulnerable to Sneaks

And what do you know the mobs that both of those can be a problem against are the same ones Spawn Slayer gets an inherent bonus to hit. But not right away. Takes class progression to get there.

So there is in fact a great deal of play between Spawn Slayer and the other archetypes and not an easy trade-off to judge, which is what makes a great game.

Same with pretty much every other example people come up with to make the point you’re arguing. It’s a great ruleset.

BTW Brown-fur isn’t a no-brainer either. Phantasmal Mage is a better fit for the strengths (and to alleviate the weaknesses) of the base class.

Saravan

Savant
Seriously that wall of text for effectively a passive stat change to the default class that barely affects gameplay. It’s an insult to call that minisicule difference a ‘subclass’. If that constitutes depth to you then you are a lost cause.

Your comment regarding brown fur also reveals how you are stuck in optimisation hell mindset. You aren’t even approaching this topic correctly. It’s completely irrelevant whether another subclass to Arcanist is ‘better’ the point is that brown fur changes the way the base class is played to a degree that it warrants being called a subclass. Like Eldrich Knight or Battlemaster Fighter in DnD. It provides an interesting and different game mechanic. That is what adds depth and variety to classes, not including a slightly different version of favoured enemy and calling it a subclass.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Slight my ass. Every last word of that wall of text exposes just how much you have no idea what you’re talking about. *You’re* the one who chose this example for your general point, so the weakness of that choice is on you.

Specifics:

Let’s be generous and say you don’t suck quite as much as other bloat/grind whiners and you’re at 20% to hit on the toughest enemies. I’ll even give you credit for knowing how to use Sos/Ember to give yourself advantage (Sos can do it as a Swift, Ember w/ TTT), which kicks you up to 36%.

Now if you take Spawn Slayer that slight passive kicks you up to 40%, or 64% with that advantage. That’s a 16/9 increase (78%).

The memetards jizz themselves over Mutagens that do the same thing. Making use of marginal/situational differences *where they matter* is what great gameplay is all about and creating opportunities for them to matter is great design.

The passive matters too since swift-flooding can become a problem depending on your Mythic Path. Trading an extra Swift for a substantial passive boost where you need it can be a smart and very noticeable (if, you know, the ability were actually working) choice. Playing levels 5-12 without that Swift likewise significantly changes how Slayer will approach fights.

Desiderius

Patron
Ranger again? I already explained to you that Ranger doesn’t have access to this ability. Is Weapon Training a Ranger ability? Smite Evil?

Your comment regarding brown fur also reveals how you are stuck in optimisation hell mindset.

Oh for fuck sake not this shit again. *You’re* the one who chose the most notorious no-brainer optimal archetype as your example of good design. I didn’t say anything about optimal, I said best fit for the strengths of the class (and if you use Shadow Spells the best way to counteract its weaknesses), but that isn’t always what you need.

Vanguard isn’t best way to take advantage of the strengths of Slayer, but I didn’t need to do that with the boost Aeon gives so traded some of that strength by choosing Vanguard instead to get Tactician and Vanguard’s Bond to shore up the rest of the team.

Those are the kinds of choices that great games are about and that the PF games give you in spades if you take the time to look for them and think things through instead of talking out of your ass.

Saravan

Savant
Holy shit are you exaggerating the extent of which favoured enemy 2.0 passive changes your gameplay. This is not enough to warrant a separate subclass. This is the thing with this game. A lot of minimal change ups to base classes being misinterpreted as ‘tons of class variety’.

Yeah. Pretty generic +AB +Damage bonus vs. another pretty generic +AB +Damage bonus martial. A LOT of the classes could be consolidated into a single class that has a variety of early optional paths, like how Ranger chooses to specialize in a specific style. I'd do something like make a blank fighter (no bonuses aside from the bonus combat feats), and then let them replace weapon and armor training with a selection of other major and minor martial focuses like favored enemy, study target, mutagens, 4th level casting of divine or arcane, shifting abilities, rage powers, etc.

No Ranger gets favored enemy against Darrazand, Melzamera, Nahyndri, Great Wurms, that one Ecorche, and Korrazawhatever.
Guarantee it took you 10x as long to type that out as it takes me to hit the swift enemy hotkey on all of these enemies combined.

BTW Brown-fur isn’t a no-brainer either. Phantasmal Mage is a better fit for the strengths (and to alleviate the weaknesses) of the base class.

Not sure I would agree with that. Some free metamagic uses are nice but stat increases from BFT also apply to your DCs and so boost your offensive spells in their own way (and you're also boosting your whole damn party massively at the same time). Furthermore for the hardest fights in the game you'll always have your best wands ready to negate Phantasmal Mage's advantage, so BFT comes out plainly ahead.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Guarantee it took you 10x as long to type that out as it takes me to hit the swift enemy hotkey on all of these enemies combined.

And now the ankle-biters are out in force.

(1) *I* didn’t make the Ranger comparison, he did.

(2) With what Swift Action? I just said that Spawn Slayer is useful for when your Swift is already taken up by something like Aeonbane. And Swifts are clunky in RTwP so good job burning your whole turn if you don’t get the timing perfect.

(3) You also need a 3rd level spell slot which you don’t get on Ranger until level 10 and which has other good options that last longer than one fight. Ranger has other things to spend Mythics on other than Abundant.

The Slayer ability is passive/always on. Like other martial abilities this cuts down on the reliance on buffs that OP deplores and that can bite you in tough spots. Regular Favored Enemy is also passive. Instant Enemy isn’t.

Furthermore for the hardest fights in the game you'll always have your best wands ready to negate Phantasmal Mage's advantage, so BFT comes out plainly ahead.

It’s about stacking meta. The deeper the stack the better off you are. Rod can only apply one at a time. Strength of Class is offensive casting which Phant adds to.

Gnome gets racial bonus to Illusion (TTT fixes Shadow Spells to make them Illusion) and Feat that adds +2 DC to Shadow Spells. Shadow Spells counteract narrowness of Arcanist Spellbook. Mental stats don’t get benefit from things like BFT enhancing Polymorph/Size stat bonuses because Polymorphs/Size spells only boost physical stats. TTT has Idealize Feat that duplicates BFT Fox’s Cunning Enhancement that Nenio can take.

BFT buffs eat so much of Arcane Pool/Spellbook for most of game that it puts a big dent into your ability to be main controller. Which may be something you want to do but is far from no-brainer.

Desiderius

Patron
Holy shit are you exaggerating the extent of which favoured enemy 2.0 passive changes your gameplay. This is not enough to warrant a separate subclass. This is the thing with this game. A lot of minimal change ups to base classes being misinterpreted as ‘tons of class variety’.

And yet people shit themselves for Mutation Warrior. A 78% increase in your chance to hit the things you need to hit the most is the opposite of trivial.

You pay for that with the narrowness of the ability but the payoff is *large* in a way that means that maybe Sosiel can take a Mythic that makes his casting better instead of having to take Hearth or you can leave Seelah on the bench and go without Mark of Justice, or simply not suck so bad you feel like you have to cry for nerfs or trash the ruleset.

Look, people embarrass themselves all the time. I don’t care about that. But as long as the best devs and players are on some glibertarian live-and-let-live kick its people who speak with the voice of authority without the mastery to back it up who inexperienced players listen to because they’re the only ones talking.

And then they go on to demand great games get nerfed and lobotomized because some idiot journo wannabe wanted to talk big about shit he knew nothing about.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Desiderius

Patron
favoured enemy 2.0

As if Slayer with Favored Enemy on top of it wouldn’t play out in a significantly different way from the base class. What even is your point? Favored Enemy is a major reason to play Ranger (and specifically Demonslayer) in the first place. But Ranger doesn’t get access to *this* Favored Enemy without a Swift and a spell slot anyway.

Are you simply a splatbook hater?

And now the ankle-biters are out in force.

(1) *I* didn’t make the Ranger comparison, he did.

(2) With what Swift Action? I just said that Spawn Slayer is useful for when your Swift is already taken up by something like Aeonbane. And Swifts are clunky in RTwP so good job burning your whole turn if you don’t get the timing perfect.

(3) You also need a 3rd level spell slot which you don’t get on Ranger until level 10 and which has other good options that last longer than one fight. Ranger has other things to spend Mythics on other than Abundant.

The Slayer ability is passive/always on. Like other martial abilities this cuts down on the reliance on buffs that OP deplores and that can bite you in tough spots. Regular Favored Enemy is also passive. Instant Enemy isn’t.

Ranger is already a full turn ahead of Slayer anyway due to being mounted and therefore able to get within full attack range of the enemy on turn 1, so I'd say that's a clear win either way. Of course you can use Bismuth but then that's another melee character in your group who loses a whole turn to run into melee.

And now the ankle-biters are out in force.It’s about stacking meta. The deeper the stack the better off you are. Rod can only apply one at a time. Strength of Class is offensive casting which Phant adds to.

Gnome gets racial bonus to Illusion (TTT fixes Shadow Spells to make them Illusion) and Feat that adds +2 DC to Shadow Spells. Shadow Spells counteract narrowness of Arcanist Spellbook. Mental stats don’t get benefit from things like BFT enhancing Polymorph/Size stat bonuses because Polymorphs/Size spells only boost physical stats. TTT has Idealize Feat that duplicates BFT Fox’s Cunning Enhancement that Nenio can take.

BFT buffs eat so much of Arcane Pool/Spellbook for most of game that it puts a big dent into your ability to be main controller. Which may be something you want to do but is far from no-brainer.

Don't really see how this helps. The bonus is for illusion spells, and illusion damage spells are... kinda bad? So that basically just leaves you with DC-based illusion spells, and if you are using those then the only metamagic to use is Persistant. So stacking a wand + another metamagic isn't all that useful. The only exception I can think of is Greater Shadow Evocation, Greater -> Sirocco, using both persistant and selective. So that's one very specific spell in one very specific way you get an advantage in.

Aside from that, you can run a Gnome BFT just fine. And BFT buffs really don't take up that much space. The only crowded tier is level 6 but you can either use other tiers with metamagic or use a bunch of level 2 single target stat buffs to compensate. Arcane pool is absolutely never a problem, you can consume tons of useless spell slots for more points.

Saravan

Savant
A small AB/damage passive does not meaningfully change the way you play the game which should be the standard for designating something as a new subclass. As always, you get lost in optimisation minutiae by autistically screeching about a single swift action being freed up.

The brown fur, as an example to illustrate the difference, is that a unique mechanic is introduced at lvl 9 that fundamentally changes the way the base class operates. That provides a gameplay change substantial enough to include it as a subclass.

If you can’t tell the difference between these two then you don’t understand what provides real variety to classes in a CRPG. Hence my original comment about faux class/subclass variety in WotR.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Ranger is already a full turn ahead of Slayer anyway due to being mounted and therefore able to get within full attack range of the enemy on turn 1, so I'd say that's a clear win either way. Of course you can use Bismuth but then that's another melee character in your group who loses a whole turn to run into melee.

Unless the slayer has pounce. Or Swift teleport.

scytheavatar

Scholar
A small AB/damage passive does not meaningfully change the way you play the game which should be the standard for designating something as a new subclass. As always, you get lost in optimisation minutiae by autistically screeching about a single swift action being freed up.

The brown fur, as an example to illustrate the difference, is that a unique mechanic is introduced at lvl 9 that fundamentally changes the way the base class operates. That provides a gameplay change substantial enough to include it as a subclass.

If you can’t tell the difference between these two then you don’t understand what provides real variety to classes in a CRPG. Hence my original comment about faux class/subclass variety in WotR.

I don't see why every subclass has to have gameplay changes on the level of Brown Fur to exist........ this game even with zero subclasses already has plenty of variety unmatch in the CRPG genre. Small changes which nevertheless provide more options isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Desiderius

Patron
For fuck sake I just posted two months of Slayer owning Unfair mounted on Bismuth, starting out with Spawn Slayer until we figured out that Owlcat still hasn’t implemented the main ability at which point I respecced into Vanguard.

You get Bismuth at the same time Ranger would be picking up Instant Enemy.

TTT fixes the ridiculous vanilla implementation that lets you Full Attack after Mount gives you a free Move Action. You can get that ability but it costs a Feat with a couple prereqs. I think I ended up getting that on Nomad Lann.

Desiderius

Patron

78% isn’t small. You can’t just make shit up then use that as a premise. It doesn’t just change the way the class plays out it changes the range of viable party make-ups and abilities that other party members take.

A single Swift Action (and spell slot) being freed up is a big deal when you’re playing rocket tag. But that’s entirely beside the point since the Favored Enemy comparison is Apples and Oranges anyway. Slayer doesn’t get Instant Enemy.

Saravan

Savant

I don't see why every subclass has to have gameplay changes on the level of Brown Fur to exist........ this game even with zero subclasses already has plenty of variety unmatch in the CRPG genre. Small changes which nevertheless provide more options isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Not every subclass has to include unique mechanics on the level of brown fur, Eldrich Scoundrel is a good example that changes the way you play Rogue enough to warrant a subclass without having unique mechanics.

However, a lot of classes, especially martials like spawn slayer, just have small tweaks to their class progression that is just padding shallow subclasses to the game. If you can reconstruct a subclass by just replacing a feat or two as an option to the base class that is a good sign that it was an unnecessary addition.

Unmatched variety in the CRPG genre I don’t agree with and is a meaningless point anyways in the context of WotR combat which boils down to a game of boring prebuff spam with barely any use of positioning or use of terrain/environment regardless of party composition.

The encounters are too badly designed for combat to be fun beyond theoretical build fagging that entices autists like Desiderius and Haplo but is not actually interesting enough to play which is why even the few remaining retards here struggle to find the willpower to complete the game more than once. This was the same in Kingmaker, it took more than a year of Desiderius sperging out in the thread about his builds before he even completed the game by his own admission which just tells you everything you need to know about how fucking boring the encounter design is.

Here is to hoping Owlcat took lessons of their previous mistakes when designing RT. At least they understood why RtwP is always shit compared to TB.

Last edited:
I'm in Ch4 and starting to look for the exits. I liked the combat, but now that my party is CL19/ML5 in the Abyss, everything is starting to become rocket tag. It's not hard, it's just turned up to 11 in the same way Final Fantasy does after a certain point. The charm is wearing off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom