Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Owlcat throwing a bit of shade, or joining on the bear action, any way you wanna take it:

We tirelessly fix bugs in our games, but some of them leave behind unforgettable experiences. Just look at this romantic gesture, making the Abyss vacation more... bearable.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Using Daeran high Charisma+Persuasion so he can be a Dazzling Display machine, good or bad idea?
So-so.

Dazzling Display is Full Round and he's Staggered on combat start. Will be a while before he gets in position to use it.
However he handles single-target intimidation with the Demoralize Standard Action command nicely.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
In Vanilla Freedom of Movement cancels the Curse. Nature Second Mystery gives him a Mount to take care of moving so he can use his Standard while Staggered.

Mythic Dazzling lets you use it at different speed but Frightful Presence eventually applies AoE Shaken anyway with no skill check. Mythic Channeling is pretty good on Daeran since its CHR-based. Could combine the two.

If you make Daeran a Mythic Dazzler you could splash Thug after hitting 9th level spells to upgrade the Dazzling to Fear.

As Haplo says simply Demoralizing bosses is high value until Frightful kicks in. Use the Seashell from Brimorak House in Market Square to up his Intimidation by five.

Daeran is short on Feats (DD needs two while Demoralize doesn’t need any) so Spell Focus Evo (both + Mythic) and Spell Pen (both + Mythic) are higher priority if you want him to cast at all, and he’s a full caster with Archon’s so that probably his best use.

Prayer needs the Spell Pen, Archon’s the Focus, and other Evo control spells like Ear-Piercing Scream, Sound Burst, and Arrow of Law, and Searing Light are useful.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
oh yeah I know Frightful Aspect is a thing later on. However the last run I played with Daeran I noticed there were some "dead turns" with him where I couldn't do much on his turn, so thats why I asked about Dazzling

Only two instances where I'd really value spending a turn to inflict shaken is:

- Vs. a specific very tough boss enemy (either you want to nerf their offense or hit them easier along with shatter defenses). Single target works here, no need for dazzling.
- As an AoE save debuffer for weird. By the time you have weird you also have frightful.

So I'm skeptical that its a good use of feats on a character that is somewhat feat starved. But I'm assuming you are investing in building up Daeran as some kind of martial character, obviously that's where most of my feats go.

Yosharian

Arcane
oh yeah I know Frightful Aspect is a thing later on. However the last run I played with Daeran I noticed there were some "dead turns" with him where I couldn't do much on his turn, so thats why I asked about Dazzling
Yes and once you have FA, your Dazzler shifts roles to become the dedicated dispeller

frajaq

Erudite

- Vs. a specific very tough boss enemy (either you want to nerf their offense or hit them easier along with shatter defenses). Single target works here, no need for dazzling.
- As an AoE save debuffer for weird. By the time you have weird you also have frightful.

So I'm skeptical that its a good use of feats on a character that is somewhat feat starved. But I'm assuming you are investing in building up Daeran as some kind of martial character, obviously that's where most of my feats go.
what makes Daeran feat starved? been mostly using him for Healing/Buffs/Restoration. I know theres some Fire Spells items but im mostly thinking of using Ember for that

what makes Daeran feat starved? been mostly using him for Healing/Buffs/Restoration. I know theres some Fire Spells items but im mostly thinking of using Ember for that

Finesse, Outflank, Weapon Focus, Fencing Grace, Improved Critical, Power Attack, Lunge, Combat Reflexes use up all his available feats for me.

Desiderius

Patron

Demoralize used strategically is good action econ for him into the midgame and strategically sometimes after that if you don’t have someone else handling it. Eventually he gets his caster feats and enough casts to do that whenever it matters and that’s what full progression classes are best at.

Making him decent at attacking comes at too high of a cost to his casting unless you want to do it for RP. Of course with Nature Second Mystery his Pet/Mount can do good damage attacking. Once he gets Frightful he can fight competently himself even STR-based but by then you’ve got a gazillion casts.

Reach weapon + AoOs *while* casting/intimidating is something I’ve done with Tristian/Sosiel but there aren’t any mobs in Wrath with enough HPs to need it.

Desiderius

Patron

Because Archon’s and Prayer are both great spells and you’re looking at four feats + 2 Mythics to get the most out of them, his class gets no bonus feats, and he’s burned the feats he started with on idiot-proofing himself (and/or setting himself up to be the game’s best Channeler with Mythic Channeling if you like damage racing/owning Undead).

As a spontaneous caster he has enough casts for buffs and offensive casting and the caster Feats unlock good Sonic/Divine spells like Ear-Piercing, Sound Burst, Arrow of Law, Searing Light, Order’s Wrath, Holy Smite, Arbitrament, and eventually just Hellfire/Stormbolts.

There’s a Divine-only Maximize Rod in Drezen Temple to get the most damage out of those but their main use is to control enemy casters either by attacking Fortitude with Stuns or doing enough damage in RTwP to break Concentration.

Wrath/Smite are AoE damage + debuff/daze that come with Selectivity based on Alignment of team, as does Arbitrament. Divine/Sonic damage gets around Resists/Immunities but you can also take Waves Second Mystery along with Ascendant Cold to do Cold nuking. There’s a relic rod to turn Stormbolts damage into maximized Unholy if you want, and/or Daeran can supplement his spells with the various items that add spells for spontaneous casters.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Actually I use Demoralize on Daeran A LOT early game. He does it almost every round.

My favorite tactics for higher difficulties is: Daeran Demoralizes -> Camelia Hexes to debuff Saving Throws with Evil Eye -> Ember Hexes with Slumber -> Coup de Grace with a x3 weapon.

Can use it trough most of Act 2 too. Although I tend to switch to Sosiel when he becomes available.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
This game’s combat is so fucking overrated.
Hmm, I actually believe the combat, builds and some groundbreaking moments mostly summ up the positives of this game. So it begs a question: what is a good combat according to you? In which game you saw it?

Saravan

Savant
Hmm, I actually believe the combat, builds and some groundbreaking moments mostly summ up the positives of this game. So it begs a question: what is a good combat according to you? In which game you saw it?
- Unique items drop like candy.
- Encounter spam. Even too much for RtwP design.
- Positioning don’t really matter beyond basic tactics.
- Barely any use of terrain or environment.
- Prebuff spam.
- Most choices to solve encounters are made before combat begins rather than during.
- Stat bloat difficulty.
- Faux class/subclass diversity (e.g. slayer).
- Gay companions.

Wish there was a modern ToEE. Rogue Trader is designed with TB in mind so that’s positive at least.

Edit: btw, I didn’t post in this thread, the gay mods moved the post.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
- Unique items drop like candy.
- Encounter spam. Even too much for RtwP design.
- Positioning don’t really matter beyond basic tactics.
- Barely any use of terrain or environment.
- Prebuff spam.
- Most choices to solve encounters are made before combat begins rather than during.
- Stat bloat difficulty.
- Faux class/subclass diversity (e.g. slayer).
- Gay companions.

Wish there was a modern ToEE. Rogue Trader is designed with TB in mind so that’s positive at least.

Edit: btw, I didn’t post in this thread, the gay mods moved the post.

So many ways to say you suck at it.

Maybe at your age this isn’t the game for you.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Desiderius

Patron

1000 builds for one flavour chaotic combat.

If it’s chaotic you’re doing it (very) wrong.

Pathfinder mechanic, just like its source, is based on dice throws. With a lot of options it must generate chaos, especially in real time (like in BG1 and 2).

Only if you suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom