Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
How do you block dictum anyway?
Make your saving throw?
Apparently that's the only way of doing it, although its just a partial rather than a negate.
How does the partial work anyway? Does it just go the next eligible effect?
Like, instead of dying, staggered and paralyzed it goes to staggered and paralyzed?

How good is Dictum / Holy Word / Whatever when used by a player anyway? I didn't bother using it because its HD based and enemies tend to have a lot of HD.
Maybe if used by a Angel Cleric due to the Merged Spell Book.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

You only get staggered for a round if you make the saving throw.

Holy Word is really good in this campaign, as long as you don't bring any evil party members.
Or make it selective, I suppose.
That's another reason why I didn't go with the words; too much friendly fire.
Though I think there's one version that only affects enemies? I forgot which one it was.

Yosharian

Arcane
Make your saving throw?
Apparently that's the only way of doing it, although its just a partial rather than a negate.
Like, instead of dying, staggered and paralyzed it goes to staggered and paralyzed?

How good is Dictum / Holy Word / Whatever when used by a player anyway? I didn't bother using it because its HD based and enemies tend to have a lot of HD.
Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed. Save negates. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 3d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level (maximum +25).

Yosharian

Arcane
Deafened: The creature is deafened for 1d4 rounds. Save negates.

Staggered: The creature is staggered for 2d4 rounds. Save reduces the staggered effect to 1d4 rounds.

Paralyzed: The creature is paralyzed and helpless for 1d10 minutes. Save reduces the paralyzed effect to 1 round.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Make your saving throw?

Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed. Save negates. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 3d6 points of damage + 1 point per caster level (maximum +25).
Where does it say that?

Yosharian

Arcane
Huh weird. What were their will saves up to?
Heh, no fucking clue. I never got as far as writing them down because I was so fucking bored by the end of the game that I couldn't wait to stop playing it.

I did write down my MC's saves but they aren't necessarily representative of the rest of the team, obviously:

Fortitude: +67
Class Bonus: 17
Constitution: +13
Inherent: +2 (Demongraft)
Insight: +4 (Bound of Possibility)
Luck: +1 (Engraved Lucky Bracers)
Morale: +8 (Greater Heroism, doubled by ring)
Resistance +4 (Greater Angelic Aspect)
Other: +4 (Shake It Off)
Other: +2 (Bloody Meat)
Other: +12 (Divine Grace)

Reflex: +54
Class Bonus: 6
Dexterity: +12
Dodge: +1 (Haste)

Will: +59
Class Bonus: 11
Wisdom: +7
Rage: +6 (Inspired Rage)
Also this was before Shake It Off was 'fixed' so it's probably a little unfair to include it at maximum.

Bound of Possibility (Aeon-specific item), Inspired Rage and Greater Heroism boosted by the double bonus ring are the real heavy hitters here (Divine Grace aside). BoP and IR are party-wide effects so that makes a huge difference if you don't have those.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Stormcallers are bullshit and way too overtuned. Even with Resist and Protection their spells still deal a lot of damage.

Evasion is a thing. There’s even a Heavy Armor with it built in for the armorless tards to get pwned even harder.

Love how the powhurrdurr gamers neglect things like saves then the people who fall for their advice (instead of figuring things out for themselves) wonder why endgame is so hard.

My favorite of the Dictim-type spells is Arbitrament since it hits on-level targets and CE foes while being easier to naturally dodge for most companions (including the two divine casters). Plus few things are immune to Sickness and Stagger.

It’s easier to boost CL now than it was at release.

Desiderius

Patron
Just now?

Always used it with Seelah and then I'm mostly watching my strongest melee character's attacks/damage, which is either myself or someone else with their own personal buffs and who isn't maxing CHA. Don't really have time to check that every character has every buff working properly.

Uh, am I the only one *not* playing this game like Diablo with a five-man cheering section? Pretty sure back in the day people noticed whether Minsc was landing that Zweihander and had a decent grasp of why or why not. Guess that also explains why people think she can’t tank.

There’s an item that goes in her belt at beginning of Act 3 that converts Smite AC to Sacred. But what’s 7 AC give or take?

Uh, am I the only one *not* playing this game like Diablo with a five-man cheering section? Pretty sure back in the day people noticed whether Minsc was landing that Zweihander and had a decent grasp of why or why not. Guess that also explains why people think she can’t tank.

Because bosses tend to die in 2-3 rounds max anyway.

There’s an item that goes in her belt at beginning of Act 3 that converts Smite AC to Sacred. But what’s 7 AC give or take?

Almost nothing when she's riding an animal companion.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Well well well, my custom bard and tank cleric are getting... redundant, gotta get the succo soon.

What if... i make a TANK healer BARD?

Get me a build, no need for damage, just song/buff and mostly healing.

Desiderius

Patron
Almost nothing when she's riding an animal companion.
My second Unfair run was markedly easier having a reliable tank when compared to the first. Putting her on a horse has an opportunity cost.

If somebody gets ganked in round one or two it doesn't matter if you can end the fight in 2 or 3, especially if that somebody is your lone source of damage.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Stormcallers are bullshit and way too overtuned. Even with Resist and Protection their spells still deal a lot of damage.

Evasion is a thing. There’s even a Heavy Armor with it built in for the armorless tards to get pwned even harder.

Love how the powhurrdurr gamers neglect things like saves then the people who fall for their advice (instead of figuring things out for themselves) wonder why endgame is so hard.

My favorite of the Dictim-type spells is Arbitrament since it hits on-level targets and CE foes while being easier to naturally dodge for most companions (including the two divine casters). Plus few things are immune to Sickness and Stagger.

You only get 4 evasion rings though and they still get 3 casts per turn. If there's two of them they just kill anyone who doesn't have it, and that's without their melee.
They are literally stronger than demon lords. They're just a poorly designed enemy type.

The best way to deal with them for me is GMR + Weird + Devil Illusion Decree, because if they get a turn they deal way too much damage.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Anyway, finally beat the game.
The fight against Vorlesh is pretty cool. Stormcallers are still harder.
I didn't get the secret ending though because apparently I didn't have enough arguments for her to go through with the godhood plan. First Vorlesh tossed herself into the wound then I did when I redid the fight to see if I missed the ending by accident. Apparently its because the dialogue option about summoning demon lords didn't pop up, even though I learned that.
I actually did better on the second attempt.
Devil Rank 10 is actually pretty nice, because you get Demonic Rage and Angel Sword. I don't know why Devil would allow you to use demon abilities, but I guess Owlcat ran out of ideas?

I noticed an annoying bug during the threshold defense though; Sosiel remained under AI control, so I had to do that without a healer.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

You only get 4 evasion rings though and they still get 3 casts per turn. If there's two of them they just kill anyone who doesn't have it, and that's without their melee.
They are literally stronger than demon lords. They're just a poorly designed enemy type.

The best way to deal with them for me is GMR + Weird + Devil Illusion Decree, because if they get a turn they deal way too much damage.

Reading, how does it work?

I just told you there’s also a heavy armor and, wait for it, there are also several classes who get it naturally, including multiple companions.

There’s also the temporary HP I already suggested you look into. None of my dudes got fried there even without Evasion because things like Burst of Glory gave them a cushion.

But yes preventing casters from casting is also a high and often neglected priority. Most of the abilities I highlight that others dismiss are focused on achieving that.

So I tried to use the Sickle of Wicked Rites to give my own characters attribute bonuses. This is a bit tricky, since WotR doesn't just let you attack your own party members (at least anymore). I got around this by putting Regil in a secluded corner, having Ember turn him insane, and then using my trickster infinite cure critical wounds wand to keep the test subject from dying. Considering the damned thing is called "Sickle of Wicked Rites", this demented situation in a demonic city felt perfect. It worked like a charm, except for the fact that the weapon wasn't applying the bonus. I guess the item description of "enemy" is taken seriously. Very disappointing. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can get one of my party members to turn hostile. Is there any way to turn them berserk, like in the IE games?

frajaq

Erudite
whats the counterplay to the dragon in chapter 3 ambushing me out of nowhere and one shotting two party members with her breath on the road?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom