Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Prophet of Pestilence: possibly fucking broken depending on how powerful/how early you get to summon a swarm. Or possibly useless if its a class with some mediocre aura that lets enemies save to avoid effects.
Tortured Crusader: Abilities listed are purely great, so I'm fully expecting the drawback to be something horrible like losing Mark of Justice.
Separatist: "We spent a great deal of time to create this archetype" is not something you should be saying when the reason it took so long is because your dev environment requires tedious hours of data entry work. What % of files did they miss? Who knows. Possibly great early game if the only difference is one domain slightly weaker, since a lot of gods either don't have two good domains or one is a late bloomer. Kind of uninspiring though.
Winter Child: If this is an animal companion level ally then delicious. Druid doesn't really have hugely impactful archetypes atm outside of Drovier.
Ghost Rider: If this lets you charge through obstacles with a 1 level dip then that's amazing.
Weretouched: Hard to say, no specific abilities given. Like the other shifters a lot depends on how many minor aspect choices you lose.
Shadowcaster: Turning into a different form as a wizard sounds pretty useless unless its boosting spells somehow. Nice to hear that my wizard can cast sorcery though.
Hag of Gyronna: Very interesting to see how this plays out. Sad to think you probably can't ride the hag.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
splatbook said:
Wizard: Shadowcaster
When we started to develop the archetypes, we knew there would be the Shadow Plane location in The Lord of Nothing DLC. Therefore, the Shadowcaster was a fitting addition. After all, Shadowcasters wield the powers of the Shadow Plane, control the shadows, and summon powerful shadow creatures. Mysterious and enigmatic wizards and masters of illusion, they have dedicated their lives to the study and manipulation of dark magic. They are able to bend reality to their will and deceive the most astute of enemies.
We have also added the ability to transform into the Shadowform itself, thus gaining many bonuses and without losing the ability to cast sorcery.
No longer will you have to fear the shadows, for they serve only you! https://store.steampowered.com/news...rJNHXRFkoOlBgkmuo8Fc_FWIZWK0TfPqxtG5Rhm6b4dBM
-------------------

Amazing. Any detail about how the class will gonna be?

Also, if I buy season pass 2, I get this wiz subclass?

And how is this class different from Shadow Wizarde from Defilers and Preservers : The wizards of athas sourcebook?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Separatist is super good, makes you save a impossible domain mythic ability, for just a -2 level penalty on the bonus domain.

Tortured crusader seems finally a way to have a paladin double wield with the bonus feats, but if mark of justice is gone it's pretty though.

The rest seems more thematic and I suspect all in all they will suck.

Separatist really depends on what you want out of it. If you were already taking e.g. Erastil for Animal and Community then you already had 2 great domains. But community doesn't come online until level 8 normally which makes it wasted, you could do something like Animal + Luck or nobility to get a reasonably useful power and then take Community with your mythic. If you're doing some kind of sweaty unfair run then that extra power in chapter 1 will help a lot.

Tortured crusader looks crap (according to the links above). Smite DOESN'T ADD CHARISMA TO ATTACK (or deflection), merely capping out at +4 at level 2. Which is great early game but sucks later. And no mark of justice. And forced to take divine weapon rather than an animal mount. Unless a lot gets changed about the archetype I think any of these 3 penalties is basically a dealbreaker.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Separatist really depends on what you want out of it. If you were already taking e.g. Erastil for Animal and Community then you already had 2 great domains. But community doesn't come online until level 8 normally which makes it wasted, you could do something like Animal + Luck or nobility to get a reasonably useful power and then take Community with your mythic. If you're doing some kind of sweaty unfair run then that extra power in chapter 1 will help a lot.

Tortured crusader looks crap (according to the links above). Smite DOESN'T ADD CHARISMA TO ATTACK (or deflection), merely capping out at +4 at level 2. Which is great early game but sucks later. And no mark of justice. And forced to take divine weapon rather than an animal mount. Unless a lot gets changed about the archetype I think any of these 3 penalties is basically a dealbreaker.
You could go Animal , Madness then Community

I really enjoyed the Shadow Adept prestige class in 3.5 both in PnP and NWN mods. Illusions and shadow magic have been my favorite types of spells since I started with D&D. This Shadowcaster is just an archetype, so a bit meh. Eventually getting 9 levels of bonus spells is nice. +% real illusions is clutch in PnP, but I don't know how useful it will be in WotR. With TTT mod, it will be possible to get even the lowliest shadow spells up to 80% real, for those so inclined. I guess that will improve usability against high will and mental immunity enemies.

Mauman

Scholar
Oh boy oh boy....

I can go from spending untold hours of making characters in Knights of the Chalice 2 back to more untold hours making characters in this game.

Why am I like this? :negative:

for just a -2 level penalty on the bonus domain.
LOL is that the only penalty???
Restrictions:
-2 levels and -2 to the stats you're using for whatever the domain powers give (so e.g. guarded hearth with 20 WIS acts as if its 18 WIS.
The domain you pick can't be alignment-opposed.
You also miss out on getting free proficiency with your god's favored weapon.

Seems like a pretty well balanced tradeoff to me. The few gods who already have 2 great domains don't need it much, and the ones with only 1 great domain but a great favored weapon won't get the favored weapon.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I played this again for the nth time ; I have a shitton of hours in it so I must enjoy it somehow, but I always leave disgusted. I don't know what it is that doesn't work in Pathfinder for me. Maybe it's the fact that the game breaks down midlevel where all the planning goes out the window in favor of buffing (which also rips apart the spell system), but maybe it has a lot to do with the engine : the endless loading times, the clunky combat. Regarding the later, it is completely insipid TB and slow as shit when played RtwP. At this point I do master the stupid character system, I got over the unintuitive elements and I can make incredible builds, but it's not satisfying. Somehow I prefer NWN to this (a game to which people have been making builds for 20 years ; I truly doubt you'll see this with this game, but I couldn't tell you why).

The writing is fun bombastic stuff and I guess the pathfinder lore is good (if only because it uses Lovecraft), but I don't know, it seems like I don't care. I do think the npcs were all quite good, I like Daeran (someone must have read some Wilde at Owlcat, even if "developers don't read their classics with their tiny uneducated brains" ; maybe Wilde isn't a classic in the first place for these people because, you know, he's a degenerate) and Camellia (who is truly helpful). I mean they're all good, Ember, Regill, etc, but they don't carry the game.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game would've been better with the same class and subclass diversity, but without the Mythic powers and levels. They simply break the underlying base system of Pathfinder.

It's why I love Kingmaker but don't even place WoTR on my favorite list.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I truly doubt you'll see this with this game, but I couldn't tell you why)
Because a lot of that was built into the classes themselves so abilities unlock and advance based on class level more than player level. The fun part of trying new designs is on the party level more than the class level where simply single-classing (with maybe a strategic tweak here or there) is better than most of the uber builds people come up with trying to effectively solo the game.

BubbleBuff helps with the buffing but yeah if you take full advantage of the Mythics the game becomes too solvable. Once you learn where all the key items are you can get to rocket tag where they enemies are always it even before the Mythics kick in.

There is still room there with thematic stipulations (like all Chaos party for instance, which eliminates Seelah, Daeran, and Sosiel so loses the classes that benefit most from the setting) to add back some challenge.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yes, it's the mythic powers that are the problem, not the endless copy paste encounter design, not the boring-as-shit crusade minigames, not the boring filler quests/content, not the retarded DLC implementations that ruin the game's difficulty curve by flooding you with XP whenever you visit them, not the moronic, anachronistic writing that makes you yearn for the days of BG2 when writers could at least write in an authentic manner befitting the setting

Yeah it's definitely mythic powers that are causing all the game's issues

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Considering that combat takes up most of the playtime in this game, yeah, Mythic Powers's problems become exacerbated compared to most other issues. Kingmaker has a lot in common with WoTR, yet seems to (generally) be regarded in a more positive light.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you could fix the problem of DLC though. Obviously players want unique and interesting items and the power level is already high as fuck so they'll need to overpowered just to be relevant. Obviously being able to do more stuff means more XP, unless you implement some kind of XP-scaling system where being overleveled gives you nothing (players generally hate this).

What other solution could there be? Make pieces of DLC content mutually exclusive with other side areas? Just start scaling encounter difficulty up the more XP you have?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Somehow I prefer NWN to this (a game to which people have been making builds for 20 years ; I truly doubt you'll see this with this game, but I couldn't tell you why).
That's because it gives you the freedom to be creative. There's a subclass for anything you can think of in Pathfinder, so it's not so much build creation as much as choosing a pre-defined option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom