Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Because I turned off the Parry to go for the Disarm. Managed to leave on the Power Attack tho (mistake). Maybe the damage was so low because I equipped CMB Shield and it turned off Duelist INT Damage and Swordlord DEX-to-damage?

Tanking Darkness? If you put a gun to my head I probably could. But no in that pic she lived a little over two rounds (no sneaks if you Door in) which would have been enough if Reg hadn’t been bugged. But that was on Core. Would take a lot more work on Unfair like Skald merc or something. First playthrough and I think I fought it once in Beta so I sucked.

That build doesn’t go untouchable until Legend, but yeah distracting with Summons is a good play vs bosses when you can but isn’t that workable with Dooring in on Darkness. The Summons are chaff for the Shadows that spawn to the rear.

Main thing I did last time I beat it is Door in and zerg with everybody so no time to tank.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
This is funny:

Ald16 big Perception.jpg

Wipe I think. Starting that fight with summons is bad idea. OTOH Darkness CAN be spotted, it's just very hard, at least with just See Invis + Perception.

The problem Parry solves is the main thing I've run into on Unfair and no amount of damage can fix, as you can see here:

Lannza1nomad7 crit unfair nulk.jpg

Lann takes down Nulkineth in less than a round but two nat 20s from adds have already killed (Student of Stone) MC. Last Stand helps but Nat 20s aren't all that uncommon and with double damage they can add up no matter how high your AC or damage. So what was a smooth MC in that Core playthrough with Aldori Defender5/Swordlord10/Defender5 (main function solid damage, resilient point of the spear, disabler/debuffer/AoO generator) became spectacular with Duelist10 plus the back-end of AD20, in an interesting way very different from other Legends. The weirdly low damage on the original pic must have been some kind of boneheaded move tho even at 50 a hit it adds up.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
That build doesn’t go untouchable until Legend, but yeah distracting with Summons is a good play vs bosses when you can but isn’t that workable with Dooring in on Darkness.
IIRC, you can't even Door on Darkness if you kill at the chapter 3 - there is special "rift" debuff on party that forbids any teleportation until rift is closed.

Desiderius

Patron
That build doesn’t go untouchable until Legend, but yeah distracting with Summons is a good play vs bosses when you can but isn’t that workable with Dooring in on Darkness.
IIRC, you can't even Door on Darkness if you kill at the chapter 3 - there is special "rift" debuff on party that forbids any teleportation until rift is closed.
Then don’t. No reason to. Big difference coming back just after Ch 4 starts, or at any time during. That Mythic level was a long time coming.

Similar to saving Blightmaw until you get the Valor Banner and your Mythic Path unlocked at Drezen Citadel.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How well do Druids and their summons scale in Wrath? Also I checked out some of the Mythic paths but none of them seemed to gel well with the Druidic flavor, apart from the Swam but that's only if you want to do an evil Druid run. Maybe Legend works for a Druid?

Desiderius

Patron
Might fit decent with Gold Dragon actually. Elemental Rampager maybe.

Was thinking about that last night. It does merge with Angel now IIRC.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Berry good. But the Druid itself, man. What about the Druid? cRPG implementations of D&D and D&D-esque Druids tend to be pretty lame. In Kingmaker it was fine, but I'm worried about the higher level scaling.

Stoned Ape

Savant
How well do Druids and their summons scale in Wrath? Also I checked out some of the Mythic paths but none of them seemed to gel well with the Druidic flavor, apart from the Swam but that's only if you want to do an evil Druid run. Maybe Legend works for a Druid?
Summons aren't great at killing things in Wrath, particularly late on. Pets are very strong, though.

A druid could become an Azata quite easily, they can get a treant summon and have quite a few nature-themed spells, too:

Nature's GraspAn enemy has to pass a Reflex saving throw or be ensnared in tree roots. While in this state, the enemy cannot move, and has a 50% miss chance on all attacks, as if all their opponents had total concealment. Each round enemy tries to pass another Reflex saving throw to break free. If the save fails, the enemy suffers 1d6 + half the Azata's caster level bludgeoning damage.

Field of FlowersAzata creates a 30-feet area of blossoming flowers. They entangle and calm enemies, enemies have to pass a Reflex saving throw. They try to pass a saving throw each round while they are within affected area. If enemy failed saving throw first time, they are distracted by flowers. Distracted enemies receive a -2 penalty to attack and damage. If enemy failed saving throw the second time, the enemy become staggered. If the enemy failed saving throw the third time, the enemy falls asleep for 1d4 rounds. After the enemy awakes from sleep he is immune to being staggered or fall asleep from this Spell, but still suffers the penalties.

Deadly BeautyAzata covers herself in flowers with tiny bees. She gets DR 5/Adamantine. Any creature that makes a successful melee attack against Azata takes 1d6 + her caster level points of piercing damage.

Sudden SquallAzata creates a 15-feet cone of wind dealing 3d6 + her caster level sonic damage to all enemies inside it. Every affected enemy has to pass a Fortitude saving throw or become disoriented and unable to cast any spells for 1d3 rounds.

WaterfallAzata creates a waterfall, the affected creature suffers a 1d10 bludgeoning damage per 4 Azata's caster levels and has to pass a Fortitude saving throw or be knocked down for 1 round and become weak to cold for 1 minute per Azata's caster level.

Protection of NatureAzata enwelops her and her companions in a shroud of swirling leaves. Under this effect, all attacks against Azata and her companions suffer a 50% miss chance. You become immune to cold damage, whenever an enemy casts a spells cast against you, they suffer 1d6 sonic damage per 5 Azata's caster levels.

Winds of the FallAzata creates a 30-feet cone of leaves that deals 1d10 slashing damage per 2 caster levels to all creatures within the cone. A creature who suffers damage from this spell has to pass a Will saving throw or become intoxicated for 1 round per caster level. Whenever the creature under this effect makes a roll, it rolls twice and chooses the worst result. A successful saving throw reduces the duration of this effect to 1 round.

Water TorrentAzata summons a wave of water. It deals 6d6 bludgeoning damage to all enemies in the area. Every affected enemy has to pass a Fortitude saving throw or be knocked down, slowed down and become vulnerable to bludgeoning damage for 1d6 rounds. All allies affected by this wave are cleansed from all of the following conditions: ability damage, blinded, confused, dazzled, diseased, exhausted, fatigued, nauseated, poisoned, and sickened.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Summons aren't great at killing things in Wrath, particularly late on. Pets are very strong, though.

A druid could become an Azata quite easily, they can get a treant summon and have quite a few nature-themed spells, too:

Interesting, although slightly disappointing for the nice Worm. Did the animal companions get some rebalancing or is Smilodon still considered to be one of the stronger ones? I'd probably still pick the Centipede again anyway since I like that one the most.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Interesting, although slightly disappointing for the nice Worm. Did the animal companions get some rebalancing or is Smilodon still considered to be one of the stronger ones? I'd probably still pick the Centipede again anyway since I like that one the most.

Leopard is very strong. They've also added velocirpator and triceratops options. Velociraptor is also decent, though not as good as a leopard or smilodon.

https://pathfinderwrathoftherighteous.wiki.fextralife.com/Animal+Companion+-+Velociraptor

Velociraptor gets an absolutely broken number of attacks at higher levels (which is what's being nerfed I think) along with pounce. It does have the drawback of being more difficult to ride since its a size smaller though.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Velociraptor gets an absolutely broken number of attacks at higher levels (which is what's being nerfed I think) along with pounce. It does have the drawback of being more difficult to ride since its a size smaller though.
Smaller Size is arguably an advantage. At least if you want to charge.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you plan a summoner druid, then Aeon would be the strongest path. As many of its powers affect all allies (for example Bane & über Dispel on their attacks, could even stun dispelled enemies).

Desiderius

Patron

Centipede is a solid choice with Vermin Immunities, scaling Poison (though Demons immune), and more skill pts (and pets can get high skills/need for prereqs/UMD etc…) or at least it does in CotW. No INT stat so uses WIS for skill pts? Might also let it unlock CMs?

There are no straight-up weak pets, all have a niche.

Desiderius

Patron
If you plan a summoner druid, then Aeon would be the strongest path. As many of its powers affect all allies (for example Bane & über Dispel on their attacks, could even stun dispelled enemies).
There’s already a decent amount of Summon support on Mythics, items, and the like. Angel gets group buffing aura as well. Aeon neutrality fits with Aeon but not so much the Lawlful.

If you like Wild Shaping then Gold Dragon is the ultimate there, and it can get Pounce (I think) from Dragon Feats (no prereq).

Desiderius

Patron
I haven’t done it in Wrath but (big but) higher level Druid summons should be able to do damage even at higher difficulties with enough support. There are a lot of ways to debuff stuff in addition to all the group boosts on your side.

Starting with 1d4+1 Leopards (with max/empower rod). I had better luck with Druid summons than Wiz/Cleric in P:K. And you’ve also got Mythic Summons and good item summons.

Stoned Ape

Savant
There’s already a decent amount of Summon support on Mythics, items, and the like. Angel gets group buffing aura as well. Aeon neutrality fits with Aeon but not so much the Lawlful.

If you like Wild Shaping then Gold Dragon is the ultimate there, and it can get Pounce (I think) from Dragon Feats (no prereq).
Unfortunately, you could take the feat as a Gold Dragon, it just didn't do anything if you weren't a Kitsune in fox form.

Similarly, when taking Advanced Weapon Training feats you could pick them, they just did nothing unless you had the Weapon Training class feature.

Also, it was pretty pointless taking any of the Improved x or Greater x feats without having the earlier ones in the tree because they didn't work effectively without them (not sure about Vital Strike, but it was true for 2-Weapon Fighting and weapon specialization).

Desiderius

Patron

Unfortunately, you could take the feat as a Gold Dragon, it just didn't do anything if you weren't a Kitsune in fox form.

Similarly, when taking Advanced Weapon Training feats you could pick them, they just did nothing unless you had the Weapon Training class feature.

Also, it was pretty pointless taking any of the Improved x or Greater x feats without having the earlier ones in the tree because they didn't work effectively without them (not sure about Vital Strike, but it was true for 2-Weapon Fighting and weapon specialization).
Yeah, but that can be planned around, so if you have a class with Rage you could pick up Greater Animal without the prior Totems. Maybe. Definitely something to wait on until abilities are cleaned up. Tabletop Tweaks is a big help but there's still stuff missing.

I think I'll try a Dragonheir Scion with Natural Weapon Training that has to rely on scrolls and/or Nenio to transform until finally getting there with Gold Dragon. Maybe a redeemed Demon playthrough.

Scion gets free Dazzling at lvl 6 as a Standard Action (with Intimidate bonuses with level), and free Arcane Strike without any casting ability that tacks on an Elemental packet at lvl 4, so sets up for Barrage maybe. Also sclaing Nat Armor bonus to help while transformed. Tweaks has a Mythic Shatter that makes mob Flat-footed to everybody.

Desiderius

Patron
Haplo I think that Entropy Cleric archetype I was talking about might be from Tabletop Tweaks. Also noticed Nature Fang in there. Fang might also make decent Gold Dragon.

Stoned Ape

Savant

Yeah, but that can be planned around, so if you have a class with Rage you could pick up Greater Animal without the prior Totems. Maybe. Definitely something to wait on until abilities are cleaned up. Tabletop Tweaks is a big help but there's still stuff missing.

I think I'll try a Dragonheir Scion with Natural Weapon Training that has to rely on scrolls and/or Nenio to transform until finally getting there with Gold Dragon. Maybe a redeemed Demon playthrough.

Scion gets free Dazzling at lvl 6 as a Standard Action (with Intimidate bonuses with level), and free Arcane Strike without any casting ability that tacks on an Elemental packet at lvl 4, so sets up for Barrage maybe. Also sclaing Nat Armor bonus to help while transformed. Tweaks has a Mythic Shatter that makes mob Flat-footed to everybody.
It sounds like a fun RP build. Was always concerned about the implementation of Dragonheir, specifically if Owlcat actually made levels of it count as arcane caster levels for Arcane Strike to add damage properly.

Draconic Bloodline is nice to have, though. Later on, you could get Ember to give you claws with her hexes and you could also go for a race with a natural bite attack, then get close to the abyss for the horns.

I while ago I was messing about with a stigmatized witch Kitsune with the sharp-nails hex and wolf-scarred face for a way to get into dragon disciple for a third bite. Less keen on it with the fixed spell failure % added to the curse now, though.

Desiderius

Patron
It sounds like a fun RP build. Was always concerned about the implementation of Dragonheir, specifically if Owlcat actually made levels of it count as arcane caster levels for Arcane Strike to add damage properly.

Draconic Bloodline is nice to have, though. Later on, you could get Ember to give you claws with her hexes and you could also go for a race with a natural bite attack, then get close to the abyss for the horns.

I while ago I was messing about with a stigmatized witch Kitsune with the sharp-nails hex and wolf-scarred face for a way to get into dragon disciple for a third bite. Less keen on it with the fixed spell failure % added to the curse now, though.
The Witch with the free Enlarge (Hagbound?) works well for early Natural Attax but I guess wouldn't unlock Disciple. I was thinking about Disciple into GD but too much duplication between the two I think.

Nenio can make scrolls of her personal Beast Shape spells pretty early, and don't need Natural Attax on Scion until Weapon Training at 5. Can get Unarmed from background and fight with that since it counts with Natural training too. Nenio gets Polymorph at lvl 9 and Poly, Greater at 13 to keep you in Leopard/Smilo form. Those (and scrolls before then) can turn on the Mythic Polymorph bonus. Can buy high level scrolls for hard fights.

It's RP but won't necessarily suck. Standard Action Dazzling usually costs a Mythic and even then has a -5 malus to the Intimidate so it's a unique effect in the game, and Scion also gives the rnd/lvl*2 Intimidate bonus. Always on Acid Maw (eats your Swift so choose Mythic Path accordingly) should also have some applications with all those attax on Smilo/Dragon even if Strike doesn't progress, which would be annoying but not fatal.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Berry good. But the Druid itself, man. What about the Druid? cRPG implementations of D&D and D&D-esque Druids tend to be pretty lame. In Kingmaker it was fine, but I'm worried about the higher level scaling.
it same lame, you feel more like a druid by giving advice to ogre about headaches and summoning boring beetles in Icewind Dale than any 3.5 or equivalent game.
too much overlap in spells, and unique spells are :Mand summonz are just :shittydog: :shittydog::shittydog:

Desiderius

Patron
it same lame, you feel more like a druid by giving advice to ogre about headaches and summoning boring beetles in Icewind Dale than any 3.5 or equivalent game.
too much overlap in spells, and unique spells are :Mand summonz are just :shittydog: :shittydog::shittydog:
https://youtu.be/IjjCp_QU5Qk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom