Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - now with The Lord of Nothing DLC

Sarathiour

Cipher
As the water elemental meme is back, is there actually a way of killing him which does not include cheesing him trough kite ?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Well, I must be missing something then, because my party sure had neither the ressource for a burst nor someone capable of taking hit reliably.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, I must be missing something then, because my party sure had neither the ressource for a burst nor someone capable of taking hit reliably.

It's been awhile but...
If you're struggling, there's a potion of frost resistance or protection in the dungeon that you can pop on a character. Having that character draw aggro will help. You don't strictly need the potion, but it provides insurance.
Use your buffs, both spells and consumables. You can use defensive attack on the character who's being attacked in order to add some valuable AC. Your goal should be to pump AC on a character being attacked (Camellia is ideal for this) and possibly add frost resistance and then have everyone else beat the piss out of the elemental.
There are a lot of nice glaives around and both Wenduag and Seelah can use them for good damage. If you've got Lann instead of Wenduag, you can use thrown javelins to get his strength bonus and swap back to bows later. It's important to increase your base damage since the elemental has a DR of like 5 or 10 (I don't recall), making base damage important.
Elementals are immune to sneak attacks, so don't even bother trying stuff like this, just try and buff Camellia to avoid being hit, send her in first, and then nuke the piss out of it.
This may be counter intuitive, but do note that you can send a water elemental prone, so spells like grease are really powerful if you've got someone who can cast it.
If you don't want to use Camellia to tank, her witch hexes like evil eye and such can hit the water elemental, they're not immune to mind affecting statuses.

There should be something in there to get you started. Don't forget that you can look at the info of the monsters to see its abilities and immunities if you've passed the appropriate lore checks. It can be worthwhile to have a peek just to see what you can see if you don't already know them.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I mean, my whole point is that at level 2 I'm missing a whole lot of buff.
No divine caster, so no prayer, no heroism.
I don't have the save anymore, but I don't think I got a javelin for lann, who was the main damage dealer so far, and as you pointed out, quite ineffective against the DR.
Camelia also has a terrible AC at this point, seelah was still more effective as a tank. Frost damage can be mitigated, but slam attack is still going to two shot any character hit by hit.
Honestly, my mistake was not having grease on my magus, would have made the combat a lot easier.
I think that's my main beef with some of the counter in the game : they are far from insurmountable, but if you don't know what's up next, you can very easily get fucked because of your lack of tool, especially early on.

On the same topic, I wish a very fun time for whoever played on core or more blindly, and went against the vevesetor swarm of chapter 2 without ascended element. I'm sure they had a lot of fun.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't have the save anymore, but I don't think I got a javelin for lann, who was the main damage dealer so far, and as you pointed out, quite ineffective against the DR.
Camelia also has a terrible AC at this point, seelah was still more effective as a tank. Frost damage can be mitigated, but slam attack is still going to two shot any character hit by hit.
Honestly, my mistake was not having grease on my magus, would have made the combat a lot easier.
I think that's my main beef with some of the counter in the game : they are far from insurmountable, but if you don't know what's up next, you can very easily get fucked because of your lack of tool, especially early on.

On the same topic, I wish a very fun time for whoever played on core or more blindly, and went against the vevesetor swarm of chapter 2 without ascended element. I'm sure they had a lot of fun.

Sorry, I thought you were looking for constructive tips that are valid for any party. I didn't realize that you just wanted a chance to whine. Carry on. Or visit the thread like 400 pages ago and live vicariously. You do you.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I didn't realize that you just wanted a chance to whine

Come on, I acknowledge that grease and javelin were indeed useful, but that's still pretty far from a non-cheese situation. I got a few buff with the help of potion, like shield of faith, barskin and blur, but it still allowed him to hit me around 50%-40% of the the time on the tank, and that was on seelah. Switching on camellia can help me getting a slot for glaive, and I guess I should also have taken a two handed weapon on my magus. It's still going to be pretty hard managing to make him loose, what 70 hp in 3 round ? At level 2 with 2 to three party member, that's pretty steep.
I should maybe try to be a bot more whiney and post that on owlcat forum, so that desidirus can inslut me and post a screenshot proving why I'm wrong because I did not have x,y,z parchment or potion that could actually have been found trough a perception check in the hall between the library and the armory.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Eh I know what you mean. But these games aren't really good for immersive continuous (non-reloading) playthroughs on first try on the hardest difficulties. If you want that fresh, immersive first experience with continuity (which I gather is what you're looking for from your "if you don't know what's up next"), you have to play on Challenging at most, and Normal to be safe. It just comes with the territory of having only a few HP to start with - you're almost always the victim of bad RNG on Core and up unless you know the game inside out. These are games in which the difficulties are quite meaningful and not to be taken lightly (unlike many modern games where you can slam it up to max and it's about the equivalent of Normal in the olden days).

Just blow the potions and doodads you've found (especially the frost resistance one mediocrepoet mentioned). Every +1 or -1 counts. The climax villain fight in that whole area, a while afterwards, is actually easier (though you should try and keep a few potions for it).

Also, it's meant to be an optional fight (and the in-game lore warns you away from it too), so there's no shame in getting the Achievement some other time with builds that have a better chance.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, I think this evening when I'm done with this week, and I can game a bit, I'm coming back to this. These patch notes are glorious. :lol:

Sarathiour

Cipher

Eh I know what you mean. But these games aren't really good for immersive continuous (non-reloading) playthroughs on first try on the hardest difficulties. If you want that fresh, immersive first experience with continuity (which I gather is what you're looking for from your "if you don't know what's up next"), you have to play on Challenging at most, and Normal to be safe. It just comes with the territory of having only a few HP to start with - you're almost always the victim of bad RNG on Core and up unless you know the game inside out. These are games in which the difficulties are quite meaningful and not to be taken lightly (unlike many modern games where you can slam it up to max and it's about the equivalent of Normal in the olden days).

Just blow the potions and doodads you've found (especially the frost resistance one mediocrepoet mentioned). Every +1 or -1 counts. The climax villain fight in that whole area, a while afterwards, is actually easier (though you should try and keep a few potions for it).

Also, it's meant to be an optional fight (and the in-game lore warns you away from it too), so there's no shame in getting the Achievement some other time with builds that have a better chance.

I'm currently at the beginning of chapter 3 anyway, and as mentioned a few page before, playing in daring as a baseline. So I'm way past it, and just remember it by comparing his stat mo mine fully buffed to "this ain't gonna cut it, chief". When I replay it in the future, I'll probably post screenshot again to have a rough estimation of how feasible it was.
Anyway those kind of thing are especially egregious and present in the first two chapter, mainly because you lack or are severely restricted in tool you can use. Once you replay the it I guess it's far easier to buy the scroll and potion you know that you are going to need for the sudden cutthroat ambush.

Also, difficulty is awkward, like the most difficult encounter in chapter 2 is probably against the sorceress who's summoning a demon in drezen. She's actually stronger than the demon itself, so you face a more difficult fight with less loot if you actually interrupt the ritual midway. Uhm , okay.

I'm not going to comment on the crusading system :deadhorse:

zapotec

Liturgist
Does exist a website like the nwn2 char builder website for these pathfinder videogames?
I blame youtube videos with huhuhuh best build for your class huhuhuhuh for the disappeareance of that kind of websites.

The arcanum char builder... the fallout char builder, nwn char builder....

Thonius

Arcane
lul https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3217266488992169647

Update 1.4.22j

A new patch 1.4.22j is out! We've removed some things you hated and added some fixes you've asked about!

Highlights:
  • We’ve added the ratfolk race;
  • Water elemental from the Shield Maze is now called The Last Azlanti Slayer in memory of all the lives lost during the Last Azlanti Challenge;
  • Nenio’s memory leak has been fixed;
  • Mod support has been disabled;
  • Fixed the issue which blocked the access to the Mythic Path of the Unicorn;
  • You can import Pathfinder: Kingmaker saves now;
  • The mark on Baphomet’s face has been replaced with a “Looser” sign.

Beware of possible plot spoilers!

Quests
  • Fixed the issue that was blocking the romantic dialogue options with Regill after the duel;
  • Lann could survive sparing on the walls of the Drezen - fixed;
  • Fixed the issue with Woljif's romance, now he steals equipment from the inventory after each date, as intended;
  • Fixed the issue with Elven Notes — now all 394 of them can be found in various locations all over the game;
  • The scene of jealousy with Ramien has been fixed;
  • Now you can equip a dress for the Daeran's party. Only available for male characters;
  • Added unique romance for the Swarm That Walks - Deskari;
  • Fixed the quest, which involved Mortal Kombat between companions for the love of the Commander.
Areas
  • Fixed the bug where Water Elemental, also known as “The Last Azlanti Slayer” wasn’t chasing the player all over the Shield Maze;
  • The Boulder's status as the last citizen of Sarkoris has been restored;
  • Added a new mini-game in the Fourth Act — 3D Tetris with islands;
  • Increased the number of areas where Turn-Based combat mode turns on forcefully: The Defense of the Tavern, Assault on Drezen, Black Water, etc.;
  • Added previously missing 9996 delights to “Ten Thousand Delights”;
  • Wrong lightning in the location of the wedding of Commander and Nocticula - fixed.
Crusade
  • Added a real-time with pause mode for the tactical battles;
  • Added a new artifact: Armageddon's blade;
  • Snipers lost access to bows and now can only use knives;
  • Mimic chests are available for every Mythic Path to hire.
Classes & Mechanics
  • Fixed the issue that allowed barbarians to exit the rage state;
  • Clerics on the Trickster mythic path now have access to the “Beer” domain;
  • Inquisitors now have a ”Nobody expects the Mendevian Inquisition” ability;
  • Flame dancers can now perform “Torture Dance”;
  • Battle singers now have access to a new song;
  • Added an option to polymorph into an owlcat;
  • You can now pet the companions who were polymorphed into animals;
  • Wenduag won’t be able to carry a torch anymore. Spiders are scared of fire;
  • AC of Playful Darkness has been increased to 150, even on the “Story” difficulty;
  • Cayden Cailean's clerics now have access to a new pet — “Beer mug”;
  • Trever’s classes and feats have been rebalanced. Now he has 2 levels of Paladin, 3 levels of Hellknight, 3 levels of Monk, 2 levels of Primalist, 2 levels of Archeologist, 1 level of Magus, and 1 level of Oracle.
Misc
  • The crossbow in the main menu is now categorized as a feature, not a bug.
87b94e57c31c683b23623768585a463741713ff4.jpg
They got me at ratfolk, I was excited for whole 1 nanosecond letting my guard down!:argh:

Sarathiour

Cipher
UXMqVyB.png

W H A T

Also, got another one while auto casting acid touch, where I hit Regill and the duplicated it into my face :deathclaw:
Zippy magic definitely run on pure spaghetti code, and I'm not sure I want to know how bad it was before 1.2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1184370/view/3217266488992050521

Update 1.2.2a

Crusaders!

A new patch 1.2.2a has arrived!

Known issue: We were getting reports about an issue with the spell progression when merging the spellbook of an oracle with Angel’s. It currently works correctly, giving you oracle spells based on your oracle caster level on non-mythic level up, and giving you mythic spells from the summed-up caster level on mythic level up. Earlier, before we fixed oracle's spellbook merging, you were getting oracle spells based on the summed-up caster level, but not the mythic spells. We will update the description of the merged book in one of the nearest patches for more clarity.

Beware of possible plot spoilers!

Areas
  • Companions could be missing from the council before the siege of Drezen. Again. We've dragged them back, once more.
Classes & Mechanics
  • Character creation for a Devil character has been fixed in the DLC;
  • Inevitable Fate ability could be used more than once per day — fixed;
  • Newly created Swarm That Walks started with the 0 swarm size — fixed;
  • The Anomaly Distortion effects in the DLC now disappear after the combat ends;
  • The Inevitable Fate ability now works correctly with healing spells;
  • Trickster's Persuasion 3 rank could ruin some boss encounters, making them unbeatable — fixed.
Misс
  • Daeran is no longer immortal now, so be careful with what you do with him;

d3a06da4270ec96d9f04bdd21112f39fa564b36d.jpg

• The game was asking to choose a save to import from the Inevitable Excess DLC campaign, when there was only one appropriate save — fixed.

kangaxx

Arbiter
With no spoilers, how long is this game on average? I stopped a few months ago 60h in because it seemed like I wasn't even half way in and I baulked at it. I want to finish the game but I don't know if I have the will... Kingmaker took me 120h.

I'm at the part where the Queen breaks the seal and you enter the demon hideout under Drezen.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
With no spoilers, how long is this game on average? I stopped a few months ago 60h in because it seemed like I wasn't even half way in and I baulked at it. I want to finish the game but I don't know if I have the will... Kingmaker took me 120h.

I'm at the part where the Queen breaks the seal and you enter the demon hideout under Drezen.
I clocked my first playthrough on Core at around 130ish hours.

The thing is a lot of those time is spent in the unbalanced Crusade mode which is a lot of tiring timesink. If you don't like that part of the game just install Toybox, give you an army and just demolish stuffs, and focus on the CRPG aspect.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I cheated on the crusade mode so it's no effort for me. It's one of the worst features I've ever seen in a videogame.

If you effectively cut that out how long would say the game takes? I like to see most of the exploration content, but I don't care if I miss the odd bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom