Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

TigerKnee

Arcane
Even most fan-translators nowadays consider leaving the honorifics in as bad practice, Persona just wants to be "special".

BUaFz.jpg

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Again, they have never left in -tachi since that's more of a grammar particle meaning "and others," used to indicated multiple people since Japanese has no plural. Nor will you ever find the word baka in a Persona game.

Look, you're comparing apples to bananas. Why would you change it now? People would get upset if they suddenly changed this style - no matter how much you like or dislike it - halfway. What does it concern you anyway? Those games are 100% weeb. I find it hard to imagine someone who would otherwise like them, but is turned off solely by the honorifics. I mean... what about eating octopus balls for lunch?

Localization is a difficult issue to tackle. Sometimes, with Russian authors, people used to wonder if we shouldn't transport the setting into Germany, back in the day, and call it good localization.

Here's another game that was... localized.

comic331_zps0e179cf7.png

Last edited:

rhophiehalul78

Literate
I wasn't annoyed when they used honorifics in P4. Probably because I encounter them on a regular basis. Besides, it's appropriate and fitting in the Japanese school setting.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Sup' weaboos. I've been thinking lately about embracing my inner jfaggotry and playing some jgames.

So what's good about the series. Other than tomboy waifus.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turn-based combat, "capture" and mix Personas to use for combat. Good music. Some of the games have good stories.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You get inside your TV to enter an inter-dimensional strip-club to rescue a teenager from her wild and shameful sex fantasies. There is nothing else to add.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's also a very disconcerting squishy sound while she grinds against the pole.

I mean, maybe that's what straight people like, I don't judge.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Why can't 5 be out yet....!

Actually, take your time, I need to hustle a used PS4.

Martius

Liturgist
Unless someone at Atlus (USA) will get great idea of not localizing this version.

Martius

Liturgist
According to bigger publishers some of cross platform games sold much better on ps4 and xbox rather than ps3 and 360. For example Square released only Dragon Quest Heroes on ps4 for west.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There are some games that are getting PS3 and PS4 releases in Japan but not a PS3 release in the West. Star Ocean 5 comes to mind.

Martius

Liturgist
So.... Another delay incoming?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom