Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

duanth123

Arcane
Mind = Zero needs to be released on PC. Had more fun playing that than any Persona.

If it were released on PC such that I could use cheat engine to double speed the gameplay, I would

:d1p:
For some reason, I found the general tempo of battle to be incredibly grating

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
How can anybody enjoy persona 3 tartarus sections(which make most of the game) is beyond me.
Countless floors of the same boring corridors with just a palette swap to differentiate between them.
Persona 4 wins automatically by not having tartarus.
Well, tartarus had one advantage. The floors were small and you could skip 70% of them. Only the autists who had to clear every level truly suffered.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Persona also got the best song out of anything, it must be in P5 also.

Viata

Arcane
How can anybody enjoy persona 3 tartarus sections(which make most of the game) is beyond me.
Countless floors of the same boring corridors with just a palette swap to differentiate between them.
Well, tartarus had one advantage. The floors were small and you could skip 70% of them. Only the autists who had to clear every level truly suffered.

Exactly, there's always a thrill in these games to see how deep you can delve before running in to trouble. It also makes level grinding must more palatable when you have the option to grind against enemies 5 levels above you and make it 3-4x as fast. Persona 4 locked you HARD to stuff right along your current level most of the time.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
P3 locked you as well. But of course it had relatively brutal difficulty, when you didn't abuse the return to the lobby rest system.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Exactly, there's always a thrill in these games to see how deep you can delve before running in to trouble. It also makes level grinding must more palatable when you have the option to grind against enemies 5 levels above you and make it 3-4x as fast. Persona 4 locked you HARD to stuff right along your current level most of the time.
There was also the 'health' system which helped divide the game more naturally in terms of social link stuff vs dungeon crawling. One of the issues I had with P4 was that it made me go through each dungeon once and that's it. So I'd have these long chucks of social crap which get boring, followed by long chunks of endless fights against the same 3 enemies, kinda made everything shit.

That might have just been my own variation of ocd though :D

Viata

Arcane
The health system is broken. You can do every dungeon once at the last night before the boss and you'll not be tired. Get good level, no tiredness, beat boss. Rinse and repeat. Both P3 and P4 I did the dugeons one day and that's it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The amount of fights you are able to do before losing health is determined by your level. It became a non-existent problem halfway through the game.

20saoep.png

Negotiations cofirmed.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh, nice. While they always feel like complete nonsense (especially SMT 1 negotiation), I thought it was pretty damn funny. If a bit annoying.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Negotiations are one of the high points of the series for sure, so I'm glad they are in Persona 5. Most of the conversations are really bizarre and funny and give the demons some added personality.

aweigh

Arcane
best persona game is p1 for ps1 because it mixes main series SMT first-person dungeon crawling with most robust combat system and negotiation system in any SMT game that's come out before or after while introducing the new for the series concept of character-driven plot and storylines and interesting mixture of humor and demonic culture clash.

come at me.

persona-8.png

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

7.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

37374-Persona_-_Revelations_[NTSC-U]-3.png

persona-2.png

persona_battle.jpg

SLUS_00339_21072010_083106_0937.jpg

playstation-43390-31335463164.png

pers104.jpg

Last edited:

aweigh

Arcane
it also has the best soundtrack of any smt game. the original release of course; the remake butchered the game completely and also replaced the gothic-techno OST with jpop.

haunting piano and vangelis-inspired electronic swaths. NOTHING sets the mood like this track; this is the game's intro theme!

haunting electronic melodies:

now THIS is some shit to give you motherfucking chills while exploring a dungeon:

absolutely the best verion of the persona main theme ever composed:

pandora's battle theme:

the original release of p1 is fucking dripping with atmosphere of gothic horror, sadness and longing.

Last edited:

aweigh

Arcane
yet even more unbelievably evocative piano that instantly transports you into a world of demons and sadness:

after p1 original release for psx i consider the second best SMT game to be the original release of soul hackers and in 3rd place the ps2 release of main series smt 3: nocturne.

Modron

Arcane
Threads gone all anchors aweigh like the rest of jrpg forum :smug:. That said seeing the older personas again is cool.

I agree Persona 1 is best music-wise, mainly for that track:

It also has best dungeons out of all Persona games (especially during Snow Queen's Quest) but is it really the best Persona as a whole? I'll vote for P4.

Here're screenshots from my playthrough:

Persona 1:
wa6kcl.jpg

iymrzb.jpg

Main story final boss:
330vaeu.jpg

2m3ie76.jpg

30wxxqs.jpg

121est1.jpg

Snow Queen's quest sub-boss
2bxg60.jpg

Pathetically broken final battle of SQQ:
w1d05g.jpg

35mm7ib.jpg

2505saa.jpg

Best cameo ever:
osh3px.jpg

2a919xv.jpg

v7dvzl.jpg

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
after p1 original release for psx i consider the second best SMT game to be the original release of soul hackers and in 3rd place the ps2 release of main series smt 3: nocturne.

What's wrong with Sould Hackers re-releases?

aweigh

Arcane
i haven't played the 3ds release. i used to be uber into smt back int he day and i consider p1 to be one of the more lasting game impressions on my young self. aside from earthbound i don't think any other rpg has ever stuck itself so deeply into my consciousness and remained there for going on two decades afterwards now.

so yeah, i was extremely into smt as a teenager and i played through majority of soul hackers psx .iso with a translation walkthrough, although i didn't finish it. i don't own a 3ds but what with its updated graphics i'm sure a lot of the charm and atmosphere will be lost just like what happened with p1 remake on psp.

heh, for whatever reason as a teenager i was way more capable of playing through game in another language than i am now at 30 years old. man, it truly is the eternal truth that the spirit of youth is unstoppable.

edit: you know, the only rpg series to have revitalized my love and obsession for a series of games in DECADES is Wizardry and its progeny, i.e. Elminage and the like. i haven't felt so deeply attached and wired into every facet of an rpg series of games since literally back when i was obsessed with p1, p2, trying to finish soul hackers in japanese, playing translated roms (Which at the time were ongoing!) of smt 1 and smt 2 and day-dreaming about the "upcoming" patch for smt If... hah.

now i find myself in a somewhat similar situation with the japanese wizardry games and translation issues! oh how history is doomed to repeat itself :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom