Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

zwanzig_zwoelf

Everyone knows that Soul Hackers is clearly the best.
Soul Hackers has nothing to do with SMT too, since it's part of Devil Summoner series. :cool:

roll-a-die

Magister
Atlus has a long running practice of adding 'Shin Megami Tensei' into names of unrelated games, which doesn't turn the game into a part of SMT series. The actual name of so-called 'SMT: Persona' is Megami Ibunroku Persona, and it has zero relation to SMT series.

And PSP version is utter shit, btw.
Actually the franchise is called Megami Tensei, or Megaten, friend. Shin Megami Tensei, is just a parallel limb of the franchise not even the originating branch(there were several Megami Tensei games prior to Shin.) Each branch of it has similar themes but differing gameplay. As far as the best branch of the franchise, the modern Persona has a lack of grimdark nineties-esque neo-mysticism bullshit to it that I like. And the way the two modern persona games interlock without actually touching each other or interacting is quite... Satisfying in a day and age where every franchise is touting itself as a glorious trilogy with massive potential.

The gameplay in them is arguably better, or at least more comprehensible and consistent than Persona 1 and 2, though I do miss things like dealing "light Nuclear damage." or "medium Arrow damage" and status effects happening from talking to monsters. Also the persona 1 that was originally translated into English was a travesty, and Persona 1 on PSP was actually far better than Revelations: Persona, if you don't want to have to bugger around with potential fan translations(I don't even know if a non-machine translation is available for the original, and the translation in the PSP version is not that bad.), and getting bullshit PS1 emulation working( scrounging around for a Japanese bios, getting the right plugins working, etc, etc.)

Anyway, quit trying to act as King Weeb, and come off your high horse. Persona 3 and 4 are incredibly competent progressive examples of a genre that historically didn't mix things up much. They add a lot of the JRPG genre. And modernized their interfaces well. More than that, they didn't go through the growing pains that FF and DQ did, with regards to gameplay. They feel like a step sideways rather than forward or backwards from Persona 1 and 2. Setting it on a different track, that is different but not worse.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Actually the franchise is called Megami Tensei, or Megaten, friend.
That's what I was implying all along.

Also the persona 1 that was originally translated into English was a travesty, and Persona 1 on PSP was actually far better than Revelations: Persona, if you don't want to have to bugger around with potential fan translations(I don't even know if a non-machine translation is available for the original, and the translation in the PSP version is not that bad.), and getting bullshit PS1 emulation working( scrounging around for a Japanese bios, getting the right plugins working, etc, etc.)
I couldn't care less about the translation. Persona 1 on PSP lost the charm of the original game by throwing away the original music and replacing it with that j-pop crap Meguro is eager to produce.
Also, getting PSX games to work on the emulator is easy. Perhaps you never tried it?

Anyway, quit trying to act as King Weeb, and come off your high horse. Persona 3 and 4 are incredibly competent progressive examples of a genre that historically didn't mix things up much. They add a lot of the JRPG genre. And modernized their interfaces well. More than that, they didn't go through the growing pains that FF and DQ did, with regards to gameplay. They feel like a step sideways rather than forward or backwards from Persona 1 and 2. Setting it on a different track, that is different but not worse.
If you don't mind the decline and juvenile faggotry, it's okay. But I can't stand it. Also, I doubt most of these Personafags even played the original/early MT games or gave them a proper go.

And this doesn't exclude it from being the best. :cool:
No objections about it, brah. First 2 Devil Summoner games are good enough to be on par with original MT and SMT. :cool:

roll-a-die

Magister
That's what I was implying all along.
And then, why pray tell, are you denying the Persona series being of the Megaten games?

I couldn't care less about the translation. Persona 1 on PSP lost the charm of the original game by throwing away the original music and replacing it with that j-pop crap Meguro is eager to produce.
Also, getting PSX games to work on the emulator is easy. Perhaps you never tried it?
My experiences trying to set up a PS1 emulator are over 7 years old now. Last I recall you had to scour 4 websites for the emulator, the sound plugins, the graphics plug-ins, and a controller plugin, procure a bios, fish out someone somewhere who has the japanese roms, find the translation website that may or may not have even existed at that point, I only got as far as the Japanese roms last time.

I will however ask, is J-Pop really that bad? I quite enjoy it. It mixes things up nicely. Music to me is secondary in games. It's something nice to listen to. But often I turn it all the way down and play my own music.

If you don't mind the decline and juvenile faggotry, it's okay. But I can't stand it. Also, I doubt most of these Personafags even played the original/early MT games or gave them a proper go.
I think you are misusing the words juvenile. And why are you calling it decline. I'm all for encouraging people to play older games it's often an eye opener. However, to simply write off Persona 3 and 4 as "Decline and Juvenile faggotry," is to deny a series that is actually doing things "right," as far as story and gameplay goes in JRPG's. Fairly realistic, if fairly loosely characterized, people with actual motivations that go beyond, the standard fare of FF/DQ's drivel. It's innovating beyond just being something like Pokemon with 90's Neo-mysticism grimdark fuckery.

No objections about it, brah. First 2 Devil Summoner games are good enough to be on par with original MT and SMT. :cool:
Devil Summoner was indeed quite good. Persona is quite good, the whole god damn franchise is quite good, if I were to give my personal favorite, not just what I think does things the "best overall," it'd have to be Digital Devil Saga.

zwanzig_zwoelf

And then, why pray tell, are you denying the Persona series being of the Megaten games?
Re-read my messages. Persona = part of Megaten, but Persona != part of SMT.
My experiences trying to set up a PS1 emulator are over 7 years old now. Last I recall you had to scour 4 websites for the emulator, the sound plugins, the graphics plug-ins, and a controller plugin, procure a bios, fish out someone somewhere who has the japanese roms, find the translation website that may or may not have even existed at that point, I only got as far as the Japanese roms last time.
PSX emulation existed since early 2000-s. I never had any issues with it. First time was messy, though, but it's always messy if you don't know what you're doing.
I will however ask, is J-Pop really that bad? I quite enjoy it. It mixes things up nicely.
I don't like it, especially if compared to original Persona music.
Music to me is secondary in games. It's something nice to listen to. But often I turn it all the way down and play my own music.
You enjoy it, yet you turn it all the way down? Tsk tsk.
However, to simply write off Persona 3 and 4 as "Decline and Juvenile faggotry," is to deny a series that is actually doing things "right," as far as story and gameplay goes in JRPG's. Fairly realistic, if fairly loosely characterized, people with actual motivations that go beyond, the standard fare of FF/DQ's drivel. It's innovating beyond just being something like Pokemon with 90's Neo-mysticism grimdark fuckery.
Innovating where? Combining juvenile visual novel with boring dungeons? Catering to animufags?
Devil Summoner was indeed quite good. Persona is quite good, the whole god damn franchise is quite good, if I were to give my personal favorite, not just what I think does things the "best overall," it'd have to be Digital Devil Saga.
My personal favorite is Majin Tensei, since I'm a big sucker for SRPGs. Plus MT series have badass soundtrack by Hidehito Aoki, who did most of the music for the first Persona for PSX. Unfortunately, he died in 2002.

BTW, I'm not talking about Raidou games when I talk about Devil Summoner. I've heard good things about them but never played them. Same goes to Digital Devil Saga.

roll-a-die

Magister
Re-read my messages. Persona = part of Megaten, but Persona != part of SMT.
Ah kay. That makes more sense. However, I would say that without mentioning Megaten, simply listing a denial of it being in the SMT series without mentioning the Megaten franchise as a whole led me to believe that you were deny it's status as a Megaten game, not as purely a SMT game.

I don't like it, especially if compared to original Persona music.
Okay, that's fine, some people don't mind it, and it really is such a minor feature, that it doesn't effect much of the quality.
You enjoy it, yet you turn it all the way down? Tsk tsk.
I do that for every game. I prefer songs with lyrics, it somehow helps me drown it out and enjoy the game. But yeah matter of preference.
Innovating where? Combining juvenile visual novel with boring dungeons? Catering to animufags?
Persona 1 and 2 catered to grimdark loving teenaged-early adult idiots from the 90s, persona 3 and 4 cater to the teenaged to early adult's who enjoy things like identity crisis' and light romance, it's literally a difference in the target audience's over the years. The series hasn't been dumbed down, it's not any more juvenile, you're just older. And your tastes have developed. Expecting a franchise to age with you is not a good idea. This isn't even a case of Bethtard style dumbing down of the story of fallout in an attempt to appeal to a younger audience. No Persona as a series has always been targeted at 15-26 year olds. Their interests changed in the 7+ years between 2 and 3, so Persona changed with them. And it seems to be changing and adapting again with Persona 5.
My personal favorite is Majin Tensei, since I'm a big sucker for SRPGs. Plus MT series have badass soundtrack by Hidehito Aoki, who did most of the music for the first Persona for PSX. Unfortunately, he died in 2002.

BTW, I'm not talking about Raidou games when I talk about Devil Summoner. I've heard good things about them but never played them. Same goes to Digital Devil Saga.
The Raidou games are very good, but the Devil Summoner games, at least from my experiences with Soul Hackers, are very different. It's a shame Nnintendo is forcing almost every dev to do the whole streetpass thing...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Okay, that's fine, some people don't mind it, and it really is such a minor feature, that it doesn't effect much of the quality.
Not really minor, but that depends on the person. I have a pretty big archive or Megaten music, and original Persona soundtrack is one of my favorites. It's a shame that Meguro went the j-pop road after a pretty large number of promising tracks in Nocturne/Digital Devil Saga/Soul Hackers and didn't give Aoki's music the treatment it deserves.

Persona 1 and 2 catered to grimdark loving teenaged-early adult idiots from the 90s, persona 3 and 4 cater to the teenaged to early adult's who enjoy things like identity crisis' and light romance, it's literally a difference in the target audience's over the years. The series hasn't been dumbed down, it's not any more juvenile, you're just older. And your tastes have developed. Expecting a franchise to age with you is not a good idea. This isn't even a case of Bethtard style dumbing down of the story of fallout in an attempt to appeal to a younger audience. No Persona as a series has always been targeted at 15-26 year olds. Their interests changed in the 7+ years between 2 and 3, so Persona changed with them. And it seems to be changing and adapting again with Persona 5.
As far as I can tell, Megaten as a whole started changing once original staff started leaving the company. So I'm having a hard time agreeing with your point, even if it sounds pretty valid. IMHO, no matter how hard these new guys will try to keep it afloat, they won't reach the same quality.

NOT UNTIL I SEE EVERY ENDING OF MAJIN TENSEI 2 BRO

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Still better than Persona 3, though. :smug:
Actually, you might find that Persona 3 is the best Persona game, and one of the better SMT games in general.

Persona 3 is good, but Persona 4 improves on P3 in every aspect.That's how every game dev should make a proper sequel, remain the same core and expand and tweak to make the next insalment even better. Can't wait for P5.

flyingjohn

Arcane
How can anybody enjoy persona 3 tartarus sections(which make most of the game) is beyond me.
Countless floors of the same boring corridors with just a palette swap to differentiate between them.
Persona 4 wins automatically by not having tartarus.

Caim

Arcane
At least you can control your party in Persona 4. If possible get Persona 4 Golden instead, because it makes the monster fusion eugenics a hell of a lot easier.

Viata

Arcane
SMT If.. did a tartarus-like dungeon better. What sucks in P3 is the inability to control your party. Thing is, even in P4 the dungeons are boring, what made it nice was the small portions where you got some quotes from the Shadow controlling it.

That is however questionable, as there's even this image:
GEJC0JU.jpg

How can anybody enjoy persona 3 tartarus sections(which make most of the game) is beyond me.
Countless floors of the same boring corridors with just a palette swap to differentiate between them.

I dunno, never bothered me. Do you go back and play old dungeon crawlers that literally don't have graphics and complain all the levels look the same?

Tartarus gave off a nice gothic horror feel, along with the randomized layout I was reminded of Diablo a bit.

flyingjohn

Arcane

I dunno, never bothered me. Do you go back and play old dungeon crawlers that literally don't have graphics and complain all the levels look the same?

Tartarus gave off a nice gothic horror feel, along with the randomized layout I was reminded of Diablo a bit.
Yes because this:
VbvIwkP.jpg

is comparable to something like this(wizardry 3):
627939-map3_02_1_.gif

And if you want more japanese examples here is persona 2 map:
persona2_ep_shelter_area8.gif

And diablo ironically has a better map layout then persona 3.

And there is nothing randomized about tartarus,its the same layout with different palette swaps recycled 265 times.

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane

Yes because this:
VbvIwkP.jpg

is not a persona map, but the (lol), tutorial floor of quite possibly Japan's shittiest persona knock off, Mind = Zero.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
No matter how complex is it, it's still shity recycled boring corridors. Both Persona 3 and old dungeon crawlers (heck even new dungeon crawlers) are bad in thisregard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom