Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not surprising since they went pretty silent after the last batch of trailers. There was no real indication that the game was actually coming out this year.

Caim

Arcane
If no PC version, I hope the PS3 version stays on track. I am not buying a PS4.
Same here. The PS3 turns out to have quite the life cycle after all. And since Persona 4 was the last great game on the PS2, I hope they continue this trend with Persona 5 on the PS3.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
English subs. Haven't watched it myself and I don't know if the translation is legit, but we'll go with this for now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tumblr_nutwnapksE1si48w3o1_540.gif

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
Not surprising since they went pretty silent after the last batch of trailers. There was no real indication that the game was actually coming out this year.
Aside from fucking Atlus saying as recently as last week that the game was still coming out this year. The game looks cool and I have no problem waiting, but I still have no idea why they were so insistent on 2015 whenever anyone asked if there was a possibility that it might slip to 2016. The only thing that I can think of that makes sense if that the content is more or less complete and the delay is due to problems with the new game engine they were hoping to fix in time to ship this year and finally realized it needed a lot more time in the oven.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Aside from fucking Atlus saying as recently as last week that the game was still coming out this year.

So? Are you saying that video game studios haven't flat out lied about their release dates before? If the game was really being released in a couple of months then the game should be 100% ready and in launch condition by now and they'd probably let us know just as much. There's no fucking way the game would get pushed back nearly a whole year if all the content was already done.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don't think you can really call them dungeons, they are just corridors with monsters. Even that Fate-themed knockoff had better ones.

zwanzig_zwoelf

which P should I start with?
The first one for PSX.
If you're feeling lucky, try beating it in Japanese. Use a guide if you want some general directions and don't care about the story much.
Don't even think about touching the PSP version.

If you want an easy start, try Innocent Sin, though you might miss a few things here and there if you didn't play the first game.
IIRC both versions are fine, though I'd recommend PSX version (again), since I've heard PSP version had some shitty censorship.

Ignore Persona 3 and later games. Unless you're ready to go through the huge amount of juvenile faggotry and tedious crap to get something more or less decent from them.

In any case, I'd recommend starting with SMT1 and going through other Megaten games until you beat them all, and only then spending some time with Persona series.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Persona 4 dungeons get a different paint job but that's it. It's still lame long corridors. The different music themes are nice, though. Persona 3 recycles the same theme but remixed slightly every now and then.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
which P should I start with?

Depends. If you want to play the Persona games that is famous lately (and preparing for P5), than 3 is a good place to start. Play the FES on PS2, the only things you will be missing from PSP version are some easter eggs and new spell system, while P3FES has additional playable scenario. P3 and P4 are basically the same game mechanically with minor differences here and there so if you like one, you will like the other.

The older games (P1, P2IS, P2EP) are very good games in their own rights, but are actually somewhat different games than the famous JRPG series that people know of lately. The story, as zwoelf eloquently put, do not have "huge amount of juvenile faggotry" in them, and are generally a lot more serious. They lack the Social Links mechanic (basically, Visual Novel lite where you go around building relationships) and School Life simulation that become the staple of Persona series after P3. Mechanically quite different as well, as they are games before the Press Turn system that ATLUS seemingly adopt to all SMT games after Noctrune.

Depending on your taste you might find the new Persona series more/less enjoyable than the older ones. I for one, liked both, but think that the new series (P3 onward) is somewhat more enjoyable, if only because they offer something different in comparison of other SMT games.

zwanzig_zwoelf

they offer something different in comparison of other SMT games.
There is always Majin Tensei 2, and it's perfectly playable even if you don't speak Japanese. At all.

Time travelling, ability to summon hordes of demons, demon progression, ability to equip your demons with machetes, machine guns and armor, cool soundtrack, did I mention the ability to summon a fucking pixie machete rape squad?

Caim

Arcane
How about that one SMT game where you play a bunch of dudes wearing golden Cybermen helmets and go to the South Pole? Is that one any good?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How about that one SMT game where you play a bunch of dudes wearing golden Cybermen helmets and go to the South Pole? Is that one any good?

It's pretty good but be prepared to save scum your level ups. Unlike other SMT games you don't get to pick where to distribute your stats when you level. It's all random. You get to pick a class at the beginning that influences the % of what stats you are more likely / least likely to get, but it's not a guarantee for anything. After 10+ levels of getting mostly Luck I had to step in and reload until I got favorable stat gains. My main character was quickly becoming useless, which is never a good thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom