Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never booted it up. I swore there was a fan translation nearing completion. You could gauge off of playtesters:

I'll check some forums and maybe get a hit.

There seems to be a difference in the 68000 vs the pc88 and that is combat. 68000 has actual tactical combat field while pc88 is like Phantasie 1-3..
Myabandonware
Mobygames

We need to find the manuals and the PC-98 & MSX versions
MOCAGH Manuals

MSX FORUMS
Amiga dead end

So really nothing new here.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
holy shite, I've just had to wait for about 5 minutes to fight a single ogre who died in about 10 seconds. the loading times are absolutely insane!
and there's an option to save the game, but how does it work if you can't make an account? do you have to finish the game in one go with the ability to load as long as you don't shut off the browser?
Phantasy 5 Resurrection:
This fucking thing takes forever to load..... This is worse than c64, or vic20 cassette tape. Dude needs to seriously just make this an offline game or some shit.

You can find the soundtrack HERE at Bandcamp

Note: DO NOT USE THE TOUCH SCREEN ON A COMPUTER ON THE MAP!!! USE THE MOUSE ON ARROW BUTTONS OR FINGER ON ARROW BUTTONS.

Yeah, I zoomed over into the water killing two and now the game won't load to a different save or start a new game. I might have to clear my browser. So, load/save issue seems to be a fucking mess.

BAH! Other options to find other saved spots. Stupid me. Carry on.

Further Note:
Save AS can be done in town to make additional saves.
Save current slot is done in camp.

Creation Note:
Sucks you can't go back a choice or have a simple reroll. You won't know stats until character is full created (annoying).
Random is pretty random and I haven't rolled a sprite, gnoll or anything other than orc, ogre, half orc, troll, minotaur. I wonder if each town only has a certain pool based on pics in the guild. I won't know until I go to another town.
WTH is Factotum? I have no clue the abilities of Paladin either or really any of the general abilities of the classes or races. I'll note this. You tend to end up with shittier stats than the default party. Definitely end up with shittier HP. I did finally roll a troll with 20 str and 13 hp.. meh. I wonder if age even comes to play.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, fuck my internet connection. I'll have to pack this bitch to the library to try and upload anything. Pretty fucking gay. Anyway.... the game does remember your save if you don't delete you internet history. At least it did for a short time as far as I know. I haven't powered down and let sit a day then try. I took about 50 pics of default party, help screen, town, guild, gear, and even fought a dark elf. The music isn't bad. I think I could get used to the graphical representation since I've seen far worse. Sound effects work for the most part. The game seems made for mobile and mouse click the arrow keys to move and various menus. It looks relatively adherent to the Phantasie franchise thus far. Combat is old Phantasie 1-2 style and no limb damage that I can tell. The game does save which is nice and gear is limited in the towns to buy which I believe the phantasie games had. Help menus function. The gripe is sometimes it sits on a loading screen or is unresponsive. This game could easily be made to function OFFLINE. I wouldn't doubt someone figures out how to save the entire package for offline use or the dev will release it. I've seen and heard worse. So while not what we may be used to and a downstep from Phantasie 3 and maybe 4 (I haven't seen a full review of 4 or a detailed playthrough but maybe someday), it is functional.

Phantasie 4 is going to be a tough decision: 1 play like old phanasie 2. Play 68000 version with tactical combat.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
OK, I messed around with the game too much during the day while I could have been clearing land. Did that and now it is dark and messing around again. I'm playing a little and it seems levels don't require gold? Seems mostly the gold sink it items. When I leveled up on a character it seemed to go through a few alts and the menus looked messed up. This could be cleaned up. In fact, creating a character and selecting 3 skills could be a little easier. You have to click the first and the second and the third and repeat to get the skills you want to train. It seems messy and at first I had no idea how to select something i wanted. Right Mouse click on the DONE after skill selection could be better. Hell, why not train a single skill 3 times. This doesn't seem to cost money as far as I could tell.

There is a lot of automatic choosing. Weakest enemy is chosen by default, basic attacks default, when going to equip an item RED means you are using better, and green means that item you are inspecting is better. Grey means unusable as you'e too weak or clumsy. None of my dudes can use a battle axe. It isn't a hard game thus far but encounters are on the light side around the default town. Saves stay after booting down laptop and then booting up and clicking the load from save. Again, why isn't this OFFLINE!

EDIT -
Satyrs are immune to magic it seems.
There is NO FOG OF WAR! This is perhaps the biggest let down. ALL Phantasie players generally loved the fog of war on the land and in dungeons for completion fun. It is a little saddening.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
There seems to be a difference in the 68000 vs the pc88 and that is combat. 68000 has actual tactical combat field while pc88 is like Phantasie 1-3..

From the video of it, it doesn't look exactly tactical. Everyone rushes forward in a single turn, and then it's the same old whacking. Maybe the enemy at the far left can't hit your dude at the far right, but that's the extent of it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I can't be certain until I actually play it. ATM, I'm messing around with this Phantasy 5 Resurrection. I'm about to clear Philmon's Castle.

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
I was able to find an MSX image of P4 here and get it running. From what I can tell after 15 minutes or so of playing around, it seems to use the same classes and races and the other games. The spell list looks similar, although the character inventory includes slots for bows and throwing weapons which I don't remember from previous games (it's been a while since I played P3 though, so it may have included them). The world map and "dungeon" maps have a little more color to them but exploration seems about the same. I ran into random combats every couple of moves on the world map, and the combat options and dynamics seemed to be the same as before (including injured limbs). So this might not be a big change other than including a point-and-click interface.

I couldn't find a Sharp X68000 version, but I did find this video of it. I have to say I'm not sure it includes Gold Box-style tactical combat... It's hard to read the text boxes that pop up during combat because they disappear quickly, but at the beginning of each round you have the standards general options of fight, flee, beg, etc, and (presumably after picking one) the game says what your party will do, then the characters all move en masse and then you can pick your attacks. For example, it says at 10:54 the game says "The party goes to face the monsters" and then your characters move close, and at 11:43 it says "Your party decides to flee" and everyone moves to the side. So I think the game is just trying to display combat more realistically but you don't have any additional tactical options or independent movement. I hope I'm wrong!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Phantasie 5 Resurrection:
1. Leveling up costs nothing

2.NO FOG OF WAR

3. Hard to roll up Gnoll, Sprite, ? (Only half-orc, sprite, orc, ogre, troll, minotaur so far)

4. Stats not seen until class chosen (no BACK option)

5. Selecting Training 3 skills isn't so easy to do (you left click each you want then right click done. This pattern csn be repeated and the first three skills melee, missile, block are already chosen, choosing say dodge removes one and you must then click another. ). And on/off toggle for each would be great. You can't choose say attack 3 times which sucks.)

6. No Bank

7. No oracle

8. No Inn (though each time you enter town it restores mp & hp).

9. Dungeons nver reset (done is done)

10. Unknown monster scaling.

11. Do you really needidentify?

12. Spells auto learned on level predetermined by game.

13. Wth do paladins gain?

14. WTF is a Factotum class

15. Warrior, Healer, Wizard, Burglar, Paladin, Factotum

16. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Random (half-orc, gnoll, orc, ogre, troll, minotaur, pixie, Sprite?, ??)

17. With my gnoll and troll i can wield a flail. None of my party can wield a battle axe...

18. Online java? No sownload

19. No manual?

20. Who do i contact to address these things or bugs?

21. Can't load in game must close window and restart game and load save spot from option menu.

22. Can save as any state in town but only save current state anywhere but in combat.

23. NO more instagram contact

24. No email contact

25. No more Facebook page.

26. Movement on maps without arrow keys and using the mouse is tedious. Touch screen does work and works for faster travel but be careful. First time it zoomed into the water and i lost two characters drowning. No jostick/gamepad/keyboard support (maybe naming charactrs)

Maybe more.. It seems like he doesn't want to be contacted at this time or take any feedback.

WINSTON DOUGLAS WOOD

Despite those issues thus far the game does work on my crappy connection for the laptop. It is your standard fare of Phantasie maybe dialed back a little but it has improvements that are quite nice for the modern gamer. Assuming he doesn't pull the game, I should try to complete it. The weather is still good and I'm outside mostly during the day and at nights I fight rats IRL and hornet nests and sometimes exercise but mostly sleep at my yurt. I don't have my computers there and phone is for emergencies at that place.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
cciQJgQ.jpg
Haha! I got Resurrection working on my iphone.

Further issues:
1. No sound or music on ios (seems it popped up finally)

2. When you swipe you move the opposite direction.

Good grief. So... use the arrow buttons. Wood needs to open up communication. The game is fine but needs tweaking.

I guess factotum is a jack of all trades?

factotum

fac·to·tum
/fakˈtōdəm/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. an employee who does all kinds of work.
    "he was employed as the general factotum"

Last edited:

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
Myabandoneware says it has PC-88 & sharp 68000. I always forget to check planeumu for MSX. This leaves the FM-7, sharp X1 left to find.

Edit..
PC-88 Archive
PC-98 Archive
MSX Archive
Sharp x68000 Archive
Sharp X1 Archive (phantasie 1 only)

Got it, thanks! I spent way too much time trying to get this running in XM6 (which I've never used before) and MAME (which has become a lot more complicated in the 10+ years since I last set it up), and I can't get it to start. I can run the executable but then I get a message to insert the original program disk, which I'm pretty sure is already in there. I found disk images in other places too and those don't seem to work either and I can get other games to run, so I'm not sure what the problem is. It could just be that I suck. If there are known working copies of P4 or even a manual for the X68000 version to make sure I'm not missing something, I can try again...

Developer
cciQJgQ.jpg
Haha! I got Resurrection working on my iphone.

Further issues:
1. No sound or music on ios (seems it popped up finally)

2. When you swipe you move the opposite direction.

Good grief. So... use the arrow buttons. Wood needs to open up communication. The game is fine but needs tweaking.

I guess factotum is a jack of all trades?

factotum

fac·to·tum
/fakˈtōdəm/
Learn to pronounce

noun
  1. an employee who does all kinds of work.
    "he was employed as the general factotum"
Hi. You can email me at info@phantasie-resurrection.com

Developer
Phantasie 5 Resurrection:
1. Leveling up costs nothing

2.NO FOG OF WAR

3. Hard to roll up Gnoll, Sprite, ? (Only half-orc, sprite, orc, ogre, troll, minotaur so far)

4. Stats not seen until class chosen (no BACK option)

5. Selecting Training 3 skills isn't so easy to do (you left click each you want then right click done. This pattern csn be repeated and the first three skills melee, missile, block are already chosen, choosing say dodge removes one and you must then click another. ). And on/off toggle for each would be great. You can't choose say attack 3 times which sucks.)

6. No Bank

7. No oracle

8. No Inn (though each time you enter town it restores mp & hp).

9. Dungeons nver reset (done is done)

10. Unknown monster scaling.

11. Do you really needidentify?

12. Spells auto learned on level predetermined by game.

13. Wth do paladins gain?

14. WTF is a Factotum class

15. Warrior, Healer, Wizard, Burglar, Paladin, Factotum

16. Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Random (half-orc, gnoll, orc, ogre, troll, minotaur, pixie, Sprite?, ??)

17. With my gnoll and troll i can wield a flail. None of my party can wield a battle axe...

18. Online java? No sownload

19. No manual?

20. Who do i contact to address these things or bugs?

21. Can't load in game must close window and restart game and load save spot from option menu.

22. Can save as any state in town but only save current state anywhere but in combat.

23. NO more instagram contact

24. No email contact

25. No more Facebook page.

26. Movement on maps without arrow keys and using the mouse is tedious. Touch screen does work and works for faster travel but be careful. First time it zoomed into the water and i lost two characters drowning. No jostick/gamepad/keyboard support (maybe naming charactrs)

Maybe more.. It seems like he doesn't want to be contacted at this time or take any feedback.

WINSTON DOUGLAS WOOD

Despite those issues thus far the game does work on my crappy connection for the laptop. It is your standard fare of Phantasie maybe dialed back a little but it has improvements that are quite nice for the modern gamer. Assuming he doesn't pull the game, I should try to complete it. The weather is still good and I'm outside mostly during the day and at nights I fight rats IRL and hornet nests and sometimes exercise but mostly sleep at my yurt. I don't have my computers there and phone is for emergencies at that place.

Hi. You can email me at info@phantasie-resurrection.com

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah, cool. Since you have access to the forum there is no huge need atm. I'm merely playing through on laptop & phone and noting differences and features. It'd be better if i could record and upload for others to see realtime but my internet is too slow.

The game itself runs fast enough on my low speed net with rarely a hiccup or freeze. Saving often helps (great feature) so rarely is progress lost. On ios I was creating 3 chars and the third char froze so all three were lost (i should have saved after each one... I though maybe it autosaved during creation).

Music sometimes stops or doesn't boot right up (mainly ios).

Touch screen has messed up a few times but its main issue is the direction you swipe the party moves opposite direction. Its is like reverse controls. Why use swipe? Big rooms and vast expanses are big and swiping moves far faster than clicking/tapping arrow buttons.

Auto town heal/mp restore is great.
It has been a while since i leveled up in the originals so I don't recall if I had to pay for spells or if they were learned as I leveled up. I have noticed I don't pay to level up and now I'm fuzzy if I had to before in older games.

I haven't heard much from other players though.

I believe monster debilitating abilties like spirits, mummies, wraiths, etc that affect players only last during the battle (thankfully).

Obviously, I don't want to post too many spoilers. I'm a grinder so low level grinding on up works for me. I need to find my old manuals. I want a character who can use at least a battle axe.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hi Winston Douglas Wood ! Thanks for everything! I would play Phantasie V if there was a downloadable version of it that runs as a normal game would. I don't really play stuff in browsers as I have never had good experiences with that. So if you make a download version I would definitely check it out! I really enjoyed Phantasie 1 which I emulated the Apple II version of recently. Really ahead of its time in many ways and still a blast to play, so I expect V to be much of the same. Cheers! :)

Francois424

Educated
Hi Winston Douglas Wood ! Thanks for everything! I would play Phantasie V if there was a downloadable version of it that runs as a normal game would. I don't really play stuff in browsers as I have never had good experiences with that. So if you make a download version I would definitely check it out! I really enjoyed Phantasie 1 which I emulated the Apple II version of recently. Really ahead of its time in many ways and still a blast to play, so I expect V to be much of the same. Cheers! :)
I'd like to second this. I don't know if it's a scaling issue, a browser issue, or a game issue, but when playing thru the browser my clicks aren't registering where I actually clicked... As you can guess, it makes generating a party insanely difficult (and I am waiting until fixed as I like to reroll quite a lot).

Also Mr. Wood, totally unrelated, but have you ever considered porting Phantasie 1/2 into the Phantasie 3 engine with the AtariST/Amiga version for graphics?
Probably not... But the engine improvement over the older games is awesome and much quicker/satisfying to play. A steam release with that for modern PCs would be something I would pay for immediately :)
Congratulation on the launch of Phantasie 5, looking forward to playing it in the future.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That's what I suggest you address him as well, or a bunch of trolkins might get upset and attack.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I will look over all the comments and questions on this forum in the next couple of weeks.

Well, I can honestly say I never expected this. Anyway, Phantasie on the C64 is one of the first computer roleplaying games I ever played and it really captured my imagination when I was a boy. So, thanks for helping get me into the hobby I'd spend a lot of my life being into. My wife is significantly less thankful. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom