Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

DaveO

Erudite
It's unfortunate that a number of platforms missed a P2 release. I've hit level 9 for all my characters. I took charisma improvements at the straw hut. I got the old bow at the gnomes, and gave it to my thief. The in progress party with my copy is level 9 to 11. I have no idea where that party went, but it seems they either wandered the map or stuck around Pendragon. I found that using Sleep is effective enough to gain a round. Monsters hit hard, so any advantage in combat helps. A good number of the monsters know fireflash, and the gnome mages know mindblast along with fireflash. I've not found a place to stock up on magic potions, but I've only been to the archives and the gnome caves. This has made me keep excursions short since you can exhaust your spell points quickly if your party fights poorly. The party management is what makes P3 in my opinion a bit harder than P2. The hit points you get might end up a bit higher than the 10 constitution table, but don't expect more than perhaps 10 hit points. In regards to character transferring, Octavius covered ST transferring on page 2 of this thread. The process is pretty simple. Just use your P1 party to go to P2. As far as I know, Apple and C64 should allow P1 parties to go to P2 and those P2 parties to transfer to P3. Aging is still something that you need to keep in mind for any transferred party. My group has almost hit the age I was at on the end of P2. I want to try to get the same levels I had at the end of P2, but I'm not sure if that is going to be done. I've been running the gnome caves multiple times which usually does not take too many game days. That and the archives are probably my best bets for experience runs. I might try the dragon caves to see how the group does.

DaveO

Erudite
Lord Wood's camp turned out to be the prime place to get levels and good equipment. I'll set my target for getting level 13 for the thief, and then seeing what I can do to complete the game. I found that spirits are not immune to weapons like in P1. The devils in the camp provide good and quick experience and gold. By deliberately triggering devil encounters, I can rack up around 300k for each run. The storm giants seem much easier than the valley giants who can cast fireflash. Looks like lava will be the remaining obstacle to reach Nikademus.

DaveO

Erudite
So my status is a superhero if I go with the light path or a darklord if I turn evil and kill Lord Wood. I skipped the Dwarven funeral and the plane of light. I had to resort to a save state due to my STeeM crashing. I never hit a gold limit during my run, and my character spell points were mostly maxed. I'm pretty sure either status I can get is a title. I don't think I get super powers or become like Nikademus(or Sauron). P1 is by far the easiest in the series, but that is due to how quickly you can exploit and get the best weapons from level 5 on up. I already went over P2 challenges, so for P3 the biggest challenges are party and spell management. It's nifty that gnome bows and especially the old bow can do a critical hit that will instantly kill many monsters. Even without a kill shot my thief usually hit for 30-40 damage each round. It may be possible to have all characters use bows, but you only really need two bow users. I don't think you need to buy the divine spell in the gnome caves since Pendragon archives gives the spell for free.

Francois424

Educated
Congratulation on beating P3 (at least I think you beat it based on your posts). And yeah I prefered farming in Tierrin myself (the Dragon Caves). But yeah the Hut above Lansing is also a good place, I found there's many obnoxious monsters there anyways, and the trip from/to that hut is plagues with night encounter monsters... but it IS rewarding.
Mechanically speaking P3 plays much faster than either P1/P2, it having keyboard support and all. I don't think you can die of old age nor does your stats fades in P3, I remember having a 101yo human and he was still wreaking havoc. Man do I ever want a P1 and P2 ported to the P3 engine (P3 would need missing monsters and tiles added, but man that would rock).

DaveO

Erudite
I believe it took my characters in P3 six years of game time to finish. It would probably have been two without the ST version counting inside time like you are in the wilderness. There should have been something like P1's rings or P2's beasts to make you able to go to the Dark plane to finish up Nikademus. You could not complete P1 without the rings and runes. The beasts were challenging in P2. Lava was far more punishing in P2 with unavoidable damage whereas you might have characters get away with almost no hit point loss. Each entry in the series has its flaws, bugs, or exploits. I don't expect any game to be without weaknesses, so the whole series is fine but in my opinion P3 is going to be the weakest link.

xeenmusic

Novice
Well, there are a few other platforms with all three:
  • * Holy Trinity
  • * Pyramid of Power

Phantasie I
Releases by Date
Phantasie II
Releases by Date
Phantasie III
Releases by Date
Phantasie IV
Releases by Date
Phantasie V
Realeases by date
  • 2022 BROWSER (java?)
  • 2023 PC (java?)

There's also:

Phantasie III - PC-88VA (different than the PC-88 version)
Phantasie IV - Sharp X68000

The Phantasie III marked "FM-7" is actually for "FM-77AV"
A PC-88VA version of Phantasie IV was advertised, but seemingly never released.

Last edited:

DISKDOC

Literate
I'm not sure if like the recent WIZARDRY, if I'd want a slight remake with updated graphics to pull in a new generation, maybe with a small side screen of what the original looked like in the corner, or just a seemless 3 series port of the original where i could level up and import the party across all 3 games.

I'd rather they did a 5-game bundle with a translated 4th into English and the standalone 5th game along with it.
I'm sure I'll end up getting it one way or another, I hope Lord Wood see some small $$$ for his previous efforts.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh, what site was I on that was talking about P4 translation and progress? I forget but it has been considered for a while.

I agree, a whole quintology done in a similar format with possible OPTIONAL QOL toggles. Hell, give me a classics that can use any of the old platforms gfx/sfx as well. I’d take new but it’d take a bit to grab me like the originals. I might even say optional body parts dmg/destruction for the whole quintology.

IN-GAME PRINT OUTS like the originals would be awesome. I printed out all the scrolls and I’m pretty sure I didn’t type them out.

When it comes to classics preserved, I still vouch for the originals as well as the new if the new is competent. Replaying not only clears the foggy nostalgia glasses in our older age but maybe shows the perks and flaws of EACH version.

This obviously won’t be that. What I want to know is where did the PC version of Phantasie II come from. PC & AMIGA are notable among the gaming computers of NOT having the second game. I believe the only entries with all 3 are appleii, c64, AtariST, and Japanese computers.

PhantasieI
Releases by Date
PhantasieII
Releases by Date

PhantasieIII
Releases by Date
PhantasieIV
Releases by Date
PhantasieV
Releases by Date
  • 2021 (PC html)
  • 2022 (PC offline)
Phantasie Memorial Set (1990)
* Released1990 on PC-98

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What I want to know is where did the PC version of Phantasie II come from.
What makes you think the PC version of P2 came from anywhere?
It's the Japanese PC-98 version it's based on, if Mobygame's correct (and I have no reason to assume not) and unless there's two different Memorial Sets.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’d buy that bundle if it is the PC-98 version (StarCraft as the publisher would make sense it is those versions). GOG & STEAM showing the PC versions in the low quality

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, that's weird, showing screenshots of the DOS PGA (P for puke) version insetad of the PC-98 version. There is something that doesn't quite add up.

Also funny that Star Command now is available, only a few weeks after I complained about it not being available.
But I wish Lord Wood would udate Star Command. It's a good game that really needs a better UI.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
For those who wonder about the Japanese computer versions:(hard to find 98 versions of all three but StarCraft versions are all relatively close.

I honestly wish for some newer vids.

Francois424

Educated
I've seen the announcement on Steem, both thanks from here and on the Sinatar Discord.
Very excited, however it seems they will go for the crappy DOS graphics. I **HOPE** these are not the in-game screenshots, as it would've been much better to go with the AtariST/Amiga Version.

Requirements for the game are rather high for a DOS game tho, 1.8gb processor with a graphics card ? So still crossing my fingers that we'll get some kind of better graphics.
Then my second thing on the Wishlist: Fixing the annoiyances and bugs.
- Annoyances like : Being capped at 65'536xp/gold per sortie, and/on on divide between characters (Unified bank of Phantasie 3 for the win here).
- Bugs like : Faulty character transfers, Stats not increasing past 24(I think) in Phantasie III (ie: there are in-game rewards that raise stats, if you're already high you lose your point and don't get anything) and the Constitution Bug too from P3 (less than 10CON gives you negatives, but having over 10CON gives you NOTHING).
There are other bugs I am sure, but to me thjose are the most glaring. I really wish they'd unlock monster races to all jobs too, I think you could do this in the Apple 2 version, a biut more obscure, but many races would make good with other classes than Fighter and Thief.

In an ideal world, I would be able to play P1 and P2 in the P3 engine, with AtariST/Amiga graphics styles and control upgrades (Which might be there, the control upgrades), with options in the menus if you want body parts or not.
I hope we get more than just a repackage of the old games.... This is not like Might and Magic III which is fine as it, these are like an old car and need a lot of help to get running smootly.

My 2 cents, and that said, cannot wait to get my hands on them regardless.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, there have been other repackaged DOS that were no better and some worse. Anyway, SNEG looks to be releasing more SOON.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
2 days until release. Dunno why I thought Dec 17th. Pity no Uber remaster like Wizardry. A fresh coat of paint and a few QOL would do this series good.

Francois424

Educated
Oh yes to QoL and fresh coat of paint... Stuff like unified engine for all 3 games, updated monster sprites (all sprites of all 3 games) available in all 3 games, optional rules for body part hits, maybe put bows in (basically 3rd game engine, hence me wanting it so bad)... optional options in menu for top customability.
Heck I'd even want a hard mode Phantasie 1/2 (Commodore version was pretty tough, as hard as 3rd game minus body parts).
Polished sprite/terrain and maybe terrain sound (think Age of Wonder 2, if you sit on grass you hear birds, if you sit on snow you hear wind howling, etc).
Basic but really nice QoL. Our last hope is that it could be modded like the Final Fantasy Pixel remasters of a few years ago.

Knock on wood... Lord Wood? hey whatever it takes !

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’d expand it to Phantasie 4-5 and a construction set. I mentioned Legends 1 & 2 for the Texas Instruments computer TI-99 which I’d love to see more easily used than an emulator along with its other RPGS that’s aren’t Phantasie-like

mobygames

Funny it doesn’t list Legends I & II.
Realms of Antiquity is there, of course, along with Tunnels of Doom. I you all remember Dark Designs 1-6 then you’ll note it had that map like in Phantasie dungeons, a 3D perspective like wizardry and a tactical combat like Wizard’s crown/gold box games. Interesting designs but that’d probably take away from the core Phantasie feel.

I wonder how many people will boot up Phantasie II first in the memorial set just to see exactly what it is and how it runs.

Francois424

Educated
Why not! Playing U4/U5 in the "updated" engine, and getting a construction set would just be icing on the cake.
Any kind of smart QoL (because there are such things as stupid QoLs, trust me) would be really nice to the game indeed.

As for Phantasie 2, it's the weakest entry of the series IMHO. It's challenging at the very least...
But is riddled with annoying bugs:
- If you have a character replaced mid-game (say they aged or you don't like them) and where you already defeated some of Pluto's unique monsters, they wont count for the new character and the unique monster stays dead. --> Progress Locked.
- If you run a dungeon and have the misfortune of having a full inventory... Then get at the end of said dungeon and earn a key item? It will tell you you got it, but back in town you'll notice you will not have it... So you have to rerun the dungeon and some dungeons in P2 are an absolute pain to get to and very hard to complete... Made me ragequit the game once.
- During the questing you may learn some quest spells. In fact, you won't have a choice in learning them and happens automatically once you reach said milestones. They actually eat from your available slots of learnable spells. So that means that lowish INT thief (think like 12 or 13) which only had enough to learn Fireflash IV at level13 or something? Well you've been robbed and you can't anymore. Only way around is to level to level 13-14 FIRST *** THEN *** go do that Dungeon. Since you need these spells to progress in the game, the only other alternative is to not bring that Thief or lowish INT caster (or one with few spellslots left you where keeping for higher level spells) with you and level a "Filler character" (Like that Minotaur in P1 or Dwarf/Gnome in P3). Very annoying bug and huge loss of time if you don't know about it. There are 2-3 of these spells, 1 in the first game if you win and don't die at last boss(chars that die dont get it), 2(or is it 3?) in P2, and some class like THF or MNK have VERY FEW spell slots, even with high INT.
- I heard you cannot transfer your group from P2 > P3 either... But you could from P1 -> P3... Losing progress made in P2 if you have character that live long enough to make it thru all 3 games.

Going blind in P2 will utterly try your patience. Took me 3 playthrough before I finally managed to get around these issues. Sinatar almost rage-quit a few times as well as I recall and he really wanted to finish the game. He got the first bug I mentioned and got Progress-Locked out of the last dungeon (a real heart-breaker).
P2 needs more bug fixes than P1 and P3 combined I think. I hope they at least fixed those, if Nothing else.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I didn’t even see age in P5. I don’t think you can reduce your age. I suppose undead status is an option if you can level up high enough and end up that way (which I forget how it even happens?? Entire party killed and zeus raises you of you become undead or are lost forever?)

Francois424

Educated
You dont become undead past level 3 or 4, I forget. After that you always get resurrected (with a constitution hit, I think).
And you cannot train as undeads, so you're stuck at that level forever. If someone plans the same party thru all 3 games WIHTOUT any hex-editing, I would suggest Elves and Dwarves only. I think the Pixie/Sprites don't age either but I could be wrong on those, and you can only make them into fighter/thief anyways (without hex-editing).
There is no way to tweak your age back down. What I used to do if I wanted to cheat was note my stats down, once aged save, open hex-edit and restore my stats to pre-aged status. Once you've aged I think you're golden for the rest of the series and it does not happen again (Aging cost you like 20-30% stats or something, it's worse than the AD&D aging of back then).

If no cheating, definitely only Dwarves and Elves... Which makes the diverse party player like me very sad.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The Phantasie Memorial Set is out now and apparently is just the DOS versions of 1 & 3, plus the Apple II version of 2... so there's absolutely no point in getting this.

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom