Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
4 he had no hand in
He had, but it was done in a way of 'designing the game on paper and sending the docs to the Japanese devs', and Starfire was designed in a similar way, but ended up being reworked into a completely different game.

As for the Phantasie IV translation, MrRichard999, TheMajinZenki, and I started work on it after finishing Starfire, but it fell by the wayside for me due to the lack of time. It's also a much tougher project due to space limitations, but I hope I'll return to it if I'll get a long vacation at some point in the future.

DaveO

Erudite
So does P3 have reduced hit points for characters? The monster list is pointing that way, but I'm not seeing anything indicating that for sure. CRPGaddict seems to show good hit points, but the blog mentions high levels above 15. My imported P1 party may go up 10 hit points or less for each level to level 2, but this might just be early game limits.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
4 he had no hand in
He had, but it was done in a way of 'designing the game on paper and sending the docs to the Japanese devs', and Starfire was designed in a similar way, but ended up being reworked into a completely different game.

As for the Phantasie IV translation, MrRichard999, TheMajinZenki, and I started work on it after finishing Starfire, but it fell by the wayside for me due to the lack of time. It's also a much tougher project due to space limitations, but I hope I'll return to it if I'll get a long vacation at some point in the future.
I hope all StarCraft Inc.. games get translated. They are an interesting approach to the west games. Japanes me additional content can be amusing. Look at Altered Beast or Mightb& Magic, etc.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Which thread was about transferring characters between series and even different games? (About all games not just phantasie) Search is giving me shit.

Francois424

Educated
So does P3 have reduced hit points for characters? The monster list is pointing that way, but I'm not seeing anything indicating that for sure. CRPGaddict seems to show good hit points, but the blog mentions high levels above 15. My imported P1 party may go up 10 hit points or less for each level to level 2, but this might just be early game limits.

That's the infamous "constitution bug" -- Basically, any points above 10 does not count... But every point BELOW 10 does count to screw you over :p
If you check the manual, there's a Table about the "Average HP for characters with 10 constitution". Basically this is what you can expect. Also savescumming only works to a degree because P3 tries to average your HP to what it should be depending on class/level combo.
But because it's bugged, it automatically averages on 10 Constitution instead of like 24 for a Gnoll (21 + 2 bowls of CON soup + that constitution quest in the Halls of Giants).

So yeah. Still aim for high con, it's usefull for other things, but HPs you WILL get screwed. P1/P2 didn't have that problem and you could get some really nice numbers.

Luzur

Good Sir

mondblut

Arcane
My Phantasie Bonus Edition (Wizard Works) also includes only P1 and P3.

2 was never released on PC.

I have all 3 of them for C64, which is nice, but it is kinda odd having a Phantasie Edition box made but not put in the main games

Well, emulation was hardly the thing back in 90s. So they slipped in Questron 2 and hoped no one will notice it's a different series :D

Luzur

Good Sir
My Phantasie Bonus Edition (Wizard Works) also includes only P1 and P3.

2 was never released on PC.

I have all 3 of them for C64, which is nice, but it is kinda odd having a Phantasie Edition box made but not put in the main games

Well, emulation was hardly the thing back in 90s. So they slipped in Questron 2 and hoped no one will notice it's a different series :D
There where PC emulators around for both Amiga and C64, but not really good ones and also you had to install chips, def not Dosbox level of quality.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Phantasie IV and V ive never seen at all out in the wilds, are they Jap only?
Re: Phantasie V, there is quite a lot of discussion about it in this very thread. Go back to page 18 or follow this link if you're curious: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/phantasie-series.93959/page-18#post-8114466

Oh, right, now i remember trying it out and not feeling it really, why make it online only?
You can download it now. It woks like a browser game but can be played entirely offline now.

Luzur

Good Sir
Phantasie IV and V ive never seen at all out in the wilds, are they Jap only?
Re: Phantasie V, there is quite a lot of discussion about it in this very thread. Go back to page 18 or follow this link if you're curious: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/phantasie-series.93959/page-18#post-8114466

Oh, right, now i remember trying it out and not feeling it really, why make it online only?
You can download it now. It woks like a browser game but can be played entirely offline now.
Huh, might try it, its been..... 20+ years since i played Phantasie last

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh, I have my lvl 6 party. Seems the others got scrubbed except a few lower parties. One save had nothing. I'll take a look at my alts and try to generate a new offline party. As is, it looks like I'd be tossing my alts to the four winds of fate and hope. Not a huge deal. Lvl 6 ain't nothing.

DaveO

Erudite
So I did a small clearing of the first dungeon and the game was indicating a lot of days from just being inside. Is this yet another P3 bug or is it accurate?

DaveO

Erudite
I am quite sure that the game was displaying days within the dungeon itself. Even if one square of travel outside is one per day, that's only a few days to travel to the archives which is the place I went to. I saw over 30 days of travel just being in the dungeon. This is on my STeeM version. I am hoping that what I saw is a display bug, but if not I'm not sure how long my P1 party has before aging rears it's head.

DaveO

Erudite
I was able to reach level 5 for my priests by just hanging around Pendragon and doing the archives multiple times. I had to reload a few times, but I can go where I want now. An imported party does not start with any divine spells, but I'm sure the warning about learning those spells still applies to this game so I'll learn them when my group is fairly high level. I know that you can reach level 20 as undead, but there is no point to go undead now. In regards to the time I'm seeing tracked, I'll have to do my best to keep the excursions short. But I've been playing that way since starting P1. Now that I can use the Transport spell, I can go to any town near a dungeon as a temporary base of operations. I'll check out a few places to see what works best for experience and equipment.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FYI, checked today the Amiga version of Phantasie I from the SPS collection and it only has the first two areas cleared in the world map (as it should be). So yeah, just play the pristine uncracked dump and you'll be fine. I also managed to HD-install it on an emulated A500 with some manual tinkering, by the way :smug:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You'll not be so
emo-emot-smug.gif
when you realize you can't transfer the party to P2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom