Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Interesting seeing posts about Phantasie II. Everyone I knew way back when had only ever played Phantasie 1 and Phantasie III, and most of us had Questron II. This was all because of the combo-pack that was floating around in discount bins for YEARS at places like EB, CompUSA, and other software stores. Every dork I knew had this combo pack.

I never played Phantasie II and could never even find it. Interesting thread.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
God damn them on that Amiga. Yeah, old SSI titles got scattered a bit. Look at wizard's crown/eternal dagger, phantasie series as mentioned, Questron series. Older computers had similar issues like dunjonquest. I want to say AppleII was the go to for 99% of the titles but the c64 really had that atmospheric music down. Oh tribute to jaws. (I ain't talking about the trilogy pack... i didn't care for that one).

DaveO

Erudite
Atari ST, Apple II and C64 are the only platforms with the whole trilogy. DOS gets you 1 and 3 as well as Amiga if I'm not mistaken. Atari 8 bit gets Phantasie 1 and 2. I'm sticking with the ST version on my current run thru P2. I've found some places where I can either get experience and gold or use the low level Kobold village to bump up offensive spell points(just use the inn to go up one point). The monk is a cheap way to use town transport(only needs level 3), but be very careful that you don't encounter Pluto's Constrictor with the transport character. It may be luck on my part, but when your group hits level 4 sweep the outside area of Saxlingham. Also, monks are quite limited in terms of spells and spell points. You get offense like the thief does at almost the same level(13) and as a small compensation you get more hit points than the wizard. I do like that rangers complement priests by getting fireflash 2 where the priests start at fireflash 3 at level 9.

Francois424

Educated
Yeah Rangers are so Good, that if I am to make a fighter I replace them with Rangers instead... Even if I don't give them any intelligence. I just wait until level ~10-12 before having them learn Healing4 (I think it's the only magic of them I use... well any of the healing spells but I learn the big ones first).
:cool:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, there are a few other platforms with all three:
  • * Holy Trinity
  • * Pyramid of Power

Phantasie I
Releases by Date
Phantasie II
Releases by Date
Phantasie III
Releases by Date
Phantasie IV
Releases by Date
Phantasie V
Realeases by date
  • 2022 BROWSER (java?)
  • 2023 PC (java?)

Last edited:

DaveO

Erudite
I'm currently almost hitting the experience limit wall in the Underworld. I did take out the winged devil in the straw hut, so that is two beasts down. I'm sure I could take out two more, but I do know that getting two more beasts on the underworld map will require patience. Then I'd have to brave the Underworld dungeons, and I don't see any way to not hit the experience limit wall going into both of Pluto's places. Out of curiosity, do I need to keep the amulets once I examine them to bind them to each character? I kept the nine rings in P1 because I recalled that you need to pass the tests in Olympus and I did not want to botch such an easy mission.

Francois424

Educated
Out of curiosity, do I need to keep the amulets once I examine them to bind them to each character? I kept the nine rings in P1 because I recalled that you need to pass the tests in Olympus and I did not want to botch such an easy mission.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to, my best bit of advise is to sell them at the merchant always in same town.
I do know there's a bug where a character that was not in your party at the moment of vanquishing a great beast not being able to use the amulets and not able to obtain new ones... Other than that, no need to keep them in your party once everyone has the number 1-9 under their character sheets.
And yeah the 65k experience limit is so annoying heh.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I agree a remaster would be keen.

Anyway, i wonder if any translation projects happened:
PC-88

DaveO

Erudite
I've pretty much hit the limit in terms of magic weapons. I could do a quick trek into and out of the orb dungeon to reset Pluto's castle, but by my experience reckoning I need two or three more trips into the castle to get the next two levels for a few more characters. That should put a good part of the group around level 12 to perhaps 14 for the thief. I'll see what experience is needed to level further, but given the loss of experience after 655350 to my characters in my opinion this is just too much to justify going beyond level 13. The only reason I'm going for 13 on the thief is due to him learning Fireflash 4 and then anything else is "gravy" for spells although the sleep spell does have its use.

DaveO

Erudite
Even limiting my outside excursions, my characters have aged two years. I suspect most of that first year was covered in P1. I'll probably age another year or two at the most hopefully. This makes hunting the constrictor a potential issue since your time rapidly accumulates when outside compared to an internal location. Finding the other two beasts is easy, and the time loss is manageable. In terms of the final runs, the magic potions will be quite helpful to keep my party health from getting too low.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Damn game needed some fountains and potions of youth. I guess legacy 1-3 parties is a tricky achievement. Lvl 20 the cap? I don't recall now. There's the idea to power-level alts with disposable members and keep age minimum. If there is a cap, I think undead is an option and I really don't recall the drawbacks of an undead character if it is max level.

DaveO

Erudite
I was able to clear out the initial part of the final dungeon before the teleporters. I kept my eye on the experience and walked out at the teleporters inside. I know more difficult combat is awaiting me in that place. All characters are now level 12-14(I was correct about the thief hitting 14) and thanks to leveling and learning some spells, I went up yet another year for the characters. I thought I might get two more years in game time, but now there is a possibility of hitting three since I know that hunting the beasts on the Underworld will take a lot of time that I'll have to limit to one excursion per attempt. I seriously don't want aging to be a problem if I can avoid it. For this reason, monster fighter types are in my opinion not viable in P2 which leaves just the Dwarves, Elves and Gnomes. And in retrospect, fighters are a useless class where ranger gives almost as much offensive plus healing and light offensive spell casting. My thief was able to learn Fireflash 4 and that's the only spell he'll need. Before getting the second divine spell, I might as well try "fishing" for beast seven since it won't take a lot of time and the castle looks to be easier than the menagerie will be.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, there are a few other platforms with all three:
  • * Holy Trinity
  • * Pyramid of Power

Phantasie I
Releases by Date
Phantasie II
Releases by Date
Phantasie III
Releases by Date
Phantasie IV
Releases by Date
Phantasie V
Realeases by date
  • 2022 BROWSER (java?)
  • 2023 PC (java?)

My Phantasie Bonus Edition (Wizard Works) also includes only P1 and P3. And curiously also Questron II.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
phantasy 4 is jap but 5 is not. 5 is by the original content creator but 4 he had no hand in.

DaveO

Erudite
Thank goodness for the save states in STeeM. Even though each session is always the same past recovery, you can always try something else to mitigate the static effects. I went and cleared out the final dungeon deliberately hitting the max experience just to clear it with the exception of the beast there. I'd rather make as few trips as possible to that place. I'm going for the divine spell to continue the beast hunt and then I'll do that final place a third time. One small oddity is that the sage did not recognize that the party did save Gelnor in P1, but that's such a small thing that I'm not going to worry about it. I'm fine with the randomness of the game with the exception of providing more hit points. I'm sure that the coding has it give 1 to x hit points based on class and that constitution has a factor as well. When I imported from P1 to P2, I forgot all about the dead minotaur and that character was available as well. But as I mentioned, the minotaur from my P1 run was a garbage character compared to how I played it when I did my LP on the Playground forum. The reason that I did not go for a full run at that time is that I was more interested in contributing a LP for a game I knew well enough.

DaveO

Erudite
Ok, so now the quest is done and I felt some small vibes of The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe with the hero ceremony and the descriptions for each party member. If I personally had to establish titles, it would be "Obliterator of the Orb" and something equally appropriate for P1's Dark Lord. I suppose "Destroyer of the Dark Lord" might work. In terms of the eight beasts, I felt that some of the ST designs were pretty interesting. Fishing worked better than I expected since it took only three tries of Divine II to net both beasts. I'm pretty sure my beast order was 1, 3, 4, 2, 7, 5, 6 and 8. I did not want to lose those valuable beast amulets in the Underworld hunting, so as soon as I took out one, I'd return to town to use the amulet and then go after another one. Either the Wyvern or the Snake Dragon looked a bit like Godzilla and the Dragon Demon was almost victorious with the final casting of Fireflash 4 from any party member dropping it. In retrospect, having the thief with more than two castings would have been a bit better insurance.

In terms of the loose mythology thus far, it still seems with the Greek gods since Pluto is another name for Hades. Monsters almost always get initiative in the Underworld and there are magic draining creatures there like vampires and others. The SSI design feel was still there, but the game is far less forgiving and exploitable like P1 was. The best magical weapons for my run were in both of Pluto's places. High end shields seemed more random with numerous places handing out God shields or the giant ones. In terms of P3, I leveled two of the Gelnor imports from P1 but I'm taking a break before making an attempt to returning to P3. If anyone decides to try P1 thru P3, I definitely recommend an emulator with save states. I generally don't resort to save states if I don't have to, but in my opinion P2 definitely needs to use them to save frustration when heading to and thru the last dungeon. I felt the tone of P1 was more tongue in cheek with many of the references(JR Trolkin for example). In terms of parties, it's up to each player's preference but bear in mind that in my opinion having two rangers and two priests makes at least the first two in the series easier to manage. For offensive spells, I'd only go with wizard or monk and the thief is up to each player. I feel the thief is recommended since it is the only class besides fighter that can attack beyond the first rank(and fighters only get lunge which is basically a thrust on one monster in rank 2). My P2 thief had almost as much hit points as the priest did with ~150 hit points, but he was level 14 in comparison to 13 for the priest. The wizard can counter some of the annoyances of spell casters in P2(slow, sleep and weak were the banes of spellcasters on my P2 run). If you get a message saying armor was reduced, that is actually weakness. The cloud giants may have this effect, plus they seem to have a "shout" that tends to do damage to party members. I did try flameblast 3 for the priests, but it sure seems a waste of spell points for P2.

Last edited:

Francois424

Educated
Yeah Phantaisie II is brutal. In some regards, even with the "Constitution Bug" of P3, it is HARDER than P3. Much more balanced tho. If someone remaster the series I hope they bring the kind of damage you can receive into Phantasie I (which was bugged and most enemies only did 1 damage on the AtariST).
The lava pits of the last part really makes it a challenge as far as ressource management goes. I've seen a LP on youtube where the poor guy got absolutely destroyed at that part and almost quit. He didnt have the Ranger+Priest combo/strategy and it showed.
In my game I did everything to get the orb, even went to the final monster to get rid of said orb... and it said I did not have it. See if you loot too much stuff you WILL NOT loot the Orb and you have to restart the dungeon COMPLETELY to attempt getting it again.
It was so rage-inducing, didn't touch the game for 3 months after that... then finished it.

P3 is my favorite by far (because of mechanics upgrades) -- if I could have P3 mechanics (minus CON bug), I think P1 would become my new favorite. But P3 really is nice.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The only downside to P3 is that the only thing you will ever get from exploring the countryside is old age.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom