Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

Ladonna

Arcane
Phantasie
Did a ton of exploring and also cleared the second dungeon (and discovered the third one). Highest level now is 7 for my fighter. I haven't had to stop and grind exp/gold so far, but I did explore every tile (except water) on the first three wilderness maps.

I can't believe how utterly broken the age mechanic is in this game. I'm not even sure how viable dwarves and gnomes are for transferring to P2 and P3, never mind humans and monsters!

What version are you using? I don't remember having this problem with the C64 version.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Ladonna
It's the Apple II version. I'm not at risk for the dwarves/gnome dying of old age (mid-late 40s, max age 200 according to manual), but I think I still have a ton of game left. It's also possible they started in their mid 40s and I didn't realize it lol.

Ladonna

Arcane
Ladonna
It's the Apple II version. I'm not at risk for the dwarves/gnome dying of old age (mid-late 40s, max age 200 according to manual), but I think I still have a ton of game left. It's also possible they started in their mid 40s and I didn't realize it lol.

I am pretty sure they start around that age. Just give it a bit more time and check it later.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What's the best way to download a torrent? I should probably look this up and watch a video on it.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How does the aging in this game work? Is it something horrible such as the characters aging by one year every time they rest at the inn or is it something less punishing? Didn't see it mentioned in the manual.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's only a real problem if you transfer characters, in my experience. In which case you'll want only Elves, Dwarves and Gnomes, and miss out on some fun, like a dungeon that only open to a Minotaur. Choices&Consequences, otyugh!

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'm downloading eXoDOS now. :) Made the space on a 2tb drive today.

So, the Atari ST, C64 and Amiga are probably my next 3 targets. They all had good amounts of RPG/sim/strategy type games? Good CRPGs?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Amiga only: Black Crypt
First on Amiga: Faery Tale Adventure
First on Atari ST: Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back, Disciples of Steel.

Most of the good CRPGs were developed for the Apple II and then ported to other platforms.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Most of the good CRPGs were developed for the Apple II and then ported to other platforms.

Thanks octavius ! Is there an Apple II collection I can grab too?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The Amiga is generally full of classic titles. Most multi-platform titles up until about 1992 are better on the platform too, with some exceptions. (usually US based titles, where Amiga wasn't so popular) I'm not sure if there are good C64 exclusives, but most multi-plats that weren't on Amiga are usually better than the DOS versions.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Not sure. I've only played a few games with emulator and that's some years ago now, so I don't know much about the retro Apple scene.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Thanks octavius ! Is there an Apple II collection I can grab too?
You're going to want a TOSEC collection if you're getting everything and not being picky. I can't remember if this is the one I have since I got my Apple II collection so long ago, but if it is its missing some stuff, but its so esoteric you're probably not going to care about it anyway. Generally speaking those are the ways to go, though if you ever find yourself going down the Japanese computer rabbit hole, I don't believe the Neo Kobe collection is outmatched. Most games should be on the IA somewhere.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm starting to think transferring is not wirth it just by manual text alone:
JYgqBfV.jpg

axpzkiZ.jpg

I'd like a good explanation why the loss, other than it makes the game too easy. I don't believe wizard's crown/eternal dagger did this. Eh oh well.

For about 240 megs there's a lot in that apple TOSEC. I had bad issues with the FM-Towns NEO KOBE. I think I went to theeye to solve this. Before that I downloaded each part of the fm-towns then combined but it was fucked. There are plenty of archives still around for stuff, I guess. I tend to prefer c64 over AppleII but playing other platforms is cool.

As to Phantasie Aging; I'll check a gamefaq as I just don't see much in the manuals to say how often you age. I'm guessing you get old you die. If raised you are permaUndead.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Yeah, having a big multi-part, multi-GB file seems like a disaster waiting to happen, but for the other systems its a solid little thing. I think the best method for the CD archives, at least on IA, is when they have all the images as subfiles rather than in a zip or something. I know it worked like a charm on one PSX and Turbografx CD collection.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. I don't really know what I'm looking at on the Retroplay WHDLoad ftp (I'm on the ftp, and presumably I want the Games folders...) Can someone point me again and basically reassure me what I want to grab here? I grabbed the Apple II TOSEC compliation from the TOSEC site. I'm looking for Atari ST, Commodore 64 and Commodore 128, and Amiga. I want to get everything I need in one shot here so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Edit - Basically I don't know what set of games to grab for each system! :P

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was looking at the instruction on making fresh character disks. I can't say I ever did this in emulation and if it solves the map issue. I fear it might not as it is just too simple of an answer.

I read the PARTY GUIDE.

I think a good starter party is:
2 Dwarf Fighters
2 Human Priests
2 Elf Mages

I don't recall roster limits total but you can easily level out others later esp the 5 mega mage party to Grind Zeus repeatedly.

Next decide if you will HC it or use save states. A save state idea is esp a thought on the magic pools. Grinding a new alt with vets to maybe see if you can get a str/int or w/e up to 26. I still ponder the idea of other monster mash party.

Things to do:
Make decent maps of the game.
Figure out aging exactly
Record loot drops by different mobs
Find any bugs not found
Record best hex/hack method for the lazy cheat crowd (or if you believe a transferred alt should keep ALL the glory it had in the previous game.
Figure out how yo reset the fog of war on the continents for all platforms and make copies of the fresh games.

Maybe I'm missing something. I enjoyed the first gane immensely but it isn't technically a notch in my belt wins. 2 never owned until rom. 3&4 I tried but didn't get far and was slaughtered. I need to oil up my rusty rpg gears and grind these out. Always distracted though.

Anyone try GridCartographer with this game?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm downloading eXoDOS now. :) Made the space on a 2tb drive today.

So, the Atari ST, C64 and Amiga are probably my next 3 targets. They all had good amounts of RPG/sim/strategy type games? Good CRPGs?

Exodos is da shit.

I still need to get around to playing Phantaise. Was going to after I finished Wizard's Crown, but then stuff happened.
Anyone have experience with the Atari ST version? Good bad?

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey Tweed . Nice to see u here. :) This probably won't help but I imagine the ST version is fine, and looks very good to boot! Maybe someone can chime in with more details though...

I have 400gb of eXoDOS downloaded so far, should be done in another hour or 2. Sweet stuff. Love u guys for putting me on to this MASSIVE INCLINE of a discovery. Heh.

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hey Tweed . Nice to see u here. :) This probably won't help but I imagine the ST version is fine, and looks very good to boot! Maybe someone can chime in with more details though...

I'm 400gb thru eXoDOS now, should be done in another hour or 2. Sweet stuff. Love u guys for putting me on to this MASSIVE INCLINE of a discovery. Heh.
I downloaded the Lite version of eXoDOS, and it took me an entire weekend to go through and download all of the games I'm interested in.

That amount to just around 700 or so, and that was only by searching the categories of RPG / Adventure / Strategy. I didn't even touch the other categories, and there are over 7200 games to go through.. If I could show this to my childhood self who used to look longingly at game boxes in stores for the computer my mother couldn't afford, I'd probably die from sheer ecstasy. Get ready for some seriously insane fun.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey guys. I don't really know what I'm looking at on the Retroplay WHDLoad ftp (I'm on the ftp, and presumably I want the Games folders...) Can someone point me again and basically reassure me what I want to grab here? I grabbed the Apple II TOSEC compliation from the TOSEC site. I'm looking for Atari ST, Commodore 64 and Commodore 128, and Amiga. I want to get everything I need in one shot here so I just want to make sure. Thanks!

Edit - Basically I don't know what set of games to grab for each system! :P

Hey man, I gave you the exact file paths in my original message for these, but here they are again. So these are the exact paths you need, starting from the root folder on the English Amiga Board fileserver. I guess what confused you is that there's no "Games" root folder, you need to go around fishing a little bit...

/Retroplay WHDLoad Packs/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/
Alphabetical folders, about 4GB

/Non Amiga/Atari/ATARi-TOSEC-2021-08-08/ST/Games/[ST]/Atari ST - Games - [ST] (TOSEC-v2020-07-12).zip
All Atari ST games, 2GB archive

/Non Amiga/Commodore/Commodore-TOSEC-2021-08-08/C64/Games/[D64]/Commodore C64 - Games - [D64] (TOSEC-v2021-07-26).zip
All C64 games disk images, 5GB archieve

This will give you all Amiga, Atari ST and C64 games. Amiga games are packed individually per game. Then look around in /Non Amiga/Atari/ and /Non Amiga/Commodore/ for other Atari & Commodore machines, if you're so inclined.

These archieves are quite big, and sometimes the server just drops connection mid-download. Make sure you use an FTP client that can resume (even better, resume automatically, so you don't need to babysit the downloads).

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thanks again Rincewind . I'll grab these exact collections when I'm at my PC and on the server. Appreciate u being patient with me. I also heard Amiga emulation can be difficult or something? What emulator is recommended there?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thanks again Rincewind . I'll grab these exact collections when I'm at my PC and on the server. Appreciate u being patient with me. I also heard Amiga emulation can be difficult or something? What emulator is recommended there?
I use WinUAE and the 1.3 Kickstart and 1.3 Workbench emulating the A500 for most games, and haven't run into any problems. It is only difficult because of the different Amiga computers, and the many different BIOS and Kickstart roms which can be overwhelming to the unfamiliar. It doesn't take long to get familiar with, though and I came into having zero knowledge, having never used an actual Amiga before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom