Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

newtmonkey

Arcane
Monsters have two problems: age and cost to train. The former issue is not a big deal, as you could just import the elves/dwarves/gnomes into PII and replace any elderly characters with new ones. The second issue is more of a problem... early on, your monster characters will fall way behind as it becomes prohibitively expensive to level them up. They just don't seem to be worth the hassle, honestly, if you look at the max attributes by race table in the manual (for example, trolls are SLIGHTLY stronger and healthier than dwarves, but worse in every other area PLUS don't live as long PLUS cost way more to train).

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
But if I can nab a monster with a Charisma of say, 8-12? That would be okay then? Maybe? Please say yes? Haha. I really want to use monsters! :)

Sinatar

Arbiter
Just roll a new party in each game. Importing is a very bad idea, especially from 1 to 2.

I got softlocked from finishing 2 because I imported from 1. The main quest requires you to get these brands on all your party members, I got half the brands, my characters aged and became utterly useless, so I had to roll up some new party members and grind them up. Annoying, but no big deal right? Well you can't reapply the brands you've already gotten, so those new characters couldn't progress to the end and the original characters were too weak to survive with the massive stat drops that occur when you cross the age threshhold.

You only get a bit of bonus xp (I think enough to start at level 3 instead of 1) and a bit of gold when you import. You don't keep your stats, gear or anything else. So just make the party you want to make with the races you want, and roll up a fresh version of that in each game and save yourself from potential disaster.

Ladonna

Arcane
Okay, before I go any further I want to check something. If I want to import my party into Phantasie 2 and then eventually 3, is it okay to take a random monster or two that only live to age 50? I'm thinking I could import the other 4 if the 2 monsters die of old age and make 2 new characters in Phantasie 2. I figure they wouldn't include that option if they didn't want u to use it. Thoughts on this please? :)

Yeah, all good. Maybe take a Minotaur for number 1 ;)

Or Just roll a new party for each.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Now I'm curious...does the #1 slot matter, as in that's the leader and they are more important than the others or something?

Sinatar

Arbiter

Now I'm curious...does the #1 slot matter, as in that's the leader and they are more important than the others or something?

I think enemies are more likely to attack characters closer to the front, but beyond that it shouldn't matter.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Monsters have two problems: age and cost to train. The former issue is not a big deal, as you could just import the elves/dwarves/gnomes into PII and replace any elderly characters with new ones. The second issue is more of a problem... early on, your monster characters will fall way behind as it becomes prohibitively expensive to level them up. They just don't seem to be worth the hassle, honestly, if you look at the max attributes by race table in the manual (for example, trolls are SLIGHTLY stronger and healthier than dwarves, but worse in every other area PLUS don't live as long PLUS cost way more to train).

Cost to train gets brutal. I used to want tons of monster characters because they're badass, but basically couldn't level any of them due to the expense. Maybe you could get away with one monstrous character? I wouldn't do any more than that because the trainers are all racist.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I read crpg's review of P3 and he said he had several million gold. Yeesh. I think i just regrinded dungeons esp the one with the lesser deity. Good xp ok loot. Stupid disk failed in the end just before the last battle. I was quite annoyed. Didn't own the other games until emulation. Which is odd as I tried to get all the SSI fantasy/sci-fi. I think i missed phantasi 2-3, demon's winter, rings of zilfin, gemstone healer, sword of arragon, both Road wars (damn), They just weren't in stock. I should have mail ordered.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
But if I can nab a monster with a Charisma of say, 8-12? That would be okay then? Maybe? Please say yes? Haha. I really want to use monsters! :)

Maybe using a single monster and rerolling until you get as high CHA as possible would be doable. I recommend a Minotaur Fighter for that, but won't spoil the reason why (;)). I do believe, however, that using monsters at all is basically handicapping yourself.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
But its awesome. Why mobs as characters? Maybe it dates back to the old d&d whitebox, judges guild, thieve's guild, mayfair games & products and the like. You be a roving pack of ogres/trolls/bugbears or elves/pixies/sprites or kobold/goblin onaholes or a herd of smelly cow minotaurs MOOOOOOOOO!!!

Rolling them up is a pain though.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
grab0001.png

Just made it back from my first expedition. A nasty duo of a lord and a ranger killed half my party, but these three guys that made it back each got over 1800 XP. I don't even know if that's a lot, I've only barely skimmed the manual.

I'm having fun. Gotta go purge the dead and roll some new guys. :D If only I actually had time for this...

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. I found a small temple in the northwest of Pelnor. Any idea what that is used for? I couldn't seem to enter it or do much of anything. Maybe lacking a certain spell or something?

Ladonna

Arcane
Hey guys. I found a small temple in the northwest of Pelnor. Any idea what that is used for? I couldn't seem to enter it or do much of anything. Maybe lacking a certain spell or something?

Have you fully explored the dungeon outside Pelnor?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The minute to minute gameplay of this one is quite engaging for a nerd like me. :) I dig this one a lot!

Rincewind , what is eXoDOS? Something we all should be downloading for all those systems as well? I'd love an Amiga, Atari ST, Apple II, DOS complete collection of RPGs at least (if that exists).

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The minute to minute gameplay of this one is quite engaging for a nerd like me. :) I dig this one a lot!
Rincewind , what is eXoDOS? Something we all should be downloading for all those systems as well? I'd love an Amiga, Atari ST, Apple II, DOS complete collection of RPGs at least (if that exists).

Okay, this will be an awareness-raising post to some of the excellent work our brave software archivists have been doing lately.

TOSEC (all platforms known to man)

The Old School Emulation Center (TOSEC) is a retrocomputing initiative dedicated to the cataloging and preservation of software, firmware and resources for microcomputers, minicomputers and video game consoles. The main goal of the project is to catalog and audit various kinds of software and firmware images for these systems.

https://cors.archive.org/details/tosec

Lots of good stuff here, it's amazing.

Gamebase64

Collection of all C64 games in existence, pretty good.

FTP:
hostname: 8bitfiles.net
username: anonymous (and no password, that's it )

Look around in /gamebase_64/Games/, the games are alphabetically organised into folders.

eXoDOS (MS-DOS)

From their official site:

eXoDOS is an attempt to catalog, obtain, and make playable every game developed for the DOS and PC Booter platform. Striving to find original media rather than using scene rips. [...] This pack includes 7,000 DOS games. The focus is on games that were either released in English or are fairly easy to play without a knowledge of the native language. This is not every DOS game ever made, however it is a very high percentage of all commercial releases. There are thousands of freeware, homebrew, and shareware games that will continue to be added in future packs.

Version 5.0 is a bit north of 500 gigs though, so quite large. However, how much does a 2TB HDD cost these days? Like 50 bucks? Well worth the money, if you ask me. But you can just get the lite version, which is just about 50 gigs (contains the basics and all the magazine scans, then you can download only what you're interested in on first launch).

Alternatively, version 3.x was split into multiple parts per genre (RPGs, adventures, action, strategy, etc.) You're not really missing out on anything if you only download the 3.x RPG pack instead of the full 5.0 release (probably some really obscure games were added in 5.0 but who cares). You can get the 3.x files from The Eye (see below as well), or if you're not afraid of rutracker.net (and if your friendly ISP is not blocking it... but a VPN of course helps with that problem :P), you can find the 3.x collection torrents there (Google translate is your friend).

They also have another excellent collection for all of them ScummVM adventures (including datafiles for all games on almost all known platforms).

Retroplay WHDLoad Collection (Amiga)

The Retroplay WHDLoad Collection contains enthusiast-mainted HDD installers for pretty much every commercial Amiga game in existence (most of those are officially disk-only games). The whole collection is available on an FTP site (the English Amiga Board fileserver), and there was a Google Drive mirror as well which seems to be down at the moment. You can find more info about it on how to access the FTP in this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61028

There's tons of other good stuff on the EAB fileserver, for example, they host mirrors of the TOSEC archives for all Atari and Commodore machines. Some file paths to whet your appetite:

/Retroplay WHDLoad Packs/Commodore_Amiga_-_WHDLoad_-_Games/
Alphabetical folders, about 4GB

/Non Amiga/Atari/ATARi-TOSEC-2021-08-08/ST/Games/[ST]/Atari ST - Games - [ST] (TOSEC-v2020-07-12).zip
All Atari ST games, 2GB archive

/Non Amiga/Commodore/Commodore-TOSEC-2021-08-08/C64/Games/[D64]/Commodore C64 - Games - [D64] (TOSEC-v2021-07-26).zip
All C64 games disk images, 5GB archieve

/Non Amiga/Commodore/Commodore-TOSEC-2021-08-08/C64/Games/[T64]/Commodore C64 - Games - [T64] (TOSEC-v2021-07-26).zip
All C64 tape images, 900Mb archieve

There's tons of other good stuff, OS images, ROM images, magazines, demos, book scans, you name it.

Amiga Dungeoneering Collection

By one of our esteemed codexers:

Over 60 games for now, more games will be eventually added. With manuals, maps, box scans and whatever else.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/amiga-dungeoneering-collection.84467/

Also here:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2013/10/amiga-dungeoneering-collection-over-60.html

The Eye

Last but not least, The Eye is a web based front-end of one of the largest archival projects dedicated to the preservation of the collective human knowledge. They actively encourage leeching all the shit you can from their site without limits. It's unfortunately down at the moment due to a server upgrade, but you can find the eXoDOS 3.x collections there, scans of all sorts of magazines (including all Dragon magazines), and tons and tons and tons of other exciting stuff. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hey Rincewind , i really owe u one for this! Wow! Can't wait to leech away and fill a 2tb HDD with this stuff. I have a couple 2 tb's already so i can just clear one and make sure to grab all this stuff. Thank u so much. This is gonna be FUN! :D

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
hey Rincewind , i really owe u one for this! Wow! Can't wait to leech away and fill a 2tb HDD with this stuff. I have a couple 2 tb's already so i can just clear one and make sure to grab all this stuff. Thank u so much. This is gonna be FUN! :D

Yeah man, just DO IT, keep the backups safe, make copies for your friends, torrent them, etc. If we the enthusiasts don't collect and preserve our digital past, no one else will!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Have you guys come across this?
http://capsdi.free.fr/

There's a magnet link that contains a ~3GB archive of all Amiga disk images captured by the Software Preservation Society (SPS). Those images are supposed to be the original factory disk images (so uncracked originals), containing all physical information about the disk (basically images similar to what those commercial disk replicators used back in the day, that's how they did all those copy protections that was impossible to copy on normal hardware). WinUAE is capable of using those special images using a plugin, as explained on their webpage.

So what this means is that we might have found the pristine originals of P1 and P3! I'm downloading the torrent now, should be here in 4-5 hours.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
So, uh... anyone ever dealt with MSX emulation? I found a translation for Phantasie 4 (MSX) by one Django, but I can't seem to make it work. It's in a dsk format and seems to be based on "Phantasie IV - The Birth of Hero (1991)(Starcraft)(jp)(Disk 2 of 2)(User Disk)" (whose header, strangely, reads "Scenario Disk #1"), but I can't for the life of me boot it. The booting is done from "Phantasie IV - The Birth of Hero (1991)(Starcraft)(jp)(Disk 1 of 2)(Scenario Disk)", but then the game is in moonrunes. WTF?
I have some experience with it, but not with translated software. The issue with the version you found seems to be it isn't complete. You can find one that's complete here. It works...you might have to do frequent disk swapping though.

Thanks, man. I confirm that the torrent has 2 disk images and "player disk" runs and is translated.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Phantasie
Did a ton of exploring and also cleared the second dungeon (and discovered the third one). Highest level now is 7 for my fighter. I haven't had to stop and grind exp/gold so far, but I did explore every tile (except water) on the first three wilderness maps.

[EDIT: Maybe not so] I can't believe how utterly broken the age mechanic is in this game. I'm not even sure how viable dwarves and gnomes are for transferring to P2 and P3, never mind humans and monsters!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom