Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ups such fail yesterday, I forgot not in above message. Fixed now.
I need to start checking what I write before clicking post...

So that's it for Phoenix Point then? Bad last DLC and into the dumpster bin of history it goes?
I would not call it bad, it is just very not hype worthy. It is also a very cheap one. You get what you pay for. It is certainly much more than Horse armor for those 5$.
Buggy armor?
It was a reference to the famous Bethesda's DLC..
So was my reply!

ArchAngel

Arcane

Here is a video about some of changes mod will have, explained by one of the two guys that started the whole project and got others to join as well.

Visperas

Augur
Did it really lose its audience though? How did the game sell? Do we have the numbers? Personally, I want the company to succeed and try to make another turn based tactics. Also, is there any way to follow the progress of the Long War-style mod for Phoenix Point?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The approach they took was doomed to fail from the start, epic or not. The assumption that the epic deal killed off any possibility of the game gaining a community that would keep it semi-alive, make mods etc is probably correct. I just ain't sure if such possibility ever existed in the first place.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Did it really lose its audience though? How did the game sell? Do we have the numbers? Personally, I want the company to succeed and try to make another turn based tactics. Also, is there any way to follow the progress of the Long War-style mod for Phoenix Point?
You really don't want them to make any more TB games, trust me.
Phoenix Rising mod team is only 6 months old and it wasn't doing much for part of that time. Something as large as Long War in changes to vanilla PP is at least 6 months away and probably much more.

Visperas

Augur
Phoenix Rising mod team is only 6 months old and it wasn't doing much for part of that time. Something as large as Long War in changes to vanilla PP is at least 6 months away and probably much more.

Really? The experience with them was that bad? I mean, the game is not great but it's a pretty good TB tacticool, right? Why do you say I don't want more TB from them?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Really? The experience with them was that bad? I mean, the game is not great but it's a pretty good TB tacticool, right? Why do you say I don't want more TB from them?
I don't want any more Xcom likes from them, they can keep doing smaller games. I will go into more details once DLC5 is out as I am still under NDA.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
PP will probably be looked on as... wait, what is PP?

Also, it was not an attempt at recapturing x-com at all, unless you mean that one xcom that ruined tactical games forever, somehow managing that despite the fact they were already ruined before it came out.
Forever? No. Longer. To the end of time and beyond!

Being dramatic much? All nuxcom did was causing other games to be made that copied some of its gameplay - including how the movement works. Similar things happens all the time in this business. As time passes the memory of the success of such title starts to fade and at some point a new "holy grail" is made and majority starts to copy it mindlessly instead of the previous one. This is the circle of life (of game industry).
In addition, the movement is only ruining a game if you want to make it somewhat realistic or complex. If you want a more abstract or/and gamey system, it could work - could if everyone and their dog weren't concentrated on copying the "winning" formula without thinking.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So, instead of making non-points and childish button-rating, care to give me a short summary of the health and condition of non-indie (not like those aren't 90+% infected with nuxcom rot, too) tactical game market since the first nuxcom and share examples of titles that disprove the painfully obvious truism of it turning the landscape into a complete wasteland that even its own sequel couldn't survive to the point of franchise getting turned into capeshit card battler? I'll make it easy for you and you can start with that game made by the godfather of the genre that was supposed to make us all his bitches and bring back the good times... oooh, wait.

lightbane

Arcane
Can't wait to hear what kind of shady story there's behind the development of this game.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't wait to hear what kind of shady story there's behind the development of this game.
A once great dev, who earns more on his name than actual current skill, moves to a country with very cheap labour. Promises the world, pockets kicstarter money, cheap crew he got can't implement most of the cool ideas. Result is merely mediocre, with crappy art, and very buggy on release. IMO, no scam involved, just incompetence all around.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A once great dev, who earns more on his name than actual current skill, moves to a country with very cheap labour. Promises the world, pockets kicstarter money, cheap crew he got can't implement most of the cool ideas. Result is merely mediocre, with crappy art, and very buggy on release. IMO, no scam involved, just incompetence all around.

Yeah that seems to be about the size of it (although I'm a bit more favourable towards the game than you evidently are :) ).

lightbane

Arcane

That's the basics yes, but judging Angel's latest reaction, who used to be the most vocal shill, that means there's much more hidden beneath. I'm betting abuse of power at minimum.

ArchAngel

Arcane

That's the basics yes, but judging Angel's latest reaction, who used to be the most vocal shill, that means there's much more hidden beneath. I'm betting abuse of power at minimum.
??
What abuse of power?!
This is not such a big drama lol.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Take a drive on the wild side with DLC 5: Kaos Engines on PC, PlayStation, Stadia, and Xbox. This vehicular-focused DLC features a brand new vehicle, the Kaos Buggy, and tons of vehicle customization options for all your existing vehicles, too. Plus, try out new and unpredictable Kaos Tech weaponry: great power, but also great risk!

Kaos Engines includes:

NEW Vehicle and Vehicle Customizations and Upgrades
NEW Weapons
NEW Missions, Marketplace, and More!

Launch trailer music features "DOTKOV - Get Ugly," coming soon on Sentinels Records.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom