Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Xenonauts from the same dev
Same dev? Goldhawk Interactive has nothing to do with Gollop games dude.
Yeah my mistake. Goes to show how much better what originally was a fan made game has become.
Xenonauts is not better. It is a bad copy of Open Xcom. I would suggest to people to always play Open Xcom over Xenonauts
Xenonauts is still much better attempt than UFO 2:Extraterrestials for example.
Besides wasn't Xenonauts released before Open X-com was complete?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing can compare with real simulations in Phoenix Point tactical battles.

Unfortunately, XCOM games are not played only on the tactical layer.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Nothing can compare with real simulations in Phoenix Point tactical battles.

Unfortunately, XCOM games are not played only on the tactical layer.
do-you-speak-it.gif

eXalted

Arcane
Nothing is better than OpenXcom.

Even Xenonauts - the only thing it makes me do, while I fight with the UI, is to just play OpenXom.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Nothing is better than OpenXcom.

Even Xenonauts - the only thing it makes me do, while I fight with the UI, is to just play OpenXom.
Even if UI was perfect, except for real time air combat it has nothing that Open Xcom didn't do better. They could not even recreate features Xcom had (like Psionics for players or completely destructible terrain including UFOs)

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always remember that Jake Solomon interview where he said the very first thing they did was do a vertical slice of a 1:1 remake of X-Com in 3-d. But they said it turned out to be fiddly (not sure if that was the word he used, but it's the impression I got) and not-fun.

My guess is rather that they felt they couldn't do a 1:1 remake and had to do something "different," so they scrapped that and eventually ended up with the XCOM series (and clones and ripoffs) that we've got - which, to be fair, isn't that bad of a game in its own right, just was never really like X-Com.

But I would really like to see that original Firaxis 1:1 X-Com game. I think that's all anyone has ever wanted from a remake, just the same thing with snazzy graphics. I think most people could handle whatever fiddliness it entails, if they could handle the fiddliness of the original game. But I suppose ultimately Firaxis was looking for a wider audience.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I always remember that Jake Solomon interview where he said the very first thing they did was do a vertical slice of a 1:1 remake of X-Com in 3-d. But they said it turned out to be fiddly (not sure if that was the word he used, but it's the impression I got) and not-fun.

My guess is rather that they felt they couldn't do a 1:1 remake and had to do something "different," so they scrapped that and eventually ended up with the XCOM series (and clones and ripoffs) that we've got - which, to be fair, isn't that bad of a game in its own right, just was never really like X-Com.

But I would really like to see that original Firaxis 1:1 X-Com game. I think that's all anyone has ever wanted from a remake, just the same thing with snazzy graphics. I think most people could handle whatever fiddliness it entails, if they could handle the fiddliness of the original game.
There is some gameplay video from that early version, it looked better than what we got.

eXalted

Arcane
That was a good decision on their part. I like playing XCOM2 (Long War 2). If a game is too similar to the classic one, the "why do I just not play the original" feeling will start creeping up like with Xenonauts.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
(Trying to make a new XCOM game with nufiraxis repository of Sims2 production values and "for 4yo and up" boardgame-like arbitrary rulesets)
-Hey, Jake. Remember how that old-ass XCOM gaem had the framework that allowed for unparalleled freedom and creativity in gameplay and doing some p crazy shit? Like using high-powered manually guided munition to punch a hole in the roof of a giant, multi-floor alien battleship to then drop flying power armor commando dudes through there to eliminate enemy commander in a swift precise strike without battling through hordes of grunts on the lower floors. That's fiddly and no-fun, right?
-You know, now that you put it that way, that does sound fiddly and un-fun.
-Let's just blame it on action points being too high iq for modern gaymers and roll with plan b.
-Not like it's untrue, lmao.

ArchAngel

Arcane
(Trying to make a new XCOM game with nufiraxis repository of Sims2 production values and "for 4yo and up" boardgame-like arbitrary rulesets)
-Hey, Jake. Remember how that old-ass XCOM gaem had the framework that allowed for unparalleled freedom and creativity in gameplay and doing some p crazy shit? Like using high-powered manually guided munition to punch a hole in the roof of a giant, multi-floor alien battleship to then drop flying power armor commando dudes through there to eliminate enemy commander in a swift precise strike without battling through hordes of grunts on the lower floors. That's fiddly and no-fun, right?
-You know, now that you put it that way, that does sound fiddly and un-fun.
-Let's just blame it on action points being too high iq for modern gaymers and roll with plan b.
-Not like it's untrue, lmao.
That sounds too complicated. My team just stayed in Skyranger and used MC to get other aliens to murder their commander (or disable him with those ranged weapons aliens use).

Latelistener

Arcane

But I would really like to see that original Firaxis 1:1 X-Com game. I think that's all anyone has ever wanted from a remake, just the same thing with snazzy graphics. I think most people could handle whatever fiddliness it entails, if they could handle the fiddliness of the original game. But I suppose ultimately Firaxis was looking for a wider audience.
The guy decided that he's the smartest and ditched random level generation in XCOM. Then basically admitted that he was wrong and something was amiss and added it to XCOM 2.

So, if you follow that trajectory maybe XCOM 3 will have even more features from the original X-COM, as the guy will slowly realize that the game from 90s is more fun than his because it has better design he desperately tried to get away from because he thought that "1:1 remake was not fun"?

I also noticed that some games recently are moving from away from his limited 2AP system to time units, like Last Spell or Troubleshooter.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

The guy decided that he's the smartest and ditched random level generation in XCOM. Then basically admitted that he was wrong and something was amiss and added it to XCOM 2.

So, if you follow that trajectory maybe XCOM 3 will have even more features from the original X-COM, as the guy will slowly realize that the game from 90s is more fun than his because it has better design he desperately tried to get away from because he thought that "1:1 remake was not fun"?

I also noticed that some games recently are moving from away from his limited 2AP system to time units, like Last Spell or Troubleshooter.

I actually thought the 2AP system was a good discipline, particularly in the first game. It made the first game sort of clean, fast and simple, board-game-like, which definitely had its own charm. And the success of the game showed that their instincts about that were right - it had a broad audience. I thought that the 2AP design started to fall apart more and more as they started trying to introduce more simulationist elements. It seems to me that the more simulation you aspire to, the more you need a more generous and flexible AP system.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Nah, he'll learn nothing and make it more like Chimera Squad or Midnight Sons.
They've been slowly getting rid of the expendable soldier formula and replacing them with super heroes.
Hell, in XCOM 2 they gave you literal super saiyans.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I actually thought the 2AP system was a good discipline, particularly in the first game. It made the first game sort of clean, fast and simple, board-game-like, which definitely had its own charm. And the success of the game showed that their instincts about that were right - it had a broad audience. I thought that the 2AP design started to fall apart more and more as they started trying to introduce more simulationist elements. It seems to me that the more simulation you aspire to, the more you need a more generous and flexible AP system.
I thought that PP's system was a good compromise between TUs and APs.
It was still an action point system, but movement didn't consume all of your APs so you still had some tactical flexibility and it reduced the frustration of misclicking and wasting a whole AP on an error.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It was still an action point system, but movement didn't consume all of your APs so you still had some tactical flexibility and it reduced the frustration of misclicking and wasting a whole AP on an error.
Honestly, I feel the difference between PPs system and x-com TU system is mostly in presentation and x-com providing a lot more granularity for the actual actions (turning, crouching, snap/accurate/burst fire, moving things from ground to hand vs ground to backpack...). Weapons in PP always cost 25%, 50% or 75% of your TUs to fire, whereas x-com has numbers like 65% or 33%.

This is of course very different from firaxcom, where you only get to attack once per turn, and moving a single tile consumes as much ap as up to half your total max.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It was not AP system, it just made all actions other than movement cost 0% TU, 25% TU, 50% TU , 75% TU or 100% TU unlike UFO where it could cost anything from 10% to 75%. As a result it made gameplay easier for many players while not really losing advantages of TU

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Fair enough. It is true that in game they were called AP and you had 4 of them, but I can see the argument that that is merely a cosmetic feature and could just as easily be replaced by a percentage bar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom