Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
in which aliens become conventional overlords and you play as lame ass guerillas against the alien-led government
I thought it was exactly the sort of revolution you'd root for against a bourgeoisie overlord.
Commie

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why would I play this game when I can play NU-XCOM instead?
I prefer the setting and the visual design of it, but oh well. Not worth it if it's too subpar.

Problem is that the setting and visual design is like more or less exactly the same as NU-XCOM............ same plastic Power Rangers designs. It is kind of weird to say one is better than the other.
Setting is nothing like nuXcom, claiming that means you are either retarded or lying. Yea, general design of basic PP soldiers does look like it a bit but not enemy and many other humans you meet.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Playing this with all DLC and mods now and it's quite pleasant. The skies one seems very ignorable, I had like one aerial battle so far and it was just a bit shit, but I liked the way the flier was guarding a corrupted haven and I needed to take it out to attack that haven. Difficulty level seems just about perfect, I'm staying afloat, able to make progress on research and have just enough resources to rearm and manufacture a few extras, as long as I go trade food with the other factions. I don't know why I've buddied up with Synedrion, I wasn't trying/planning to but it's just gone that way, the other factions are slowly warming up to me too, I guess that's just the default. Seems a bit too easy to get everyone on your side.
All-in-all seems better than when I tried it ages ago although it's hard to say why. UI does and I guess will always feel so cheap, art design and direction took a terrible wrong turn as we all know but the tactical combat is good.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I never really played this, bounced off it hard when it released due to the disgusting Nu-xcom taint. Figured I would try again now that it has all the DLC. Any reason to play this first time without the Void mod they are promoting? Cos we all know mods make everything better right ("it just works!")?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Tried it a few months ago, it's only superficially nuCxom. The tactical layer is vaguely the same ballgame and it's...fine. But the overworld is totally different and it didn't grab me at all. Your mileage may vary tho.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So what would you guys say are the main issues with the game in its current state?

Game was sold as a return to the roots of XCOM UFO Base Defense, what it ended up being was an indie unpolished version of Nu-XCOM. Why would I play this game when I can play NU-XCOM instead?
Because it has 2x better mechanics than nu-Xcom. It is like saying why would I play Pathfinder Kingmaker when I can play Dragon Age 2.

What is the best Nu-XCOM game in your guys opinion?

UFO Defense (the first one) is the best old XCOM correct? Never played this franchise

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
None of them are really that good unfortunately. The firaxcoms flaws are well known, PP and xenonauts are both very flawed.

I think if I had to pick I'd say Long War, but it really depends on how much you hate firaxcom.
---
I started a new campaign in this yesterday with the void mod. Ambushes giving resource boxes is a great change, I'm less convinced by the apparent changes to overwatch (or maybe it was always janky). I'm also running with the recommended better vehicles/better soldiers mod. Soldier mod feels incredibly eh so far, not sure about vehicles, but so far the chaos buggy is helping a lot, and the ability to construct +4 carrying capacity modules for your ships is great.

But it's still really early on so we'll see.

spectre

Arcane
UFO Defense (the first one) is the best old XCOM correct? Never played this franchise
I'd describe UFO Defense as the one that gives you the best-tailored experience, though you should run it with OpenXcom for compatibility, fixes as well as a whole bunch of QoL.
Terror from the Deep brings a bunch of improvements (irrelevant with OpenXcom), more challenge (the first one is rather short, especially when you know what you're doing),
but also more tedium with multi-stage missions and a bunch weapons only working underwater.
It also has this Lovecraftian vibe.

People swear that Apocalypse is a decent game. Not saying it isn't, especially by modern standards, by my experience was sullied back then by the crappy early 3D candy "design"
which felt like a slap in the face after the first two. It did bring some interesting stuff to the table.

Im probably not the one to ask since my gag reflex kicks in the moment I recognize the reused shooting, aiming and running animations all the SEXCUM clones seem to be lifting from the Firaxis version.
Phoenix Point, for all its flaws, was the least offensive in this regard.
I would hesitantly second Troubleshooter, though the dweeb aesthetics was too much for me.
Out of the bunch, I didn't get play the nuChaos Gate, so perhaps someone who did could elaborate.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I recognize the reused shooting, aiming and running animations all the SEXCUM clones seem to be lifting from the Firaxis version.

think ill go with the 2013 one (enemy unknown)

it seems it was the first nuxcom and it would not surprise me to be the best one

how would you guys describe the features of an "xcom" game anyway? is syndicate wars similar to the first xcom?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I recognize the reused shooting, aiming and running animations all the SEXCUM clones seem to be lifting from the Firaxis version.

think ill go with the 2013 one (enemy unknown)

it seems it was the first nuxcom and it would not surprise me to be the best one

how would you guys describe the features of an "xcom" game anyway? is syndicate wars similar to the first xcom?
I would not go with the base game. It is pretty bad. Better to go with Long War Rebalanced for Xcom 1 if you must play that.
If you want to go nuXcom but no mods, Xcom 2 with expansion is better game.

But I think Phoenix Point is better yet.

spectre

Arcane
Well, if Renowned Explorers counts, everyone who hasn't played Invisible Inc. totally should.
Regarding RE, I played it a bit. It's a roguelike and wasn't unfun, but very simple and quickly gets repetitive.

But I thought we were talking about stuff like Hard West, Phantom Doctrine and Mutant Year Zero, etc.

spectre

Arcane
Strategic view with research and base building + tactical resolution of ground combat (some would probably count tactical air combat).
Most people will cite high combat lethality as a defining factor as even trained veterans can go splat due to high explosives, reaction fire, or get skullfucked by an alien parasite.
Therefore, the thing you do is churn through a steady supply of expendable, green troops, those who survive the first couple of missions become your treasured veterans.
At some point in the game you hit technological parity with the aliens, but if you don't stay on your toes, the game is quick to punish that.

The Firaxis SEXCUM clones (let's use proper notation to stay on the same page) try to ape the original, but ultimately come short in a bunch of ways.
They try to celebrate the "lethality" of original's combat, but do not provide the scale to make it happen (4-6 units is not enough, the original's scale is about 2x).
Another counter productive thing is unlocking tactical abilities through character progression.
Not to mention, a whole bunch of questionable design choices, like aliens getting a free turn and not being active on the map until you "trigger" them.

There are also plenty of tiny details the clones tend to miss. One is ballistics - in the original, a burst at point blank means everything in that cone of fire is in danger,
friend or foe, because that shot needs to land somewhere, making cqb especially brutal.
Another is full environmental destructibility, opening new avenues for approach. If you don't want to risk CQB in a barn, just blow the walls up. If the aliens are eyeballing the main door,
make a new one.
Yet another is the strategic layer, which actually simulates enemies running around and doing stuff. This has effect on gameplay - you can deduce where alien bases are located by analyzing
global sighting reports and if you detect a big alien ship and fail to shoot it down, it is going to execute its mission - establish a base, start a terror site, sway a country to deny your funding.
If you keep shooting UFOs down in an area, they will start running search patterns to find your base, if you discover an alien base, you can leave it be to milk the supply ships for E-115, etc.
This all runs under the hood and not just through random events, and you get to catch a glimpse of the inner workings once you get to decode alien communications.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I actually might give this one a spin. Tbh, it completely slipped under my radar with all the zombie games coming out in the recent years, looking all same-ish.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I actually might give this one a spin. Tbh, it completely slipped under my radar with all the zombie games coming out in the recent years, looking all same-ish.

it completely went under my radar too. I really don't view it as a zombie game only, more like JA2 successor

I think it went under everyone's radar. But I like that, the guys are really busy with the game and working in their bubble (instead of sucking cocks on twitter and making empty promises)

I made a new thread but Shillfinitron merged it and wouldn't even post on the main page. Good overview by me here

Jinn

Arcane
Urban Strife would have been way cooler and more interesting without the zombies, but there's enough good stuff going on there that I'm still excited about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom