Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Probably
TrumpSmug.png

"Told you assholes not to shut us down!"

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've already read all of them but my doubt expressed above remains. Well, I think I'll to wait for any other clues...

PanteraNera

Arcane
I've already read all of them but my doubt expressed above remains. Well, I think I'll to wait for any other clues...
Oh boy, now that I think about it, it is not easy to come up with a good reason why they did not took actions since 2027, the game starts at 2047 that would be 20 years of not doing anything.

One thing might be, that PP had no operative's just eggheads.

I do sometimes get the vibe, that PP is not anymore and you (the commander) are actually "just" someone who found the base and you get clue's ingame that there are more cell's and that way you learn more and more about Project Phoenix and why it is not anymore.

But yeah, I hope it's a reasonable story ...

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe it's an organization in name only. They failed, humanity collapsed, then years later a random dude picked up an old leaflet that mention Phoenix Point and how they were fighting the good fight and decided to take up the mantle as a last hurray before the coming extinction.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Maybe it's an organization in name only. They failed, humanity collapsed, then years later a random dude picked up an old leaflet that mention Phoenix Point and how they were fighting the good fight and decided to take up the mantle as a last hurray before the coming extinction.
With Three-Dog on the radio, Ohhh Yeahh :lol: :hahano: :cry:

PanteraNera

Arcane
Too trivial? I think so...

idiocracy-royaume-idiots-lamericain-moyen-est-L-2.jpeg
Idiocracy :D

Honestly we know not enough at this point, maybe PP was active before 2047, but yeah I absolutely get your concern and share it.

I try to get an answer from Allen Stoud, but I think it is very unlikely that he will give any answer in much detail, at most something very vague.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
I try to get an answer from Allen Stoud
That would be great. The focal point, imo, is this:

If we’re going to survive, we’ve got to fight back. The
resistance has to start here. Otherwise, in a year, no-one
will be left alive. We need to learn from the past to find
new solutions – better ways to take the fight to the enemy.

Why they start the resistance in 2047 when only one year remains before complete annihilation? Where has the Phoenix Project been in the last 20 years? What about others cells?

but I think it is very unlikely that he will give any answer in much detail, at most something very vague.
Something is better than nothing.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Hello .Some people and I are somewhat worried about the story regarding the Phoenix Project, I know it is to early to draw any conclusions especially as the lore is not finished/fully released . The concern is: why didn't do PP anything before 2047? We speculated that the player (the commander) is not part of PP but found the base, that PP failed, but yeah it's kinda hard to imaging how to pull this of while being believable . Thank you in advance for your time! And just to clarify it, we all are big fan's of the work you have done so far, can't wait for more stories from you.

AllenStroud
@PanteraNera Plus actually your question is a general one, so may benefit other people. The answer is... in the fiction. We've already alluded to why the Phoenix Project didn't solve things earlier in some of the stories and more of this will come out in the writing. I can't give definitive answers because that would spoil the developing story. That said, I'm glad you're curious and its making you think about it and discuss it.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Well done, let's hope they have developed a coherent story that can dispel any doubt.
I really hope so.
I think chance are high with Allen Stoud as he actually is a professor on University for creative writing and has a degree (or doctor?) in "world-building".
But than again I tend to be fabulous optimistic :P

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I have been reading the short stories and the game has a pretty strong lore. Enough material here for several games.
Tho i am a sucker for Lovecraft :)

PanteraNera

Arcane
AllenStroud
No @PanteraNera there is no story currently about the Phoenix Project between 2027 and 2047, because we have more to write. The Briefing 4 offers a linear path for the Disciples of Anu from the past to the present, The Briefing 5 will do a similar job for Synedrion. The Phoenix Project will get their time after that, plus we wouldn't want to give away information related to them that could go into the game.

AllenStroud
Similarly, I've already said, we will not be going into detail on the WW3 period as this will need a more detailed treatment if Phoenix Point is really successful.

PanteraNera

Arcane
I have been reading the short stories and the game has a pretty strong lore. Enough material here for several games.
Tho i am a sucker for Lovecraft :)
Yeah really love what they are doing with their stories and world-building. Let's hope they can get all that good stuff into the game, there was some talk with Allen some time ago were he mentioned that they would somehow "link" the lore into the texts, like hyperlinking, so if you click on a keyword you could read additional stuff. But he stated that this is just an suggestion so far and has not been decided if it get's implemented like that.

PanteraNera

Arcane
That would be nice, if they decide to do it just make it not too flashy and glaring
Probably not, if it goes by Allen's "vision", as he stated that he does not want players to feel forced to read everything, he want's the lore to feel optional.
For a writer I think that is a really decent stance.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
https://www.gamewatcher.com/previews/phoenix-point-preview/12988

Julian Gollop, and his team at Snapshot, are attempting to marry the straightforward playability of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with the depth of X-Com: UFO Defense. Can they succeed?
Okay, immediately we have to say that our first reaction to seeing Phoenix Point in action was thinking it looks exactly like Firaxis’ XCOM. This is a good thing, since the recent XCOM games are popular for a reason – they’re incredibly playable. 3D isometric camera, simple point-and-click interface, and even the two rings of movement Firaxis introduced – move in the first Blue ring and you can still attack or do anything action, or go further into the Yellow movement area and give up your second action. Initially everything feels just like modern XCOM.
Simple and effective, but of course that simplicity is a bone of contention amongst fans who felt that Firaxis went a bit too far with the simplicity, and were hoping X-Com series creator Julian Gollop and Snapshot would re-address the balance. From what we’ve played, we can’t fully confirm that they have (it was only one combat level), but we’re certainly pleased by the additions Snapshot have made.
Have we mentioned how great everything looked? There’s still months of development time to go and just based on this level alone, Phoenix Point looks head and shoulders above XCOM 2. The level of detail in the base in incredible, and the way weird fleshy tendrils snake across the landscape like veins is chilling – and cool, at the same time. Smoke, destruction effects, creatures – we got the impression that none of it was final, and yet we were impressed nonetheless, making us wonder just how good the final version is going to look.
Put simply, Phoenix Point feels like XCOM: Enemy Unknown… but improved, in every way.
Anyone can play Phoenix Point and have a good time, as there are no barriers for entry and you can cleanly see and control your entire squad without confusion.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh....
Anyone can play Phoenix Point and have a good time, as there are no barriers for entry and you can cleanly see and control your entire squad without confusion.
Wut.

I could name a ton of downsides to the nu XCOM games, but "confusing" didn't really come to mind yet.

Mustawd

Eh....
Wut.

I could name a ton of downsides to the nu XCOM games, but "confusing" didn't really come to mind yet.

I think they mean compared to OG X-com? Since it's trying to be more complex than nuXCOM and balance both old and new games.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron

Israfael

Arcane
Not entirely sure if this is all again JG's ineptitude at showing the product (as the Kickstarter implied) or deliberate Fargo-style fraud. Why show a demo if half things that actually have been on top of the list are either not yet implemented or missing, and all the worst parts (phase combat, small squads, probably %-retarded cover system) are in the limelight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom