Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Dodo1610

Arcane
Naval combat, which is just kind of meh.

Of all things, this is the one that most impresses me negatively. Not only the naval combat is bad: everything related to the ship is bad (especially the combat, of course).

In PoE1 the stronghold was the weak point. In PoE2 they screwed up the SAME THING! Seriously, I wonder how the hell the naval combat and the mechanics of the ship were approved and someone said "man, this is pretty good, let's release". At some point someone APPROVED this. HOW?????????

It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't have constanly talked about the ship before release. The ship combat is a bad joke it's boring too slow and feels like something an intern made within a week.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I was saying the ship combat is going to be a gimmick the moment they announced it. If it sounds like a gimmick and looks like a gimmick, it usually is one, and surprise, surprise, it turned out to be a gimmick no-one likes. I avoid it as much as possible, but when I do get into a ship battle I spam 1 and board them immediately, I don't even read any of it.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On my second playthrough, I used Cheat Engine to give myself enough money to buy Junk, Blackwood hull and Dragonwing sails so I can outrun jackasses while travelling on sea. Screw that ship combat.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On my second playthrough, I used Cheat Engine to give myself enough money to buy Junk, Blackwood hull and Dragonwing sails so I can outrun jackasses while travelling on sea. Screw that ship combat.
Why? You could just use the console,it is easier and faster.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
*ears perk up* How can I do that? I learned that starting ordinary text based combat then keep approaching will lead to boarding enemy's ship without wrecking mine, but that still takes too much time that I'd rather spend into free roam in new playthroughs, so being able to avoid it all together would be godsent :mad:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
*ears perk up* How can I do that? I learned that starting ordinary text based combat then keep approaching will lead to boarding enemy's ship without wrecking mine, but that still takes too much time that I'd rather spend into free roam in new playthroughs, so being able to avoid it all together would be godsent :mad:
Hit "~" the button next to 1,then write "iroll20s" enter,do it again and write "GivePlayerMoney 500000" or what ever number you want.

If you want fast boarding there is a mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/4

If you feel like cheesing then you can just spam 1 and then board the ship,most of the times they don't even get the chance to fire.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Yes, the ship combat sucks. I was hoping they would flesh it out, but ultimately it's just a gimmick that can be easily ignored.

I do actually prefer Caed Nua in the first game, because despite being tedious it was mechanically sound. Count that as the first and only thing I like better about Pillars of Eternity 1.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This is a classic example of gamers saying what they want versus what they actually want.

I've heard a million times before that people are sick of being the chosen one and saving the world, and just want to be treated like a normal guy. When a game actually does that, they get upset.
It depends, all protagonists have a field of possible action, if you have an story about a guy that is expected to not fight gods, let's say you want a more down to the earth attitude for your story, so the field of action of the protagonist is limited then the antagonist must be limited as well, the antagonist must be placed on the field of possible action of the protagonist or a confront between the two is impossible and the story will be anticlimatic as the protagonist can't do jack shit of importance.

It is okay for the protagonist to not be the chosen one, it is not okay for the protagonist to not be able to do jack shit of importance on the story that is being told.

Not being the chosen one isn't a problem when the story doesn't demand one. When the story says a god stolen your soul and you need to chase him, it is implied a possible confront there, the story can't just dial back and revert the expectation the player had claiming "Whoa dude, you aren't the chosen one, remember that."

This is bait and switch tactics, appealing for epic is a far easier sell but then don't complain when people get annoyed that you tricked them as you created a false expectation. They didn't have confidence that the real conflict of the game, the faction war, would be interesting for a wider audience, then they came up with the Eothas thing. You just made people believe the fight against Eothas was super important and that this was super important for your character to just take the carpet bellow their feet and sell the story you really wanted to tell.

I think they should have come up with a way to make the fight over a bunch of fantasy islands something interesting on its own and invested all on that and didn't use the gods at all.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, this is interesting:

Pillars of Eternity "was about" Woedica
White Marsh - Abydon and Ondra
Deadfire - Berath and Eothas
Beast of Winter - Rymrgand
Seeker, Slayer, Whatever - Galawain
Forgotten Sanctum - Wael?

Still missing: Skaen, Hylea, Magran. All of them have temples on those games, so maybe its complete.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
We're still missing godlikes from Abydon, Woedica, Eothas, Wael, and Skaen.

Hylea:

VtXN1IF.png

Berath:

e7CCqp2.png

Galawain:

yuZqj1Q.png

Rymrgand:

79px-Portrait_vatnir_lg.png

Ondra:

E19IgdW.png
a8Jk2fg.png

Magran:

ExhXWBI.png
x2qBAKq.png

Lacrymas

Arcane
When are they going to focus on actual characters, though? The gods are severely uninteresting, at least they make them as uninteresting as possible. Seeker, Slayer, Survivor has a pretty fun premise, so that might be incline.

-*~ Skaen Godlike ~*-

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I like the gods, and believe the concepts surrounding them are unique and interesting.

With that said, I think Obsidian should take a break from the epic metaphysical storylines and focus on low fantasy conflicts. Political conspiracies, warring kingdoms, ect.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I do actually prefer Caed Nua in the first game, because despite being tedious it was mechanically sound. Count that as the first and only thing I like better about Pillars of Eternity 1.

Nah, Caed Nua was just a tacked-on appendix. The ship is at least a ship. All they'd need to do to fix it is to make a proper naval combat minigame; with Caed Nua the whole thing might as well have not been there.

Sizzle

Arcane

Nah, Caed Nua was just a tacked-on appendix. The ship is at least a ship. All they'd need to do to fix it is to make a proper naval combat minigame; with Caed Nua the whole thing might as well have not been there.

They should also add a lot of ship-related events to make it worthwhile.

I'm still hoping they'll do something like the added Caed Nua quest for companions they added in v3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
At least we got the Helwax Mold from Caed Nua, very interesting item to play around with. The problem with the ship combat is that it's divorced from the rest of the mechanics and it feels as tacked on as Caed Nua. What they should've done is make 1v1 duels with the RTwP combat, with the ship acting like a character. Better ships have more abilities and accessories granting stat bonuses. Along with more random unique encounters, especially with sea monsters that you get to fight with the party.

Once you start adding minigames, you risk it being a gimmick nobody likes, see almost every minigame ever. Forcing it on players is even worse.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
On the topic of ships, I've found mention of characters in the game files called "sea monster heads." If anyone remembers, sea monsters were a stretch goal that was barely missed during the Fig campaign.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd be careful of declaring anything "confirmed" based on that. Could be they started working on Ydwin companion for the DLC but then stopped, but the references were left in.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
i was about to give the game another try when i read about the ship combat. thx for helping me dodge this crappy bullet again.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ship combat isn't the biggest problem, the worse is the pacing wich is cleary the worse i seen in a rpg ever. Dont even start the main quest before doing every sidequest as it break them, rushing you in some situations closing everything, then of course missing most content.Dont even try to solve them in the wrong order , it also break them. Plot is also forgettable and unveiled extremely fast.
Really sad, there's lot of work in some areas, graphics are really what to expect from a BG3, even lot of care into maps. But its shallow , with mostly 3 rooms dungeons , left click solve all combats , far too many feats and passives perks adding so little, you just end up not bothering with templates and builds since it doesnt matter at all.
Keep the scripters, and artist , hire mca as writer , fire sawyer and just put some random neckbeard AD&D 2E DM enthusiast as director instead and i am pretty sure you could get a real BG3.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Ship combat isn't the biggest problem, the worse is the pacing wich is cleary the worse i seen in a rpg ever. Dont even start the main quest before doing every sidequest as it break them, rushing you in some situations closing everything, then of course missing most content.Dont even try to solve them in the wrong order , it also break them. Plot is also forgettable and unveiled extremely fast.
Really sad, there's lot of work in some areas, graphics are really what to expect from a BG3, even lot of care into maps. But its shallow , with mostly 3 rooms dungeons , left click solve all combats , far too many feats and passives perks adding so little, you just end up not bothering with templates and builds since it doesnt matter at all.
Keep the scripters, and artist , hire mca as writer , fire sawyer and just put some random neckbeard AD&D 2E DM enthusiast as director instead and i am pretty sure you could get a real BG3.
i know ship combat isn't the biggest problem. there's also walls of text telling you nothing important. it also has the same not d&d rtwp combat system poe had. actually the only reasons i had for giving it another chance were that it's still new to me and there's nothing else to play. but after i got reminded that this piece of shit also has ilsands and ship combat i decided to keep looking.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Uhhhh no,Caed Nua was 10 times better than the ship as a stronghold. The ship is extremely meh,only times i a look in it was when some world map event spawned me in. You have a room,big room where 20 npc wander aimlessly and animal pen. That is all,nothing in common with a real ship. Even the entrance hall in Cead Nua had more attention put in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom