Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'd much rather a good and simple monomyth hero's story than whatever it is PoE franchise is about.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Apparently there's a faction called The Lifeless that can assist you in the final naval battle. Are they in the base game?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
There are 6 special allies that can come to your assistance in the final naval battle. I've only figured out how to attain 4 of them.

- Scyorielaphas (free him during the Shadow Under Neketaka)
- Rathun (convince their leader to flee Ashen Maw)
- Wahaki (wipe out the slavers and ally with the Huana)
- Slavers (massacre the Wahaki)
- Ruquapa (???)
- Lifeless (???)

It's possible that those are the Fampyrs you can either kill or ally yourself with in Splintered Reef.

I don't think so, because they're referred to specifically as The Lifeless.

Payd Shell

Arcane
i'd much rather a good and simple monomyth hero's story than whatever it is PoE franchise is about.
nah, it's fine if they want to experiment. The Lovecraftian idea of the protagonist is much more alluring for example but it's hard to translate that into a story that works in a game. Taking control away from the player is something that is evidently hard to get right but that's no reason to not try.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
who the hell wrote that ad?

only the vaguest parts of it are in any way true. some of it i can't even think of the smallest connection it might have to the game ("atone with your father").

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
- Rathun (convince their leader to flee Ashen Maw)

How do you do that? I've never even seen the option or a skill check or anything.

I did it on my playthrough. You need to deal with Jadafaleras BEFORE entering Jagged Keep, convince the guard to let you speak to their leader, convince the Rathun leader to let you pass, and then once you open the path to Eothas talk to him again and pass several skill checks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

only the vaguest parts of it are in any way true. some of it i can't even think of the smallest connection it might have to the game ("atone with your father").
That was a joke. The line from the ad they're referring to was "Hunt a god."

The Watcher: (addressing a half-burned Durance) You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! I just do things.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I think the Lifeless actually are the Fampyrs. During the final naval battle, it mentions the lifeless are undead and feast on the flesh of their victims. If you come to an agreement with Menzaggo,he says 'Hold true to your word and I will return the favor, when the time comes.'

That just leaves the Ruquapa. Any idea how to recruit them for the final naval battle?

yes plz

Arcane
Patron

That was a joke. The line from the ad they're referring to was "Hunt a god."

The Watcher: (addressing a half-burned Durance) You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! I just do things.

oh. i figured he added the "(i.e. definitely defeat eothas in combat!") part but the rest seemed like generic marketing you'd see for an RPG.

posting after just waking up probably wasn't a good idea

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
I found a secret way to infliltrate Fort Deadlight. If you have the Rauatai submarine, you can submerge underwater and emerge at the docks.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
UUqsD9t.png

Ulfhednar

Savant
Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

Where did we advertise Deadfire as a monomyth story?

Gee, how could anyone possibly be confused about this?!?

Ulfhednar

Savant
Gee, how could anyone possibly be confused about this?!?
This isn't Project Eternity.
It's the sequel to Project Eternity. And I don't recall the fig update where Josh explained his disdain for Campbellian monomyth and how that would affect the narrative. So putting down your audience's reasonable expectations of more of the same is kind of unwarranted. Especially for a crowd-funded project.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's still a better system than that one designed by sawyer, when each level brings nothing to be enthusiastic about .Plenty of feats , that just bloat the action bar with dubious to mininal effects.The encounters are all similar for my party once, again, i send ender the invicible tank ahead, he tank, party spank. Theres no need of crowd control, nor giving priority to any target , everything works.There's no need to be carefull with your build , its all wasted time.

Umm, try setting higher difficulty then Story mode? On PotD I'm getting plenty of challenge and tactics - at least till level 12.
Also dubious to "minimal effects" of feats? You're kidding, right?

Itemization ? my backpack is full of legendary item , all of them similar ,upgradable in the same way, nothing unique except the talking lesbian sword wich is a nice touch . Once again its bloated with details and stats but they means nothing.

True, the nerfs from the last patch went a bit too far IMO and some previously very interesting pieces of equipment were reduced to like 10% activation chance or 3-5% effects. But it's still WAY better then the holy BG.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I found a secret way to infliltrate Fort Deadlight. If you have the Rauatai submarine, you can submerge underwater and emerge at the docks.
looooool

To get submarine SPOILARZ, you have to literally reach the end of the game, meet Eothas, fight fire giants and dragon, beat all opposition to ruatai including assasinating queen/her brother, at which point you would be skyrocketed to ehh I'd say level 15+ at least
And Deadlight can be beaten right after sailing from prologue, well a lot harder if PoTD, as you can reach it by simply clicking 1 > 1 to ram the docks and assault fort with no preparations required

that's like, the definition of wasted resources on a C&C

But it's still WAY better then the holy BG.
nope.

If you like enchanting which is choosing between a bunch of equally uninspiring 5% options then I guess it's your heaven of course. If you like equipment making or breaking builds and heavily influencing flow of combat, then no.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Umm, try setting higher difficulty then Story mode? On PotD I'm getting plenty of challenge and tactics - at least till level 12.
Also dubious to "minimal effects" of feats? You're kidding, right?

With the most recent patch(1.2?) I'm still getting into some nice challenging battles post level 12 on PotD. If people are interested in how the difficulty curve is now, fear not and don't let people who played only at launch scare you off. I think now is a good time to give it a shot.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Joseph Campbell is a hack, that much is true. The problem, however, like it has always been, is that there is no point to PoE's story for it to subvert anything. They aren't building a monomyth, sure, but they aren't building a coherent narrative at all. Yet, Sawyer is talking like this was a master plan to undermine expectations, which is laughable. They can't write the simplest short story without resorting to contrivances, let alone something 'epic'. The people at Something Awful are also retarded.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sawyer can explain story just like he explains why his design is awesome, but it wouldn't help because story did not work just like many design features. If you need to explain players what your story was about you failed as storyteller.

They could have made Eothas unkillable and ustoppable force of nature, but focus story on the consequences of his actions instead of trying to hump his leg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom